FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Heroes (Page 34)

This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  ...  31  32  33  34   
Author Topic: Heroes
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Have we seen him use super hearing, freezing, melting, or memory?
That depends. We've seen Sylar get those powers (except memory, which I questioned above), and Peter doesn't seem to have to be around people using their powers to steal them, just around the people.

On the other hand, Sylar has never used two powers at once (from what I remember), and so perhaps Peter actually has to be around Sylar when using his powers. Perhaps Sylar "shifts" his brain somehow.

Come to think of it, I don't know that Peter has ever used two powers at the same time either. Perhaps someone can let me know if he has.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

- posted      Profile for graywolfe   Email graywolfe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SC Carver:
Dido on the fat thing.

I'm also getting tired of Sylar and would like to see the new even worse bad guy. "when i think about him he can see me" reminds me of Saraun from LOTR. The eye that never sleeps kind of thing.

No doubt. Since the producer/creator of this is familiar with, and knows the creators of "Lost" you'd think they'd do a better job in creating and casting a villain. While "Lost" has sputtered a lot over the last two years, the casting of Ben was perfection. The actor who plays him has done a few one and done episodes ive caught over the years in other tv shows where he played different sorts of villains, and he always did a beautiful job, layering the character in complexity, nothing too simple, nothing dull, just capturing the idea of what evil could potentially be, even with some good inside.

For all the fun of this season, Sylar was exceptionally one dimensional, and while heading to the last hurdles, they at least provided a glimpse into why Sylar became Sylar (the haunting scene with his mother), they did very little in the way of layering the character with depth, and complexity throughout the season and the casting was at best uninspiring (one of the problems of Heroes reminded me of a comic's reading of the development of "Friends" Circa '94, "Let's make another Seinfeld. Except, let's have no yucky old people!"). One of the weaknesses of Heroes, as much as I like it, has been at times middling casting, and wooden acting, the show mixes dynamic and at least interesting acting and casting, with some really bad choices.

Hopefully next season is fabulous. I'm still not convinced Peter is dead, they didn't actually show us him dying so there is certainly a chance he could still be alive, probably would be best to check him out on imdb.com. If you see a, or some movies in pre-production, usually it's a good bet that if they died in a finale, or appeared to leave a show, they probably really are leaving, at least for a while. One of the shocks to me is that Ali Larter didn't die. While I don't like her character or her acting on the show, she's got a pretty solid movie career under her belt over the last decade or so, and I'm pretty shocked that she appears to be putting it on hold.

Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gsim1337
Member # 10168

- posted      Profile for gsim1337   Email gsim1337         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I forgot about the Chalie thing, but in "The Hard Part" Sylar was freezing the water and using telekenisis at the same time. In they episode where Peter 'dies' Sylar may have been using super hearing as well as telekenisis. When Hiro and Ando were behind the painting he may have used both at the same time, or just one after another.
Posts: 81 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Peter doesn't seem to have to be around people using their powers to steal them, just around the people.
Right, but it doesn't necessarily follow that if he's around somebody with powers, he always absorbs those powers.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gsim1337
Member # 10168

- posted      Profile for gsim1337   Email gsim1337         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and my theory for how Sylar used other peoples powers was that since his original ability was to fix things (I think), he just found what was wrong in other people's dna or their brain, and changed whatever he needed to change inside himself to match. How he did that at first without telekineses, I don't know.
Posts: 81 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

- posted      Profile for graywolfe   Email graywolfe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Christine:
Launchywiggin: I don't think you're being overly negative. I think you're calling it like you see it. I agreed with every word. It was all part of the complete disappointment I felt as I watched that episode. I'm not sure if Heroes will keep me watching next year or not. The writing has been sloppy, inconsistent, and lacking in any dramatic tension. Dragging things out creates boredom not tension, as does withholding information.

The show had promise. That's why I watched for so long. But it never fulfilled that promise. Now I have to decide if I like Hiro enough to stick with it for another season. :=)

I'll definitely keep watching as I enjoy it a great deal, but I have to second, or third or fourth as the case may be, general dissapointment with the climax. I spent the entire time worrying about Parkman (you got to love a guy who keeps getting gig after gig connected to his friendship with JJ Abrams-Alias, Lost, and now Heroes, plust I enjoy his everyman vibe, he looks like a guy all of us would know, and more often than not, they're aren't many characters like that on tv shows one watches) and disinterested and shocked at how thoroughly bunk some of the shots and direction were (two different scenes with Claire and Peter alone on the streets of New York late at night, the city looking artificial as to be laughable).

Gotta agree anyway, was a let down, and I never felt any tension watching the final climatic scene. Just disappointing. I'll still watch it, as I enjoy it, but one can tell that the hands guiding it aren't nearly as sure as those that guided, say Lost in season 1 or 2, 24 in its prime, The Wire, Rome, Deadwood, etc. However it's still a very enjoyable show, and I'm sticking around.

Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BandoCommando:
quote:
Originally posted by ricree101:
quote:
Originally posted by TheHumanTarget:
Has anyone read the new novel that's up? It (unfortunately) provides evidence that D.L. survives...

I'm not sure that really matters, though. Haven't future episodes gone ahead and contradicted the novels in the past? I'm pretty sure I remember it happening, but I can't remember which ones off the top of my head.
If they have, it was in minor details. I can't think of any contradictions.
The novels show Papa Petrelli having no powers. But either Mama Petrelli or Linderman said that he had powers.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
a) what novels? and b) it was Mama Patrelli.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angiomorphism
Member # 8184

- posted      Profile for Angiomorphism           Edit/Delete Post 
No, it was definetly Linderman. When he gave that whole speach about papa Patrelli being weak etc. to Nathan.

And yes, the novels did show dad as not having any powers, which is why I think that Linderman was just lying to Nathan to get him rilled up.

Posts: 441 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JonHecht:
a) what novels? and b) it was Mama Patrelli.

The novels at http://www.nbc.com/heroes/novels
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
papastebu
Member # 10496

- posted      Profile for papastebu           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by gsim1337:
Ok, I forgot about the Charlie thing, but in "The Hard Part" Sylar was freezing the water and using telekenisis at the same time. In they episode where Peter 'dies' Sylar may have been using super hearing as well as telekenisis. When Hiro and Ando were behind the painting he may have used both at the same time, or just one after another.

Kring has verified that Peter is unable to use more than one power at a time. What we don't know is if this is just the way his powers work or if he just doesn't know how, yet. I think that Sylar, because of the nature of his base power, to know how things work and how to make them work together, can make combinations of abilities.
Posts: 15 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
papastebu
Member # 10496

- posted      Profile for papastebu           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
Peter doesn't seem to have to be around people using their powers to steal them, just around the people.
Right, but it doesn't necessarily follow that if he's around somebody with powers, he always absorbs those powers.
In every case that he has absorbed someone's ability, it has been completely automatic, from his patient's dream travel in the beginning, to Isaac's painter-precog, to Sylar's TK, to Claire's regen. Nathan's flight was in him, he just didn't know how to use it.
Sylar's and Peter's base powers are different versions of the same thing. Their use is also related strongly to each man's personality and world-outlook. Peter is this really compassionate, quietly heroic guy, who doesn't really get what to do sometimes, but wants to do right. Sylar is aggressively seeking the approval of both his quiet, respectable father, and his strangely-supportive, yet overbearing mother, now also dead. Sylar is selfish and "look at me" oriented, while Peter is a hospice nurse by profession.

Posts: 15 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone get the Season 1 DVDs? If so, you might find this interesting:

Link

Not that I'm trying to hawk anything, but I just finished watching it, and there was some hilarious stuff on there. Well worth the $3.

If nothing else, at least check out the free sample. Share and enjoy. [Smile]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Meh. I enjoyed MST3K, but this is only mildly amusing. Plus it's kinda weird listening to just the one guy cracking jokes to himself. This kind of humor is only entertaining when it's conversational.

IMO.

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  ...  31  32  33  34   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.