FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Heroes (Page 3)

This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  32  33  34   
Author Topic: Heroes
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A final pet peeve:
“Humans only use 10% of their brain power…” spoken by the Indian professor/token foreign man-toy. Here’s a rebuttal. Send him back to school. What exactly is he teaching, anyway? Biology? Philosophy? Theology? Oh, I know…Monologuing. See how rapt his students are? That’s because none of them have their SAG cards and he does.

Hey, Scott, he said something along the lines of "they say that humans use only 10% of their brains..." He didn't actually state it as fact. That was one thing I hated about The 4400. They used the whole 10% thing as a basis of their show.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
I will agree with Scott that when he was lecturing, the Indian guy was annoying. I got hung up on the 10% thing, too. Luckily, he only spent a few minutes in the classroom, and since he's now in New York playing detective, I doubt we'll be subjected to too many more lecture scenes. At least not ones that take place in classrooms.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
EG--

Gotcha. The '10% brain power' is used so often in these types of sci-fi shows, it's as standard an explanation as radiation (cosmic, gamma, alpha, etc) used to be. In any case, the character then went on to imagine that if humanity could unlock that other 90%, what powers would be available to them?

[ramble]
I'm ASTOUNDED he mentioned teleportation among the powers. At that point, I wanted to throw a dagger in his throat. Personal, individually initiated, manual teleportation just doesn't work, scientifically, as our next evolutionary leap. Telepathy, greater dexterity, slimmer bodies, higher mental capacities, sure... There could be REASONS for those. But for teleportation? I can't imagine how that would even start to work.

In lieu of good characters, I want good theorhetical science. Marvel's X-men has mostly TERRIBLE science; but they have good characters. Heroes has neither.
[/ramble]

They used the 10% brain power myth on Eureka! a couple weeks ago...it annoyed me then, too. But Eureka has quirkiness and actual characters, and a decent plot going for it. 'Heroes' just has beautiful faces.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
"Why did they have to introduce so many characters in the pilot?" I seem to recall that Fox said the same thing about Firefly. Not saying that Heroes is in the same class as Firefly, but it has potential.
Ah, but the difference is that Firefly wasn't trying to cope with different major plots for each character. Because the characters were located in the same, confined geographical area, their characterizations were enhanced by their interactions with the other characters.

It also helped that Whedon used stock forms for his characters-- Caring Doctor, Scruffy Rebel, Exotic Whore, Exuberant Girl, Stupid Thug...those archetypes served the audience pretty well. And Whedon was able to build on those archetypes and give us things we never expected from them.

For another example of how a small set amplifies characterization, look at Lost. While backstory is extremely important to the show, it's all revealed within the framework of a small location and a small group of peers. Heroes has chosen a big cast of characters, revealing a big plot, in a big setting; Lost has a big cast, reaveals a big plot, in a small setting.

The tightness of the setting, I believe, makes for a more effective show.

(Incidentally, having two locations is one of my worries about the new season of BSG. I have faith they'll get it right; but Farscape kind of lost me when they began following two Chrictons.)

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
For another example of how a small set amplifies characterization, look at Lost.

Sorry, never seen it. I freely admit to being somewhat tv-naive. This is the first season in about four years that I even have any television, so I don't know all these cool shows y'all keep talking about. I think the last series that I actually followed was Star Trek: Voyager.

So, yeah, tv+scifi+halfway decent plot+characters that don't make me want to strangle them=me happy. [Dont Know]

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

- posted      Profile for PUNJABEE   Email PUNJABEE         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:

[idiocy]
I'm ASTOUNDED he mentioned teleportation among the powers. At that point, I wanted to throw a dagger in his throat. Personal, individually initiated, manual teleportation just doesn't work, scientifically, as our next evolutionary leap. Telepathy, greater dexterity, slimmer bodies, higher mental capacities, sure... There could be REASONS for those. But for teleportation? I can't imagine how that would even start to work.

In lieu of good characters, I want good theorhetical science. Marvel's X-men has mostly TERRIBLE science; but they have good characters. Heroes has neither.
[/idiocy]

Hey did you know that the 'fi' part in sci-fi is short for fiction?

Yeah. Back to the Future totally sucked. I mean... lol we can't travel through time! That's so laughable! And Star Wars? Travelling a tLIGHT SPEED and using swords made of light?! LOLOLL THATS JUST STUPID!

Posts: 317 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Does anyone remember "Misfits of Science?" I only saw it twice, and I was a kid at the time, but one of the scenes that really impressed me was the following:

The team is trying to get in the house; Johnny B (who had electrical powers) has scouted it out and no one is inside. They're at the door-- the nerdy leader says, "Okay, Johnny-- blow it open."

Johnny gives him a sarcastic glance, points his finger at the door, and says, "BLAM!"

And then proceeds to open the unlocked door.

Wonderful stuff.

Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Caring Doctor, Scruffy Rebel, Exotic Whore, Exuberant Girl, Stupid Thug...those archetypes served the audience pretty well. And Whedon was able to build on those archetypes and give us things we never expected from them.

I don't know if that's true. I thought the beauty of firefly was that the characters were likeable and totally predictable. They actually had character.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll give it a shot. A few more episodes at least. I kind of like the direction they're going with some things.
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Irami--

Can you explain what you mean? Why does 'character' lead to predictability?

Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't Hiro also speak in English when he protested, "I am not a peeping Tom" as he was being carried out of the women's room and thrown out onto the street?
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
I think he was still speaking japanese.
I hope he does end up speaking english. I hate having to read while I am watching tv. I mean, come on, tv shouldn't involve thinking!

Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I think Heroes might have given us too much to follow the first episode, but I'm willing to give it another few views to see if it keeps me interested.

None of the characters made me want to poke myself in the eye, and the powers were done well, so I'm pretty satisfied with what I got.

I'm glad to see that there aren't any mega-heroes, laser beam blasters or super-strength warriors or so on. I hope the powers are somewhat a burden to the characters, and encourage them to be creative, rather than just smashing and blasting everything they see.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen it yet, but the discussion here, and with some friends leads me to believe it's worth watching the first three episodes to give it a try. Anything beyond those three will have to be earned by the show, there's just too many new things this year, and too many returning favorites to put too much time into a new show. I usually pick one new show a year, and Studio 60 is that show this year.

(Must we compare EVERYTHING to Firefly?)

I read a book not too far back about the science of X-Men. While much of it is rather silly, the majority of it has to do with the mind's ability to effect the world around them. Basically everything comes back to an exotic form of telepathy. It's still not "science" but that's where the fiction part comes in.

As for a show like Heroes, aren't the powers really just window dressing? Isn't the part that matters the people who have the powers? What they do with them? How they handle having them and how it effects their lives? After all the superhero stories we've had over time, who really expects them to come up with something original with regards to the powers the people have? Between 4400 and Xmen alone, it's all been done to death. If the show has good characters, and good plot, I'll watch it.

Chances are if it's too much like Lost or X-Men I'll give it the boot. I couldn't watch too many shows like LOST, it's just too frustrating, and I've already seen enough X-Men to last a life time. Mainly, Heroes has to bring something NEW to the table, or chances are I won't watch it until at the very earliest it comes out on DVD.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Mighty Cow, the truly creative part would be in trying to learn what is the right way to use such powers, so that the result is for the good, when too often we are not even sure what the good is.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was a little too much like Hiatus for my taste.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elmer's Glue:
I think he was still speaking japanese.
I hope he does end up speaking english. I hate having to read while I am watching tv. I mean, come on, tv shouldn't involve thinking!

Get used to reading subtitles, then you can become an elitest when you watch foreign films and watch them in their original language. You will start to dislike, even abhore English dubbing.

In all honesty though, I am REALLY glad they stuck to Japanese and used subtitles it immersed me much better. In Lose the Koreans speak Korean to each other and the girls ability to speak English is eventually worked into the story line, but I liked it MUCH better that way.

There are so many more possibilities if Hiro cannot speak English.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

Um, how does not being able to do something make more possibilities?
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw it... JEEZ!!! That was great.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It forces you to make harder decisions and think harder on what you can do.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mintieman
Member # 4620

- posted      Profile for Mintieman   Email Mintieman         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, this show was pretty bad. Pompous, more than anything. Nothing really going for it.

Oh and punjabee? Two terms for you. Internal Coherence and Suspension of Disbelief.

Just because its fiction doesn't mean they can throw things at you, and you're a moron if you dont just accept it.

Posts: 122 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

All of the voice overs can be cut to make the show more palatable.

[ October 02, 2006, 06:52 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

quote:
Originally posted by Mintieman:
Man, this show was pretty bad. Pompous, more than anything. Nothing really going for it.

Oh and punjabee? Two terms for you. Internal Coherence and Suspension of Disbelief.

Just because its fiction doesn't mean they can throw things at you, and you're a moron if you dont just accept it.

Translation: You're a huge freakin' nerd.

Get over it. It's fiction. Writers can throw anything they want at you. I guess Mr. Card sucks as a writer because there's no way an alien ant race can contact a human through our aiwas, right? He must be on crack if he thinks an artificial intelligence built 40 million years ago can talk to humans and get them to come back to earth.

Nitpicking idiots make me laugh.

Posts: 317 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elmer's Glue:

The inability to communicate or the higher chance for miscommunication allows for myriad of outcomes whereas if everybody can talk and communicate just fine the outcome is usually easier to predict AND less interesting.

BUT!

I can't STAND the cliche where somebody hears part of a conversation and jumps to conclusions, it drives me NUTS. I am much more interested in seeing what Hiro would do if he cannot understand what is being said to him, and has no idea what he is doing in NYC but pieces it together.

Spoilers:

Interetingly enough shouldnt Hiro be able to just go back and forth between Tokyo and New York without any difficulty? Also is time actually passing every time he teleports? Or is the clock speeding up just an illusion due to his bending space/time?

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
ok, similar to what most people have been saying:

I think there's possibility to the series, and I'm interested to see where exactly they go with it, but I agree that the pilot was pretty weak in its drawing power (mostly too much crammed in).

Also, I'm torn on the Teleportation thing... Hiro was my favorite character from the first episode, but the suspension of disbelief is a pretty valid concern.

When they attempt to couch the abilities within the realm of "normal" human evolution then you're drawing lines as to what people should be expecting. i.e. fast regeneration, super speed and other things regarding the manipulation of your body are a lot easier to swallow with this explanation than the ability to bend space-time and teleport. (though admittedly flying also falls into this shady category in my opinion).

basically, if they had taken out the speech by the geneticist son-guy I could swallow the teleportation and the flying a bit easier (and the show would offend my scientific senses less).

Additionally, while I can understand how you would happen upon the ability to regenerate fast etc, how do you "discover" that you can bend space time if you spend 2 minutes furiously concentrating on it? I would be happier if we got an explanation about Hiro that one morning he was really wishing he wasn't running 5 minutes late and suddenly the clocks all moved backwards 5 mintes... much as I think it would be cool, I don't sit at my desk furrowing my brows at my clock for minutes at a time...

And Punjabee, while I don't stand by mintieman's wording, there is a world of difference between what a good science fiction writer does and some of the mistakes the writers of Heroes are making. OSC made painful effort to carefully lay down a basis for his fiction (such as the explanation of auia's) whereas this is really more fantasy in a modern setting than sci-fi, but it claims to be sci-fi (which is the problem).

Basically, if you have magic, and just claim that it's magic and doesn't obey the normal laws of physics then you prolly won't have much argument. However, when you start claiming that something is happening because of a fairly well-known field of science that goes directly against much other known science people are going to be upset.

Much as it's cheesy, back when Gamma rays were used to explain the Hulk or the Fantasic 4 it was the "magic" explanation that you could just suspend your disbelief on. Or when Peter Parker is bit by a special spider and gains enhanced but generally believable physical traits it doesn't cause much problems. But when I start wandering around saying "I got hit by a bus, which means I can teleport and stop time" people question it because they've seen what happens when you get hit by a bus.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by TheGrimace:
ok, similar to what most people have been saying:

I think there's possibility to the series, and I'm interested to see where exactly they go with it, but I agree that the pilot was pretty weak in its drawing power (mostly too much crammed in).

Also, I'm torn on the Teleportation thing... Hiro was my favorite character from the first episode, but the suspension of disbelief is a pretty valid concern.

When they attempt to couch the abilities within the realm of "normal" human evolution then you're drawing lines as to what people should be expecting. i.e. fast regeneration, super speed and other things regarding the manipulation of your body are a lot easier to swallow with this explanation than the ability to bend space-time and teleport. (though admittedly flying also falls into this shady category in my opinion).

basically, if they had taken out the speech by the geneticist son-guy I could swallow the teleportation and the flying a bit easier (and the show would offend my scientific senses less).

Additionally, while I can understand how you would happen upon the ability to regenerate fast etc, how do you "discover" that you can bend space time if you spend 2 minutes furiously concentrating on it? I would be happier if we got an explanation about Hiro that one morning he was really wishing he wasn't running 5 minutes late and suddenly the clocks all moved backwards 5 mintes... much as I think it would be cool, I don't sit at my desk furrowing my brows at my clock for minutes at a time...

And Punjabee, while I don't stand by mintieman's wording, there is a world of difference between what a good science fiction writer does and some of the mistakes the writers of Heroes are making. OSC made painful effort to carefully lay down a basis for his fiction (such as the explanation of auia's) whereas this is really more fantasy in a modern setting than sci-fi, but it claims to be sci-fi (which is the problem).

Basically, if you have magic, and just claim that it's magic and doesn't obey the normal laws of physics then you prolly won't have much argument. However, when you start claiming that something is happening because of a fairly well-known field of science that goes directly against much other known science people are going to be upset.

Much as it's cheesy, back when Gamma rays were used to explain the Hulk or the Fantasic 4 it was the "magic" explanation that you could just suspend your disbelief on. Or when Peter Parker is bit by a special spider and gains enhanced but generally believable physical traits it doesn't cause much problems. But when I start wandering around saying "I got hit by a bus, which means I can teleport and stop time" people question it because they've seen what happens when you get hit by a bus.

Maybe its just me but have you ever just ONCE tried to stare at a clock and make it stop for a few moments, possibly a minute if you are determined. I rank it up there with squinting your eyes to see if you have X ray vision, or somebody challenging you to read their thoughts and you try to for just a few seconds.

I could easily see Hiro as having made clocks hiccup the first time he tried to slow down time, just enough that he was not SURE he had actually done it, but something had definately happened. You try here and there and once you just try really hard and succeed.

Mintieman
Member # 4620

- posted      Profile for Mintieman   Email Mintieman         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by PUNJABEE:
[Translation: You're a huge freakin' nerd.

Get over it. It's fiction. Writers can throw anything they want at you. I guess Mr. Card sucks as a writer because there's no way an alien ant race can contact a human through our aiwas, right? He must be on crack if he thinks an artificial intelligence built 40 million years ago can talk to humans and get them to come back to earth.

Nitpicking idiots make me laugh.

Considering Mr. Card sold me those far fetched premises without prompting any sort of "nitpicking" I'd say that he's a damned fine writer, and a master of his craft.

Unlike these fellows.

Writers can throw anything they want at me sure, but just because it's fiction doesn't mean its immune from criticism that it's illogical.

I gotta admit, your translation isn't exactly incorrect either ^^

Posts: 122 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Just saw episode #2 HOLY CRAP! I am hooked!
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know if I'm 'hooked' yet, but I'm still going to try a few more episodes.
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't see it on Monday nights, because I have to take my oldest to dance. I plan on catching it on SciFi Friday nights when it replays. Unless we go to the football game. In other words, I may never see it.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
Just saw episode #2 HOLY CRAP! I am hooked!

I have quite a few questions that Ill work through while I am at work tomorrow.

Well heres ones, WARNING SPOILERS:

Did you guys notice the F looking symbol in the artists studio? The pattern showed up again when the Indian guy was looking at the flash memory chips data on his laptop, and in the very next scene in the pool a tube and some floaties are making the symbol (right before the cop is arrested).

Did any of you catch the symbol in other places? Or during the pilot episode?

Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
not completely hooked yet, but I am getting there.

I think the second episode was an improvement over the first, and it has really got me interested.

Studio 60 does have me hooked though. That show is funny.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Get over it. It's fiction. Writers can throw anything they want at you.

Yes, they can. And if they ignore internal consistency, they will notice their readers (or viewers) abandoning them. A well-written book or show or movie will stick to its own internal logic because it draws the reader/viewer into that world.

I guess Mr. Card sucks as a writer because there's no way an alien ant race can contact a human through our aiwas, right? He must be on crack if he thinks an artificial intelligence built 40 million years ago can talk to humans and get them to come back to earth.
Card's worlds are internally consistent, scrupulously so. When reading them you can start to think ahead and predict what might happen based on what's happened already, and even when he goes a different direction (as he usually does) it fits in with what's been carefully established about the world and the characters in it. If he had written "Ender's Game" and revealed that Ender knew all along and did it anyway for fun, the book would fall flat and readers would feel cheated because we "know" Ender wouldn't do that.

I can be entertained by books or shows that violate their own continuity or implied physics, but I won't get invested in them. They're mind candy, creations that cannot draw you in too far because you can't trust your assumptions. You're not "in" that world, you're only watching it.
Where I think you're making a mistake is suggesting that all entertainment is mind candy. To you, maybe, and some people, and more power to you. You'll probably enjoy a lot more books and shows than I ever will.

I prefer writers talented enough to stay inside the lines of the worlds they've built and surprise me anyway.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

I liked Ep2 much more than the pilot. Nathan is a total jerk.

One spoilery comment, though. This is a show for geeks. Desperate housewives in Iowa are not watching it. So they need to at least try to get the more obvious bits of science right. I can suspend disbelief with the flying and invulnerability and telekenisis and mastery of space and time. I can't deal with the sound of a bomb getting there before the light. That's a simple gotcha, and it irks me.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

I missed most of it, but what I saw of it redeemed many of the problems with the first episode. I didn't like where the CIA chick arrested the telepathic cop-- it seemed, story-wise, very heavy-handed.

Irami, Grimace and Chris are wise beyond reckoning. They all said more succinctly, kindly, and wisely what I've been thinking.

Lisa
Member # 8384

Maybe she's a bad guy. In cahoots with Sylar. Speaking of which, is Sylar Claire's dad, or do we just not know yet?
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really interested, but it's a bit too gory for me. The images of that little girl's parents stayed with me and in the middle of the night I couldn't sleep because of them. Ick. Isn't there any other way?

Oh, and I didn't like Miss Web-Cam's story either. It probably bothers me most because she's a mother. I can't handle worrying about the things she's doing with her kid around, or the times she's not aware of what she's doing and her kid is neglected.

I like what was said about how teleporting doesn't fit with the "evolution of man" thesis. I like Hiro's story and his character is a riot, but somehow it doesn't really ... fit.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked episode #2 as well. Although, as said above, it was a little more gory than I expected -- what with the brain stealing and all...

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Pretty sure Sylar is NOT Claire's dad as he was in the taxi cab with the Indian guy in the pilot and he let him just run away. Why wouldn't he have eaten his brain? I think he is more likely a government/unknown agency goon, probably alligned with that "exterminator" who was bugging the Indian guys house. Man I really want to learn everybodies name in that show, so I can stop referring to them by their powers or country of origin.

As for brain stealing/eating. Is it Syler that is doing the brain thing? If so is he killing at random? He took the brain of the artist, and the father of the little girl but not the mother. I'm still trying to figure that one out.

Lisa
Member # 8384

It looks like there's more than one bad mutant. One who freezes people, one who eats brains, and one who has telekenesis (and can lift someone up against a wall and throw knives into them). Bad, bad, bad. Maybe Claire's dad is their Magneto.
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, where are we getting the information that someone is eating brains? I made a different assumption ... that someone was stealing brains for some nefarious purpose, but I didn't assume anyone was eating them.
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
]

Did any of you catch the symbol in other places? Or during the pilot episode?

Yes it was in a couple of other places. In that picture that Peter drew when he was in the hospital (which was actually forshadowing of his small bit of flight at the end) he drew it in the upper left hand corner.

It was also on the big map at Mohinder's apartment (well his fathers, but whatever). It was written on a post-it note with a question mark next to it.

I'm sorry but if some people still don't like this show, especially after the 2nd episode being awesome..

They're imbeciles.

PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

quote:
Originally posted by Belle:
I can't see it on Monday nights, because I have to take my oldest to dance. I plan on catching it on SciFi Friday nights when it replays. Unless we go to the football game. In other words, I may never see it.

Why don't you just DVR it?
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched the first two episodes but don't have time to read this whole thread. I've a mixed reaction to the show....I love the premise, but don't really like the execution all that well. It's so friggin' slllloooooowwwww. I don't care about any of the characters yet, and am hating the villian setup on Claire's dad. It just doesn't ring up as believable to me. His malevolence watching the tape of her doesn't ring at all true with the loving dad role...I don't think it's possible to fake it that well 24/7. Claire would have to twig to her dad's malice. It would show up in other things. You can't hide who you are all the time. Instead, it almost appears that she is closer to him than to her mother.

And it was way, way too gruesome for me. I thought it went way over the line of reasonable taste for tv. Movies, fine, but it crossed the line for me.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
One who freezes people, one who eats brains, and one who has telekenesis (and can lift someone up against a wall and throw knives into them).
Yeah - I'm not sure where you got the idea they are being "eaten" either -- I never picked up on that. I thought more "stealing".

I never thought of all those things as being possible more than one bad man, either. I just assumed Syler/Siler (however it is going to be spelled) to be doing all of the above.

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Jeniwren. I love the idea and could see myself really enjoying the characters, but something about the execution is off. Its very forced and cliched. Any scene with Claire's dad is ridiculous. Even the soundbites are corny.

And the pacing is odd. Sometimes it feels slow and sometimes we're just being thrown information.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this episode was a blast.

But yeah, Clare's dad, blackout woman.. don't really like those plots. Hiro is a little cutie, but totally implausable.

I liked that the telepathic cop got busted in that "Oh no!" way.

I taped it for my hubby and I told him I liked the ending. He said "So they all died?" I said "actually..... yeah!"

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
ditto to what many people have been saying, and thanks Scott for the compliments [Smile]

Some clarifications on my thoughts after seeing the second episode:

1) I'm more ok with Hiro's powers now. On further thinking, I guess I'm not really against the teleportation and flying as potential powers so much as I'm against the Indian guy claiming that genetic mutation would likely lead there... especially since in episode 2 they made more of a point of saying "is this science or is it God or something"

2) Agreed about Clare's dad, much as you can be a different person at work and at home it's hard to swallow that someone who's seemingly a merciless 'government' hitman (or something like that) is also going to be a well-loved father.

3) The murders, I'm actually suprised that they could show that much graphic gore on network TV, and I agree it was pretty excessive. But they also made me question/comment on a couple things:
a) both sets of murders had the brain eating/stealing thing going on (not the mom in the first one).
b) while time obviously could play a factor, I find it odd that the first murder they make a point of emphasizing the freezing of the guy wheras the second murder there doesn't seem to be any sign of freezing. (maybe he's already thawed, but it just seems odd to completely dismiss it the second time when you pointed it out clearly the first time).
c) why was there the gun in the artist's apartment? Syler doesn't seem to need/use guns from all appearances, and I wouldn't peg it as the artists, so...
d) as for the arrest of the psychic cop: he legitimately passed by the two other investigators as the one mentioned that Syler did it, so why does she act like he couldn't possibly know that name?

definately more interesting, but also definately still a flawed show... we'll see how it goes.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
d) as for the arrest of the psychic cop: he legitimately passed by the two other investigators as the one mentioned that Syler did it, so why does she act like he couldn't possibly know that name?
Did she SAY it, or did she THINK it? He was hearing both. And I would have to go back and re-watch to know whether when he heard the name, it was her thoughts or her words.

FG

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:

1) I'm more ok with Hiro's powers now. On further thinking, I guess I'm not really against the teleportation and flying as potential powers so much as I'm against the Indian guy claiming that genetic mutation would likely lead there... especially since in episode 2 they made more of a point of saying "is this science or is it God or something"

Why not Science trying to play God?

quote:

2) Agreed about Clare's dad, much as you can be a different person at work and at home it's hard to swallow that someone who's seemingly a merciless 'government' hitman (or something like that) is also going to be a well-loved father.

We do not know he is a hitman. We have seen him at the Indian's fathers' apt after he had died, in the taxi with the Indian guy and at home with Claire. He could have killed the Indian guy in the taxi but he didnt, which leads me to believe he is not a hitman. TONS of government workers have families that have no clue what they do at the office.

quote:

c) why was there the gun in the artist's apartment? Syler doesn't seem to need/use guns from all appearances, and I wouldn't peg it as the artists, so...

Why not peg it on the artist? He WAS feeling suicidal, maybe he was about to kill himself, or simply had the gun in his apt because he was thinking about it alot.

quote:

The cop was still acting evasive when he answered he questions. Definately enough to warrant questioning. I was suprised that she didnt even seem to notice his verbal response to her thought "Like you heard the little girl." By the end of her exchange he was responding verbally to her thoughts and she simply arrested him.

I like where things are going, I really have NO idea how the mirror girls power works, it seems so unpredicable. It might not make good TV but I like the idea of somebody having a power that can only accomplish evil and having to spend all your time working on "Damage control."

I wish they would show us more of her son, they showed him fixing a computer chip in the pilot, apparently his inteligence has nothing to do with observation.

This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  32  33  34   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.