FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Heroes (Page 17)

This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  32  33  34   
Author Topic: Heroes
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris Eccleston?!? Holy frack, just when I thought the show couldn't get any better. Does anyone else feel like this show is actually being handled really, REALLY well? I mean, I thought they wouldn't be able to top Takei being Hiro's father. I was wrong.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
*sad about Eden*

I can't believe she gave him such an obvious chance to kill her. And I liked Eden. And her power was excellent. And poor Peter.

These well-thought-out and articulate comments brought to you by: two 3000-word essays and one 1500-word research proposal that are due next Wednesday.

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Fyfe:
These well-thought-out and articulate comments brought to you by: two 3000-word essays and one 1500-word research proposal that are due next Wednesday.

There is nothing like a looming deadline to increase ones hatrack productivity.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Where do you get super strength and flight from?

Don't forget the guy who was frozen in that house in LA.

Did you see what he did to Claire's face when he threw her against the wall? As stated MANY times, Sylar flew away to escape the cops, while almost making one of them shoot herself.

I completely forgot about the frozen dad. Not to mention the mom hoisted up and pegged to the staircase by a good dozen knives, and the cops said, "It would take 3 men to do this to that woman."

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EKR
Member # 9545

- posted      Profile for EKR   Email EKR         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe Sylar did all those things (throwing Claire, hoisting the mom up with knives, etc.) telekinetically, involving no physical strain whatsoever.

[ December 06, 2006, 05:08 PM: Message edited by: EKR ]

Posts: 18 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Telekinetically, I think you mean.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok well if he can do that why did he even allow Claire to try and run away? Thrill of the chase?

Why did he run from the cops instead of simply taking their guns away?

How did he get from that plaza to the top of the stairs so quickly just prior to falling with Peter? He wasn't in any hurry when he got to the plaza.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by EKR:
I believe Sylar did all those things (throwing Claire, hoisting the mom up with knives, etc.) telepathically, involving no physical strain whatsoever.

That's so lame. He did not do them all telekinetically (I spelled that so wrong, even spell check is baffled). If telekinesis is that powerful, then there'd be no fun in any of the other powers. Telekinesis has to be limited. And he obviously has super strength, as he shattered the glass in this past episode with his fist, not his mind. And I still think he can fly, as evidenced by him escaping the police. It looked exactly like Nathan flying.

And also, in this last episode, he wasn't afraid of the gun. We've seen him get shot before and not be ill affected. It seems like he already has Claire's power. I confess, I don't understand that. Maybe ... he can "fix" his physical body? But can't if his brain is gone ... so why wasn't he afraid of the gun being pointed at his head? Didn't he say something about the gun not being able to hurt him? I'll have to rewatch this last episode and the one where he escaped from Matt (mind-reader) when I get home.

Edit: I spelled telekinetically the same was as Lisa and it says I'm wrong. harrumph.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I think much of it, if not all of it is telekinesis. Certainly I think he could have thrown a women up against a wall and used those knives to keep her in place. Flight is possible, but I don't think so yet. He jumped, we don't know how high yet, and telekinesis could have been used to enhance his agility in the same way Wolverine could probably have jumped the same height.

We need to know more of his backstory.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe he stole an "I can't get hurt by guns" power?
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
This week's Ask Ausiello has a ton of spoilers for Heroes.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EKR
Member # 9545

In Episode 2, Matt's FBI counterpart tells about Sylar's killings, "...all people impaled by household objects, bones broken. All without any traceable(sp?) sign of physical contact." Which led me to believe his lack of super physical strength. At least at that time.

I think it was Eden's head that broke the glass, not his fist.

Referring back to Episode 2.... Where does Sylar look like he's using Nathan's flying stance? From what I can tell, he awkwardly "floats" himself to his feet. The sound of bullets falling to the floor. Matt turning his head, then Sylar is just... gone.

As far as getting shot... perhaps he's acquired some sort bullet proof mutation? [Smile]

Posts: 18 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by blacwolve:

Where? All I found were a claim that "we're going to learn something about Claire" and "Eden's really dead". There was also some spin about how one of the "couples" in the show is fighting in real life (hardly a show spoiler).

That's hardly what I'd call any spoilers at all and certainly not a "ton".

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Have they ever shown Isaac's painting of the man exploding. It ought to be pretty obvious whether its Peter or Todd(?)(radioactive man).
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
They showed it. He was all red. You can't tell which one it is.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
quote:
Originally posted by blacwolve:

Where? All I found were a claim that "we're going to learn something about Claire" and "Eden's really dead". There was also some spin about how one of the "couples" in the show is fighting in real life (hardly a show spoiler).

That's hardly what I'd call any spoilers at all and certainly not a "ton".

Um, sorry? I'll try to avoid, you know, living in the future.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

I'm sorry if I insulted you blacwolve. There is no harm in living in the future. I just went to Ask Ausiello expecting a "ton of spoilers" and was disappointed to find so little.
T_Smith
Member # 3734

http://www.heroes-pictures.com/displayimage.php?album=199&pos=212
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Ted, btw. Not Todd.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
And I'll be disappointed if he works for Linderman.

Linderman's name has come up too much to be a simple coincidence. He must be connected to the Heroes in some very important way that has not yet been revealed. A connection to Bennett is the most obvious choice but obvious doesn't mean correct.

It would however kill two big questions with one stone. Bennett's operation is clearly bankrolled by someone or some group. If its not Linderman, then its unlikely we've heard anything about them so far.

Whether through Bennett or someone else, I'm betting Linderman is going to play an important role in this shows future.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I can't imagine they would have mentioned his name so much if he didn't have his fingers involved in this some way. He's in with Nathan Petrelli, Niki Saunders, and Isaac, when Linderman bought his painting, which leads me to believe he knows all about the painting's properties.

I still think it is POSSIBLE that Bennett has some government group. Still remember what he said about "I don't work for any organization with an acronym" or whatever he said. He never said he didn't work for the government, it could be a government black op. And I'll be happer if it is.

Thing is, we have a pretty good idea on what Bennett's intentions are. We have no idea what Linderman's intentions are, and the Haitian is now an unknown quantity. There's enough to deal with, without it being bankrolled by Linderman. I either want it to be the government, in some way, shape or form, or someone new. What I'd REALLY like, is for the bankroller to be some superrich Hero (sort of like a Warren Worthington III + Professor X). We have our idealists, we have our petty thugs (Linderman), we're only missing the Government, and the richy rich fourth party with a hidden agenda.

I'm on the "No Linderman" bandwagon.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Thing is, we have a pretty good idea on what Bennett's intentions are.
Do we? I certainly don't. I have a pretty good idea what Bennett is doing but haven't seen any clue as to why. If you think you have a good idea about Bennett's intentions, what do you think they are?
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Primarily? Protecting his daughter, and his family, and himself. Best way to do that is to recruit people to his side, and find all the others, study them, find out their weaknesses, and exploit them. Beyond that, I don't know the intentions of the organization at large, or the intentions of his subordinates, but I think we can start to guess at why he is doing what he is doing, especially if we find his he powers of his own.

Something just popped into my head. Is it possible that Bennett can only block the abilities of those who he has studied? Even so the ability isn't foolproof. Both times now that Matt Parkman has tried to read his mind he has cracked it, getting one word each time, "Claire" and "Sylar." The other time he was trying to read Claire's mind.

Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Something just popped into my head. Is it possible that Bennett can only block the abilities of those who he has studied? Even so the ability isn't foolproof. Both times now that Matt Parkman has tried to read his mind he has cracked it, getting one word each time, "Claire" and "Sylar." The other time he was trying to read Claire's mind.

Ya know, that's an interesting idea. I like it. That means its a directed thing on his part. Though that wouldn't explain why he was able to block the cop without knowing the cop was there.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
but ya, hasnt anyone her eshocked at the fact that Zack lost all of his recent memories? Claire has in essence lost her only true friend.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Not really shocked no, the Haitian zapped him and her brother Lyle, and apparently her mother. Were he to zap Claire too, she never would have known that her and Zach were ever friends at all.

It is a bit tragic though to have her only real friend, one she really connected with, be taken away from her that abruptly.

Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Primarily? Protecting his daughter, and his family, and himself. Best way to do that is to recruit people to his side, and find all the others, study them, find out their weaknesses, and exploit them.

Thing is, he was collecting these people before he adopted Claire, wasn't he? I got the impression that baby Claire was orphaned because of Bennett's group (though it was not intentional, I think).
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I got the impression that baby Claire was orphaned because of Bennett's group (though it was not intentional, I think).
I agree that he made that pretty clear during that one chat he had with Isaac, trying to impress upon him why it was so important that he be able to paint, so he could save Claire. He did talk like his group was responsible for the death of her parents, unintentionally.
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one wondering where (or who) Peter's apparently clairvoyant vision came from? And obvious candidates?

In the really wild conjecture category, I just thought out a scenario for his vision that really could result in him saving NY and everyone around him.

According to the vision, he's surrounded by lots of the main characters. Claire, Hiro, DL and Nathan are all nearby.

If this scenario really does play out, could Peter time-travel using Hiro's ability? Like maybe back to June 30, 1908? That's the date of a major explosion in Siberia - and the nature of the blast is still being debated.

Using Nathan's power's he could come in on an aerial trajectory. Using some combination of Claire and DL's powers he might even survive.

Yeah, it's wild and probably won't be the way it goes - but just in case I wanted to go on record as having wildly speculated on it. **

**This paragraph will be edited to read "predicted" in place of "wildly speculated" in the event I am even remotely correct in this.**

[Wink]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
interesting postulation sndrake, would be crazy if that's where they go with it [Smile]
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

That would be cool.

What I'm wondering is, why is he sick? He only has other people's powers for a short time after he is exposed to them, right? so his exposure to Sylar or Bennett or the Hatian shouldn't be what makes him sick, should it?

Or maybe I'm just waaaay over-thinking it. [Grumble]

On an unrelated note: I would have Masi Oka's babies.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Am I the only one wondering where (or who) Peter's apparently clairvoyant vision came from?
Wasn't this his third or forth vision? He saw a Nathan's accident in dream. He saw a vision of his Hospice patient and then him flying. I'm not sure if the dream where he sees Sylar in his jail cell counts as a vision or not.

quote:
I agree that he made that pretty clear during that one chat he had with Isaac, trying to impress upon him why it was so important that he be able to paint, so he could save Claire. He did talk like his group was responsible for the death of her parents, unintentionally.
Bennett clearly wants to protect his daughter. But there is plenty of evidence that this isn't the only or even primary thing that motivates him. If we believe what he told Isaac, then he was collecting mutants before he adopted Claire. He was also opposed to killing Sylar even though this would have protected Claire. So I think we know his motivation as a father but still have no idea what the aims and motivations are of his organization.
EKR
Member # 9545

I was thinking... but there are so many errors in this thought... What if Bennett has a power? That power is making Peter sick and just so happened to linger in Peter's system. Perhaps the power to make others sick? And... perhaps Bennett needs a daily dose of Haitan to suppress his power throughout the day so he doesn't get his family sick.

Yeah... Back to my hole.

~Earl

dean
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for dean   Email dean         Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought that Peter's dreams (about flying, the car crash, etc) were because of his close connection with his brother. Like a twin thing, although they're not twins. But what if he only thinks he has to be near them to use their power? What if he he can learn to use their powers when they aren't around by forming an emotional connection (or something similar) and by learning how to use his powers better? Up until now, he's only used his powers in a passive way. Perhaps as he forms more relationships with other Heroes, he'll be able to use their powers whether they're around or not so long as he continues to have strong feelings about them. And perhaps he got that vision because he has an emotional connection to Isaac since Isaac is the one he's spent most time around and gotten to know the best. And wasn't Isaac trying to draw at that very time?
Posts: 1751 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
is there an episode today?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Sadly No. No new episodes until mid January, Jan. 22, If I remember correctly.
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

Alright, so I just went back and watched some of the pertinent scenes ...

The whole thing I said about Sylar jumping and looking like when Nathan flew never happened. He didn't bend his knees or whatever (Sylar that is). But, he did definitely either fly or jump really really high. The camera sees him on the ground, then shows the cop, then cuts back to the spot where he was and shows nothing. Then it shows the sky. I take that as implying that since he got out in the open, he was free to escape by flight. Also in that scene, he got shot and lived. I know it's been mentioned before, but why did he want Claire's power if he already has it? Does he just want to eliminate the competition? Also, how the heck did he freeze that guy? I wonder if that's something the writers or whoever just kind of threw in there without really seeing the ramifications. [Dont Know]

Hiros power: When he first demonstrated his power to Ando, saving the girl about to get hit by the truck, the girl wouldn't have been about to get hit by the truck if Ando hadn't tried to stop it. So I'm guessing they actually are placing pretty strict limits as to the actual practicality of his power. Though the whole stopping time is pretty darn useful.

And the Haitian/Mr. Bennet. My prediction is that the Haitian simply has mind wiping/blocking powers. Matt's power didn't effect him because he could block his mind, or wipe it, or something like that. He can't block everyones power. I think that right belongs to Mr. Bennet. Has anyone used a power around him? It makes sense that he is the one heading up and in direct contact with all these people since they are helpless around him. I think the Haitian is mostly a front man.

And finally, as I was watching Isaac in the scene when Simone comes in after he painted the bomb picture (I believe in the 3rd episode or so), it looks like he has two tick marks on him, around where his collarbone is. It wouldn't make much sense for him to have been tagged by Bennet already, since it didn't seem like it later when Eden was told to bring him in or whatever, but just a little tidbit I noticed.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Dr S: Nathan took off and flew away with Mr. Bennet and The Haitian standing not 5 feet from him right after Mr. Bennet said to The Haitian, "Get him." Unless Mr. Bennet was allowing him to leave, and I think his attitude demonstrated the opposite I am not sure he can dampen anybodies power.
EKR
Member # 9545

Dr Strangelove... If you listen closely, you can hear the bullets fired into Sylar falling to the ground. Perhaps Sylar has a power similar to Magneto? When Eden pulled the gun on him he told her it wouldn't hurt him. Maybe it has something to do with metal?
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

BlackBlade: Crap, you're right about Nathan. I forgot about him. Oh well.

EKR: Yeah, I heard to bullets clinking. I figured it was something along the lines of ejecting the bullets from his body, since I presume they wouldn't just be healed over. I considered the Magneto angle but rejected it because it would seem way to much like X-Men (villain with magnetic powers). So far they've been trying to stay at least a little original, or as original as possible in this genre. And also, they haven't even hinted that that could be a power, and I think if someone was going to have a rather important power like that they would have at least left some clues somewhere.

Olivet
Member # 1104

There was an interview in ET and an article where the creator of the show said something to one of the writers, like, "I want there to be a hero who has power over metals and magnetic fields[ or something]" and the writer laughed and said "Like Magneto from X men."

The guy whose brain child this is doesn't do comics

cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry if this has been mentioned before - but I was talking with a friend tonight about how excited we are that next Monday we know where we'll be... I digress...

Is Simone (sp?) going to wind up bad and playing a bigger part in all of this?

He (my friend) said something about a painting in Issac's place (that disappeared and hasn't been seen since) before she went on her 'we've got to get rid of these' kick.

I wonder if she really could wind up being 'bad'. Issac's habit was kicked once she was out of the picture - was the talent (and maybe subsequent pictues/future) skewed by the drug?

(sorry if this sounds really dumb. i'm pretty tired, have no clue why i'm up let alone posting, still figured i'd get that out after the convo...)

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Side note:

The men's room at my work comes furnished with various reading material for those long times when one is disposed to sit and think.

One of those magazines is "Stuff". "Stuff" is a Men's Magazine with bits of fluff news and lots of Stuff real men with deep pockets, would get to play with.

They had a semi-interview with the actor who plays Hiro. They discovered that he is a WoW player, one time guild leader, and active to this day.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:

They had a semi-interview with the actor who plays Hiro. They discovered that he is a WoW player, one time guild leader, and active to this day.

Somehow, every time I hear this guy mentioned, he becomes more awesome in my book.

I hope he plays on my server!

Olivet
Member # 1104

Masi Oka is the poo. I urge women everywhere to have his babies.
T_Smith
Member # 3734

"Masi Oka is the poo."

I stared at this for the longest time wondering why you hated Masi Oka.

And yeah, I do love this guy. I mean... works on special effects, plays a time manipulating hero, and plays WoW. Things like that usually lead me to ponder what the persons DVD collection is like.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Good episode, new questions, new answers. Everything is pushed even more towards Linderman and Nevada. I think we're going to have a showdown there pretty soon. I liked the progress made this episode, and how the heroes are slowly drawing together again, and how they are being pushed towards Vegas.

And I wonder why the Haitian is defying Mr. Bennett and is helping Claire.

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm on the list...

One thing about this show, they don't make you wait for stuff to happen.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

I love this show! It does seem like the Haitian has some inside knowledge or something. He's the perfect new (well talking now) addition to show! He's like Mr. Eko! My family was speculating that maybe Claires mom is Matt's wife, it's a longshot but who knows?
(this was libertygirl...Strangelove is at FSU how the heck is he logged in here?)

[ January 23, 2007, 10:01 AM: Message edited by: Dr Strangelove ]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

How does that make any sense?
  This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  32  33  34   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.