FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Heroes III (Page 8)

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14   
Author Topic: Heroes III
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by sylvrdragon:
Hiro is going to freeze time for everyone except them and they're gonna train for 50 years. Then Claire is going to infuse them all with a dose of her blood so they regain their youth.

Didn't work... [Big Grin]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one who wonders if Maury pulled a fake death just like Matt did?

Mainly because they don't seem to let anyone just die. Also I wonder if Arthur might have been the one who saved Peter, both because Peter is his son, and so Peter would alert Nathan.

Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't see how that'd work. Arthur has Peter's mind powers that Peter got from Matt. Traditionally anyone who has that power can block someone else from using it, though I suppose Arthur's inexperience could give Maury an edge. But no, I think he's dead.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Marek:
Am I the only one who wonders if Maury pulled a fake death just like Matt did?

Mainly because they don't seem to let anyone just die. Also I wonder if Arthur might have been the one who saved Peter, both because Peter is his son, and so Peter would alert Nathan.

Yes, both of those have occurred to me. At the very least, it seems like he was absolutely fine with Peter getting away. So either he saved him, or he was prepared to do so.

Also, he has Matt's power by way of Peter. It's possible, though I doubt they will go this way, that he used it to influence Sylar to save Peter.

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Don't see how that'd work. Arthur has Peter's mind powers that Peter got from Matt. Traditionally anyone who has that power can block someone else from using it, though I suppose Arthur's inexperience could give Maury an edge. But no, I think he's dead.

I doubt that Maury would have fooled Mr Patrelli, but it certainly seems possible that the whole thing was arranged for Daphne's benefit. Neither would really surprise me.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Just watched the latest episode on Netflix.

[Wall Bash]

"I needed help, so the best thing I could think of to do is to break into your house and assault you and your family."

"Well, that seems reasonable. Let's fly cross-country together, and have a bonding moment on a plane that shows the writers think a human being can serve as a grounding device. Then we can look for help for no good reason from an enormous secretive organization; it's not like anything like that has ever gone wrong before."

"Oh no! Someone we both know and care about has been thrown out a window! Maybe we should back up and find out what happened in there before we rush into the bowels of the enormous secretive organization!"

"Are you kidding? The show is an hour long, and this plot doesn't have time to stop for contemplative, potentially non-suicidal acts! Do you know what might happen if I take an hour to find out what Peter has to say?"

"Uh, no..."

"Me neither! And I'm not going to find out, either! (rushes inside)"

...Meanwhile...

Daphne and Matt are gruesomely killed. Audience laughs a hearty laugh at the idea we're supposed to believe this for even as long as it takes the special effects to kick in. Matt's mind-reading abilities are thwarted by a plot device.

Mohinder continues his journey towards the Dark Side. Audience wonders how this could have happened to this character, and then remembers that Mohinder hasn't been so much a character as a Plot Device Execution Machine since Season 2.

Nathan Petrelli contemplates the idea of actually using his powers as an elected official of high office to accomplish his goals rather than rushing off like a bull in a china shop, then remembers Elle's admonishment about the dangers of contemplative, non-suicidal acts and announces his intention to rush off to his cipher-like love interest. She, having been drugged and chained to a table as a result of his last great idea, demands to tag along for this one.

Hiro follows in Matt's footsteps and takes part in the "Anyone Can Be Isaac Mendez" workshop. As he falls into a vision-inducing coma, Ando asks if he'll wake up and urgently shouts Hiro's name. Audience reassures Ando that the show would never be quite so stupid as to squander its remaining diminishing market share by killing off its one consistently popular recurring character.

Please don't tell me I'm failing to maintain a proper suspension of disbelief, I'm not familiar with the tropes of comic-book writing, or I'm "failing to enjoy the show for what it is." With the possible exception of Sylar, who might be showing the tiniest degree more depth than most of the characters whose company we're forced to endure, enjoying this last show for "what it is" requires either a pre-frontal lobotomy or two robots and a janitor at the bottom of the screen.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
And that was just one huge cavalcade of vomit. Do you take time to enjoy anything in life?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

Things that can be enjoyed for more than ironic value? Yeah, I do. So, were there tiny robots and a janitor on your screen?
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Well I and many others thoroughly enjoy Heroes for more then just "ironic" value but because A) we actually connect to and like genuinely some of the characters (seasons 1,2: Hiro, 3 the turtle closely followed by Hiro then Sylar), the special effects, that there's powers at work in a much more "loose" world that so far hasn't verged on Magic or Galactic super villains yet and at least the characters are capable of being human and as such doing stupid things.

Whether the plot makes sense or not is irrelevent as I am capable of suspending my disbelief for a soft science fiction show about people with mutant powers, where pretty much any situation in theory can be resolved by any plot convenient power gets boring, its nice that they DONT resolve everything through any plot convenient mugguffin.

Sterling
Member # 8096

I'll try to put this reasonably.

First, I liked Season 1 very much. It had themes that resounded, characters I liked, and a plot that, while mysterious, a) made a certain amount of sense, and b) treated the viewer who asked basic, simple questions about what was going to happen next to rewarding answers. Watching a somewhat downtrodden office worker discover both his powers and his capacity for heroism was exciting. The ironic vulnerability of a character who could seemingly recover from any injury was poignant. Isaac Mendez was brutally murdered just when he was turning his life around; it was genuinely tragic, and it meant something. The strained, yet loving relationship between the Patrelli brothers drove them both in believable ways.

Being a "soft science fiction show about people with mutant powers" gives a show a right, having identified yourself as such, to expect people to come into it with a suspension of disbelief- to the point that they accept that events are happening in a world where people have superhuman powers. But it makes it all the more important that the people be believable characters you can identify with, and having given yourself such breadth in what "can" happen, you really ought to use that breadth to engage plots and themes that will be rewarding. It never gives you the right to offer characters and plots that are cardboard.

I don't identify with these characters anymore because they keep doing the same stupid things over and over, rushing off half-cocked without getting or exchanging necessary information, gathering resources or allies, taking into consideration their past experiences. When that's the kind of action that drives more than half the sequences in the show, it becomes painful to watch. You can make an interesting show in which people consider the options at hand and choose what seems to be the best course, sometimes rightly, sometimes wrongly. It can be very effective to be able to say "In that situation, I would have done the same (wrong) thing", or to have the characters do something the viewer wouldn't have considered but that is consistent with their internal logic, or even to succeed because they've learned to work well together as a team.

Most of these characters refuse to learn from their experiences. They don't grow like good characters do. They change their minds and their motivations in an instant based on the dictates of the plot. They rush to get into a fight with friends who helped them to save the world without wondering why they're on opposite sides in one scene, and then accept unquestioningly the counsel of people who have plotted mass-murder as reason to turn 180 degrees in another.

Whole scenes read like outlines, like Claire's "bonding" with Elle, or Maya's "You're a monster" to Mohinder. If it's obvious when a scene begins where it's going to end, you damn well better get the audience there in style; Heroes is rapidly losing the sense that it has the wherewithal to do so, treating rote scenes as just that.

There are fleeting moments that make me want to hope. Matt's conversations with Daphne in the airport in the previous episode were the first time in several shows I actually felt something during an exchange between two characters. And that Sylar probably saved Nathan's life was the first time in a while that maybe, just maybe, someone hadn't accepted another character's shpiel whole hog for once. Though that moment was somewhat tarnished by Pa Patrelli's "He shouldn't have survived falling seven stories" comment, a comment which even a mediocre writer would use to indicate Paterlli's suspicion of his new convert, but which I suspect in this case (time will tell) served merely to deliver information to the audience.

The show has become shallow and impatient, digging up dead characters and forgetting living ones for its own convenience; giving characters superhuman abilities and having them fail to use simple human ones.

"Many others" may enjoy Heroes, but the viewership is steadily dropping, and a fairly consistent 2/3 of those who leave feedback on a 1-star Amazon.com review of the Season 2 DVD mark it as "helpful", which strongly suggests a great number of people used to like Heroes.

Do you understand where I'm coming from?

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

No, I believe your overly critical. Viewership "steadily" dropping? Proof beyond your gut feeling? Your critical of nearly every little scene that may or may not fitting right despite that very scene being important to a lead up to the very scenes you may or may not like. People have been bagging on consistently during Season 2 thats its too slow and now its trying to speed things up thas not good enough either.

Season 1 was good for season 1, we don't like having to have to revisit everyone trying to learn to use their powers.

EmpSquared
Member # 10890

- posted      Profile for EmpSquared           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, it's okay for someone to have different standards for their media. I'm actually a hair's breadth away from looking at it the way Sterling does, but I view it like I view the Dodgers; no matter how bad they get, I will continue to watch, almost as if in appreciation for the good times.
Posts: 368 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
You are acting like the only problem season 2 had was that it was too slow. That was the least of its problems.

Season 1 highest rating was 16 million viewers.
Season 2 debut was 13.9 million viewers.
Season 3 on October 6 was 8.2 million viewers.

Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
No, I believe your overly critical. Viewership "steadily" dropping? Proof beyond your gut feeling? Your critical of nearly every little scene that may or may not fitting right despite that very scene being important to a lead up to the very scenes you may or may not like. People have been bagging on consistently during Season 2 thats its too slow and now its trying to speed things up thas not good enough either.

Season 1 was good for season 1, we don't like having to have to revisit everyone trying to learn to use their powers.

Now I will put this less reasonably.

Yes, ratings for Heroes are falling "beyond my gut feeling".

quote:
Reality-FreeRatings for NBC's Heroes are falling each and every week. The most recent episode was down 11% from the previous week's numbers.
Link

No, I am not being "overly critical". Season 2 showed quite clearly that "Heroes" is perfectly capable of spending weeks on plot elements that it will then abandon or forget. Recognizing that it is likely to continue to do so is not "overly critical"; showing unwarranted faith that it won't do so again is granting a fanboyish level of devotion. I don't care that there's a terrific imaginary episode that ties everything together in three weeks; my criticism is of the one we're dealing with right now. The one that on its present ratings course may not see Season 4.

And if you were paying the slightest bit of attention, you would have noticed that I've said neither that the pace of the action was the problem, nor that they should revisit the Heroes' discovery of their powers.

Pace is not the problem, and it's unfortunate that Kring seems to think that it is. You can take time for scenes with fully-realized characters speaking thoughtful dialogue, in fact you should in order to moderate fast-paced action scenes. But if your dialogue is crap,

(CLOSE CAPTION FOR THE CRITICISM IMPARED: A GREAT DEAL OF THE DIALOGUE IN "HEROES" IS CRAP)

while moving slowly will bore, the only saving grace of picking up the pace is that you go through crap quickly, which is not an improvement.

So, to sum up:

Yes, I am critical of many scenes in Heroes: because they're atrocious. Because they lose nothing for being condensed into eight-minute summaries. Because they show no understanding of things that have happened before. And unless you can offer a convincing argument otherwise- unless you can actually address the criticisms offered- spare me!

sylvrdragon
Member # 3332

- posted      Profile for sylvrdragon   Email sylvrdragon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Season 1 was good for season 1, we don't like having to have to revisit everyone trying to learn to use their powers. [/QB]

You say that as though they KNOW how to use their powers. Not once in the last 2 seasons have I said to myself "You know, I would do the same thing in that situation" or even "Wow. I hadn't thought of that. That's BETTER than what I would have done". That is how you know a show has some problems.

"Suspension of disbelief" is meant for the Sci-fi/Fantasy aspects of a piece of fiction, not for the personalities of the characters.

In the presence of good characters and/or writing devices, I'm actually surprisingly good at tuning out my doubts (considering my personality). I just can't lose myself in these characters anymore though. I can't empathize with them in the slightest. The characters should drive the story, not the other way around.

Posts: 636 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Sterling, those were some great posts! [Big Grin]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by EmpSquared:
You know, it's okay for someone to have different standards for their media. I'm actually a hair's breadth away from looking at it the way Sterling does, but I view it like I view the Dodgers; no matter how bad they get, I will continue to watch, almost as if in appreciation for the good times.

Ditto (except replace Dodgers with Brewers). Sure, it's not the best show ever, but that's never stopped me from enjoying television before (I'm looking at you, ST:VOY...).
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Whether the plot makes sense or not is irrelevent
Uh huh.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Since its a show about people with super powers the plot will hence almost never make sense or if it does its usually because of said powers, thus don't watch for the plot.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Lol.

It is easy enough to have a show with superpowers that has a plot that makes sense, and does not confuse and frustrate people out of watching it. In large part, season one was this show.

People who try to tell you that you SHOULD be enjoying a show but your problem is that you have to criticize the plot for not making sense are pretty neck-deep in fanboyism. People who tell you that your problem is that you aren't shutting your brain off and trying to ignore the power creep and plot holes because that's what you should do to enjoy the show? Well, that's nigh incurable. I recommend amputation.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Its not a matter of fanboyism, its a matter of enjoying a show, an ability that seems as rare as the powers in the show it seems on this forum.
swbarnes2
Member # 10225

- posted      Profile for swbarnes2           Edit/Delete Post 
Enjoying a bad show is no virtue.

No, not even when that show is genre.

And Heroes is now a bad show.

You start a thread on Firefly, and you will find that almost to a person, everyone who dislikes Heroes will say that they really enjoyed Firefly. Because Firefly had intelligent and enjoyable charaters, dialogue and plot. Heroes is just about 0 for 3 there, with an extra -1 for plot.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
ST:VOY
Is a really good example, actually. The other day I was watching that episode where the ship got torn apart and everyone was blinded and died - it was brilliant and probably what the show should have been.
But when they hit the reset button, I realised that I wouldn't have enjoyed the show half as much if it had been that show.
Or rather, that that show is Battlestar Galactica (which I also love) and ST:VOY is something lightweight and fun, which I enjoy. And that's okay.
If someone wants to make a Heroes-esque show which is dark and accurate and makes sense all the time, then I'll watch and love, but for completely different reasons.

Having said that, I do agree Heroes needs to up its game - but I still think it's salvagable.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it is still very salvageable.
But I don't think it will be salvaged. The writers have shown us time and time again that they are clueless.

Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

Even I think the show could probably be salvaged- but not the way they're going.

It occurred to me today that the reason for the silly Elle-Claire encounter may have largely been that, for all the melodrama and action whirling around Claire, the writers realized that they hadn't actually done anything to get her involved in the main plotline. Which is another suggestion to me that "pacing" is not this show's big problem, per se.

And to be clear, I don't want the show to become "dark", but I do want the writers to take their jobs seriously. It's better to not show characters being killed, for instance, than for the audience to be able to immediately and accurately predict whether this particular "death" should be believed or not. (Originating in Season 2 seems to be a death sentence.) Hiro and Ando are the lightest part of the show, but aside from their own episodes of "we do what we're told for no particularly good reason" disease and the mild annoyance of "you killed me in the future, I'm in a snit", I'd much sooner spend time with them than with the ever-raging angst of Claire.

romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sterling:
Just watched the latest episode on Netflix.

[Wall Bash]

"I needed help, so the best thing I could think of to do is to break into your house and assault you and your family."

"Well, that seems reasonable. Let's fly cross-country together, and have a bonding moment on a plane that shows the writers think a human being can serve as a grounding device. Then we can look for help for no good reason from an enormous secretive organization; it's not like anything like that has ever gone wrong before."

"Oh no! Someone we both know and care about has been thrown out a window! Maybe we should back up and find out what happened in there before we rush into the bowels of the enormous secretive organization!"

"Are you kidding? The show is an hour long, and this plot doesn't have time to stop for contemplative, potentially non-suicidal acts! Do you know what might happen if I take an hour to find out what Peter has to say?"

"Uh, no..."

"Me neither! And I'm not going to find out, either! (rushes inside)"

...Meanwhile...

Daphne and Matt are gruesomely killed. Audience laughs a hearty laugh at the idea we're supposed to believe this for even as long as it takes the special effects to kick in. Matt's mind-reading abilities are thwarted by a plot device.

Mohinder continues his journey towards the Dark Side. Audience wonders how this could have happened to this character, and then remembers that Mohinder hasn't been so much a character as a Plot Device Execution Machine since Season 2.

Nathan Petrelli contemplates the idea of actually using his powers as an elected official of high office to accomplish his goals rather than rushing off like a bull in a china shop, then remembers Elle's admonishment about the dangers of contemplative, non-suicidal acts and announces his intention to rush off to his cipher-like love interest. She, having been drugged and chained to a table as a result of his last great idea, demands to tag along for this one.

Hiro follows in Matt's footsteps and takes part in the "Anyone Can Be Isaac Mendez" workshop. As he falls into a vision-inducing coma, Ando asks if he'll wake up and urgently shouts Hiro's name. Audience reassures Ando that the show would never be quite so stupid as to squander its remaining diminishing market share by killing off its one consistently popular recurring character.

Please don't tell me I'm failing to maintain a proper suspension of disbelief, I'm not familiar with the tropes of comic-book writing, or I'm "failing to enjoy the show for what it is." With the possible exception of Sylar, who might be showing the tiniest degree more depth than most of the characters whose company we're forced to endure, enjoying this last show for "what it is" requires either a pre-frontal lobotomy or two robots and a janitor at the bottom of the screen.

Sterling, that was awesome. More entertaining than the episode.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

Thank you, romanylass. (And you, Corwin.)
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Two of the head writers for the show, and also co-executive producers for the show, have been fired.

NBC didn't like the direction the show was going in. Kring apparently agreed. The rest of the Volume has already been written. "Villains" ends in December. When the show picks back up with "Fugutives," it'll be with new writers.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

I think Kring is half the problem.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Well maybe we're halfway there then. [Smile]
All4Nothing
Member # 11601

- posted      Profile for All4Nothing   Email All4Nothing         Edit/Delete Post 
I, personally like Heroes and I don't focus so much on individual episodes plots as I do the overall story. I think the overall story line is quite evolved and engaging. Of course that's just my opinion. I don't understand why you'd waste time being critical on the computer when you could just turn the channel....it's so much easier. [Smile]
Posts: 115 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Being critical about heroes is only wasting time insofar as discussing anything you care about is wasting time.

The deal here is that probably most of the people in this thread (I will include myself in this, too) are people who care about heroes, who believe it to have potential, but are annoyed that all this potential is being squandered by terrible writing and frequently confusing scrambling retcon of everybody's personalities, motivations, and behaviors.

I want heroes to succeed because I like the idea behind this show and I would like the show to convince other producers to try this kind of stuff, rather than end up wanting to avoid the genre because of the example Heroes set.

But right now they have this frustrating inability to not write a season that sucks so there is consternation! ire! and people making fun of bad writing.

quote:
Big shakeup on the staff of NBC's "Heroes" came down on Sunday with the axing of co-exec producers Jesse Alexander and Jeph Loeb.

Both scribe-producers had been with the show since its first season and were known to have led the day-to-day production operation under the direction of creator/exec producer Tim Kring.

"Heroes," produced by Universal Media Studios, has struggled in the ratings its third season. It's understood that Alexander and Loeb were let go because of Peacock execs' frustration with the creative direction of the show. The show is also said to have been grappling with hefty budget overruns this season, that are going well beyond its already sizable $4 million per-seg pricetag.

Reps for NBC and UMS declined comment.
(Variety.com)

Long overdue but thanks guys
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
Its not a matter of fanboyism, its a matter of enjoying a show, an ability that seems as rare as the powers in the show it seems on this forum.

If the meat is rotten, I'm going to roll my eyes at anyone who is telling me that my problem is that I can't just turn off my tongue and try to enjoy eating it.

Likewise with a show. This plot is lolworthy.

All4Nothing
Member # 11601

- posted      Profile for All4Nothing   Email All4Nothing         Edit/Delete Post 
I just wish it'd stop going up against Monday Night Football.....I keep having to miss it while I watch the game. [Frown]
Posts: 115 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The thing, Samp, is that based on the interviews I've seen, the problem is with Kring's creative direction. He really doesn't understand the genre.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by All4Nothing:
I just wish it'd stop going up against Monday Night Football.....I keep having to miss it while I watch the game. [Frown]

YES.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
The thing, Samp, is that based on the interviews I've seen, the problem is with Kring's creative direction. He really doesn't understand the genre.

I see two options at this point:

1) By getting rid of people like Loeb, whose work on the Ultimates is getting no love from most people I know, they can start going lightly on the comic-bookery of the tv show and temper it with some dramatic coherency. I think heroes will fail as a "comic book tv series" and succeed as "a tv series that deals with comic book stuff realistically."

alternately

2) This won't work, Kring is the problem, and the show will die.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

Update: Heroes may survive by cannibalizing the corpse of Pushing Daisies to reconquer lost creative nutrients.

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7012951320

nom nom nom

Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

Blech, I would pick Pushing Daisies over Heroes any day.
Slim
Member # 2334

- posted      Profile for Slim   Email Slim         Edit/Delete Post 
Why do I like Heroes? Interesting unasked question!

Talking with my best friend, he likes this season better than the first because the first season spent too much time introducing all sorts of new characters and their powers. Now its all action.

My Dad didn't ever like Heroes because it has always been too "soap opera-y." One of my sisters didn't like it because Clair is "too whiny."

But why do I like it? Lots of reasons... the stories... the powers... the action... how even though everything is disconnected, they are all really connected... how they are all just regular people trying to cope with change.

I'm not really persuaded by people's complaints. Heroes is the only show I watch on TV besides The Simpsons. I watch Terminator online, but other than that, I don't think there's anything good on. So maybe I'm just happy with what I have? I also thought Star Wars episodes 1-3 were as good as 4-6. Perhaps I am an oddball? But I don't care. I say, "Bring on more Heroes!"

And to comment on the actual episodes: So they got both halves of the formula, but it still needs to be tested? Isn't this supposedly the formula they used on Nathan and the Nikkis?

And Mr. Petrelli says his plan isn't to give super-powers to everyone. Then what is his plan? Is he lying? Or was Adam right when he said the most likely person to give everyone powers was Mrs. Petrelli? I'm still suspicious of her.

Posts: 172 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
So maybe I'm just happy with what I have? I also thought Star Wars episodes 1-3 were as good as 4-6. Perhaps I am an oddball?
Yup!
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Heroes is the only show I watch on TV besides The Simpsons. I watch Terminator online, but other than that, I don't think there's anything good on. So maybe I'm just happy with what I have? I also thought Star Wars episodes 1-3 were as good as 4-6. Perhaps I am an oddball?
I think it just sounds like you're the kind of person who, once he decides he likes something, continues to believe he likes it even after it's changed into something unrecognizable.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

The "stockholm syndrome" subset of Heroes fans. Season one gets 'em, and then they didn't even admit that season two was pretty lame, they think it was fine.
All4Nothing
Member # 11601

I kinda liked season two actually. That's probably cause I'm caught up in Hiro's inability to use his time abilities to fix everything. I kinda like cheering for the underdog who should actually be the only dog left on the porch. Plus I really enjoyed the ending last season. This season, I've missed way too many episodes to have a valid opinion about. That MNF thing gets me everytime.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Nice episode, but how the heck did Arthur get to Africa!? And why didn't utsutu know held be coming?

Hiro! Freeze time damnit! Freeze time already! We want you to KEEP your powers!

I wonder if the revelation about Linderman was more about Linderman wanting to keep Arthur from eventually doing away with him then actually because he had some form of a conscience remaining?

Interesting that Adam was mentioned... or was he? Who else was from Montreal?

Now the question is did Sylar recognize Elle when they met again earlier in the season or second season?

Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr Patrelli got all of Peter's powers. Peter had Hiro's. The guy can do just about anything he wants.

I didn't care for the episode that much, but I pretty much knew from the previews that I wouldn't. I get bored with their glimpses backwards. I want to move forward.

The end did keep me on pins and needles, though. I hope Hiro didn't lose his powers! And poor African Isaac. Painting the future is a deadly power in this show.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
I loved this episode! :-)
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Aw I liked Usutu. I finally remember where I saw him before this; he played the bartender in Blood Diamond.

I missed some of it, but I'll watch it tomorrow. I read some spoilers, and I won't say what is going to happen, since we haven't yet had spoilers in this thread, but what's to come is pretty interesting.

Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Usutu was one of the only cool new characters imo.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Nathan and Peter interacting is one of my favorite parts of the show, so I loved the episode. I thought I remembered a bit more condescention on Nathan's part toward Peter, but hey, we were ret conning so Seasons 1 and 3 make sense. I can live with that.

I loved that Arthur treated Angela about like Noah treated his wife in the begining. Don't like what I just did? Just remember something else. Plus, it's always nice to see The Haitain again. How a man can just stand still and look so menacing is beyond me.

Zachary Quinto is quickly becoming one of my favorite actors. Everything he did was wonderful, and it was nice to see Kristen Bell get to play off someone on her level.

As for the end, I think I finally understand what Molly meant about the dark man who could see her when she tried to look for him. I had assumed it was Parkman's dad, but I don't think he was it.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

I forgot that Noah is evil.

For the most part the episode was a waste of time, but whatever. It was alright.

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.