FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » League of Legends (Page 2)

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  13  14  15   
Author Topic: League of Legends
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Crap. Stream is down.
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

Someone on reddit said the net connection is down at the venue.

And they're BACK! No idea what happened in the second game yet, or if they decided to restart it. Would be pretty unfair to WE though. The commentators are talking about how "these things happen at lan events", but they're not saying what the heck happened with the second game. Pisses me off.

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

It looks like there will be a rematch. Twitch and own3d went down in seconds after the LoL stream was cut off, most probably from people hitting refresh over and over again...

Anyway, this was very poorly handled for the online audience by Riot.

Corwin
Member # 5705

Wow, 1-1 after a one hour game despite CLG getting 9-1 down in kills. That's just amazing.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
5% of all of our bandwidth being used IN ITS ENTIRETY is the streaming of this event. It's just a matter of this being too popular for any streamer to really handle short of stuff like what professional sports set up for things like NFL games.

Next world championships are probably going to have to have a TV option.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

I'm losing my mind with this game here... It's 3AM and the semis haven't even started.
Corwin
Member # 5705

Seriously, the stream went out after 60 minutes of a game with 6 to 7 kills when CLG and WE were finally getting in a team-fight?! What, will there be another rematch?! This is dumb beyond anything I've ever seen.
Corwin
Member # 5705

They're back, and the commentators are talking about the last team fight and what "could have happened". Yeap, looks like another rematch. Riot needs to come up with a BIIIIIG apology here. And the commentators need to shut up with "and there are still the semifinals coming up" as if there's something to look forward to... Just pitiful.

[ October 06, 2012, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: Corwin ]

Corwin
Member # 5705

This isn't worth it. I'm going to sleep.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
That game was the absolute dumbest of the entire season and people were already starting to cheer ward kills. Injoke of injokes.

And then it goes down in the middle of the first real like actual teamfight. what.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

boy i love watching these clowns spend a trillion hours mewling around each other for the opportunity to earn the privilege to get crushed by azubu
Samprimary
Member # 8561

ARRRRRG

*throws laptop out window*

*quits watching forever*

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't get what happened. The stream went down, but what happened with CLG and WE?
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

Heh, so apparently I took the right decision when going to sleep. CLG v WE and semifinals are postponed. Looking back to what I posted last night I'm amazed at how "clean" my posts were while wanting to punch someone in the face...
Samprimary
Member # 8561

CLG was going on three trillion minutes of an extremely frustratingly cagey game where they refused to commit to any fight at all. It was literally such a cagey match that people took up the hilarious policy of cheering and airhorning every time clg killed one of WE's hundreds of wards

again

and again

and again

and again

and CLG had turned into an inexorable slime mold that was going to slowly push into base and pick towers to death one mincing hit at a time that was going to take foreeeeverrrrrrrrrr and OH MY GOD A TEAMFIGHT ACTUALLY STARTED AND

oh the entire system went down, killing the stream and killing the game. And since LoL has no game recovery function for its client, even in tournaments, so riot looked at this game that CLG was going to totally win and said oh well since they weren't literally charging the nexus over the smoking corpse of the third inhibitor and an aced team, its not assuredly concluded and they have to restart

second game was CLG winning even more and faster but still being pokey cagey as all get-out and then the entire thing went down again.

then they brought the feed up so we could listen to the announcers talk forever as the teams and the crowd slowly froze to death then it goes down again and a message comes up that they will be moving the two teams to a different private location and finish the sixth game or whatever because the venue was completely insecure.

Oh and I guess there's full view minimap information for the game in sight of both teams so they have been looking over at it from time to time or something! Great tournament guys.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh gosh, that sounds like eSports hell. I'm kinda glad I decided to go help ol' gramps go to church.I can just see myself blowing it all off, dealing with this, and thinking, "Awesome, God cursed LoL for my golden calf blasphemy."
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIKmIMxsq_8
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I'm not sure if WE was smiling because they got another chance, or because they, like everybody else, realized just how ridiculous the situation was. Riot Games *really* dropped the ball this time. This is World Championships, not the Red Bull Dallas event.

Their game is possibly on the path to become a staple of e-sports for the next 10 years, and e-sports is slowly emerging as one of the huge new media offerings. In the next 30 years it may very well overtake some sports leagues. They were completely caught with their pants down.

Corwin
Member # 5705

Finally there's a bigger post about all the problems (day 3 and before): http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2646142

Still not enough in my opinion, but I'm more interested in how they're going to fix all this in time for Saturday's final.

The one day IP boost provided as compensation is a bit weak too; not everyone will be able to play on Sunday, especially since we'll be up all night to see the final. A 10-win IP boost would have been better.

Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
This tournament was one of the worst handled I have ever seen. I've actually been to quite a few League tournaments as I usually get press passes.

Having the mini-map, having a non-secure internet connection, and having the tournament outside are just a few of the idiotic decisions made by Riot.

Many now believe that it was a DDOS attack that brought down the servers. I don't know exactly what happened, but you would think that having the largest e-sports tournament North America has ever seen would make Riot pay extra attention to things like having a stable, secure connection.

To be honest however this doesn't really surprise me. I've met quite a few members of Riot, and while they love their game and love what they do, most of their team is under 30 and started there right after college. There is an experience factor that needs to be considered and most of Riot's team just doesn't have that yet.

As far as the thread regarding gender, I think it is stupid. LoL is a game for crying out loud. Pick up any game with a storyline, and you will find some instance of gender roles or sexualization of characters.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I just downloaded LoL after reading this thread a few days ago. It seems.....decent. Hard to learn on your own, but pretty cool...
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

The community can drive you up the wall sometimes though. It's best played with friends.
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I played it very briefly. To me it seemed like a game that I'd enjoy if I were single and had lots of free time to play and obsess over, but that as a casual player it wasn't going to be good for me.

I think one of my first games lasted 40+ minutes, and that's just too long a time chunk for this employed married father to commit to (without a pause button).

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

True, commitment to a match is a big thing in LoL. Although usually games last closer to 20-25-30 minutes than to 40+ minutes.
Corwin
Member # 5705

Geraine, I don't agree with you with regards to the thread about gender. I think that one is absolutely a move in the right direction. I'm not sure how much you've followed the forums, but I've started on the NA server, moved to EU when it was formed, then EUW and EUNE after the split. On all of them there have been threads about wanting female champions with different body types, different roles and less sexualized skins since forever. Riot came closer but still missed the target with Leona and Sejuani.

Anyway, people aren't arguing against "sexy" champs/skins. They're arguing against having *only* this type of female champs/skins.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Corwin:
True, commitment to a match is a big thing in LoL. Although usually games last closer to 20-25-30 minutes than to 40+ minutes.

Definitely true. I probably played up to the level where I would have started looking for a serious guild, it's just fantastic. But I can't commit to 20-60 minutes enough to be competative, I enjoy watching it played, and will probably come back one day to play casually.
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Yep, even 30 mins is a terribly long time for me it seems. I recently fired back up World of Tanks, and while it has its problems, the games are typically around 10 minutes on average (max of 15). For me that's about perfect. That's probably going to be the sweet spot for online gaming for me for a while.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
As far as the thread regarding gender, I think it is stupid. LoL is a game for crying out loud. Pick up any game with a storyline, and you will find some instance of gender roles or sexualization of characters. [/QB]
We've been down this nearly exact same road before. Damagingly sexist stereotypes being ubiquitous in gaming does not make a specific example of it okay, or any more okay than it was before. It just makes it more typical. You don't get to use "well everyone else is doing it too" as a credit to any individual perpetrator, it just acts as a credit against gaming culture on the whole that said sexist stereotypes are so overwhelmingly commonplace.

"It's just a game!" is an anti-excuse. It is only excusing and committing to the continuation of sexist culture.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

100% agree.
Corwin
Member # 5705

Looks like the quarterfinal and the semis will be played tomorrow evening. There's just a red post in the forums about it but a first-page announcement should come soon. Unfortunately this means I won't see them, since they're going to start at 2AM here... I'm just glad that they managed to find a venue and not delay the final.

I do hope that they get better at providing VODs for games; right now there are some videos from day one, but nothing from day two on the tournament website. I'm not sure if I can find those on twitch or own3d, I'll have to look later today.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Evening you say?
Corwin
Member # 5705

5PM PST.

By the way, WE vs CLG.EU is a completely new best of 3, not just the third game.

Corwin
Member # 5705

The bonus IP compensation has been switched to the 20-21 weekend. When I'm away in France. Oh well. It's still better for most people than the Sunday after the finals when especially the Europeans will be tired from staying up to watch the games. Would have been even better to make it a 10-win boost, but I guess you can't have everything...
Geraine
Member # 9913

quote:
Geraine, I don't agree with you with regards to the thread about gender. I think that one is absolutely a move in the right direction. I'm not sure how much you've followed the forums, but I've started on the NA server, moved to EU when it was formed, then EUW and EUNE after the split. On all of them there have been threads about wanting female champions with different body types, different roles and less sexualized skins since forever. Riot came closer but still missed the target with Leona and Sejuani.

Anyway, people aren't arguing against "sexy" champs/skins. They're arguing against having *only* this type of female champs/skins.

That's just it. There are female champions that ALREADY don't fall under that. Look at Annie. She was one of the first released, and she is a kid. Anivia is female. Karma is another example of a champion that looks normal and is fully clothed. Soraka recently had her remake and they covered her side boob. There could be more diversity, but saying that Riot :only: does these types of female champions simply isn't true.
Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Annie is a little girl, it would be disturbing to sexualize that, Riot isn't an anime writers studio. Karma is a good example, except she isn't used much. I suspect if she was, we'd eventually see a sexy skin. Good for Soraka, she's supposed to be cursed, not sexified.

Nobody is arguing that Riot *only* does those kinds of characters. Leona is my favorite character and she hasn't been done that way.

But there is a definite propensity for Riot to sexualize their female characters, most likely because they sell more skins doing so, and there's a demand for it.

Corwin
Member # 5705

Actually, as even reds said, Leona does have a similar body type to other female champions. She is more covered than others, but she still has an armor that accentuates her breasts. Not to mention the Valkyrie Leona skin.

And as BB said, Anie is a little girl. And Anivia is a "monster", and Yordles are, well, Yordles. I'm not sure anyone looks at a Yordle and even considers their genders. For all I care they could be hermaphrodites all of them.

But then you get: Ahri, Akali, Ashe, Cait, Cass (even if she's half snake), Eve, Fiora, Irelia, Janna, Kata, LeBlanc, Lux, MF, Morgana, Nidalee, Orianna, Riven, Sejuani, Sivir, Sona, Syndra, Vayne, Zyra. They all have "sexy" models and/or "sexy" skins. Even Diana, who's original model is not sexualized, has a "sexier" skin. Where is the real female ninja? The graying hair female Darius? The female Olaf? The female Gragas? The old wise female Zilean? Compare Graves and Cait if you want. Also, I don't think many people cared about Soraka's side boob, since she wasn't really a sexualized champion (I might be wrong; anyway, *I* didn't care); the new skin on the other hand falls back towards that same ol' body type, hooves notwithstanding.

Anyway, this is just a quickly put together answer. If you want to understand more about the subject go read the thread in its entirety, including red posts. There are people there who have put much more thought into this, or for which it's their job to think about this.

Geraine
Member # 9913

Fair enough, I get it.

I am all for more champion diversity, and I would be lying if I didn't think a fat, ugly, old female champion wouldn't be fun to play.

Except.....If there was a female Gragas, please please please make her with a shirt on [Razz]

Corwin
Member # 5705

[Big Grin]

By the way, you mentioned getting press passes to LoL tournaments. Are you working for a gaming website or something like that?

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

M5 defeated by TA! Go team Taipei!
Geraine
Member # 9913

Corwin,

Yes, for about a year I was on a weekly LoL show in which we always had a pro player as a guest. It was called Beyond the Rift.

I am still a LoL player, but most of our group moved to Smite now, mostly because Hi-Rez really supports us. We still have a show, but I am not on it anymore and it is on Smite, which isn't my cup of tea.

Our Website is www.blgaming.com if you want to check it out. If anyone is coming to IPL 5 I might see you there. RedBaron and HatPerson were actually guests on our show before they worked for IGN, so they usually make sure I can get tickets if I want them. Since I live in Vegas, it is pretty awesome!

I am a little let down that M5 is out, but TA really played well. Stanley was INSANE with Nidalee, and I felt they earned that last win. Alex Ich really wasn't on his game with the Gragas, and most of his ulties were badly placed.

I would like to see an EU / Asia final, so I have to root for CLG.EU.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

UP IS DOWN
DOWN IS UP

Corwin
Member # 5705

I woke up just in time to see the second AZF vs CLG.EU game. What a stomp! I think this is the first time Ahri was played in this tournament.
Corwin
Member # 5705

AZF are really looking to throw this one...
Corwin
Member # 5705

Never mind. [Big Grin]
Corwin
Member # 5705

So TPA vs AZF in the finals. I honestly have no idea who'll win this. Both top lane players are insanely good, but the question is if the enemy team will allow them to pick Nidalee and Singed respectively.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Singed has really been the star of this tourney. Above and beyond Autowin Ezreal.
Corwin
Member # 5705

Well, "Autowin" Ezreal had a 37.5% win rate prior to Wednesday's matches. [Smile]
Samprimary
Member # 8561

yeah, 'autowin ez' was a theme they had coming into the matches, asserting that ez was gonna be an autoban and or fixture of winning teams
Corwin
Member # 5705

Since the finals are at 3:30AM here I'm going to have to alter my sleep schedule a bit. [Big Grin] I'll probably go to sleep around 10PM, put the alarm at 3AM and hope for a 3-game final! [Razz]
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Kinda pleased we have an Asian final. I'll be missing it since it's 6:00pm my time, and I'll be visiting with friends.
  This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  13  14  15   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.