FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » League of Legends (Page 5)

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  13  14  15   
Author Topic: League of Legends
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Xerath was back in action for TSM, who also won. All three games so far looked eerily similar: very slow early game, with the higher rated team pulling ahead, a few team fights won by them, and then just marching to victory. I'd really love it if one of the bottom 4 teams came up with something different, be it a champ or a strat, and made things a bit more interesting...

GGU vs CLG is next, probably the last I'll be able to watch today.

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

Much closer game for a good while, but it also ended up with a CLG win. GGU didn't really have the teamfight presence this time... No good initiator, little AoE and not enough poke (if that's what they were going for). Still, they put up a much better fight than any of the previous 3 losing teams.
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched Dignitas finally stop Curse's streak. I also saw a Tryndamere ban, and now I am sad I didn't get to see an AP Trynd.

[ February 28, 2013, 12:08 AM: Message edited by: BlackBlade ]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to get into this, but whenever I mention it, everyone tells me I should get a partner to learn the game with, and that I'll just be miserable if I try to do it solo. Anyone want to get humbled with me?
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

I've pretty much played it all by myself, but yeah, if you can get someone to play with you, it's even better. I assume you're playing on the NA server though, so I'm out of the question. [Smile]
Corwin
Member # 5705

BB, you can see the VoDs from the games. Not sure if they're somewhere on the official league website (lolesports.com), but you can definitely find them from leaguepedia.com. Can't wait to see the Dignitas vs Curse replay. I kind of expected Dignitas to be the one to catch up with them, even though I'm a Curse fan.
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by umberhulk:
I want to get into this, but whenever I mention it, everyone tells me I should get a partner to learn the game with, and that I'll just be miserable if I try to do it solo. Anyone want to get humbled with me?

I have a low level account called BorisMarkov and a level 30 account called BorisMKV (notice a theme?). If you feel like signing up and trying out, add the BorisMKV account and send me a message if I'm online. I have a personal Teamspeak server we can do voice over and I can walk you through some of the game theory. I'm not a fantastic player, and there's actually a lot to learn, but I can help you get started if you like.

If you haven't done DOTA or similar games before, it can probably be a little imposing to get started. High level players slumming with low level accounts will chew you out endlessly until you get a grasp of the game. Low level play is also very different from high level play. You'll see a lot less jungling at low levels than you do at higher levels. But the first few levels kinda fly by and before you know it, you'll be hooked.

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

Boris, I'm curios, why do people use things like Teamspeak instead of Skype or Google Talk? I haven't used either for games, but I've used Skype at work a lot and Google Talk with friends.

---

Wow, just saw that MRN beat both CLG and TSM! Two more games to watch.

---

BB, I just saw that Tryndamere was also picked by GGU in their match vs TSM. They did lose though. He was banned twice vs Curse (by dig and coL). Anyway, his AP ratios will be nerfed in the next patch I think, so he might go back into obscurity afterwards.

Boris
Member # 6935

Dunno. I just have a server at home that I use for learning IT stuff and I figured, what the heck. Might as well throw a Teamspeak server on it, since I have some friends that I like to play games with. There are some additional features like room channeling that allow you to handle dozens of different groups of people on the same server, and people can pop back and forth between channels pretty easy.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

Ok, thanks, that explains it. [Smile]
Corwin
Member # 5705

Well, first game of the day, 62 minutes win for TSM. This is crazy! [Big Grin] I didn't catch the start, just saw TSM's comeback.
Corwin
Member # 5705

And to make up for that, dignitas take out compLexity in a pretty much perfect game: 14-0 in kills, 11-0 in turrets, all inhibitors taken out by dig, 19:55 end time. Poor coL, didn't even get to surrender...
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that Dignitas game was pretty crushing.

I used to hate Diginitas when Jatt was on the team (I think he is the biggest douche in the history of esports next to Hotshotgg and Elementz) but I can tolerate him as a caster since it seems he has grown up a bit. I like Dignitas a lot now.

And I'm only saying those things from personal experience. Through some past endeavors I've had the opportunity to get to know quite a few of the pro players.

Shushei, on Dragonborns (formerly of Fanatic) is probably the nicest guy I have ever met. I root for his team simply because he is such a good guy. [Smile]

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

Aaand CLG beat Curse, so now Dignitas are number one. I guess I called it, but I'm not happy about it. [Razz] There's still time for a reverse in rankings if Dig lose and Curse win today, but I can't really predict the results in Curse vs TSM *or* in Dig vs MRN.

---

Geraine, Shushei does indeed come off as a nice guy during the interviews I've seen. [Smile] I'm curious why you include Elementz in the big douches category. And what's your opinion on Saintvicious?

Corwin
Member # 5705

Now a Garen picked by Giants vs Fnatic. Quite a few champs have been played in the LCS so far.

Edit: Although Fnatic make Garen look kind of useless.

[ March 01, 2013, 08:47 AM: Message edited by: Corwin ]

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
The new ping system is cool. But I really wish there was a way to mark where enemy wards have been placed.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

Hehe, the same thing was said by someone in the EUNE forum. [Smile] I haven't had the time to try it, maybe I'll play a bit with it tonight.
Corwin
Member # 5705

Fnatic vs DB right now. Love what DB are doing: Draven vs Nidalee in the middle, Draven actually flashes in for the first blood! Fnatic's jungle Vi took out Draven but Amumu followed up too and took out Vi. Crazy, crazy start. "Brothers" Draven and Darius on the same team. [Smile]
Corwin
Member # 5705

Fnatic still won. But really poor build decisions by DB vs a double AP composition, and some really, really bad positioning. I'm frankly disappointed; with how close in kills (but not in turrets) the game was, if DB played better strategically they could have had a real chance.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Corwin:
Boris, I'm curios, why do people use things like Teamspeak instead of Skype or Google Talk? I haven't used either for games, but I've used Skype at work a lot and Google Talk with friends.

We use Teamspeak for Mechwarrior Online, and before we used Ventrillo. We have at least 20-30 people on at a time, in 5-10 different drops, and sometimes have literally 120 people on for meetings and for general play.

Plus you can monitor the traffic better. Sometimes we have troll show up, and we can mute or ban them.

Some of the guys have even set up whisper routes to specific players in game, and can give the scouts one order and the snipers another without cluttering their comms. It's a sweet system, although not one I use.

Only down side is it requires a server, but now days people don't find that an issue as much as in the past. You can log in and wait for others to join too, so you don't require a partner to start. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

Realistically it just requires a spare computer...I have 2 of those just laying around my house at this point. I am a geek.
Corwin
Member # 5705

Wolves picked up their first win of the league, ending with a pentakill for their Syndra. An extremely well played game from them. Hopefully they'll build up a bit from this. [Smile]
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I managed to catch Curse V TSM, and CLG V Complexity. The first game was a bit of a nail-biter. The second was a good game, but CLG won handily.

Seeing Xerath banned so much is perplexing. I'd love to see how he's being played these days.

Corwin
Member # 5705

As I said, just watch the VODs. [Smile] He's got a huge range and very good magic penetration, and in a good team his mobility problems aren't that important. We will probably see him picked in solo queue more too.
Corwin
Member # 5705

Wow... First games of day 2 in Europe and Wolves beat Fnatic (didn't see the game), while aAa beat EG. Crazy stuff.
Corwin
Member # 5705

SK vs Wolves now. Wolves' Nidalee incredibly spears away their blue buff from an SK 4 men invade, but their Shen gets caught trying to get the enemy blue buff, and SK's Diana takes first blood and blue (2 assists for SK). Very interesting start.

Fnatic lost to GG, and suddenly GG are first in EU with 7-2, Fnatic second with 7-3.

Corwin
Member # 5705

Wolves did end up being dominated by SK. Oh well, win streak ended. [Wink]

Right now it's GG (well, GMB on the screen) vs aAa, and GG's support Lulu is 5/0/2 right now. Yeah... Bought Philo and Kage's very early on, has Ruby Sightstone, boots and Kindlegem at 15 minutes, and more kills than the whole of aAa! Every support player's dream. [Big Grin] And he just bought CDR boots.

Corwin
Member # 5705

I just watched the replay of Fnatic vs Wolves. Whoever hasn't seen it, watch it, it's one of the most exciting LoL games I've ever seen, and the finish just tops it off.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I can't find where all the vods are.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Found 'em.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Maybe we didn't watch the same game, but I felt like it was super lopsided.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Yeah, I definitely watched the wrong game. It was last weeks series.
Corwin
Member # 5705

Hehe, yeah, this week's game was anything but lopsided. [Smile]

There's a strange game right now, with DragonBorns playing with a duo lane Nidalee. I'm not sure it's AD Nidalee actually... They do have Kha'Zix and Jarvan for the physical damage, so it might be an AP Nidalee played by their usual AD carry, with a Soraka support. I have no idea what's gonna happen here.

Corwin
Member # 5705

Yeap, it's AP Nidalee. They did manage to force EG's Draven out of lane once already.

So no ranged AD carry for DB. I wonder how this will work in the late game.

Corwin
Member # 5705

DB are totally controlling the game. 8-4 in turrets, two inhibitors exposed. And even with TF and Shen on EG it seems like they can't afford to split push. Amazing.

Edit: And just as I say this, DB take an ace for 0 kills, and take out EG's nexus! Wow... Who needs ranged AD carries anyway when you have Nidalee and Kha'Zix to lay out the damage, and Soraka to keep you in the fight forever?!

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

OK, NOW I know what you are talking about. There were so many breathless moments!
Corwin
Member # 5705

I knew the score and still wondered how the Wolves were going to win right until the very end. [Smile]
Corwin
Member # 5705

I think leaguepedia.com has the updated EU rankings, and DB are now 4-4 while EG are at 6-5. From the two leagues (EU and NA) DB are the closest bottom four team to get into the top four. Both DB and EG have one more game today, so this might actually happen, although EG have an easier game than DB.
Corwin
Member # 5705

Wow, CW's AP mid was insane vs Giants: 15/0/4, and he participated in all of CW's kills. Too bad he was too young to play in the first two weeks, I wonder where they would have been right now in the rankings...
Corwin
Member # 5705

DB got almost the same comp vs SK as they did in the previous game, just Xin instead of Jarvan, and he's going top, letting Elise in the jungle. Yet another AP Nidalee probably in the duo lane, and no ranged AD carry. SK don't seem to be afraid of this though, let's see how it goes.

Edit: Horrible start for DB. They do initiate a lane change, but Nid dies top from a Nasus gank, and then both Xin and Elise die in bot lane and SK take out the turret too. Why did DB switch lanes anyway?! o_O

Edit2: SK completely destroyed DB, 12-0 in kills. Frankly, I think DB badly misplayed this... Oh well.

[ March 03, 2013, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: Corwin ]

Corwin
Member # 5705

Last game of week 4, Giants vs EG. Giants did let Froggen get Anivia, and Samux "dares" to play Irelia vs Wickd. I feel that the Giants are going to regret these choices...

Edit: EG started well, then got stupidly cocky. No wards both top and bottom, and they lose two people top and three bottom. Giants also take dragon to take a 2.5k gold lead.

Edit2: Kinda feels like EG are completely throwing this. After being 2-0 up in kills they are now 9-2 down, and the gold lead for Giants is now 4k.

Edit3: Ended up with 15-2 in kills for Giants. Horrible play by EG though. Probably set up by their being 1-3 in wins this week, who knows?!

[ March 03, 2013, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: Corwin ]

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I have lost 9 ranked games in a row. I went from halfway to gold qualifiers to almost out of Silver Division II. I am so frustrated.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

10 games. I swear every game I go into it with the same mindset that got me near gold league. Nothing seems to work.
Corwin
Member # 5705

Any reason you're playing only Leona? Do you play with a friend in bottom lane?

Edit: Apparently not, as far as I can tell from lolking.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I just really like Leona. At this point I could start practicing with other supports, but I'd have to do non-ranked until I was comfortable with another one.

My initial goal was to take Leona to gold, then start transitioning to other characters.

Corwin
Member # 5705

You're very courageous. [Smile] I main junglers and supports and still I wouldn't dare play supports-only if I wanted to advance in ranked.

Did any of the match-ups seem particularly uneven? Or did any junglers have a high impact on your lane?

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Corwin:
You're very courageous. [Smile] I main junglers and supports and still I wouldn't dare play supports-only if I wanted to advance in ranked.

Did any of the match-ups seem particularly uneven? Or did any junglers have a high impact on your lane?

A couple of things. Overall I think there was an undercurrent of just luck. Either my team fought hard, but just couldn't crest the hill, or we suffered early losses and people starting bitching at each other.

I had games where I had scores I was proud of, and some where I was not. None of the ten games were situations where I was able to successfully beat the snot out of bottom lane. This is pretty atypical of me, but we'd get ganks, but the AD carry would then shove up the lane and not leave, trying to get tower hits, and get ganked by the jungler. Or I'd initiate on the support so the two AD carries would suddenly start dueling, mine would lose, and then it's a 2v1 situation.

Lots of different things in each game. I can't really say my level of play has been all that different, I'm just running up against stiffer competition (as expected), but now still losing against players I should be able to defeat at least 50% of the time.

I mean, am I going to win 10 games in a row now at some point?

Corwin
Member # 5705

Heh, probably. In season 2 I did have long streaks of lost games (around 8-9) but also some winning streaks.

By the way, I just played my first Season 3 ranked game yesterday, with Ryze. Faced a Cassiopeia (against which I usually lose badly), but this time I managed to stay equal in minions (partly because he was bad at farming, partly because I warded enough not to be afraid to go for last hits), and even got a few early kills. I did get caught a few times in the middle game when the whole team entered a bad phase, but we stopped the downturn quickly enough. So now I'm 1-0 in ranked. Yay! [Smile]

I'm still practicing some junglers in normal games, but I'm definitely ready to play more ranked ones now.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I feel like the only way out of this streak is to just keep playing, and expect to win. So far it has not worked. :\
Corwin
Member # 5705

Why don't you play a few normals for a while, and change champs a bit just to have fun? By the way, since you like Leona, have you tried Jarvan (jungle or top, or even mid if your team comp allows it)? He's got a somewhat similar kit.

I've seen some jungle Leona too (in LCS or IEM, don't remember exactly), but she's very team dependent in the jungle so I don't really recommend it.

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  13  14  15   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.