Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 87)

This topic comprises 87 pages: 1  2  3  ...  84  85  86  87   
Author Topic: Random musings.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bordering on politics here.
Posts: 8599 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walexander
Member # 9151

- posted      Profile for walexander   Email walexander         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The US constitution needs a rewrite and update for the 21st century.

The selective service does not allow you to bring your own weapons, but they will be happy to supply you with a uniform and gun when you are drafted or volunteer.

The notion of personal weaponry needed in the modern age is based on the break down of civilization or personal self-defense against hostile citizens - gangs, serial killer, rapist, disgruntled employee, domestic violence, but odds are you won't have your weapon at the time they do because they pick soft targets to victimize. Evil doesn't choose a fair fight.

I'm neither for nor against the right to bear arms or the second amendment. Just stating the facts on the matter. No politics implied.

@E. Were they using the hyphen in the 18th century?

Posts: 560 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well-being is a model hyphenated-words example, hyphenated circa 1582.

Matters of syntax canons; that is, subject and nominative referent; i.e., pronoun-subject antecedent aptitude or error.

"Last-Antecedent Canon. A pronoun, relative pronoun, or demonstrative adjective generally refers to the nearest reasonable antecedent.

"Series-Qualifier Canon. When there is a straightforward, parallel construction that involves all nouns or verbs in a series, a prepositive or postpositive modifier normally applies to the entire series.

"Nearest-Reasonable-Referent Canon. When the syntax involves something other than a parallel series of nouns or verbs, a prepositive or postpositive modifier normally applies only to the nearest reasonable referent."

Antonin Scalia and Bryan Garner. Reading Law: The Interpretation of Legal Texts.

For prose applications, these matters more so rely upon writer and reader aptitudes and implication and interpretation aptitudes -- and grammar aptitude.

Charles Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities "It" prologue start is an example of nearest reasonable referent postpositive subject referents and of the series-qualifier canon.

The three canons fail for wills that use journalism's serial list separation and for likewise False Documents (texts factual in a fictive milieu). I, Noblious Tiberius Klink, patriarch, do hereby and herewith, to my next heirs, Jonathan, Jerold and Jane, scion siblings, bequeath mine whole fortune and estate in equity.

Anyway, this grist is offered for a de copia exercise prompt, not political discourse.

Posts: 5378 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by walexander:
The US constitution needs a rewrite and update for the 21st century.

The selective service does not allow you to bring your own weapons, but they will be happy to supply you with a uniform and gun when you are drafted or volunteer.

The notion of personal weaponry needed in the modern age is based on the break down of civilization or personal self-defense against hostile citizens - gangs, serial killer, rapist, disgruntled employee, domestic violence, but odds are you won't have your weapon at the time they do because they pick soft targets to victimize. Evil doesn't choose a fair fight.

I'm neither for nor against the right to bear arms or the second amendment. Just stating the facts on the matter. No politics implied.

@E. Were they using the hyphen in the 18th century?

As you probably know there are two ways to change the Constitution. By amendment and by a special states convention. You might be interested in learning that there is a movement to have that special meeting of states. I should know the name of it, but I apologize for my poor memory today. Anyway, some states have already said they would join in. Personally I would be surprised if it happens but it is creeping onward.
Posts: 5279 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, hmm. Not many people here publishing lately? Or they just do not feel like announcing it here? I can't find the right forum because of that for I have a new book out.
Posts: 5279 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Post publication notices at "Hatrack Writers - Publications & Reviews."
Posts: 5378 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:
Originally posted by extrinsic:
Post publication notices at "Hatrack Writers - Publications & Reviews."

Thank you Been too long since I looked for that,
extrinsic
Member # 8019

Merry Tax day, U.S. Coincidence the date falls midway between April Fools' and Mayday [sic]!?
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Taking a moment to cite the departure of the Statues of Liberty. Season's over.
Posts: 8743 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walexander
Member # 9151

- posted      Profile for walexander   Email walexander         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I know this will shock everyone, but the names are out, and I still haven't won a Pulitzer yet. [Cool]

And I thought my investigative reporting on when is the best time to rototill your soil for planting was riveting. Or when you should spray for those pesky spring weeds and insects. I just don't understand it, that was a story every American could identify with, but no, I've been passed over again. [Frown]

I better do some serious reflecting on my life because at age fifty I still don't have a Pulitzer, so I believe my career is all downhill from here. I better just give up.

Well, maybe I'll give it one more year, they can't pass me up again. [Big Grin]

W.

Posts: 560 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

Pulitzers, like most all or all of literary prize culture, insidiously distinguish notable satire works, regardless of genre, yet award winners are appealing and fulfilling entertainments, too. Some might assert that fantastic fiction's literary awards are exceptions, includes the L. Ron Hubbard Writers of the Future quarterly and annual Golden Pen awards. Nope, only more covert and deeper satire subtext than other genres, more, perhaps unintended, smart subconscious plants than other genres.

I can see how garden till and spray schedules could be satire. Meantime, red onions grown from seeds planted twenty-six months ago bloomed seed heads this week. Finally, ripe and ready for table. Never mind deer ate all the tomato and bell pepper sprouts and all but three of the onion sprouts planted back when.

This topic comprises 87 pages: 1  2  3  ...  84  85  86  87   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.