Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 86)

This topic comprises 86 pages: 1  2  3  ...  83  84  85  86   
Author Topic: Random musings.
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No doubt what a target audience wants, needs, and when, where, what, why, how, who are monumental challenges. I'm not a writer for "the reader." Oh how that term grates my teeth. Who is this the reader anyway? Like the proverbial they who no one ever meets and from which all suffer a barrage of interminable ruin? I am a writer for a target niche I have yet to reach on shared essentialists' existential plane. Hello, are you out there?
Posts: 5298 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jack Albany
Member # 10698

- posted      Profile for Jack Albany   Email Jack Albany         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ubiquitous or not, THE READER is your target audience. Writer aesthetics aside, if you want your message read it is essential to appreciate the things your reader's feel they need. They may prefer form to function, or not. But if you misread their wants they may not read on.
Posts: 75 | Registered: Jun 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A reader of one who represents a sufficient number of readers' tastes, sentiments, sensibilities to warrant publication is my target audience. I'm still shy of a full definition for that one reader, closer than before, though. An area shy of the mark before me and elusive is appreciations of a fellow pluralist.

Easy to argue for or against any particular issue; hard to refute and support both yet blaze a true path forward while all the others do is hypocritically talk about how wicked the other side is.

Lightbulb joke in that latter. How many people does it take to change a lightbulb? One, the custodian at town hall changes the burnt-out lightbulb in a cellar closet. He's suspended for failure to requisition the replacement in triplicate, not notarized by an authorized official and not drawn from government inventory, investigated and fired after due process, because someone on the council has a shiftless relative in mind for the job.

Everyone talks about how noble the old lightbulb was and how wicked the new one is. Legislators empanel hearings, lawyers size up sides, for and against the new lightbulb, for and against the custodian's termination, for and against the custodian's severance pay and/or pension, for and against the custodian's trial and conviction for malfeasance of office and abuse of power, for and against the janitor department, the council, the mayor, the chief of police, the dog catcher, the government, lightbulb makers, unions, insurance companies, and reporters.

Reporters report how salacious the custodian's private life is, the councilpersons' salacious private lives, who backed his termination or forgiveness, about lightbulb life cycles and state-of-the-art light technology, life-long corruptions of all and sundry, and invent corruptions if none are available.

The old lightbulb is displayed in state and then interred with full honors. The new lightbulb is removed, ordered replaced at 600 times the usual shelf cost, after crony and patronage and nepotism "low bid" requests for proposals run awry. A mayoral candidate touts that the lightbulb-less closet saves taxpayers eight cents a day electricity costs. The closet remains lightbulb-less, forgotten for a century while the wranglers grapple the mangle.

[ February 08, 2018, 08:53 AM: Message edited by: extrinsic ]

Posts: 5298 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jack Albany
Member # 10698

- posted      Profile for Jack Albany   Email Jack Albany         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also seek a single reader; yet representative of many similar to me.
Posts: 75 | Registered: Jun 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walexander
Member # 9151

- posted      Profile for walexander   Email walexander         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry E. but there is one fact you have failed to acknowledge in your colorful light bulb story: you thought the old light bulb died of natural causes, but in truth, it was--MURDER! There's a witness, Some backroom closet floozy had come around to turn him on when she heard the sound of a loud POP just before the old bulbster's light went out. She said she'd seen him crossing wires with a few grungy burnouts who'd been sparking a lot of trouble lately. You know, dimmer bulbs, all high on fluorescent. Rumor is they had been juicing him, threatening to blow his filament out if he didn't step down. Now he's dead, and everybulb's acting like it's just another case of voltage as usual. But something smells funny about this outlet and I'm not going to stop until I close this circuit.
Posts: 522 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

Though variant from the lightbulb joke tradition, the lightbulb is itself an active influence persona of the drama, now that you mention it. "Everybulb," exquisite metaphor! Altogether, Maria Edgeworth and Jonathan Swift Irish-anglo Bull satire territory.

[ February 11, 2018, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: extrinsic ]

walexander
Member # 9151

- posted      Profile for walexander   Email walexander         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, E. It took away a little boredom.
Posts: 522 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

quote:
Originally posted by walexander:
Thanks, E. It took away a little boredom.

Go for broke? A lightbulb joke interpreted as a full-blown dramatic narrative, lightbulb and similar motifs, say, camera personifications, has yet to be done in print or motion picture. A lightbulb true-crime and political intrigue noir satire strikes me as ripe for publication success.
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Albany:
I also seek a single reader; yet representative of many similar to me.

Not to be contrary for contrariness's sake, several audience target considerations; "preach to the choir," so to speak, sermonize to the congregation, express persuasive appeals for personal social reform and maturation purposes to the as-yet unrepentant. Though I target one reader, the latter is my true target motivation, meantime, capture the former audiences, too, and each by and through the others.

[ February 13, 2018, 12:54 AM: Message edited by: extrinsic ]

walexander
Member # 9151

Here we are on the snow drifts of Idaho. I'm out in the blizzard to interview the survivors of SV day. "Excuse me, sir, are you a veteran of SV (Saint Valentine's) day?

"Yes, cards, candies, movies, flowers, dinner, over and over my company tried to take that hill but failed. The enemy outmaneuvered us. Shifting this way and that. Soon I realized it was hopeless. Whatever we did, it was countered with ruthless precision. Then I saw a break in the bombardment, a lull in the endless strikes against our soft targets. I said to myself and the men, "This is our moment. Our chance to rise above those who falter and fade away. Our moment to prove whether we are men or mice. Who's with me?"

And they responded, "Squeak."

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw my first statue of liberty yesterday. Realized that I no longer drive by some Liberty tax services so they could have had some out on the corner and I would n't have seen them. But I am sure that last year there were more statures hanging out on street corners.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

Saint Valentine's day usurps an earlier traditional northern hemisphere winter celebration day, long before any arbitrary ancient Greek or Roman or Christian celebrations; that is, a waymark celebration of a midpoint between the winter solstice and vernal equinox.

Celebrants shook off the doldrums of being cabin bound for half winter's deep freeze season, met up for maiden and young buck ritual display dress rehearsals, and general revelry overall, really, to share potluck root pit, grain sack, and smoke rack overstocks in exchange for shortfalls met, for dietary nutrition health benefits. The feast made the next winter stretch into spring more cope-able. And reminded all and sundry the spring season fast approaches.

Chocolate and blossom and such are mere commercial exhortations calculated to support consumer materialism industry. Back to basics and forward to exhalation celebrants realize the sincere thought, speech, action, gift counts most to signal genuine affection: familias, philia, storge, agape, amor; or eros, if one must. Imagination lackers go the convenient spender habit route. Immediate, effortless gratification is as hollow as a loveless romance or affection and respect-less kinship or friendship-less friendship.

[ February 15, 2018, 12:55 AM: Message edited by: extrinsic ]

walexander
Member # 9151

Those who have said, "Can't teach an old dog new tricks," have never wanted to be a published writer.
  This topic comprises 86 pages: 1  2  3  ...  83  84  85  86   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.