FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The monkey's paw -- a game (Page 28)

This topic comprises 31 pages: 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28  29  30  31   
Author Topic: The monkey's paw -- a game
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:

I wish I were a little taller.

How interesting.

On an unrelated note, I wish I was a baller.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I wish plastics were more biodegradable.
Granted, of course, you can't read this because your monitor is a puddle of goo. Nor can you respond because your fingers have pushed through the spongy mass that was your keyboard. Yuck!

I wish my posts would say what I meant, not what I wrote.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happymann
Member # 9559

- posted      Profile for happymann   Email happymann         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted. But it's in a language that only two old ladies in the Yukon understand. And they're going to die soon.

I wish I could finish up my training in half the time.

Posts: 258 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted, unfortunately among the lessons you skipped were some vital safety instructions and you have somehow managed to incinerate your boss's classic automobile collection.

I wish I had a classic automobile collection.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted! Unfortunately you've inadvertently stolen Sir Elton John and Rowen Atkinson's collections! Sir Elton beats you over the head with an umbrella, and Mr. Bean stands over you fretting but not really doing anything but being Mr. Bean.

I wish planes were banned and replaced by airships.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted, unfortunately the airships are made out of cotton candy, and they have a maximum load of 2.6 grams.

I wish I could make the audition for "Lion in Winter" in two weeks.

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:

Been reading the Thursday Next books?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Raventhief:
I wish I could make the audition for "Lion in Winter" in two weeks.

Granted. You still didn't get cast, however. And you overheard the director making some uncalled for and hurtful remarks about your audition performance, which led to you having a genuine crisis of confidence in yourself, which is making you so peevish and mopey that you got into a spat with your sweetheart, so instead of having a wonderfully romantic birthday celebration, you are home alone all evening moping.

I wish my favorite fattening foods were not so fattening.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AGNK
Member # 12248

- posted      Profile for AGNK           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I wish my favorite fattening foods were not so fattening.

Scientist in Brazil have found a way to remove fat from most products and replace it with something not hear as unhealthy, but keeping the taste identical. Human flesh. Have fun eating grandma!

I wish I had a Kindle.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
You have a Kindle, with fancy engraving and a beautiful shiny case inlaid with precious minerals. All of which makes you accessory to a theft with a value that comes in just above the petty larceny mark, as your state-sponsored attorney informs you.

I wish the next summer blockbuster wouldn't be devoid of intelligence in its script.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:

Been reading the Thursday Next books?
Can't say that I have, should I?
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. They're a ton of fun. And take place in an alternate universe where planes never really developed and travel is by airship. And gravity tunnels.
Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
The script for the next summer blockbuster will be so highly intelligent that you will not be able to understand it--in fact, no one will. But no one will want to admit that they are not bright enough to understand a summer blockbuster, thus ensuring its blockbuster status.

I wish the chiropractor could adjust my shoulder effectively without causing me any pain.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted! Unfortunately this process involves deadening all the nerves on one side of your body. You are now paralyzed on the left side.

I wish I didn't throw up every time I exercise without carboloading first. (stupid blood sugar grumble grumble)

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted, but you're still nauseated, and now you're sweaty and constipated as well.

I wish I had time to post here and read "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" before bedtime.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anonymous
Member # 486

- posted      Profile for anonymous           Edit/Delete Post 
Granted, but since hatrack is a notorious time-sink, you end up spending all of that time on hatrack anyway.

I wish I had the self-discipline to go to bed on time.

Posts: 54 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted! You go to bed precisely on time, and quickly slip into a deep, restful slumber. Unfortunately, your sleep is so deep that you fail to wake up to the crackle of flames from the electrical fire that started about 15 minutes after you dozed off.

I wish I had the self-discipline to go to bed on time.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
You do, but you sleep so soundly that you sleep through the knocking on your door by 15 hot cheerleaders wanting to come inside and snuggle in the bed with you.

I wish I had a better instinct about who is lying.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted. But just now it occurs to you why your significant other has been spending a lot of time "bowling" lately.

I wish I could stop this dang coughing.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

The new coughing which takes its place requires far harsher language to describe accurately.

I wish there was a good Chinese restaurant in town.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Sterling:
The new coughing which takes its place requires far harsher language to describe accurately.

I don't even need this thread for that. [Razz]

quote:
Originally posted by Sterling:
I wish there was a good Chinese restaurant in town.

Granted! It is, in fact, SO good that you cannot stop eating there. Morning, noon, and night, you can be found pounding back orange chicken, egg rolls, and broccoli beef . . . . until you develop a severe soy allergy. The doctor says even one bite more of Chinese food will kill you. Not to mention Thai. And have you checked out the soy content in most pre-packaged foods?

I wish my respiratory allergies would go away, permanently.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

Your respiratory allergies go away permanently. It's stage one of the complete collapse of your immune system.

I wish I were proficient at riding a unicycle.

Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted. You are now superbly skilled at riding your unicycle. Unfortunately soon after trying out your new skills for the first time, a freak accident (a stray meteor, in fact) causes the crank to fuse to the fork, rendering it unridable. You sustain no injuries beyond a bruised knee, but you soon discover that your new skills do not transfer in the slightest to other unicycles.

I wish this cold would go away in time for me to get a good night's sleep.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raventhief
Member # 9002

Granted! You get a good night's sleep. The night is May 3rd. 2014. Have fun until then!

And, hi Mike!

I wish I didn't randomly wake up at 4 in the morning on a semi-regular basis.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted. You now wake up at a quarter to four on a semi-regular basis.

I wish I knew what was in the Mysterious Box.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

- posted      Profile for Mr. Y   Email Mr. Y         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted. You are locked inside the Mysterious Box with no chance of getting out. On the plus side, you now have plenty of time to take an inventory of everything that is inside there with you.

I wish that there will be a small amount of mail tomorrow.

Posts: 1100 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

Granted. You will receive two envelopes in the mail tomorrow: one will be laced with anthrax and the other will be an IRS audit.

(Hi Eric!)

I wish for every thread on the front page of the forum to be a fluff thread.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Granted.

I wish I knew about "Flood Control" before I grated your wish

Edit: granted

[ January 09, 2010, 03:50 PM: Message edited by: Glenn Arnold ]

dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
(I was wondering if Raventhief was the Raventhief I knew) (Er Hi Eric!)
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anonymous
Member # 486

- posted      Profile for anonymous           Edit/Delete Post 
You have to make a wish, Glenn!
Posts: 54 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

(I did, now let's see if anyone can grant it)
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted. You jump back in time to a few seconds before you grant that wish but find you are a) helpless to change anything and b) now unable to control your random travel through time.

I wish Glenn would delete all those fluff threads.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

Granted: I just talked him into it, during one of his random travels into the present. Unfortunately in doing so, he inadvertently triggered a bug in the forum software that caused every even-numbered member's account to be deleted. Oops!

(Hi suneun! [Wave] )

I wish I were eating a strawberry shortcake with fresh organic strawberries.

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Granted, Except that since we haven't actually spoken yet, you discover that you are actually eating strawberry shortcake with fresh organic strawberries in an alternate future, in which you never talked me into anything.(Actually, Rabbit did, but it didn't take much talking)

I wish people could just take a joke.

ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted. Someone takes a joke book from the library and sets fire to it.

I wish that I could sleep for a solid 8 hours every night.

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

Granted. You can- but it requires a medication with numerous long lasting, unpleasant side effects that can't be taken within four hours of alcohol or chocolate and which the slightest overdose of can kill you.

I wish the prize I won would come in the mail already.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Granted. It came, but was delivered to the wrong address. Your neighbors enjoyed it, though. Not that they'd ever admit that to you.

I wish my feet didn't get so cold in the wintertime.

Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted. After the thresher accident, you never had to worry about your feet getting cold in wintertime again! Never had to worry about your legs getting cold, either!

Now if only your house had wheelchair access. It's getting pretty cold out here...

I wish my girlfriend would be home from her trip already!

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted, she's home but she's avoiding you because she met another guy and is trying to figure out how to dump you without making a scene.

I wish this headache would go away.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Granted! Your headache leaves, and settles just a little bit to the right of your stomach, becoming appendicitis.

I wish I had a Bengal kitten, and a German Shepherd puppy, and that they both got on just fine.

Sterling
Member # 8096

One day the German Shepherd knocks the legs out from under you shortly before the Bengal tiger drives its fangs into the back of your neck, and it occurs to you that sometimes "getting on just fine" is another word for "conspiring".

I wish the jam in the fridge hadn't gone moldy.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

Granted, rather than growing mold, it grew Clostridium botulinum, which landed you and the entire family in intensive care.

I wish I'd finished all my grading.

quote:
Granted! Your headache leaves, and settles just a little bit to the right of your stomach, becoming appendicitis.
Hah, I had my appendix out when I was 6 just to avoid that kind of problem. I win!!
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Granted - but you made a mistake entering the grades; every student received the wrong grade and the whole thing has escalated into an administative nightmare.

I sure wish I weren't allergic to apples.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
Hah, I had my appendix out when I was 6 just to avoid that kind of problem. I win!!

Which makes your appendicitis all the more freaky. This is the Monkey Paw we are talking about, you can't juke the Monkey paw.

那你的盲腸炎更多奇怪。  我們再關於談猴子手A 292; 你不能躲避猴子手。

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:
I sure wish I weren't allergic to apples.

You weren't! For about 5 minutes last Tuesday. Sadly, you completely missed that window and it will never come again.

I wish I had a job that paid more.

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Your new job pays a Canadian half penny more per year than did your previous job. Unfortuantely, the hours are longer, the benefits worse, and the work worlds more stressful than your old job. In addition, that extra half penny per year kicks you into a higher tax bracket, with the result that your actual income is reduced by a few thousand dollars per year.

I wish that the hand lotion container I keep at my desk at work were full. Of hand lotion.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raventhief
Member # 9002

Granted! Unfortunately, it's full because the night janitor stole the container and refilled it. And didn't return it.

I wish I were allowed to go to the gym in the morning during this free week trial thing.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Granted! Since you are no longer gainfully employed, nothing is stopping you. And the price fits your new budget, too!

I wish the crazy cat lady I share an office with wasn't such a pill.

Mr. Y
Member # 11590

- posted      Profile for Mr. Y   Email Mr. Y         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted! In stead of a pill, she is now a cloud of smoke that curiously stays in one place, refusing to dissipate. The milieu of your office is now hazardous to your physical health, where before only your mental health was at risk.

I wish that my piles (of old newspapers*) were gone.

*I deliberately left that description out. I apologize for being gross.

[ January 14, 2010, 03:06 AM: Message edited by: Mr. Y ]

Posts: 1100 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Not touching that one w/ a ten-foot pole.

Hmm, even that sounds bad.

This topic comprises 31 pages: 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28  29  30  31   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.