FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The movie quote game (Page 22)

This topic comprises 50 pages: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  ...  48  49  50   
Author Topic: The movie quote game
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, this is so sad, I was raised on musicals like Annie and Singin' in the Rain. And I practically have The Music Man memorized. I ought to know more of these.
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happymann
Member # 9559

- posted      Profile for happymann   Email happymann         Edit/Delete Post 
5) State Fair?
Posts: 258 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't feel too badly, JennaDean...most of the musicals on this list *aren't* "musicals like Annie and singin' in the rain" they're much more obscure.

Now *I* feel badly. clearly too difficult a list.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

I've updated the list with some clues! See if any of those help!
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it bad that I now watch movies with the intention of identifying quotable lines just for this game?
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
libertygirl
Member # 8761

- posted      Profile for libertygirl   Email libertygirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Bump.
(I miss this game!)

Posts: 143 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, since I got the most on Leonide's list, I'll run with one.

My rules: Search is allowed to verify (but be honest). Also, no more than 3 points/3 hours (just to decrease the advantage of seeing it first).

1) You get down there and find the big diamond, or you will never see that teddy again!
The Rescuers

2) Are you going to bring me that martini, or do I have to suck it out of the glass from here?
The Man Who Knew Too Little

3) Nothing human disgusts me, Mr. Shannon, unless it's unkind, violent.
Night of the Iguana

4) -He's a murderer, a hired killer. His nose was bit off in a fight.
-If I was gonna be scared, I'd be scared of the fella who bit it off, not him!
Cat Ballou

5) -Why a spoon, cousin? Why not an axe?
-Because it's DULL, you twit. It'll hurt more.
Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves

6) Open the gates and seize the day/Don't be afraid and don't delay
nothing can break us, no one can make us/give our rights away
Newsies

7) - Jim, didn't I teach you anything?
- Yes! You taught me that people will do anything for a potato.
Empire of the Sun

8) She's not knock-kneed, Nancy!
Summer Magic

9) Edwina's insides were a rocky place where my seed could find no purchase.
Raising Arizona

10) I mean, if I was ever going to buy a desk set... twice! I would probably buy this one, both times!
Dead Poets Society

11) Watch for the telltale signs of corruption! The minute your son leaves the house, does he rebuckle his knickerbockers below the knee? Is there a nicotine stain on his index finger? A dime-novel hidden in the corncrib? Is he starting to memorize jokes from Captain Billy's Whiz-Bang? Are certain words creeping into his conversation? Words like "swell" and "so's your old man"? If so my friends, ya got trouble!
Music Man

12) Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

13) -I, uh, have the honor, sir.
-And have had for many years, I do believe. All those years living only other men's lives. Dreaming only other men's dreams. What a waste.
-Sometimes a man can learn more form other men's dreams than he can from his own. Come visit me, sir, if you wish to improve your education.
-I will, and I may improve yours.
Something Wicked This Way Comes

14) She had to! She had to push you down to get you loose from the branch, she saved your life
Watcher in the Woods

15) -Water polo? Isn't that terribly dangerous?
-I'll say. I had two ponies drowned under me.
Some Like It Hot

16) -Hey, I remember you. Where you been?
-Bathroom.
-Six weeks?
-My zipper got stuck.
Summer School

17) He hates these cans. Stay away from the cans.
The Jerk

18) I'm sorry. I don't speak... *monkey*!
Lemony Snicket's: A Series of Unfortunate Events

19) I want the last face you see in this world to be the face of love, so you look at me when they do this thing. I'll be the face of love for you.
Dead Man Walking

20) Give her the right look, the right boyfriend, and bam. In six weeks she's being named prom queen.
She's All That

21) So the combination is one, two, three, four, five? That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! The kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!
Spaceballs!

----
katharina: 4
Megan: 3
Nighthawk: 3
CaySedai: 2
Dan Raven: 2
Sean: 1
vonk: 1
Leonide: 1
Seatarsprayan: 1
Morbo: 1

[ September 29, 2006, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: SenojRetep ]

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
1) The Rescuers
5) Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves
9) Raising Arizona

I recognize 21, too, but I'm coming up blank.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
5) Robin Hood, The Prince of Thieves
6) Newsies
9) Raising Arizona
10) Dead Poet's Society

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahem, the rules read 3 points/3 hrs.

Megan gets 1,5,9
kaharina gets 6,10

I will not comment on the other guesses.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Heh. Didn't read the rules. Oops. I'll edit. [Big Grin]

Where are those rules listed, btw? Cause they don't seem to be on the first page.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

Around page 15 we decided rules could vary with each list. So my rules for this list are written at the beginning of my post. Other lists might vary on the rules.
Sean
Member # 689

- posted      Profile for Sean   Email Sean         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe the one I get is She's All That (20).
Posts: 148 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
11: The Music Man
18: A Series of Unfortunate Events
20: She's All That

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

11) The Music Man
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Could 11) be The Music Man? (right before the 'Trouble' song?)
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Heh. Alright. *shrug*
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooops.

That was a triple response and I got it last. Nm!

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
21)Space Balls
20)She's All That [edit: I think they said that in Not Another Teen Movie too, but I'm not sure]

Edit2: durnit, CaySedai beat me to it.
Edit3: Never mind, it was Sean. [Wall Bash]

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

17) The Jerk
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
The only ones I knew where Spaceballs and Robin Hood, but there are some funny quotes on there.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seatarsprayan
Member # 7634

- posted      Profile for Seatarsprayan   Email Seatarsprayan         Edit/Delete Post 
#2 The Man Who Knew Too Little
Posts: 454 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

Hints (because the rest are somewhat obscure):

3) Written by a famous Southern US playwright, starring a famous married couple (although I don't know if they were married at the time of filming).

4) Lee Marvin plays the no-nosed murderer (as well as the gunslinger that eventually gets him).

7) The young actor who plays Jim also stars in another movie on this list.

8) Another Hayley Mills movie; I've gotta put one on each list!

12) He's threatening his wife's loser brother-in-law.

13) Jason Robards in a movie that freaked me out as a kid

14) Bette Davis in another movie that freaked me out as a kid: Narek!

15) Tony Curtis pretending to be a wealthy playboy in order to impress Marilyn Monroe

16) Mark Harmon. How many movies has that guy been in?

19) Before the Green Mile, there was...

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
#2 The Thin Man
#15 Monkey Business

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

Dan-

#2: possibly, Nick Charles sure did like martinis, but I was thinking of The Man Who Knew Too Little
#15: no.

katharina
Member # 827

3) Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

kat-

Right playwright, wrong film (and I'm pretty sure Paul Newman was never married to Liz Taylor)

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Let me change #15 to "Some Like It Hot"
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't realize this thread was back. Damn!

#12) Christmas Vacation
#16) Summer School
#19) Dead Man Walking (hints helped...)

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

The game seems to have cooled down a bit, but it's still a tight competition. Here's a second round of hints:

3) A large lizard features minimally in the plot, but significantly in the title.

4) Jane Fonda stars in this comedic western.

7) The young star in this quote is Christian Bale; the other actor is John Malkovich.

8) Burl Ives stars and sings in this seasonal Disney movie set in Buelah, Maine.

13) Based on a Ray Bradbury novel, titled from a quote from Macbeth.

14) If "Narek" didn't give it away, I don't know what will. What did all you kids watch on Halloween, anyway? This is classic kids freak-out faire.

katharina
Member # 827

7) Empire of the Sun
13) Something Wicked This Way Comes

Nighthawk
Member # 4176

That was Christian Bale in Empire of the Sun?!? God, it's been a while since I've seen that...
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
That was Christian Bale in Empire of the Sun?!? God, it's been a while since I've seen that...

He should have said "Yes you taught me how to be BATMAN!"
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

quote:

You should check it out. He was also in Newsies (to tie in with my first hint).
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

I've seen the movie, but never made the connection. And I've never seen Newsies, or at least I don't think I have.
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

quote:
And I've never seen Newsies

Looking through the quotes I thought to myself, "I should watch this again." It's a pretty fun little movie that (unfortunately) didn't make much of a splash. Although I did see it as a pre-teen, so I might like it significantly less if I were to watch it now.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

3) Night of the Iguanna
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, leave me the dregs. . .

4)Cat Ballou
14) What ever happened to Baby Jane?

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

I updated my list on page 21, in case anyone wanted to know the answers [Smile]
Morbo
Member # 5309

Sorry, Leonide, I tried with your list while posting my last 2 guesses, I just haven't seen many musicals. The only one I could have (should have) gotten was Rope.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

Well, I'm going to call the game and give the win to kat. I don't think any more clues are going to help with the last two movies.

Tag, kat, you're it.

katharina
Member # 827

Okay. [Smile] I'll post something by lunchtime. [Smile] [Smile]
Megan
Member # 5290

Honestly, I don't have time right now to come back every three hours to add to my guesses. I either guess all at once, or I don't play. [Big Grin] I'll continue watching the thread, though, and if we have a "guess all at once round," then I'll play.
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

Sorry Megan. Hope there are no hard feelings, 'cause I know you would have won if I'd counted all five of your original points. I just got tired of those rounds where someone would hit 7-9 right off the bat and nobody else would have a chance. I thought I'd like to reward persistence a little more and the luck of seeing it first a little less this time.
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
I'll post something by lunchtime.

Was that lunchtime in Australia? [Wink]
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

Great. Now I'm going to miss it. Again.

You don't really need lunch every day, right? It can wait 'til tomorrow, no?

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
She better post in the next hour and a half, or I am missing yet another round!
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seatarsprayan
Member # 7634

- posted      Profile for Seatarsprayan   Email Seatarsprayan         Edit/Delete Post 
bump for katharina.
Posts: 454 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

Having one hell of a four day lunch, eh? [Wink]
Morbo
Member # 5309

burp for katharina
  This topic comprises 50 pages: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  ...  48  49  50   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.