FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The movie quote game (Page 37)

This topic comprises 50 pages: 1  2  3  ...  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  ...  48  49  50   
Author Topic: The movie quote game
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
10) Cool Hand Luke
11) Rear Window
20)Ghostbusters

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
17) Ferris Bueller's Day Off
18) L.A. Confidential

Beat me to 8 and 20.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Criminey that was a great set of quotes, wish I'd seen the thread sooner.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Morbo - 6
Nighthawk - 5
Philosofickle - 3
theCrowsWife - 1
Lyrhawn - 1

Clues on remaining movies:
3) Bugs Bunny's fast talking personality was partially based on the male lead in this film, particularly a scene when he leans against a fence and eats a carrot.
9) This film made in 1962 was first released theatrically in 1987 (the studio initially didn't release it due to subject matter sensitivity, and then the actor who owned the rights to the film refused to give permission to have it released until he was paid an outstanding portion of the original profits).
13) Based on a novel by John Steinbeck
19) This line is spoken by Al of Al's Toy Barn fame (he does his own commericials, in a chicken suit even).

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
13) Grapes of Wrath? I know the line isn't from Of Mice and Men.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
landybraine
Member # 10807

- posted      Profile for landybraine   Email landybraine         Edit/Delete Post 
19) Toy Story 2

This is probably the only one I will ever get. My ability to remember movie quotes is nonexistant. Plus, the clue was very telling. Especially for a mom of a six year old.

Posts: 99 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

3) It happened one night
wild guess

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
9. Manchurian Candidate
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Good guess, Morbo.

Well, that seals the deal for you (sorry Nighthawk).

The final quote was from The Manchurian Candidate (the original, not the remade abomination). If you haven't seen it, check it out. Great stuff.
<edit>Whoah! Dr.S getting it in under the wire. Good job.</edit>
___
Final scores:
Morbo - 7
Nighthawk - 5
Philosofickle - 3
theCrowsWife - 2
Lyrhawn - 1
landybraine - 1
Dr.S - 1

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Hoo wah! What a lucky guess. I haven't seen the whole film, but it seemed to fit the quote and hint: pre-dates Bugs, a man and woman on the road hitching, Clark Gable is a fast talker etc.

I thought Manchurian Candidate because of the talk of assassins, but the hint threw me off as I had no idea it's release was delayed so long.

I'm working on a list, it might be ready tonight if I try hard.

What's the best time to post a list? Tomorrow I'll be gone all day until 4-6 PM. If I finish it tonight, I could post it tonight or at 5am before I leave for work.

Nighthawk
Member # 4176

Post it NOW while I'm online!
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

Hello? Hello, Morbo? Is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me. Or post your list. Or whatever.
Morbo
Member # 5309

I have 10 quotes ready, the other 10 or so I won't be able to do until Wednesday. I could post the first half?
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Fire away!
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

A belated happy birthday, SenojRetep! [Smile]
And thanks for reviving this thread, it's fun although very frustrating. So often I almost know where the quote is from, but can't quite get it.

Regular rules (3 guesses/3 hours, no googling)

1) Fiery the angels fell; deep thunder rolled around their shores; burning with the fires of Orc.
Blade Runner--Nighthawk

2) Now, get this, you double-crossing chimpanzee: There ain't going to be any interview and there ain't going to be any story. And that certified check of yours is leaving with me in twenty minutes. I wouldn't cover the burning of Rome for you if they were just lighting it up. If I ever lay my two eyes on you again, I'm gonna walk right up to you and hammer on that monkeyed skull of yours 'til it rings like a Chinese gong!
His Girl Friday--SenojRetep

3) Bloody paperwork. Huh!
--I suppose one has to expect a certain amount.
Why? I came into this game for the action, the excitement. Go anywhere, travel light, get in, get out, wherever there's trouble, a man alone. Now they got the whole country sectioned off, you can't make a move without a form.
Brazil--Nighthawk

4) I haven't seen you in twenty years. You look good. The picture the police have of you doesn't do you justice.
-- What do the police know about justice?
Children of Men. ---Strider

5) Are you sure we should be driving like this, I mean in broad daylight and everything?
-- No we shouldn't, but I want to put some distance between us and the scene of our last goddamn crime.
Thelma and Louise--Nighthawk

6) So tell me Curly, how do you know Miss Cross?
-- We went to Harvard together.
--Oh that's great. I wrote a hit play and directed it, so I'm not sweating it either.
Rushmore--Mel

7) No, let me go! I've got tides to regulate! Comets to direct! I don't have time for flatulence and orgasms!
The Adventures of Baron Munchausen--Leonide

8) A memorial service was held at the Mar Vista Inn today for Jasper Lamar Crabb. He passed away two weeks ago.
-- Why is that unusual?
--He passed away two weeks ago and one week ago he bought the land. That's unusual.
Chinatown--Carrie

9) My husband was a movie freak. Actually, he was particularly obsessed with one movie, "The Wizard of Oz." He talked about it constantly. I thought it was cute at first. On our wedding night, I was a virgin. When we made love - you've seen the movie, haven't you?
-- "The Wizard of Oz"? Yeah.
--Well, whenever he - you know, when he came...
-- Yeah.
--...he would scream out, "Surrender Dorothy!" That's all! Just "Surrender Dorothy!"
-- Wow.
--Instead of saying something normal like, "Oh, God," or something normal like that. I mean, it was pretty creepy! And I told him I thought so, but he just, he just couldn't stop, he just, he just couldn't stop, he just... couldn't stop.
After Hours--Javert

10) Well hell, ain't it square one! Ain't nobody gonna pick up three filthy, unshaved hitch-hikers, and one of them a know-it-all that can't keep his trap shut.
---____, the personal rancor reflected in that remark I don't intend to dignify with comment. But I would like to address your general attitude of hopeless negativism. Consider the lilies of the goddamn field or... hell! Take at look at "Blank" here as your paradigm of hope.
--"Blank" Yeah, look at me.
O Brother, Where Art Thou--Leonide

Score:
Nighthawk 3
Leonide 2
The Crow's Wife 1
Javert 1
Strider 1
SenojRetep 1

[ December 16, 2007, 09:16 AM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
10. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

the only one I even had a guess on...

Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

No, Pegasus, incorrect. Although it does fit, doesn't it?

Most of these first 10 films are pre-2000. I'll try to be more contemporary in the second 10.

Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
4. Children of Men.

post-2000. go figure. [Smile]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Strider, you are correct.

And I have to crash... [Sleep]

Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
7) Is it Baron Munchausen?
10) O Brother, Where Art Thou

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

1) Blade Runner
3) Brazil

Don't have time to think of more. Gotta go to work.

theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
6) Rushmore

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

2) His Girl Friday

Beaten to Rushmore and Baron Munchausen!

Nighthawk
Member # 4176

5) Thelma and Louise ? Wild guess there...

Otherwise, I'm done.

Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
9) After Hours? Maybe?
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Just updated the list. All are now guessed except for 8.

Good job everyone! Especially Nighthawk. Blade Runner is my favorite film and I wouldn't have guessed it from the quote.

Morbo
Member # 5309

So I'm fixin' to work on the last 10. Should be ready later today.
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

quote:
Originally posted by Morbo:
Just updated the list. All are now guessed except for 8.

Good job everyone! Especially Nighthawk. Blade Runner is my favorite film and I wouldn't have guessed it from the quote.

Thanks, one my favorites too, and I especially like Rutger Hauer in general. And you just had to pick Brazil, too, which I've mentioned several times to be in my top 10. [Smile]

Go ahead and make another list. I don't have the time anymore to make any!

Morbo
Member # 5309

Nighthawk, Leonide, and Carrie win! [Big Grin]

Nighthawk, it's a two-parter.
Here's 11-20. Finally. And 8, with an additional quote.

8) A memorial service was held at the Mar Vista Inn today for Jasper Lamar Crabb. He passed away two weeks ago.
-- Why is that unusual?
--He passed away two weeks ago and one week ago he bought the land. That's unusual.
2nd quote:Course I’m respectable. I’m old. Politicians, public buildings, and whores all get respectable if they last long enough.
Chinatown--Carrie

11) I tell him about destiny; he's shaking his head. About dreamgirls; he doesn't care. I mention the underwear thing? He has a *freaking conniption*. And you? How 'bout it, filmgoer? Have you solved the case of the - the dead people in L.A.? Times Square audiences, please don't shout at the screen, and stop picking at that, it'll just get worse.
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang--Leonide

12)[On speaker phone, an investor has just told the title character that he has to flee the country]
Wait a second. They ripped off my film, my boat's broken, you're ditching me down the river... what am I supposed to do?
--Well, I must say, nothing's leaping to mind. Phillip, any ideas?
[pause]
No, he's shaking his head.
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou--The Crow's Wife

13) Honey, don't give me that "all for one" shit. I got to deal with being a minority in a minority of a minority, and nobody supports my ass.
Chasing Amy--TheGrimace

14) Take whatever advice that she gives you with a big grain of salt.
-- Yeah and take anything that he gives you with a shot of penicillin.
Waiting. . .--vonk

15) I didn't ask for a shrink - that must've been somebody else. Also, that pudding isn't mine. Also, I'm wearing this suit today because I had a very important meeting this morning and I don't have a crying problem.
Punch-Drunk Love--Carrie

16) Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt. That's the first thing they teach you.
-- Who taught you?
-- I don't remember. That's the second thing they teach you.
Ronin--TheGrimace

17)Honey, how are you doing?
--- Oh great, considering I desecrated your Grandma's remains, found out you were engaged, and had your Father ask me to milk him.
17) Meet the Parents--vonk

18) Why if I had half a chance, I could make an entire movie using this stock footage. The story opens on these mysterious explosions. Nobody knows what's causing them, but it's upsetting all the buffalo. So, the military are called in to solve the mystery.
-- You forgot the octopus.
-- No, no, I'm saving that for my big underwater climax.
Ed Wood--Eduardo St. Elmo

19) Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long Holly.
The Third Man--SenojRetep

20) I looked at the clock... because I was saying to myself... It's five to seven, where could he be going with that sawed off shotgun?
A Fish Called Wanda--Eduardo St. Elmo

Overall score: Nighthawk, Leonide, and Carrie win.
Nighthawk 3
Leonide 3
Carrie 3
The Crow's Wife 2
TheGrimace 2
Eduardo St. Elmo 2
vonk 2
SenojRetep 1
Javert 1
Strider 1

The score at halftime:
Nighthawk 3
Leonide 2
The Crow's Wife 1
Javert 1
Strider 1
SenojRetep 1

[ December 16, 2007, 09:41 AM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
17) meet the parents
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Correct vonk. I should have picked a quote without milking... [Smile]
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

Holy crap. I'm thoroughly stumped now.
Pegasus
Member # 10464

18. King Kong (Peter Jackson film)
Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

No, sorry Pegasus. [Frown]
Pegasus
Member # 10464

[Confused]

Maybe I should stop guessing.

[Razz]

TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
13) Chasing Amy
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Correct, TheGrimace.
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
18) Ed Wood
Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Correct, Eduardo. You know your eponymous brother. [Razz]
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

12) The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

--Mel

Morbo
Member # 5309

Correct, Mel.
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

I know my Wes Anderson movies.

--Mel

TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
16) Ronin
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Correct, The Grimace.
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

Hints, Morbo? Not that I think it'll help me; I'm pretty sure I've never seen anything left on the list. But it might help finish off the round.
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
20) A Fish Called Wanda
Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Hints are forthcoming shortly.
Correct, Eduardo. That was a tough quote, Wanda is so quotable but many quotes would have been readily recognized.

Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
19) Breakfast at Tiffany's
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Hints

8) Made in the 70s.Set in LA. The director fled warrants in the US and remains exiled to this day. All three lines are by academy award winners.

11) This film came out 2 years ago. It features a gay detective.

14) The line is spoken by Anna Faris of Scary Movie fame. The film has some gross scenes of food being mishandled.

15) The line is spoken by a former Saturday Night Live star who went on to great success in films. Pudding is a major plot point.

19) Set in post-WWII Vienna, the film is over 50 years old. The line is by a character played by a man who directed and played the title character in what many critics claim is the best movie of all time. However, he didn't direct the film quoted from.

[ September 28, 2007, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Morbo
Member # 5309

Incorrect, Javert.
  This topic comprises 50 pages: 1  2  3  ...  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  ...  48  49  50   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.