FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The movie quote game (Page 23)

This topic comprises 50 pages: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  ...  48  49  50   
Author Topic: The movie quote game
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
[guilt on]
quote:
I'm horribly sick this weekend, so I have only been listening to it over the internet, courtesy of my darling roommates.

That's from Katharina in the General Assembly thread. Don't you all feel great for being mean with her for not posting in this silly game?
[/guilt off]

Nyah Nyah.

Kath, get better.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely no excuse for not continuing this thread with a new set of movie quotes. If President Hinckley can speak at conference while he is sick (and he has) Katharina can summon the energy to type a few key strokes for OUR benefit! GEEZ!

[Wink]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seatarsprayan
Member # 7634

- posted      Profile for Seatarsprayan   Email Seatarsprayan         Edit/Delete Post 
Bump.
Posts: 454 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
AAA!!

I forgot. I'm sorry. I'll blame the cold medicine.

Give me an hour. [Smile]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Shoot! Now I'm gonna be on my lunch break when the list posts and all the good ones will be taken. Drat!
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Here's the list. Rules for this round: Only three quotes per three hours, to take away some of the early advantage. [Smile] The movies cross all time spans, continents, and genres.

Change in rules: Since this is apparently a tough list, googling to confirm is fine, but not to discover in the first place. On your honor, all that. [Smile] If it gets really hard, I'll post other quotes from the same movies as hints.

Ladies and gentlemen, start your engines.

1. There are things you do hate, Lord. Perfume-smellin' things, lacy things, things with curly hair. Night of the Hunter

2. You have a point. An idiotic one, but a point.
----
Bill's thirty-two. He looks thirty-two. He looked it five years ago, he'll look it twenty years from now. I hate men.

3. I made him, I built him. And no Boy Scout is going to come in here and take it away from me, just because he happens to be Vice President of the United States. Dave

4. Just because I wear a uniform doesn't make me a girl scout.
---
Ya know, you see a girl a couple of times a week, just for laughs, and right away they think you're gonna divorce your wife. Now I ask you, is that fair?

5. Wow, what a speech! Half Moses, half Mickey Mouse.

6. To look at a thing is quite different from seeing a thing, and one does not see anything until one sees its beauty.
----
My dear father, if we men married the women we deserved... we should have a very bad time of it.

7. I'm sorry that us models made you feel bad about yourself and throw up.
---
Wait a minute. I might just have an idea. They'll be looking for us at Maury's right? But they won't be looking for... not us. Zoolander

8. I don't like crooks. And if I did like 'em, I wouldn't like crooks that are stool pigeons. And if I did like crooks that are stool pigeons, I still wouldn't like you.

9. And when I shall die, take him and cut him up in little stars, and he will make the face of heaven so fine that all the world will fall in love with night and pay no worship to the garish sun. Romeo and Juliet

10. Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don't shoot their husbands, they just don't.
---
She could use some mascara and some serious highlights, but she's not completely unfortunate looking. Legally Blonde

11. Everything you have seen here has been an illusion. The Illusionist
I just threw this quote in because I thought it was funny. And because I want people to go and see this movie - it was wonderful.

12. I don't feel I have to wipe everybody out, Tom. Just my enemies. The Godfather II

13. This is the Voice of Doom calling. Your days are numbered, to the seventh son of the seventh son.
-----
Oh, that's the first sane remark I've heard today. C'malong, Dexter, I know a formula that's said to pop the pennies off the eyelids of dead Irishmen. The Philadelphia Story

14. You know the problem with being smart? You always know what will happen next. It ruins the suspense.

15. Just another piece of crap movie in which the two protagonists finally confess their feelings for each other in an ending scene outside during a thunderstorm. Why is it that people in movies like to stand around and talk in the rain?
-----
He's hearing the voice of God through a crossword puzzle! Lady in the Water

16. Look man, I'm telling you right off the bat I'm high maintenance. So I'm not gonna tip-toe around your marriage or whatever it is ya got goin' on there. If you wanna be with me, you're with me.

17. I'm going to be a great film star! That is, if booze and sex don't get me first.

18. Deliberate cruelty is unforgivable, and the one thing of which I have never,ever been guilty of. A Streetcar Named Desire
I love this quote, because the subtext is that she has been guilty of many, many other things. But, not deliberate cruelty. No matter what else she's done, in her eyes that sets her apart as a lady from the beast in front of her. It's so poignant.

19. Every civilization finds it necessary to negotiate compromises of its own values. Munich

20. Just because you own half the town doesn't mean that you have the power to run the rest of us. For twenty-three years I've been dying to tell you what I thought of you! And now... well, being a Christian woman, I can't say it! The Wizard of Oz

Nighthawk: 1
SenojRetep: 4
Luet: 3
Raia: 1
Dr. S: 3

[ October 04, 2006, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Off the cuff, I think #12 is The Godfather. I need to think about the rest.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
#1: Night of the Hunter

Tough list. There are a couple more that are familiar, but I can't get them right now.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
#20: Wizard of Oz
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Aw, is this hard. I'll add more quotes from the same movies to each number. [Smile]
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

#7: Zoolander
#15: Eternal Sunshine?

Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
3. Dave
9. Romeo and Juliet
13. The Philadelphia Story (My favorite movie ever!)

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

Kat-

I deleted my post because it overtaxed the 3/3hr rule.

Sorry.

katharina
Member # 827

Aw, it's up now. I think this list is hard enough that the winner won't be the person who saw it first anyway. [Smile]
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Man all the ones I knew have already been taken! And its not as if many have been taken in the first place!

I need to watch more movies.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
10. Legally Blonde
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
11: A Mid Summer's Night Dream.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Okay, time for hints.

4. Tennis racket in the kitchen, because there's spaghetti for dinner tonight.

5. The movie is French and in French. The quote is a translation. Great movie.

14. Turn around...every now and then I get a little bit lonely and you're never coming 'round...Turn around...every now and then I get a little tired of listening to the sound of my tears...

17. The star won an Oscar for this for the only good movie role of her entire film career.

18. "I've always been dependant on the kindness of strangers."

19. Said by Gilda Meier.

Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
18 is A Streetcar Named Desire
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
11: The Illusionist(?) Just a wild guess.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

19: Munich

Edit for superflousity (new word!): I just now read the rules [Razz]

Raia
Member # 4700

17) Erin Brockovitch? [Razz]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

*laugh*
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
14. Turn around...every now and then I get a little bit lonely and you're never coming 'round...Turn around...every now and then I get a little tired of listening to the sound of my tears...
Great. Thanks a lot. That song gets stuck in my head for weeks, sometimes months, at a time. And now it is firmly lodged in there.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
joining vonk in earworm misery...
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

So now my three hours are up I'm going to guess (again) that #16 is Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind?
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

[Grumble] 20 minutes until I get to guess again.
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

#14: Bandits
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

#6: An Ideal Husband (don't ask how I know that).

Took me a while, but #8 "The Thin Man". Seriously old movie there.

And I haven't the foggiest idea on any of the other ones.

SenojRetep
Member # 8614

#2: Sleepless in Seattle?
MattB
Member # 1116

- posted      Profile for MattB   Email MattB         Edit/Delete Post 
Katie is again home with the consumption, so she asked me to supervise.

Dr S is right on his two; as are SR's last two guesses yesterday. That leaves us with #2, #4, #5, and #17 unguessed.

The score:
Nighthawk: 1
SenojRetep: 6
Dr. S: 5

Posts: 794 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I borrowed my roommate's computer for just a moment.

More hints:
#2: "Fasten your seat belts; it's going to be a bumpy night."

#4: Billy Wilder and Shirley McLaine

#5: I don't know how to give hints for this. Um...the title is a strong emotion, and the movie is black and white.

#17: Life is a...

Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
#2: All About Eve (thanks for the hint)

Damn, I can picture #4, but I don't remember the name.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

I asked a friend for #4 ... is that allowed?
katharina
Member # 827

Nighthawk: 2

Hmm...if you didn't know it yourself, I don't asking friends counts. More hints, I think.

#4: "Night like this, it sorta spooks you, walking into an empty apartment. "
"I said I had no family; I didn't say I had an empty apartment."

#5: Jeez, still can't think of a good hint. How about a plot summary: After a riot in the slums of Paris, a policeman loses his gun (Ha! This part is hilarious to Americans - that that would be a plot point.) The story follows three young men on the prowl, and the tension comes from where the gun may be and how it will be used once it is found. It explores racial tensions, power disparities, and the struggle to leave that behind in search of a safe life, and what loyalty means. Really great movie. Awful language, though, and since it's subtitled it seems even worse.

#17: Best Picture in 1972, beating The Godfather

Raia
Member # 4700

Oh OH!! Life is a cabaret!

17) Cabaret!

Sean
Member # 689

- posted      Profile for Sean   Email Sean         Edit/Delete Post 
Godfather won best picture, but got less awards.
Posts: 148 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Yep. [Smile] [Smile]

Nighthawk: 2
Raia: 2

#4: Won Best Picture in 1960, and was the last black and white movie to win best picture until Schindler's List

"You hear what I said, Miss Kubelik? I absolutely adore you."
"Shut up and deal."

#5: Oh, no one is going to get this. It's La Haine (Hate).

----
Dang it, you're right. Godfather won Best Picture, Actor (BRANDO!!), and screenplay, but Cabaret won everything else.

Raia
Member # 4700

Haha, my first thought was "Life is a box of chocolates," but I KNEW that line wasn't from Forrest Gump... [Razz]

Then it hit me!

libertygirl
Member # 8761

- posted      Profile for libertygirl   Email libertygirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Bump
Posts: 143 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

I concede, and I think I'm the only one able to catch SenojRetep, so I guess you should start compiling your list, Senoj.
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

Sorry for the delay.

Rules for the round: 3 pts/1 hour (waiting three hours almost killed me the other day), asking friends is fine, you can use the internet to verify, but remember, this is for posterity, so please, be honest.

1) -What's wrong with your face?
-I have AIDS.
Philadelphia

2) -Went away? "I dwell in darkness without you," and it "went away"?
- Yeah.
Willow

3) -Now, ask what the Great Conjunction is, what's the Great Conjunction?
-What's the Great Conjunction? You tell me!
- THE GREAT CONJUNCTION IS THE END OF THE WORLD! Or the beginning. Hm!
The Dark Crystal

4) "Doctor, question that's always bothered me and a lot of people: Mayflower, combined with Philadelphia - a no-brainer, right? Cause this is where the Mayflower landed. Not so. It turns out Columbus actually set foot somewhere down in the West Indies. Little known fact."
Best in Show

5) "Oh, wouldn't it be great if I *was* crazy? Then the world would be okay."
12 Monkeys

6) "Impudent piece of crockery."
Sword in the Stone

7) "Ahoy, and other nautical expressions!"
Alice in Wonderland

8) "When she was born, that's when things went wrong for us."
Whale Rider

9) -Oh, no... it's just I thought you had hidden depths.
- No, no, you've always had that wrong about me. I really am this shallow.
About a Boy

10) "You broke your little ships."
Star Trek: First Contact

11) "Do you see any Teletubbies in here? Do you see a slender plastic tag clipped to my shirt with my name printed on it? Do you see a little Asian child with a blank expression on his face sitting outside on a mechanical helicopter that shakes when you put quarters in it? No? Well, that's what you see at a toy store. And you must think you're in a toy store, because you're here shopping for an infant named Jeb."
Unbreakable

12) "Sometimes it's a good day to die, and sometimes it's a good day to have breakfast."
Smoke Signals

13) -So tell me again why I can't call him on his cell again?
-Besides that he turned it off?
-Yeah.
-Forty messages starts to look needy.
Spanglish

14) Somebody help me, I'm being spontaneous!
The Truman Show

15) -She's in love with Chopin.
- The Polish corpse?
Impromtu

16) -What's the last thing that you do remember?
- My wife...
- That's sweet.
- ...dying.
Memento

17) "You're gonna need a bigger boat."
Jaws

18) "Buckle your seatbelt, Dorothy, 'cause Kansas is going bye-bye."
The Matrix

19) -I used to admire your poetry.
- Thank you.
- I shouldn't admire it now. I should find it absurdly personal. Don't you agree? Feelings, insights, affections... it's suddenly trivial now.
Dr. Zhivago

20) "Something has to be done, but nothing too original, because hey, this is Hollywood."
LA Confidential

21) "Look, I made a hat where there never was a hat."
Sunday in the Park with George

22) [displayed on a street banner] "There is still time, brother"
On the Beach

----
Javert: 3
katharina: 3
Dr. Strangelove: 3
Leonide: 2
Lyrhawn: 1
TheGrimace: 1 (plus the Princess Bride reference, which receives props but no points)
Narnia: 1
Princess Leah: 1
Dan_Raven: 1
jehovoid: 1
Sean: 1

[ October 13, 2006, 08:08 PM: Message edited by: SenojRetep ]

Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
10: Star Trek First Contact

18: The Matrix

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooo...11: Unbreakable?
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

2. Willow
9. About a Boy

katharina
Member # 827

17. Jaws
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
6. Sword in the Stone (I LOVE this movie).
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
16) Memento
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Man this is unreal! All the movies I knew have been taken already. This much change.
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
13 - spanglish

and just for fun (not expecting points) Princess bride for the quote/reference in the instructions

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 50 pages: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  ...  48  49  50   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.