FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The movie quote game (Page 21)

This topic comprises 50 pages: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  ...  48  49  50   
Author Topic: The movie quote game
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, go ahead. I don't have the time. I think it's a tie anyway, but I don't have the time to deal with it.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
All right, a new list.

Quick things to try to help the game continue on. If I don't update who is in the lead within a day of the last guesses, the person who is currently in the lead is allowed to take control without my updating.

I've tried to make the quotes a variety of movies in both genre and their age. Also some quotes are meant to be harder than others, but we'll see how it turns out. So have at it.

1. “You know what the difference between you and a rich man is? A rich man has money, and you don’t. Now if you were smart you’d ask yourself why.” Rubin and Ed (No answer)

2. “I am the only free man on this train, and the rest of you are cattle!” Dr Zhivago (Boris)

3. “To feel. 'Cause you've never done it, you can never know it. But it's as vital as breath. And without it, without love, without anger, without sorrow, breath is just a clock... ticking.” -- Equillibrium (Dr Strangelove)

4. “Imagine if you suddenly learned that the people, the places, the moments most important to you were not gone, not dead, but worse, had never been. What kind of hell would that be?” A Beautiful Mind (libertygirl)

5. “I always wanted a son, but I wanted one a little younger than myself.” -- Fiddler on the Roof (Leonide)

6. “Thanks for the couch. Um... Mike made me sleep under the sink.” Benny and Joon (Boris)

7. “Those giraffes you sold me, they won't mate. They just walk around, eating, and not mating. You sold me... queer giraffes. I want my money back.” Gladiator(Dr Strangelove)

8. “Mr. President, this is an election year. If you're looking for female companionship, we can make certain arrangements that will ensure total privacy.“
”I don't want you to get me a girl, A.J.! What is this, Vegas? “
”No sir, this is the White House.” -- The American President (Leonide)

9. “You are such a good boy. You sleep now. Dream sweet dreams. Maybe we are both dreaming. Maybe this is all a dream, and in the morning, Mommy will wake us up with milk and cookies. Then, after we eat, I will make love to her four or five times. If I can.” -- Life is Beautiful(Leonide)

10. ”No, this is Mount Everest. You should flip on the Discovery Channel from time to time. But I guess you can't now, being dead and all.”
”I'm dead?“
”Naw, I'm just messing with ya.”
”That's not funny, Man! That is not funny.” -- Bruce Almighty (Lyrhawn)

11. “No thinking - that comes later. You must write your first draft with your heart. You rewrite with your head. The first key to writing is... to write, not to think!” -- Finding Forrester (cmc)

12. “And what is it that I am meant to have wrote?... Written… <scoffs>” -- Phantom of the Opera (Leonide)

13. “What do you want me to do, dress in drag and do the hula?” -- The Lion King (libertygirl)

14. “See children? Everything in this room is eatable. Even I'm eatable! But that my dear children. is called cannibalism; and that is frowned upon in most societies” -- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (libertygirl)

15. “I heard the music of true forgiveness filling the theater, conferring on all who sat there, perfect absolution. God was singing through this little man to all the world, unstoppable, making my defeat more bitter with every passing bar.” -- Amadeus (Leonide)

16. “What difference does it make where you buy underwear? What difference does it make? Underwear is underwear! It is underwear wherever you buy it! In Cincinnati or wherever!” Rain Man (JennaDean)

17. “If I die, I will die well dressed!” -- The Patriot(Lyrhawn)

18. “I wonder if they’re the miners.”
“Yeah, they do look like little kids.”
“Miners not minors!”
“… You’ve lost me.” Galaxy Quest Dr Strangelove

19. “We got the wrong play, the wrong director, the wrong cast. Where did we go right?” -- The Producers (Leonide)

20. “Ah, how shall I do it? Oh, I know. I'll turn him into a flea, a harmless, little flea, and then I'll put that flea in a box, and then I'll put that box inside of another box, and then I'll mail that box to myself, and when it arrives I’ll smash it with a hammer!” -- The Emperor's New Groove (Jeesh)

EDIT: And to try to keep competition, shall we say you may guess three at a time/per hour?

Rankings
Leonide - 6
libertygirl - 3
Dr Strangelove - 3
Lyrhawn - 2
Boris - 2
cmc - 1
Jeesh - 1
JennaDean - 1

GAME SET - Leonide

[ September 04, 2006, 02:02 AM: Message edited by: Vadon ]

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
8. American President
11. Little Women
12. Phantom of the Opera

edit: aww, come on. this is like the first list i could actually win!! if i'm limited to three someone else will get the ones i know!! [Frown]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
libertygirl
Member # 8761

- posted      Profile for libertygirl   Email libertygirl         Edit/Delete Post 
14. Charlie and the Chocolate factory
Posts: 143 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
libertygirl
Member # 8761

- posted      Profile for libertygirl   Email libertygirl         Edit/Delete Post 
4. A Beautiful Mind?
13. Lion King?

Posts: 143 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

Leonide-- Yes on 8 and 12, no on 11.

Libertygirl -- Yes on all.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

9) Life is Beautiful
15) Amadeus
19) The Producers

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

Yes on all three.
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
11 - guessing but - Finding Forrester?
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

Yes.
cmc
Member # 9549

(NICE! i'm terrible at the quote game, so i get psyched when i get one)
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
16 - Rain Man?
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
20- The Emporer's New Groove
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
7. Second Hand Lions
18. Galaxy Quest

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
And one that I just walked in on some people and heard this line, or something like it... 3: Equilibrium
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

Yes to JennaDean

Yes to Jeesh

Yes to Dr. Strangelove on 18 and 3, no on 7.

cmc
Member # 9549

6 - Monsters Inc??
Vadon
Member # 4561

Nope, sorry.
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

Hmm ... not Second Hand Lions? I'm recreating the scene in my mind and I see lots of beige and an iritable old guy saying the line ... I guess my second guess is gonna be "Gladiator", though I'm not sure ...
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
10. Bruce Almighty?

17. The Patriot.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

5. Fiddler on the Roof!

I can't believe i didn't get this right off the bat

Vadon
Member # 4561

Dr Stangelove - Yup, you've got it now. Gladiator

Lyrhawn -- Yes on both

Leonide -- Yup.

EDIT 2: My math isn't that great when it's 11PM.

Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
2. Dr Zhivago
6. Benny and Joon

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

Yes to both from Boris.

That sets Leonide as the victor. Go ahead and post your list of quotes.

Being as there is just one left I'll bold it with the answer.

Leonide
Member # 4157

These movies all have something in common to me -- that is, they were all movies I loved growing up. My father had taped them off of television or rented them and made a copy -- most are much older, consequently. Some are not. A lot of them have plenty in common....a few don't have anything in common with the others. So it's a mish-mesh. Some of these movies are obscure enough that even though I watched them a ton growing up, i don't rightly expect that all of them will be easily guessed. I will give clues in a bit, to try to keep the game rolling.

1) “I feel sorry for men who don't knit, they lead empty lives.” -How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying

2) “First I want to hear the story of your life. Everything that's ever happened to you since you were so high. And then I want to know what you eat for breakfast, what's your favorite color, what comic strips you read. Then we'll talk about shoes, and ships, and sealing wax, and shows. Farms. Families. Oh it may take hours. Weeks. Years. I want to know everything.” -Summer Stock

3) “'Fanny' is Thannual H. Peabody, just the kind of man I've been looking for, lots of money and no resistance.” -Golddiggers of 1933

4) “Let me guess. You're a French aristocrat, she's a simple girl of the people, and she won't even give you a tumbrel. Hah!” -Singin' in the Rain

5) “Sure, but what’s more important it's termite proof. Wait 'til you see it, they tell you how to furnish it too. No rugs or carpets, they're just dust collectors...Linoleum through the whole house, wait until you see the pictures, it's sleek and smooth easy to keep clean... well it's like every room in the house was a Bathroom!” - State Fair

6) “What the devil is the matter with you? You're in love with the girl and she's in love with someone else. This sort of thing happens all the time; people don't *die* of love. You'll recover... But meanwhile can't you be civilized about it?” -Lili

7) “Good and evil, right and wrong were invented for the ordinary average man, the inferior man, because he needs them.” -Rope

8) “They started out by calling me Thomas, but when they, um, got to know me better, they changed it to Thomasina.” -The Three Lives of Thomasina

9) “A girl dancer has to be exotic; she has to be - a peach.”
“I suppose I’m a lemon!”
-Easter Parade

10) “Psychologically, I'm very confused, but personally I feel just wonderful.” -In the Good Old Summertime

11) “Right up to this minute, my only claim to fame: you were once my girl.” -Me and My Gal

12) “She's got it comin' to her and I don't mean a week in the lap of luxury!”-Annie

13) “You start worrying about your kids the day they're born, and you never stop. Even after they bury you, I bet you never stop worrying.” -There's No Business Like Show Business

14) “Oh, Miss Higgins! You're the prettiest manager in baseball.” - Take Me Out to the Ballgame

15) “Take that boy on the street. Teach him to blow a horn and he'll never blow a safe.” -Strike up the Band

16) “Oh, if you killed her, I'll kill you! I'll stab you to death in your sleep, then I'll tie your body to two wild horses until you're pulled apart.” -Meet Me in St. Louis

17) “I’m highly attracted to you. Why, when I look at you I feel wee tadpoles jumping in my spine!” -Brigadoon

18) “Back home everyone said I didn't have any talent. They might be saying the same thing over here but it sounds better in French.” - An American in Paris

19) “Marriage is not forbidden to us, but instead of getting married at once, it sometimes happens we get married at last.” - Gigi

20) “I'm going to march in the 14th street parade with the only kind of people I can trust: 700 men.” -Hello Dolly

CLUES
2) My favorite romantic musical from growing up, not well known. Stars the director of Hello Dolly and someone Judy Davis did a fair impression of.
3) This is a fun ensemble movie, with just about the most vapid starring actress to grace the screen...clearly an early, say, Jessica Simpson. But not so trampy. Has a wonderful Pig Latin song in it.
6) This is the quote that was first a movie with a few songs in it (not a musical, though) that was then made into a broadway musical. There are puppets
9) There's a great dance number in this one where the lead male prances around a toy shop, playing different toys like instruments. Very fun.
10) Now that i think about it, this isn't actually a musical either, though it was ALSO made into a stage musical after it's release! This is a close, close second to number 2 as my favorite romantic movie of the time. Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks, eat your hearts out! (that's a clue!)

that's all i have time for right now, give them another shot!

[ September 29, 2006, 12:09 AM: Message edited by: Leonide ]

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
You know its bad when you only THINK you have heard 1 of those quotes. I am workin on 13 right now [Frown]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

Okay - so I might have just gypped myself of getting one (which is okay with me), but what exactly are the rules of looking things up? I didn't plug a quote in, I plugged something related to it in to see if I was on the right track?
Leonide
Member # 4157

I don't think a consensus was reached in regards to that...some people felt that you should be allowed to verify a hunch, others thought that the verification process meant you didn't *really* recognize the quote, so it shouldn't count. For a round like this, where i know the quotes are going to be harder, i'm leaning towards allowing the checking.
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
4 The Three Musketeers
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

Oh, I know 12, but I don't remember it. This is frustrating.
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

I might be wrong anyway, but I was thinking 14 is League of Their Own.
Leonide
Member # 4157

No to Morbo -- nice deduction, but totally the wrong genre of film.

edit: and no to cmc

Nighthawk
Member # 4176

Forty quotes since my turn and it took me an hour to identify one.

Work, work, work...

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

Eesh. I don't know any of these. Oh well, there's always next time.
JennaDean
Member # 8816

Ergh. I knew I knew #12, but I had to Google it. I did know it! But now I can't tell it because I cheated. [Blushing]
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Yipes, I don't recognize ANY of these.

Gimme the line that follows all of them...

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
15 music man?
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seatarsprayan
Member # 7634

- posted      Profile for Seatarsprayan   Email Seatarsprayan         Edit/Delete Post 
#1 How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying
Posts: 454 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I am so amazed at how I know NONE of those quotes!
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
3) Sounds like Marilyn Monroe. I'm going to guess How to Marry a Millionaire. Or maybe Some Like It Hot.

7) Rope

8) The <edit>Three</edit> Lives of Thomasina

9) Gypsy?

13) Parenthood

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
18) Cabaret
Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
4) Singin' in the Rain?
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

all but three of these quotes are from movie musicals, and one of three left over eventually was made into a broadway musical.(even though the movie itself is not actually a musical)
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

Musicals, hunh.

14) Damn Yankees

SenojRetep
Member # 8614

18) An American in Paris?
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

12) Annie
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
20 "The Producers"
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

quote:
Originally posted by Leonide:
all but three of these quotes are from movie musicals, and one of three left over eventually was made into a broadway musical.(even though the movie itself is not actually a musical)

Well that explains why I can't name any of them.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
quote:
Originally posted by Leonide:

Well that explains why I can't name any of them.
true story [Frown]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
#3 Aunty Mame
#6 Hello Dolly

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 50 pages: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  ...  48  49  50   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.