FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The REAL Hatracker's thread (Page 4)

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  12  13  14   
Author Topic: The REAL Hatracker's thread
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ela flirts with me shamelessly, causing me to doubt her realness.
[Eek!] [Razz]

I, on the other hand, am convinced of the reality of the Lizardman. Guess he has me fooled. [Wink] [Razz] [Big Grin]

**Ela**

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

quote:
I am officially protesting this thread and Slash's use of 'Lizard King.' As everyone knows, I was officially elected Hatrack's Lizard President and as such effectively ruined the career of our onetime Lizard citizen.
[Eek!] [Eek!] [Big Grin]

Really, Pat? I don't remember anyone officially electing you as the top lizard. [Razz]

There is only one lizard at Hatrack and that's Slash. [Razz] [Big Grin]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I've let this go on long enough. "Xavier" is a program I helped write a couple years ago to post on internet forums. This is Jeff Haynes, the lead programmer in the research project responsible for Xavier's creation. He's been fun, and I think we've gotten pretty good at passing the internet Turing test, but I think its time to destroy Xavier and start from scratch. Maybe I will come back with Xavier2 sometime later this year.

P.S. No, I did not create Kama, but I'm friends with the guys who did.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

quote:
Ela, the question is: have you met JaneX?
Hobbes, I've known her since before she was born. [Wink]

**Ela**

Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Really? What was she like back then?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
Small and covered in slimey stuff.
Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

LOL, Slash. [Big Grin]

Uh, Taalcon:

quote:
The guy who was taping everything all over the con as well.
Yes, and we're still waiting to see what you taped... [Smile]

**Ela**

KEGE
Member # 424

- posted      Profile for KEGE   Email KEGE         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle,

Sorry about your long wait, but hope you had some fun here in Huntsville.

AKA,

How in the world did dean and Mikey come to be living with you in Birmingham? I'm astonished and consumed with curiosity. The last I recall I was terribly worried about dean's safety b/c she was working a night job and waiting for a bus in Los Angeles? Did I just make all that up or did they move? Their situation seemed like a tragic story about to happen - and now they live with you?! I am awed and so impressed that my jaw dropped when I read your post. I was WAY underestimating you when I gave you kudos for saving lost animals!!! WOW [Embarrassed]

Khav and Jeni - It was brettly10 who I knew here at Hatrack and we lamented the cancellation of The Pretender together!

Posts: 874 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Ethics Gradient   Email Ethics Gradient         Edit/Delete Post 
I've met...

pYx (ha, if anyone other than Tom & Slash remember her)
Martha
Troubador

Almost met...

Slash

Have spoken to Pod on the phone, I think. Possibly Sarfa as well.

Posts: 2945 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pod
Member # 941

- posted      Profile for Pod           Edit/Delete Post 
Mike:

i recall pYx. (not that thats a surprise)

and yes i recall talking to you on the phone as well, and i think voice chat perhaps?

Posts: 4482 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Badhousewife
Member # 4934

- posted      Profile for Badhousewife   Email Badhousewife         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone remember when that Ghostbusters cartoon came out and then the "REAL" Ghostbusters cartoon came out (I guess some kind of copyright thingy got overlooked). Anyway, this thread title reminded me of that. I was at Endercon. I was that chick that lost the a prelim trivia round by failing to answer the same question twice. I guess I should rename myself Mothertree, but most people wouldn't understand how that is as shameful to me as Badhousewife.
Posts: 44 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Ethics Gradient   Email Ethics Gradient         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. Of course you would, Ted-san. DUH! I think it was a three-way phone conversation!
Posts: 2945 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Does that mean that I'm real? Can I be granted conditional reality status since Ethics Gradient has met two US hatrackers, and he's worked with me? That plus my elaborate example of how to track me down should be enough surely?!?
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pod
Member # 941

Indeed it twas [Smile]
Posts: 4482 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I gained two more IDs in the race to Member # 5,000. So now Badhousewife and mothertree can vouch for me.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, pooka and I and Badhousewife.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
i remember pyx, too.
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pod
Member # 941

::laughs::

and hence why this still isn't good confirmation [Wink]

it can be internally consistent, but what is necessary is that there is a large amount of overlap, not just dual confirmation from others. It needs to be interrelated

Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

Quiet, Troubs. You know you're just my alter-ego.
Toranaga-sama
Member # 4966

- posted      Profile for Toranaga-sama   Email Toranaga-sama         Edit/Delete Post 
...add one: Sticker Goddess, and no matter what she says, the name isnt "spot"...
Posts: 75 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Awwww, EG! And all along I thought pYx was just your inner bad girl! [Smile]
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KEGE
Member # 424

So how do we become REAL Hatrackers if we haven't met anyone in person? I'm feeling like Pinocchio. [Frown]
Posts: 874 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

I think you need to drive down one afternoon and visit deany and mikey and me. [Smile] We can collectively certify you as real.
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember pYx vividly. Pre-Baldar, that was the only time I'd seen Tom go bezerk.

KEGE, you ARE Pinnochio! Wow!

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

I'm sure I remember pYx alot more vividly *ahem* than any of you want to know. [Big Grin]
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
Even I remember pYx. I remember a thread where EG was traveling around and stayed with her for a while, right?
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
*scandalized* [Eek!]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Pre-Baldar, that was the only time I'd seen Tom go bezerk."

Yeah. Baldar got on my nerves because he constantly insulted ME; Pyx had the nerve to insult my WIFE, who wasn't even posting on Hatrack at the time. For all of you who were wondering how to tick me off, that's a VERY good way to do it. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

Yes, I remember her doing that, Tom. I remember how appalled I was. Ah, remember back in the good old days when behavior like pYx's from a hatracker was shocking? [Smile]
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Insulting people never really crosses my mind because I think, "They'll just call me something WORSE."

Besides. Who can insult Christy?!

Tom, on the other hand...it's the pies.

*hugs ak*

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
too bad some of us do know, eg.

inner bad girl, indeed.
more like he was her--oh nevermind.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chveya
Member # 2623

- posted      Profile for Chveya           Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't met anybody----- mwahaha I don't exist!!!!! [Razz]
Posts: 60 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Slash...Yes, I was at OSC's keynote speech at LosCon. It would have been so cool to meet you. I was sitting on the left side of the room in about the third or fourth row, near the aisle, as I recall. I can't remember if I was dressed as a civilian or if I had my Ren costume on - I know I had it with me that year. My badge that year said that I was Lady Christiana. It's a long story that has to do with the two friends I was with that year and our alternate personalities as the Wicked Ladies - although we are really quite nice most of the time (and as long as no one crosses us). [Wink]
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
My badge said Slash.

Weird, that.

LosCon had one highlight of my life. I got to hang out outside with OSC and Harry Knowles of AICN and talk movies for about half an hour.

I also got to chat with Larry Niven about TV shows made from his stories, and with Barbara Hambly about dragons. I talked to Bob Eggleton for awhile and found out we are both huge Michael Whelan fans.

It was also the first time I met Olavmah and Geoff Card in person, and the first time I talked to Kristine Card. She was very nice, even after I called her Kathy. [Smile]

My only regret, is that a guy basically attacked OSC in the hallway, and I didn't realize it was happening until it was over. I missed my chance to play paladin for OSC, and it bothers me to this day. I'm fairly sure I could have backed that guy away (he was dressed in a wizard outfit [Roll Eyes] ) without *much* violence. [Wink]

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know anything about anyone attacking OSC at LosCon. [Eek!] But the guy in the wizard costume sounds awfully familiar. Did he have really thick, black-framed glasses? If it's who I'm thinking about, he is there every year, and I personally find him kind of scary.

The thing that's cool about LosCon is that even though there are a sizeable number of people who attend every year, it still seems quite intimate. There are opportunities to interact with the writers and artists there that I imagine aren't available at a lot of cons. The majority of the writers, especially, don't seem to try to isolate themselves to a huge extent. I've come to the conclusion that this is at least partly due to the fact that so many of them are local and actually members of LASFA (Los Angeles Science Fantasy Association, the group that puts LosCon on and I think the oldest continually operating SF fan group in the world, for those of you out of the area) and so feel that they are among friends. Many of them don't just appear for panels and talks and then disappear again; they will hang out and talk to attendees. I also like that it is a writers and artists con, and not a media con. It's also cool that there are fairly large contingents there from Cal Tech and JPL, and so the science panels are usually very good.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pepek
Member # 3773

- posted      Profile for Pepek   Email Pepek         Edit/Delete Post 
Can I not exist despite the fact there are many who could admit to have seeing me truthfully? I don't want to exist.

~Sir Montague

Posts: 690 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

KEGE, they wanted to start their lives together and needed a way to do that. Cost of living is much lower in Alabama and jobs more plentiful. I had a spare room which Saudade and Andrei very kindly helped me clear to get ready for them. <i.e. Saudade cracked the whip and put us to work.> So we decided they should come live here to start their grown up lives together. They moved in last July and then we moved into a new bigger house in January.

It took them far longer to find work than we thought, and still only Deany has a job and it's just in a bookstore so no benefits which really terrifies me. No medical insurance and no way to save for tuition, etc.

Hopefully Mikey will find one soon so they can afford to live. Also Deany may get promoted soon we hope but it's doubtful whether the promotion will bring benefits or a substantial raise. I sure hope so.

The cat families merged fairly well with only one casualty, really. My cat Drive By has never adjusted (she was feral as a kitten) and now hides terrified in my room most of the time. Poor Drive By. I hate it that she is unhappy.

Deany and Mikey adopted another cat from Deany's mom (she flew her home to get it) since they moved in and Heidi is very sweet and we love her a lot. (Well, all of us but Drive By and Tiki (Dean's cat who is also afraid of everyone).)

They have yet to get married legally, though they are actually married in truth. I wish very much at least one if not both of them could get a good job with benefits, they could get married, and Mikey could get his drivers license, but all these things are taking far longer than we ever expected.

KEGE
Member # 424

Maybe there should be convention for all the people who need "real" certification to attend ... held somewhere like, hmmm?
ak
Member # 90

Birmingham? [Smile] I'm so for that!
KEGE
Member # 424

Birmingham would be pretty good if we were at that restaurant with the weird name, something like the Purple Onion? I just remember it's painted purple and has gyros.

Of course, if we held it in lets say, Huntsville, we could all hold hands and encircle the life sized Saturn rocket at the Space Center - now wouldn't that make a pretty picture! I even have my daughter's spacecamp jumpsuit that I could wear and pretend that I was an astronaut getting aboard the space shuttle.

Surely then everyone would believe I was REAL! [Wink] (Real crazy)

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, what a great thread I've been missing! I read it right when Slash started it, and though "well, nobody's met me", and hadn't bothered to check in again until just now.

I'd always wondered what the details were of dean and moonflower's move; nice to have some of those details filled in. If I'm ever hurt and alone, I know exactly where I'm going to head. Well, actually I don't know the geographical location, but I'll bet I'll be able to get directions.

I remember pYx; I always liked her, and enjoyed her irreverent style, until she insulted Tom's wife and aka both. Insulting Tom's wife, especially when she didn't participate on the board, seemed bizarre, but insulting aka, of all people, led me to believe that while she was quick witted and funny, she actually wasn't kind. People grow, though, and she was pretty young. Whatever happened to her, EG?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
*bump*

I just remembered this thread and realized that I now qualify as a real Hatracker, having met Papa Moose, rivka, LadyDove, and Ralphie. And, of course, Juliette/jsaxon.

Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, yeah, so you say. Where're the pictures?!?
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
On an apparently unreadable CD. Although, it has been verified.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooh! I'm real now too, then! [Cool]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
I've added another Hatracker to my list: sarahdipity. I guess that means I'm even more real now! [Big Grin]

~Jane~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Your real since you were at Endercon Jane! Which is going to happen next year! [Big Grin] [Cool] [Big Grin]

[EDIT: meaning that Endercon is the definition of real, you can't get any "realer"]

Hobbes [Smile]

[ August 06, 2003, 01:34 AM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laurenz0
Member # 5336

- posted      Profile for Laurenz0   Email Laurenz0         Edit/Delete Post 
aw man. No one can verify that I exist. except those crazy crazy gnomes. Garden gnomes in fact.

They're watching me. Watching me I tells ya!

Posts: 247 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asQmh
Member # 4590

- posted      Profile for asQmh   Email asQmh         Edit/Delete Post 
I've met Lissande, but I doubt her realness. I mean, right now she lives in the Czech Republic which, as we all know, is a communist fantasy. So by following an irrefutable chain of logic (trust me on this one), I have come to the conclusion that I, also, may not exist.

That's a kicker.

Posts: 499 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
HMMMMMMM...I Don't believe any of you. Since I have never met you, I sincerly doubt that any of you exist. I think that you all are trying to sham me, or are just a figment (mmmm...fig newtons) of y immagination
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  12  13  14   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.