FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Conquer the Galaxy with me! (strategy game) (Page 6)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Conquer the Galaxy with me! (strategy game)
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok thanks, I stopped the energy research and now I'm doing combustion instead. Even though now I do have over 3,000 crystals and nothing of anything else, at least I'm doing research that I want.
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Is it advisable to skip the combustion engine research and jump straight to impulse engines?
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you still need combustion to build cargo ships and small fighters but I could be wrong.
Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

Are cargo ships neccessary?
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Vassila. [Wink]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
duuuunnnn...

Duuuuuuunnnnnnn...

DUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNN
DWAH-DUNNN!!!
(dahdundahdundahdundahdun)

duuuunnnn...

Duuuuuuunnnnnnn...

DUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNN
DWAH-DA-DUNNN!!!

Vaguely mysterious Emperor Enigmatic would like to announce that shifty-eyed populace of Dark Matter have launched their first manned spacecraft. The pilot of the new light fighter could not be reached for comment, as he was busy eyeing neighboring planets and drooling.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
So, solar plant or robots? I too am under a metal crunch.

I am at 2/1/2/3. I think ideally I'd get robots and then energy, but does the reverse make more sense?

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh! I know what song that is!

I know it, but I don't know what it is called!

EDIT: I too am torn between robots and a solar plant upgrade: 3/3/2/4 is what I'm at.

I think I'm going to go Solar Plant first, then Robots

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Does Robots require energy?

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

I don't know, but I'm looking long term here, anyway.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
Cargo ships are pretty important if you want to trade resouces.

Bok: I would go with a power plant and then maybe the robots but bigger mines are always good (well almost always)

Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

No robots don't use energy.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Bok, they don't seem to.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

Robots don't use energy. They cut your build times down, but the limiting factor early on is going to be resource production rates, not build time. I recommend waiting on robot factory until you actually need them as the prerequisite for the shipyard. Focusing on your resource-production early on will pay off later, because you'll be able to afford all the other buildings a lot easier.

It's the song from 2001 Space Odyssey. I *think* the title is Thus Spake Zaruthstra. But probably spelled correctly.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
I was forcibly introduced. Now I'm on a crusade to forcibly introduce others.
I forcibly introduced fiazko to it last night. We watched the first two DVDs together, and I sent her home with the boxed set. She says that she doesn't know when she'll have time to watch the other two discs, but I think we all know that she'll be finishing the series tonight.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Heh, that reminds me of what I said. [Big Grin]
Noemon
Member # 1115

At the moment, on Noemonia:

Metal Mines: Lvl 6
Crystal Mines: Lvl 6
Deuterium Synthesizer: Lvl 5
Solar Plant: Lvl 8
Robotic Factory: Lvl 2
Research Lab: Lvl 1

Technologies Researched:
Energy Technology: Lvl 1

I was planning on building a shipyard next, and I'm pretty close to having the resources to do that, but I'm tempted to hold off and spend those resources further upgrading my solar plant and metal mines, so that I can have a chance of having enough resources to actually build something with my shipyards once I've got them.

Is it possible to join multiple alliances? There is no other alliance I'm interested in being a member of at the moment--the question is purely hypothetical.

Also, is there a way to view information on other members of your alliance? Location, score, that kind of thing?

GaalD
Member # 6222

Ya, click on alliance and then click on member list. It tells you location, points and whether they're online.
theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
How can you build a ship yard? I can't seem to find that option. I have:

Llv 8 Metal
L 7 Crystal
L3 Deut
L 10 Power

Level 1 Robot
Level 1 Research
Level 1 Energy tech

Do I need to do sometheng else still before building a shipyard?

Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

You need robot 2.
Noemon
Member # 1115

You need another level of Robot Factory before you can build a shipyard, theresa.
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
On the planet Draconis
Metal Mines: Lvl 8
Crystal Mines: Lvl 8
Deuterium Synthesizer: Lvl 5
Solar Plant: Lvl 10
Robotic Factory: Lvl 2
Research Lab: Lvl 1

Technologies Researched:
Energy Technology: Lvl 1
Combustion Engine (Level 1 )
very close to building a shipyard, just waiting for enough crystals

Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

When I click on alliance, I don't see a member's list button anywhere. It tells me that there are 22 members, but neither the word "members" nor the number "22" are hypertext linked.
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
So, in about two hours I'll be building my first colony ship. Anyone want me as a neighbor? We don't have too many loud parties in the Vadonic empire. ^_^
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
right next to the number 22 click on the words (Member list)
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

My solar system has got 8 empty planets, so you could move there.
theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, I will be building my robot upgrade in about 30 minutes [Smile]
Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Eight empty? Sounds like another home to me, once I've had it made, I'll send it off.
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

Cool, I sent you a buddy request.
GaalD
Member # 6222

I just let Bob Scopatz in. Hope it's ok.
Noemon
Member # 1115

I must be looking in the wrong place, because I don't see the words "Member List" after the number 22 (23 now). I'm getting there by clicking on "Alliances" in the vertical menu bar on the left side of the screen.
Noemon
Member # 1115

How do we know that this "Bob Scopatz" character is really a Hatracker, and not just some johnny-come-lately who only joined the site to get into our alliance?
Member # 7476

[ROFL]
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

Try signing out and then signing back in.

It should look like this:
Members 23 (Member list)

J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
Name: JT Sytryker
Planet: rock

I just finally got around to starting one... Is it too late to join you guys and your alliance?

[ May 31, 2005, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: J T Stryker ]

Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Who is dro? Or is he just another random?

-Bok

Noemon
Member # 1115

I've tried that a couple of times, Vasslia, and have tried it on both IE 6 and Firefox. No luck. I just get the following (displayed in a table, which I can't reproduce here):

quote:

Your alliance
Tag hatrack
Name jatraqueros
Members 23
Your rank Newbie

Jatraqueros.

Homepage www.hatrack.com

Internal section

Welcome.

Leave this alliance
go

GaalD
Member # 6222

Then Bob is pretty desperate to join our alliance because he must've posted alot in the last 20 minutes to trick me into thinking he's a regular [Smile] I think he deserves to join for that [Big Grin] Anyways, I solved my low metal/ridicuously high crystal problem by upgrading my metal mine, and then to supply the extra energy for it I built a solar satellite thingy which used up 2,000 crystal. It worked out well.
Noemon, my guess is because your a newbie, you can't see it. Not sure though.

Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

I bet its because your a newbie.

No, its not to late, at least I don't think it is.

Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

I hope you have a good defense because your satilate could draw in attacks for the crystal.
Noemon
Member # 1115

Ah, okay, I can buy that as a reason. I assume that time will take care of my newbie status.
GaalD
Member # 6222

Is one satellite really enough to provoke an attack? Doesn't it cost deut and stuff to attack? I have a missile launcher, but if they only attack my solar satellite, which is in space, will my missiles still be able to hit them?
Noemon, I think the founder(Enigmatic)has to promote you. Ask him.

Inspired
Member # 8130

- posted      Profile for Inspired   Email Inspired         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't made a Rocket Silo yet, why do they have to be so expensive. At my current rate, it will only take me about, oh.......... a week to get enough resources. Can I get word on being accepted? Username is Excaliver.
Posts: 34 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Hey, Enigmatic, how about it?
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

Enigmatic or MEC can promote people.

Yes it does take deut to attack but some people may still attack but your missle launcher will hit them (I think)

Inspired: I think it would be best to wait for Enigmatic or MEC to accept you.
And the rocket silo hasn't been built by anybody on our alliance, once you build a shipyard you can build a missle launcher.

Enigmatic
Member # 7785

Noeman, try it now. The promotion thing occurred to me a bit ago, but then I was afk for a while so couldn't test it. Inspired, you've been accepted into alliance too.

Currently my metal/crystal ratio is almost exactly the same as the ratio needed for light fighters. I can build 1 every 4 hours. Hmmmm...

--Enigmatic

GaalD
Member # 6222

You can get 3,000 metal every 4 hours [Eek!]
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

Does anybody know what vaction mode does?
Noemon
Member # 1115

That did the trick, thanks.
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Does anybody know what vaction mode does?
It puts you in a protective mode, so that no one can raid your worlds while you're away. It also suspends production though. Vacation mode lasts a minimum of 48 hours.
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.