FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Lost" discussion *including spoilers* (Page 12)

This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  21  22  23   
Author Topic: "Lost" discussion *including spoilers*
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems to me that Charlie's episode was called "The Moth" because he kept returning to his drugs like a moth to a flame. I doubt it's a Pandora reference.
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You know, the name "Ethan Rom" is an anagram of "Other Man". In the previews, isn't Danielle warning the survivors about the "Others"? ...
I always figured that Ethan had got a hold of a Royal Ontario Museum leaflet or that one of the scientists had been from there, and then when he was asked about his name and home the first thing that came to his mind was 'ROM' (as the museum is known) and 'Ontario'.

[Dont Know]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I liked seeing some input from Random Science Teacher-
You know, for those of you too young to remember, RST was actually on Matlock. [Smile]

Of course, he was also in The Fugitive, U.S. Marshals, and Agent Cody Banks, but I figured everyone would remember him best from Matlock.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Anyone use Closed Captioning?

Distant gasping? It sounded more like distant barking. I thought it was the dog yelping. Gasping?

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

A dingo stole my baby!

[ROFL]

I've been waiting for that to happen.

(No, it's not a spoiler. It's in the coming attractions for next week.)

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Did _anyone_ expect The Black Rock to be _that_? [Eek!]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
AAARGH! I can't wait for next week.

But what's worse, then I have to wait all summer... [Wall Bash]

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it sounded like a dog at first, too. And, no, I didn't expect the black rock to be a ship that looks to be of about Bounty vintage.

I love that Walt gave Vincent to what's-her-face. She definitely needs a dog. But what was that with Sayid in the flashback, where she walked off after he asked her to watch his bag and then turned him in as a "suspicious Arab" just to get what she wanted. The thing I want to know is that if she's even aware now (within the story) that it was Sayid. Or that Sayid knows it was her.

And, I'm amazed that Sawyer told Jack about talking to Jack's dad.

Interesting episode. A little bit of everything. But did it seem to anyone else like there were an awful lot of commercials in this episode?

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
There's always an awful lot of commercials. They know there's a ton of people watching the show, so they cram in as many as they can.

Great show! I can't wait for next week, and yet I know it's going to end on a cliffhanger that'll leave me fretting over it all summer [Wall Bash]

Sawyer with his shirt off, all sweaty, and behaving like a decent human being...*swoons* I'm actually starting to like the guy [Wink]

Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

That's why it runs till 8:02 or whatever. The shows aren't actually longer. There's just more commercials.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the scene with Sawyer was breathtaking.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
Was there a new Episode last night? I can't find a bittorrent. [Frown]
Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Yes, there was a new episode.

The FrenchWoman returned, revealed details about "The Others" _and_ "The Monster".

The Black Rock was finally seen.

Sun and Jin reconciled.

Sawyer told Jack about Jack's father.

Walt gave Vincent to Shannon.

The raft left the island.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yeah, the scene with Sawyer was breathtaking.
[Roll Eyes]
That's it, isn't it? You keep wanting him to be a good guy cause you've got the hots for him.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

I can only speak for myself, cause I didn't like him all that much when he was being a jackass, but I do have the hots for him and will continue to have them as long as he behaves reasonably well [Big Grin] I think Sawyer needs to have his own show where he wanders around sweaty and shirtless, possibly reading aloud to babies.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

*already jittery with anticipation*

just under four hours to go...

ChaosTheory
Member # 7069

- posted      Profile for ChaosTheory   Email ChaosTheory         Edit/Delete Post 
Spoiler:

Dude I was so not expecting the certain explosion at the certain place.

Posts: 163 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh... spoiler, too.

He blew up!

SWEEEEEEET!

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Locke with a face of pure terror. I'm SOOOOO wanting to know what he saw.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
AAAAARG.

All tease, no payoff.

AAAAARG.

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was spectacular. Creepy and twisty.
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Spoilers.
A)It's an 8 season arc, so I'm not sure why you thought there'd be any pay-off.

B)How could you not be totally expecting that explosion?

C)This is the Locke I've been expecting. He is sounding more and more like Peter Watts every episode.

D)So, did they take Walt instead of the baby? I mean, do you think that those guys were "the others"?

E)How cool was that smokey thing?

Teshi
Member # 5024

It was a bit, eh, Taalcon? But so involving. I really liked the ending montage of them all getting on the plane, but of course it was pretty much sentimental mush... [Smile]

Well, one thing we did learn is that something is underneath the island. I'm starting to think this is more science fictiony that spiritually magic, i.e. that there are crazy people living underneath the island who have an obsession with children. They are more technological than actual fate, magic, spiritual, etc.

I'm guessing the people on the boat were Scott's people- they had the same ragged, dirty yet somehow quasi-civilized look about them, as if they kind of had an idea about how to live.

Was it only me or did I see little ghost-like black clouds flitting around the scene? There was the shadow that Jack and Kate saw, then there was the same sort of thing for a moment over Locke, then, after they blew up whatever got Locke something black flitted out the hole, then zipped away.

Looked to me like the monster was all show, like a Disney World monster; surround sound and cracking branches, flying wood and explosions in the floor, but no actual monster. Locke did seem to see something, but of course he's actually already faced the monster...

And then there's the problem of the mauled bodies, like that of the pilot, who had clearly been eaten by something, and was grabbed, and unless there's a clever mechanical creature... Hm, interesting.

I liked the tunnel rather than there actually being something to hide in. I had heard a theory that it might be pandoras box-ish, but I like the tunnel better than that.

Mysteries:

1. Why the show of the black smoke? Who was keeping it burning? What's it for? They didn't try to capture anyone- Danielle Rousseau waited and there was no one there. The black smoke didn't drive Walt into their arms, and he seems to be the one they one they wanted.

2. Danielle was somehow involved with Claire's kidnapping. What does that mean? Did she save Claire and return her? Is she somehow involved with Scott's people?

3. What use is a child? They took Danielle's- that didn't do much good. What use is Walt?

[Big Grin]

EDIT: Ah, so Kayla you did see a smokey creature thing? I'm not imagining things?

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

"Dude. You have some Arnst on you."

Anyway...Walt's unusual powers might be why they wanted him.

Teshi
Member # 5024

Yeah, I thought of that, but unless they've got spies (!) how would thet know? We hardly know!
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Maybe _they_ have powers too?

*wiggles fingers*

SPOOKY! [Big Grin]

Teshi
Member # 5024

(I've just realised that the pandora box theory was from here- I also heard it from my friend, so I got confused- sorry)
Stray
Member # 4056

Um, Teshi, I think maybe you mean Ethan instead of Scott? The guy who kidnapped Claire? Scott is the guy he killed when they wouldn't give Claire back.

This certainly provided a lot of food for thought. I wonder if the others kidnapped Claire in hopes of holding her until she had the baby, and if so, what they wanted the baby for. What would they even do with it? How would they raise it? A week-old baby can't eat fish and fruit. They'd have to have a whole tribe of people, complete with women nursing babies of their own to provide milk, if they were going to raise the baby and not kill it. I'm not so sure that the guys on the boat are the same "the others" as Danielle was talking about, I think they may just be pirates or something. But who knows.

*whimpers* Is it fall yet?

neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
I got a pirate vibe from the guys on the boat too. I was wondering if maybe they sell kids into slavery or something like that. Or maybe they collect kids for "the others". I kinda figured that "the others" stick to the island themselves, but you never know. I guess we'll have to wait a few months to find out.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Dammit, I liked Arnst and they killed him off.

Grrr!

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
How did Arnst die? I missed the first 30 minutes of the finale, so I knew he was dead but not how.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DavidR
Member # 7473

- posted      Profile for DavidR   Email DavidR         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How did Arnst die? I missed the first 30 minutes of the finale, so I knew he was dead but not how.
SPOILER ALERT . . . SPOILER ALERT

Arnst went with the group because he insisted that he knew how to handle explosives. Anyways, while explaining the instability of Nytroglycerin while holding a stick of dynamite that was sweating the stuff, Arnst go BOOM!!! [Dont Know]

Posts: 148 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Ah, crazy. I recall him lecturing that they needed his help in handling it (only to have him try to run away at one point while going there). Sort of interesting that it was the dynamite that did him in. I thought maybe it was the monster thing guarding the ship. Oh well. Thanks for the info.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, now we know where the polar bear comic book came from - it was Hurley's.

And it's really bothering me that Charlie took off with one of the statues with the heroin in it. Of course, we knew that would happen as soon as Boone found it. Still, I think it sucks.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Now it is just a matter of if he will use it or not.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Sun and Jin are married.
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Or if someone will discover it before he can use it. Plenty of confrontation could come from there.
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
1. Why the show of the black smoke? Who was keeping it burning? What's it for? They didn't try to capture anyone- Danielle Rousseau waited and there was no one there. The black smoke didn't drive Walt into their arms, and he seems to be the one they one they wanted.
I agree that Walt was the one that the Others wanted. Maybe the black smoke was a signal fire that the Others set to guide them back to the beach after they pirated away Walt.
Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
As soon as Danielle said "they wanted the boy" everyone had to know it was Walt for sure.

Before then I had minor inklings, when he said not to open the hatch, and other minor things. But the baby snatcher thing seemed more plausible with Rousseau's history and since Claire was kidnapped.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

I percieved this to be the first capture in a chess. Who says they don't want the baby? If they don't want the baby, all that Claire/Ethan stuff makes no sense.

Also, did anyone else pick up a vibe when Michael said to his mother "he wasn't supposed to be mine, it wasn't part of the plan?" or was that just him saying he didn't want Walt?

I was really enjoying the scenes on the raft. It seems they were really getting close with each other.

So... more dead skeletons, then?

I wonder if when they killed Scott, they used the boat to get to the beach?

It makes me wonder what Locke did see when he looked in the hatch. I mean.... if all it is is a shaft that runs that deep, all he's going to see is a lot of tunnel and a white light.

Also, this makes me wonder. Where did the hatch come from in the first place? Was someone trying to keep people out, or keep it in? And why only one hatch?, then, when there is obviously other places it can come out? Looks like this one, however, is the only with with a ladder towards it. So, we must assume that the pirate people or whatever they are, built that one. And if they are indeed the bad guys, then the hatch must be a good thing. However, with all the hints that it's bad, it's more likely that someone else was stranded there and knew about the monster, or that the pirate guys are good guys.

Also, this just popped into my head, it was as soon as Walt touched Locked and said not to open it, that the others were after him.

zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the pirates arent' the Others. They might be in the same situation as Danielle in that they plan on giving Walt to the Others as some type of sacrifice/exchange. When they left on the raft, you could see just how big the island is so it's possible there are other groups on the island.

It seemed to me like something was trying to keep Hurley away from the island. Every step of the way, obstacles were being thrown up tyring to keep Hurley from getting on the plane, but he did anyway. I thought that about Locke for a minute when they told him they had no wheelchair for him.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DavidR
Member # 7473

- posted      Profile for DavidR   Email DavidR         Edit/Delete Post 
Jimmy Kimmel Live had Jorge Garcia, Harold Perrineau, and JJ Abrams on the show last night and when asked if the people on the boat that took Walt were "The Others," Harold Perrineau said yes they were. Now it could be that the the actors are being kept in the dark about details and they are jumping to conclusions. I don't recall if JJ Abrams was asked about it and if so what his response was.
Posts: 148 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

The hatch could be an escape tunnel from the Mysterious Underground Lair- naturally it would be made impossible to enter because they wouldn't want it to be used as an entrance by unworthies.

zgator- I like your idea about Hurley not meant to be on the island, but I'm not sure about Locke- there simply weren't enough obstacles for that to be true of Locke, whereas Hurley was clearly facing bad luck of the best kind.

If the island is technologically based, the whispering Danielle and Sayid heard could easily be hidden speakers.

I think it's also clear that the Others we see right now are not the original creators of whatever's underneath the island, or with the island. They may have harnessed the power the island provides, or made it work for them, but I doubt that they are the originals- the hatch, the unbreakable glass of it, was clearly made by someone advanced. The boat that the others were on seemed to be another shipwreck they had made seaworthy.

Stray
Member # 4056

I wonder how effective an escape tunnel the hatch would have been, since it was almost completely buried when Locke and Boone found it. And when they got the cover off, it looked like they were looking down a mineshaft--a straight, narrow tube--but the metal structure around the hatch is a lot bigger than that. I was expecting some kind of airlock-type deal, or at least a staging area to let people move stuff around without having to take it aboveground. I wonder what's up with that.

Also, anyone else notice that the blond person on the bad-guy boat, the one who threw the bomb, was a female? I wonder if that could be Alex...

UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread made me curious about the show from very early on, but most nights it is nearly impossible for me to get to the TV. Still, by about halfway through the season, I began trying to catch at least half of most episodes. I missed a lot, but between what I saw and what I read here I basically got the drift.

Last night I got to see the entire finale, and it was great.

(Are Spoiler warnings necessary in individual posts at this point, or is it safe to assume that any and all posts in this thread may contain spoilers?)

I've also been reading some speculation on another board about the possibility that, next season, there will be a shift of focus to another group of survivors from another section of the plane. People on that board are worried that, if this is the case, it will mean that we all have to wait that much longer to get any resolution to the cliffhangers that last night's episode left us with.

I, for one, am most anxious to see what happens to the three guys who are now in the ocean with no boat and at least one injury (or worse). Right now I'm guessing that at least part of the raft might be salvagable, at least enough to get them back to the island. I think Sawyer will survive his gunshot wound, but I wonder about Jin.

I am slightly less curious about the contents of the tunnel/hatch that Jack and Locke have opened up, but still very interested. Here I have no ideas or speculations.

I have a little trouble understanding why these people haven't already done a more thorough search of their island. What would be so difficult about a group of them taking off down the coastline and finding out, at the very least, how big the place is and what its main features are? That seems so elementary to me. Did I miss something where somebody has already done this? I don't think so. Heck, how do they even know it's an island?

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I get the feeling that "The Light From the Hatch" might be an entirely different, but interconnected mystery with "The Others".
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
What would be so difficult about a group of them taking off down the coastline and finding out, at the very least, how big the place is and what its main features are? That seems so elementary to me. Did I miss something where somebody has already done this? I don't think so. Heck, how do they even know it's an island? [/QB]
Locke has done that. As has Sayid. The rest wanted to stay in one spot in case rescuers came.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Did _anyone_ see the "Lost Scene" they were supposed to play earlier on "Good Morning America"?

I over-slept! [Frown]

Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
I think Sawyer will survive his gunshot wound, but I wonder about Jin.

Yes. Think about the parting scene between Jin and Sun. It was really tender, really drawn out, really focused on. I got the feeling he was doomed.

When the light went on in the shaft, surely Locke knew there was a tunnel down there. He must have seen, unless the light was too bright for him to make anything out. If he knew there was nothing but a ladder and a tunnel, that throws a whole different light on Locke and somewhat expains his willingness to go underground. He knew there was something down there, therefore he knew that being dragged in was no necessarily a deathwish.

I like that Jack is now wary of Locke. I feel that Locke, although he may be well-meaning, is a bit of trouble.

One thing I liked about Arnst was the fact that he actually commented on the fact that there are other people on the island other than the familiar main characters. This makes me wonder if there will be some kind of confrontation between the two groups- a demand to be involved. How that will be resolved, I don't know, because it might be an issue to include everyone in the plots.

Kayla
Member # 2403

It's Arzt! There's no N!

U of U guy, yes. Sayid tried to walk the coastline to see how big the island was and was abducted by Danielle and tortured. Locke and Boone have been "hunting" inland, but they all stay away from the "dark territory" because it scares the hell out of them. There are huge polar bears and other weird animals there. And funky smoke thingies.

This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  21  22  23   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.