FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Lost" discussion *including spoilers* (Page 16)

This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  21  22  23   
Author Topic: "Lost" discussion *including spoilers*
RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I had a good look at the symbol. I only recognized the general shape. I would like to see exactly what the symbol is and what it contains
Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gossip
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for gossip           Edit/Delete Post 
code:
||| SNAKE |||
||| |||
\\\::::::::::///
\\\________///

Something like that. It's more of an octogon. There is a snake in the middle. The periods and the slashes are to mean there are like... rows, like in a greek amplitheater.
Posts: 51 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a decent screeshot of the symbol here.

I tried several times to get a better picture but the camera wouldn't stop moving to get a clearer shot. It's the same on the shirt and the shark...

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it was on all the food containers in the storage room Kate got locked in.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ctm
Member # 6525

- posted      Profile for ctm   Email ctm         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like a swan to me rather than a snake. Can't read the word on it though.

I agree that it wasn't the best episode... I also would have liked to have a little more revealed.

Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
The symbol is a derivation of a taoist symbol, PA-KUA. I wonder if the animal in the middle is a reference to the yin-yang?

web page

Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus
Member # 7339

- posted      Profile for Crotalus   Email Crotalus         Edit/Delete Post 
If you guys really want to get your minds blown, then go to a fansite and read the variious theories on the message boards. Here's one of the better ones. the unofficial lost fan site
Posts: 232 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
looks like the Lock Ness monster to me.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
and Bigfoot!
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
So it was a swan. I just wish Jack would have let the count down finish. And what was with Jin speaking English in the preview for next week? Craziness.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I actually do like this show, but even if I didn't I would be forced to keep watching in the hopes that someone, someday, would actually EXPLAIN what the %#$!#$! is going on.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just glad we got a scientific explanation for the polar bears. Hooray for no magic!

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone tape it this week?!! My vcr bit it, and it didnt tape!!
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

I didn't tape it, but I assume it'll be up on Bittorrent tomorrow.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Darn, it didn't tape on my dvr. Poop.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Bittorent? Is that a place I can DL it at?
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Bittorrent is a program, a type of sharing application. I'm sure someone else could give you a more technical idea of what it is. Check www.isohunt.com tomorrow (or maybe even tonight) for a torrent (basically a download) of this week's episode of Lost.
Crotalus
Member # 7339

Hallelujah, they answered the polar bear question!
Posts: 232 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I could totally see the countdown and the number entry being some sort of unethical experiment on the human psyche to see if a person would go forward with the compulsion on faith alone--just the fear of what *might* happen if they didn't do that easy task.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Yeah, I thought of that when they were watching the orientation film. I would probably do it out of fear myself. I'm too trusting. [Big Grin]
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Lyrhawn I'm pretty sure I've got it taped. I'll make sure tonight when I get home. If you want me to send it to you drop me an email.
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
What does everyone think of Einstein's Unified Field Theory and or Philadelphia Story to eplain what's going on?
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Thanks Jay!
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Crotalus:
Hallelujah, they answered the polar bear question!

They did? I can't believe I missed that. Please explain.
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They did? I can't believe I missed that. Please explain.
During the filmstrip they watched, it said something to the effect of "We brought brilliant scientists from many different fields to perform experiments on the island, including psychology, parapsychology, zoology..."

And when they said "zoology" it showed two polar bears wrestling. Probably on the island.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know that they've answered it. They made reference to it in the film, but I don't think anyone would transport polar bears to a tropical island to see what would happen.

Jack is developing crazy backed-into-a-corner eyes. He's almost as good at that as Ben Browder.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
They most emphatically did NOT answer the polar bear question.

They just barely answered the questions of who built the bunker and how/when Desmond got there. And practically nothing else.

I was actually kind of surprised at how much they did reveal in the orientation film. It was obviously old and worn, and I kept expecting it to burn up or snap or otherwise be destroyed, and all its information be lost forever.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

There seemed to be a chunk taken out of it. Anyone else notice the blip where a sentance was never finished?
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
There was more than one blip. The film appeared to have been spliced/edited at several points.

I almost laughed out loud when I saw the shot of the mysterious individual who was the financial backer of the project; zooming in on him in complete shadow, being quite deliberate about hiding his identity. It seemed to be setting him up for some major revelations later.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Huh. I noticed the sound quality breaking up, but only one place seemed to be a serious blip. A sentance something like, "Don't ever use the computer to...."
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

That was one of the more obvious, but there were at least one or two others before that.
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I noticed several jumps/splices where things had obviously been cut out of the film. Still gave us quite a bit of information, though.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fil
Member # 5079

- posted      Profile for fil   Email fil         Edit/Delete Post 
Must see:

Dharma Industries Home Page

and

Hanso Foundation

I love their extras that they put out. The Oceanic airlines site was a wonder to plunder. Will these prove just as fun? And distracting?

Posts: 896 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for pointing out the sites!

Not much on either yet, but the Hanso "Active Projects" page should get the Official Lost message boards a buzzin'.

I also liked the fake script excerpt they had for last night's episode. "Zombie Walt" indeed. [Wink]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
How come nobody's pointed out that in the preview for next week, Jin speaks perfect American English? I checked it, because I couldn't believe it first time around. He says "from now on, everything is going to change" right at the end of the clips.

My bet is that the other group from flight 815 (as of course it is) is the Hobbesian group. The big man will be called "Tom". They will be all fighting for their lives in an unorganized Hobbesian manner in which life is nasty, brutish and short. It's all a big social experiment, this TV show!

From the tape it sounded like the Swan is only one of three buildings on the island. But if that's the case, why does the symbol on the Dharma page have a swan in it as if that's the symbol in general?

Now, the sickness thing is peculiar. Both Rousseau and now Desmond have mentioned sickness, with Rousseau implying first hand knowledge, so I hesitate to say that it is, as Jack initially said, just a psycological experiment, although I was seriously hoping they wouldn't push the button.

~

From the Hanso Foundation page:

quote:
[quote]further the evolution of the human race
Do I have to even discuss this? They are messing with our heads.

From the sections of "active projects" (which basically all are a "you are not authorized to know what's going to happen in this TV show"):

quote:
Thank you. Namaste. Good Luck.
Clearly the "Namaste" was put there for a reason. Namaste is a greeting that implies submission of the greeter to the person they are greeting, as far as I can tell. Link. Combined with the taoist-type symbol of the logo, it's quite interesting.

There is some speculation that that Dharma site is not legitimately associated with the series.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Teshi, I did point it out. It's in my post made at 9:11PM last night. [Razz]
Teshi
Member # 5024

Oh.

*shifty eyes*

Oh, and it seems that the big man who's captured them is actually a resident of the island. But I'm not letting it ruin my theory.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.thehansofoundation.org/videostream.swf
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Anyone figure out a way to enter the Dharma Initiative site yet?
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Hmmmm.

The Wikipedia entry for the Dharma Initiative notes the similarity between the DI logo and that of the alleged Montauk Project

Interesting. If it's not a coincidence, it may be a clue.

beverly
Member # 6246

quote:
How come nobody's pointed out that in the preview for next week, Jin speaks perfect American English?
quote:
Teshi, I did point it out. It's in my post made at 9:11PM last night. [Razz]
:chuckle:

I figure, if Sun can pretend for several episodes that she doesn't understand a word of English, why can't Jin do the same? Just fake it for longer? And for no good reason that comes to my mind?

Teshi
Member # 5024

He's probably "in" on the conspiracy [Wink] .
JeTmAn
Member # 4756

- posted      Profile for JeTmAn   Email JeTmAn         Edit/Delete Post 
I notice the Dharma Initiative site looks for a specific IP before it'll let you in...I would think if you set your IP to the same as the numbers, it would let you in, but it looks like it's looking for a XX.XX.XXX.XX IP which is 9 digits and the numbers together are 10 digits.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I suppose that if they are going to go down the road of the Montauk Project mythology, Desmond's saying "See you in another life" every time he takes leave of Jack (as he did again last night in the jungle) makes some kind of sense.

Also, I thought it was interesting, in light of speculation I've seen some places concerning a Bermuda Triangle-like area having something to do with what happened to the plane, that the film made reference to something about "magentic anomalies" (I can't remember the exact words) in the area of the island. That also makes sense in terms of the Montauk Project/Philadelphia Experiment mythology.

This gets more and more interesting.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:

There is some speculation that that Dharma site is not legitimately associated with the series.

Until they replaced it with the "Orientation" film, the Dharma site was reachable by a hidden link on the Hanso Foundation Projects page...and since Hanso has the Disney/ABC "Terms of Services" link on it, I think it's more likely to be legitimate than not.
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
I've stumbled on to something....refresh the login site...and while th ip checker is checking move your mouse to the outside lower left...you should turn the first blockgreen...then move you mouse on the outside edge of the octagon in a counter clockwise motion....So far I got up to three blocks to turn green...
EDIT...actually I have to no idea after the first one...I've got to four with out knowing how I did it...
Ok I've got the first four figured out...just looking for the last one...

[ October 07, 2005, 08:07 AM: Message edited by: Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged ]

Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus
Member # 7339

Gah! Darnit, maybe they didn't come right out and say, "THIS is how the polar bears got on the island...". But the bears they showed were kind of play wrestling each other and there was foliage around them, not ice. I still assert that this explains how the bears got there. Y'all are just too darned suspicious and paranoid. [Smile]
Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
Until they replaced it with the "Orientation" film, the Dharma site was reachable by a hidden link on the Hanso Foundation Projects page...and since Hanso has the Disney/ABC "Terms of Services" link on it, I think it's more likely to be legitimate than not.
The hidden link wouldn't work for me. *sniff*
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
If you look at the training video now, it shows the polar bears with snow around them. I could swear the other night I also saw foliage. Does someone still have it on tape?

Desmond said someone named Kendall(?) found him when he wrecked and brought him to the underground lab. The doctor on the film is Dr. Kandall or Kendall. Could it be the same person?

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

I thought the person was called Kalvin or Calvin. And I don't remember seeing foliage, however, the polar bears were definately significant.
  This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  21  22  23   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.