FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The movie quote game (Page 12)

This topic comprises 50 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  48  49  50   
Author Topic: The movie quote game
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay for Cannibal the musical! I just saw that the other day, and it was hilarious. The best is to watch it with the commentary on. Classic!

Btw, I think my favorite line from that movie is, "you know what they say about sunrise..." *walks off*. Amazing!

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This list was HARD. I didn't seem to recognize any of them!
Thank you. [Big Grin]

quote:
BTW I thought the movie was no good
I actually never saw the movie, but I checked and the quote is from both the movie and the novel.

Score:

BlackBlade - 7 1/2
SenojRetep - 7
Princes Leah - 3
MrSquicky - 2
Jeniwren - 1
Alcon - 1

(Blackblade - Alcon already got Amelie, sorry. And FYI, your missing out on a bonus point.)

Edit: There is only a possibility of 3 points left, so its gonna be either SenojRetep or BlackBlade.

Edit 2:BlackBlade - Just curious, but how did you get #2? I was fairly sure nobody was gonna get that one. You are the only other person I've come across that's seen that movie. You didn't cheat did you? [Razz]

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
1) "Brazil", man that was a very difficult one. Terry Gilliam is a tough guy to remember lines from.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

That is correct. You are defenitely in the lead.

I can't believe nobody's gotten 14 yet. Come on! Do you need a hint?

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by vonk:
quote:
This list was HARD. I didn't seem to recognize any of them!
Thank you. [Big Grin]

quote:
BTW I thought the movie was no good
I actually never saw the movie, but I checked and the quote is from both the movie and the novel.

Score:

BlackBlade - 7 1/2
SenojRetep - 7
Princes Leah - 3
MrSquicky - 2
Jeniwren - 1
Alcon - 1

(Blackblade - Alcon already got Amelie, sorry. And FYI, your missing out on a bonus point.)

Edit: There is only a possibility of 3 points left, so its gonna be either SenojRetep or BlackBlade.

Edit 2:BlackBlade - Just curious, but how did you get #2? I was fairly sure nobody was gonna get that one. You are the only other person I've come across that's seen that movie. You didn't cheat did you? [Razz]

Watched the movie after Fellowship of The Ring because I wanted to see something else with Ian Holm in it, pure luck I suppose. Also the author of the book (I used the internet) is William S. Burroughs
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That is correct. You are defenitely in the lead.

I can't believe nobody's gotten 14 yet. Come on! Do you need a hint?

MrSquicky got it; you just forgot to attribute it on the master list. Congratulations, BB.
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
6)With a prompter in every cellar window
whispering comebacks, shy people would have the last laugh - Amelie by Frenchie Magoo

14)Well, let's see. First the earth cooled. And then the dinosaurs came, but they got too big and fat, so they all died and they turned into oil. And then the Arabs came and they bought Mercedes Benzes. And Prince Charles started wearing all of Lady Di's clothes. I couldn't believe it. - Airplane II by Mark Twain

Mr Squicky Already got #14 which is why I didnt grab it.
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That is correct.

Billy Madison.
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Ill wait til I am declared the winner before posting my own list.
vonk
Member # 9027

Uh, that's cheating, no point for the internet. And you took away the chance of someone else getting that point, SenojRetep could have one. [No No]

But, I guess at this point there is no way anyone can beat you at 8 1/2 points (and after I was so nice and gave you half a point).

Congraj... Nevermind.

Your turn.

(And for anyone who cares, #14 is from Airplane II)

vonk
Member # 9027

quote:
Originally posted by SenojRetep:
quote:
That is correct.

Billy Madison.
Yay! You got it!
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Uh, that's cheating, no point for the internet. And you took away the chance of someone else getting that point, SenojRetep could have one. [No No]

But, I guess at this point there is no way anyone can beat you at 8 1/2 points (and after I was so nice and gave you half a point).

Congraj... Nevermind.

Your turn.

(And for anyone who cares, #14 is from Airplane II)

Wow I can't help but confess the thrill of victory was sucked out with that [Frown] my apologies for breaking protocol with using the internet, just thought I'd be honest as I thought once the movie was posted the bonus point was off limits, I was not expecting to get a point for it, but I certainly was not attempting to remove point opportunities for others, you may diqualify me if you feel so inclined.

Also if it is my turn I must apologize by stating here that I wont be able to post my movie quote list until saturday at the earliest, possibly early monday morning, stay tuned til then, I promise to make my list interesting, all I can say is I hope you all have a healthy dose of foreign films in your blood.

SenojRetep
Member # 8614

The funny thing is:
once BB posted "Naked Lunch" I immediately put in for the bonus point, claiming the author was Norman Mailer. I used the internet to verify, found out I was wrong, and immediately deleted the post out of embarassment.

Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
I say internet verification is kosher. I thought I had an idea for #6, so I googled. I haven't seen Amelie though, so I didn't post.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

If you had seen Amelie, though, would you have posted, even if the guess you were verifying was wrong? Verification is fine, IMO, as long as you understand that you should take yourself out of the running if you are wrong (regardless if you *think* you would have gotten it eventually; that happened to me with the Batman quote on vonk's list).
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
No. Because that would be research. And that would be cheating. If I'd had more than one idea, I wouldn't have googled.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

I agree that verification is fine, but if you found out you are wrong, you can't put the correct answer. Likewise, I assumed that if you had no idea, checking the internet was off limits. But it's whatever, it's just a game.

Don't worry BlackBlade, you aren't disqualified. Seeing as how SenojRetep wouldn't have gotten that one, he wouldn't have been able to pull of the two points to win anyways. So it's cool. No worries.

Sorry to suck the thrill out. You still guessed a whole lot of those and a couple that I didn't think anyone would get. Good job. Good job to all. I intentionally made it a hard list and was delightfully suprised that people got them. (Though I'm still disappointed that no one got Airplane II)

Princess Leah
Member # 6026

Mr.Squicky did!
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I can't believe I didn't get #14. Looking at it now, it's so obvious that it's Airplane II.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
14)Well, let's see. First the earth cooled. And then the dinosaurs came, but they got too big and fat, so they all died and they turned into oil. And then the Arabs came and they bought Mercedes Benzes. And Prince Charles started wearing all of Lady Di's clothes. I couldn't believe it.

Airplane II by Mark Twain

Huh...what?
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

[Wall Bash]

I just wish I could make the head bang against the wall harder. You win MrSquicky. I'm an idiot.

Edit: Wow, ya'll even said it several times after I mentioned it the first time. I don't know what's wrong with me. I am just too excited about vacation next week to pay attention. My bad.

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

It's alright. Sometimes you just have one of those days.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Alcon already got Amelie
*blink*

I did?

No I didn't... I got Rocketman, Mr. Squicky got Amelie.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

BlackBlades Movie List of Awesomeness.

1) "What did you name him? I named him "Bu Du" (no gambling)......Thats a good name... You idiot I named him You Qing!
(Worth 2 points because its quite obscure)

2) "What are you lookin at butthead? Say hi to your mom for me." (X) Back To The Future

3) "But you are a flyer, not a faller." (X) The Land Before Time

4) "Look papa BIRDS! Keep walking! Keep walking!! Keep WALKING!!!"

5) "I'm saying you might have consulted us; obviously, the contents of this message could be extremely sensitive. You want to classify prime numbers?" (X) Contact

6) "Caeser Romaro did not play the clarinet! I never said he played the clarinet! Then what are you saying? I'm saying Caeser Romaro was tall, thats all I said. (X) While You Were Sleeping

7) "Ahh! I am insane with anger!" (X)Signs

8)You insolent, useless son of a peasant dog! How dare you show your sword in his presence! Do you know who this is? This is the President of the United States of America! He is here to lead our armies in victorious battle against the rebels! (X) The Last Samurai

9) "This is the LAPD. We're the most hated cops in all the free world. My own mama's ashamed of me. She tells everybody I'm a drug dealer." (X) Rush Hour

10) "...if I want sarcasm, Mr Tanner, I'll talk to my children thank you very much." (X) Goldeneye

11) "Jack, don't you sometimes just bust to share the joke? Here's your friends thinking we're unmarried and up to all sorts of wickedness, when all along we're married and up to nothing at all." (X) Shadowlands

12) "You're speechless I see, a fine quality in a wife!" (X) Aladdin

13) "God I hate being right all the time." (X) Jurassic Park

14) "I am not an animal. I am a human being. I am a man." (X) The Elephant Man

15) "Jim, didn't I teach you anything? Yes! You taught me that people will do anything for a potato." (X) Empire of the Sun

16) "This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then - explode." (X) Serenity

17) "One of these days you are going to be wrong and I just hope I am there to see it." (X) Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back

18) "What is the French word for "stakeout" huh?
Great police work, really brilliant! Why don't they just put up a sign that says "Don't come back!" (X) The Bourne Identity

19) "There is a war on. How is it you are heading west? Well, we face to the north and, real subtle like, turn left." (X) The Last of the Mohicans

20) "We are not the members of a democracy, Father. We are the members of an order."

(If thats alittle vague here is another hint)

"With an orchestra, the Jesuits could have subdued the entire continent." (X) The Mission

BONUS (Worth 2 points): "Raising daughters is like cooking a meal. You lose your appetite by the time you're finished."

(Worth 2 points because the director has been dogged by the academy more than once.) (X) Eat, Drink, Man, Woman.

The Best of Luck To You All!

[ June 13, 2006, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: BlackBlade ]

SenojRetep
Member # 8614

2)Back to the Future
14)Elephant Man
15)Empire of the Sun
18)Bourne Identity
20) Les Choristes?

BONUS) Eat Drink Man Woman?

Evie3217
Member # 5426

16 is Serenity
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

16 is Serenity
Evie3217
Member # 5426

16 is Serenity

17 is Empire Strikes Back

calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
2> Back to the Future
9> Training Day
10> Golden Eye
16> serenity
17> Empire Stikes Back
18> Bourne Identity

Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

16 is Serenity

17 is Empire Strikes Back

SenojRetep
Member # 8614

5) Contact
9) Training Day?
12) Farewell My Concubine?
13) Pirates of the Carribbean?

calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
7> Signs
8> Dances with dragons.. I mean... doh
9> Training Day
10> Golden Eye
17> Empire Stikes Back
18> Bourne Identity

Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
8 Last Samurai
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

e) The Land Before Time
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

3) The Land Before Time
13) Jurrasic Park

Alcon
Member # 6645

3) The Land Before Time
13) Jurrasic Park

TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
8 - Last Samurai
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

#9 is from Rush Hour.

#7 is from Signs

#8 is from The Last Samauri

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
9) "This is the LAPD. We're the most hated cops in all the free world. My own mama's ashamed of me. She tells everybody I'm a drug dealer." - Training Day...wait, I mean Rush Hour.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

SCORES!

SenojRetep: 7

Evie3217: 2

Calaban: 2

Alcon: 2

The Grimace: 1

SteveRogers: 1 (unfortunately multiple postings of the correct answer does not glean additional points [Razz]

Senoj jumped to an early lead with his devastating first post (BTW gratz on getting the 2nd bonus question correct), but there are still 8 points to be had. Its still anyone's game even if you have yet to score.

[ June 12, 2006, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: BlackBlade ]

TheGrimace
Member # 9178

just a guess...
20) The Mission

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

#19 is from Last of the Mohicans
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
6 - While you were sleeping
12 Aladdin

If this is a double, forgive me. I think I posted it, but I'm not sure. I know hatrack has been on the fritz, so if it shows up later, just ignore it.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Scores:

Evie 3217: 2

The Grimace: 2

Stever Rogers: 1

Narnia: 2

Only 4 points left, good guess Grimace. It appears that SenojRetep will pickup this round as even with all 4 remaining points no other player will catch him. I would really love to see the last 3 movies identified, and if they are not solved by tomorrow morning I will submit the answers. A preemptive congratulations to SenojRetep!

SenojRetep
Member # 8614

Submit hints first, please. I'm sure I've seen (11), I just can't place it. (Of course, I thought the same thing about (19), but I was wrong).
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
Scores:

Stever Rogers: 1

Why didn't I get a point for Last of the Mohicans?
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
#11 is Shadowlands. [Smile] Love that movie.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Scores (With apologies to Steve)

Stever Rogers: 2

Jeniwren: 1

As for clues to the rest:

1) Look at Chinese Cinema, this movie is considered by many to be the BEST. Its worth "Living" to see.

4) Is from a cartoon movie but its not Disney. Don your thinking caps and think of what tail it might be.

Ill post the solutions in 2 hours if nobody gets them [Smile]

Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Is #4 Fievel Goes West?

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

To be fair about my guess, there aren't that many movies involving Jesuits so that definately helped narrow it down =p

now I just need to watch it again =)

This topic comprises 50 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  48  49  50   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.