FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The movie quote game (Page 38)

This topic comprises 50 pages: 1  2  3  ...  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  ...  48  49  50   
Author Topic: The movie quote game
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
8) Chinatown

15) Billy Madison

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
14) Waiting
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Carrie, Chinatown is correct, Billy Madison is incorrect.

vonk, waiting is correct.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Wow, a 5-way tie for second place!
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so I take back the bit about not having seen any of the rest. Based on the clue, (19) is The Third Man.
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

edit:Nighthawk, Leonide, and Carrie win!

Correct, SenojRetep. Now a six-way tie for second. I'm surprised 15 is one of the last 2. There has been at least one thread on the film.

[ December 16, 2007, 09:40 AM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Morbo
Member # 5309

Extra extra-long quote for 11:
Harry: What is it out here with these women?
Harmony: Oh please, Harry, they're no different from anywhere else.
Harry: Yes, they are. These are damaged goods, every one of them, from way back. I'm telling you, you take a guy who sleeps with 100 women a year, go into his childhood - dollars to doughnuts, it's relatively unspectacular...
Harry: [putting a cigarette in his mouth] ... Now, you take one of these... gals, who sleeps with 100 guys a year, and I *bet* you if you look in their childhood, there's something rotten in Denver.
Harmony: Denmark.
Harry: [closing his cigarette lighter] That too! But it's abandonment, it's abuse, it's, "My uncle put his ping-ping in my papa!"... and then they all come out here!
Harry: [continuing] I mean, it's literally like someone took America by the East Coast and *shook* it, and all the normal girls managed to hang on.
Harmony: OK, everyone who hates Harry raise your hand!
[all the girls in the club raise their hands]
Harry: See that? Obedient little bitches too.
[girl screams "Screw you!" and throws a glass, which he dodges]

Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to take a shot in the dark...you said a gay detective? what about the Singing Detective?

or similarly, what about Kiss Kiss Bang Bang?

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
15) i <3 huckabees? I don't think that's right, but it feels like a movie like that
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

15. Punch-Drunk Love!

When you said "Pudding" and "SNL," that got the list going. It took this long to come up with it, though...

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
In honor of my wife leaving me home alone tonight with nothing to do (except read "Computing Separable Functions via Gossip" and who wants to do that. Well, me, just not right now) I decided to write a new list. Enjoy. Normal rules (3/3 hrs, no google)

1) - I don't go on the, you know, missions, I just write reports for the CIA.
- Then write a report about it.
The Sum of All Fears

2) He came in to demand an answer and I told him the truth. That I have fought with myself over that night, one half of me swearing blind that I tied a simple slipknot, the other half convinced that I tied the Langford double. I can never know for sure.
The Prestige

3) - Hey, someone stole our dishes!
- They ain't stole. They're hid in the cupboard.
- My cup's been washed. Sugar's gone.
- Something's cooking. Smells good.
- Don't touch it, you fools! Might be poison. See? It's witch's brew.
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

4) I have your car towed all the way to your house and all you've got for me is *lite* beer?
Back to the Future

5) - I'm an important person you see. I have a tower, a wonderful tower it was, tall and grand.
- Are you?
- Of course.
- Where is your tower then?
- We aren't talking... We had an argument, you see.
Mirrormask

6) We were married today. We were going over Niagara Falls in a barrel. Your brother tries to kill me. A taxi is waiting and now you want to sleep on a window seat. You can take the honeymoon, your wedding ring, your taxi, your window seat, and put 'em in a barrel and push 'em all over Niagara Falls!
Arsenic and Old Lace

7) - But, look, you can't tell. Not even mom.
- Why not?
- Because grownups can't see him. Only little kids can see him.
E.T.

8) - I should have told you I was fired, I admit it. But I didn't want you to worry.
- You didn't want me to *worry*? And now we're running for our lives through some godforsaken jungle?
- You keep trying to pick a fight, but I'm still just happy you're alive.
The Incredibles

9) You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays. I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering.
The Music Man

10) - Your nose is broken.
- How does it look?
- Ah, it's an improvement
Rocky

11) I would like to sing for you now... a love song. I know you share this love. I pray that you will never let it die.
The Sound of Music

12) - Listen, I'm a big supporter of fixing potholes and erecting swing sets and building shelters. I am *more* than happy to pay those taxes. I'm just not such a big fan of the percentage that the government uses for national defense, corporate bailouts, and campaign discretionary funds. So, I didn't pay those taxes. I think I sent a letter to that effect with my return.
- Would it be the letter that beings "Dear Imperialist Swine"?
Stranger than Fiction

13) - What's this doohickey?
- It's a brassiere! You know about those things, you're a big boy now.
- I've never run across one like that.
- It's brand new. Revolutionary up-lift: No shoulder straps, no back straps, but it does everything a brassiere should do. Works on the principle of the cantilevered bridge.
- It does?
- An aircraft engineer down the peninsula designed it; he worked it out in his spare time.
- Kind of a hobby, a do-it-yourself kind of thing!
Vertigo

14) - They can see it, you know. You can't go on just pretending.
- Just pretending? You brought pretending into this family, James. You showed us we can change things by simply believing them to be different.
- A lot of things, Sylvia. Not everything.
- But the things that matter. We've pretended for some time now that you're a part of this family, haven't we? You've come to mean so much to us all that now, it doesn't matter if it's true. And even if it isn't true, even if that can never be... I need to go on pretending... until the end... with you.
Finding Neverland

15) Farewell and adieu to you, fair Spanish ladies. Farewell and adieu, you ladies of Spain. For we've received orders for to sail back to Boston. And so nevermore shall we see you again.
Jaws

16) Days turned into weeks, weeks turned into months. And then, one not-so-very special day, I went to my typewriter, I sat down, and I wrote our story. A story about a time, a story about a place, a story about the people. But above all things, a story about love. A love that will live forever. The End.
Moulin Rouge!

17) Where are you taking me? I don't wanna go in there. Hey, let me out, it's dark in here. Come on, Mom, I want to be on TV. Let me out, Mom, or I'll gnaw my way out. I'm warning you, Mom, there's a nail file in here. If you don't let me out, I'll smear your lipstick all over everything. <that last bit is pretty muffled in the movie>
Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

18) Welcome to downtown Coolsville! Population: us.
The Iron Giant

19) - I don't like your manners.
- And I'm not crazy about yours. I didn't ask to see you. I don't mind if you don't like my manners, I don't like them myself. They are pretty bad. I grieve over them on long winter evenings. I don't mind your ritzing me drinking your lunch out of a bottle. But don't waste your time trying to cross-examine me.
The Big Sleep

20) - It's disgraceful, you're old enough to be her... her grandfather.
- Well, I'm as human as the next man.
- Dad, I *was* the next man.
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

----
Scores:
JonHecht - 5
Carrie - 3
Strider - 2
katdog42 - 2
Lyrhawn - 1
Pegasus - 1
Tara - 1
calaban - 1
enigmatic - 1
Morbo - 1

[ December 18, 2007, 10:04 AM: Message edited by: SenojRetep ]

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Edit: They were already chosen now, sorry about that.

Sorry about the edit, I scrolled down every time I knew one to add it in, and must have overlooked that one. Does anyone else like the Broderick version?

[ December 15, 2007, 10:38 PM: Message edited by: JonHecht ]

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

16 - Moulin Rouge?

20 - Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade!

Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
12) Stranger Than Fiction
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

Arghh, Tara. You are right, it is Stranger Than Fiction, not You Can't Take It With You. There is a similar tirade in that movie, and I got them mixed up.

Edit: Looking at the quote again, it should have been obvious. I only read the first part.

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

Jon, I did say 3/3 hrs. Do you want to edit your post?
Carrie
Member # 394

Yeah, no fair! Shenanigans on Jon!

14 - Finding Neverland?

SenojRetep
Member # 8614

I'm waiting for Jon to edit, in case he wants to choose three guesses. If he doesn't do it in the next few minutes, I'll just take the first three that were correct, without comment on the correctness of the others.

[edit: gotta go to bed; early meetings in the morning. Since Jon had more than three correct (although I won't say which), if no one claims them in the next couple of hours I will reinstate the rest at the end of the 3 hr period.]

[ December 15, 2007, 10:39 PM: Message edited by: SenojRetep ]

Itsame
Member # 9712

Sorry about that. I didn't understand what 3/3hrs meant until now.
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

Sorry again, Jon. I should've made it more clear. It's been the standing rule for the last several pages, so I just assumed everyone would know what I meant.
Itsame
Member # 9712

Eh, it's just as equally my fault. I probably should have asked what it meant, as I didn't understand. I just haven't played this game in a while.
Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
17: Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971) quote by Mike TeeVee (or however his name is spelled)
Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

Hah! You're right!
Pegasus
Member # 10464

It was the first time I was 100% sure on one of these. For most of these rounds I think I've only seen about 25% of the films listed.
Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
So many of these sound so darn familiar, it's driving me crazy.....
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katdog42
Member # 4773

- posted      Profile for katdog42   Email katdog42         Edit/Delete Post 
3) Snow White and the Seven Dwarves?

7) ET

Wow, this is the first I've even been able to guess before they were almost all filled in.

Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
15 - Jaws
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
2) Prestige

10) Rocky

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeathofBees
Member # 3862

- posted      Profile for DeathofBees   Email DeathofBees         Edit/Delete Post 
9) The Music Man
Posts: 354 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
6) Arsenic and Old Lace. Haven't seen that in far too long, Chaaarge!
Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

1) The Hunt for Red October
13) The Aviator

Also, I updated the game from September.
The result was a 3-way tie with 3 points each: Nighthawk, Leonide, and Carrie win.

Sorry I neglected it. I didn't see the last entries by Leonide and Carrie till now.

SenojRetep
Member # 8614

Updated list; I reinstated JonHecht's previously correct guesses (except Last Crusade which went to Carrie), which really only effects DeathofBees who correclty got Music Man, but significantly after Jon got it.

No on your two, Morbo, although you got the character right on one.

Other clues:
(5) was co-written by a favorite author of many forum members
(18) animated
(19) a signature role for a great character actor of the 40s and 50s.

Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
5. Mirrormask?

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, SenojRetep, is there a clue for 1)? Not like I think I'll get it, since I'm horrible with movie quotes... I just noticed you gave clues for the other 3 that are as yet unsolved... : )
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

1) The Sum of All Fears
Pegasus
Member # 10464

18: Shrek (first one)
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

Yes to Enigmatic and Morbo, no to Shrek...er Pegasus.
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

Final hints:
(18) "I am not a gun"
(19) The character is Philip Marlowe

Really, unless Carrie can get them both and wants to force a tiebreaker, Jon had better get his list ready.

Carrie
Member # 394

Yeah, not gonna happen. [Smile]
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
18: Iron Giant

That quote has been buggin me all day!

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

19) The Big Sleep
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Gah! How did I miss this thread?
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

BB and Morbo finish it off.

Jon, feel free to post a list when ready.

Morbo
Member # 5309

Yeah, Jon, feel free. [Razz]
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
He's been compiling the best list EVER in the last two months.

It'll stump us all.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

Try me.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

Umm, Morbo just told me that it was my turn.... so:

1) You don't know what a delightful dilemma it was, trying to decide on the most appropiate method for your demise. Oh, I had so many ingenious ideas I didn't know which to choose. So I decided to use them all. Marvellous, isn't it? But, here, let me show you how it works. Picture this, first, a sprightly tune I've recorded especially for you. As the song plays, the cord tightens, and when the song ends, the metal ball is released, rolling along its merry way until...

Great Mouse Detective - Blackblade

2) "Have you tested this theory?" "I find it works well enough to get me from one planet to another." The Day The Earth Stood Still - MrSquicky

3) "Oh, Mr. President, we seem to be alone. I, I'm not complaining for a social reason; it's just, I think it'd be a pity if these gentlemen missed any of this, and..." Mr Smith Goes to Washington - Lyrhawn

4) "This pass is for one person." "I am only one person. He is a servant." Three Musketeers - MrSquicky

5) "You killed my father, and you stole my elephant!" (This one makes me laugh every time I see the movie)

6) "I served under him. He was a good man." "Well, that's what the neighbors always say about serial killers."

7) "Cassandra in Greek legend, you recall, was condemned to know the future but to be disbelieved when she foretold it. Hence the agony of foreknowledge combined with the impotence to do anything about it." Twelve Monkeys - Strider

8) "I saw Robbie Taylor crying today. He didn't know, but I saw. Do you think I should report him?" Equilibrium - Nighthawk

9) "Don't you think that idea is a little half-baked?" "Oh no, Dad, it's completely baked."
The Graduate - SoaPiNuReYe

10) This isn't the Republicans versus the Democrats, where we're in a hole economically or... or we're in another war. This is more crucial than that. This is down to the line, folks, this is down to the line. There can be no more divisions among the living!

11) "Come on you apes, you wanna live forever? " Starship Troopers -Mucus

12) "What say we settle this on the runway... Han-Solo?" Zoolander -Enigmatic

13) "May the forks be with us" Mystery Men - Enigmatic

14) "Who's the father?" "Whiffet! I'm a virgin. Nah! Be great, though, wouldn't it?" Children of Men - Morbo

15) "Yeah, well, it's Philip's, okay? He won't let anybody near it. Honestly, I put half a Mars bar in the glove box once and he chased me around the garden with a bit of wood." Shaun of the Dead - Enigmatic

16) "What's nepotism?" "That's when your nephew's a damn poop!" How To Succeed in Business Without Really Trying - Leonide

17) "How was India? I'll tell you how India was. I got up this morning and I shot an elephant in my pajamas." Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - Blackblade

18) "We're fix'in to die anytime, so if we kick off in the middle of the night, you're on your own" Seconhand Lions - Enigmatic

19) "You mean you're our real uncle? Because we've already got a fake uncle."
Spy Kids- SoaPiNuReYe

20) "I'm just a bill" Schoolhouse Rock -Blackblade

[ February 08, 2008, 02:15 AM: Message edited by: JonHecht ]

Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
11) Starship Troopers
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
1) Great Mouse Detective

edit: Mucus stole 11 from under me.

17) Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. (Only possible because I saw it about a month ago.)

20) School House Rock?

Maximum of 3 an hour right?

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

8) Equilibrium ?

Got me on the rest... for now.

This topic comprises 50 pages: 1  2  3  ...  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  ...  48  49  50   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.