FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The REAL Battlestar Galactica Season 3 Discussion Thread (Page 8)

This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  20  21  22   
Author Topic: The REAL Battlestar Galactica Season 3 Discussion Thread
General Sax
Member # 9694

- posted      Profile for General Sax   Email General Sax         Edit/Delete Post 
Addama's decision to ignore the treachery that took the ultimate weapon out of their hands was strange, Rosalyn's amnesty was one thing but it seems to me that discipline in the chain of command is a bit lax, the ranks are full of mavericks at best renegades at worst...

It is amazing that Athena can live with the loyalty to the uniform and the knowledge of her love's actions.

I think they where playing fast and loose with the resurrection process, an electrical feedback that duplicates the virus? Please...

Still that is doctrine now, sigh... We know they have the virus on tap and all they need to do is infect a Cylon at any point in the future to repeat the process. Knowing that you can kill your enemy at will is a load off the mind. It may make them more clear headed.

It also looks as if Sharon's baby is the cure for the Cylon's in the face of this biological weapon. So it is very possible that they might pull the trigger and have the Cylon's pull a cure from the child. Having the Colonials try to exterminate them would put both sides on the same moral ground in the zero sum game they are playing.

Has anybody else noticed the liberal use of the out of focus, focus tight and zoom in effects on the outside? Joss Weadon pioneered that style on Firefly. Amazing to see it spread so fast.

Posts: 475 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, tonight's episode was cool. I liked how the Cylon command consol was rotted.

What I don't get is how a virus could survive 3000 years on a probe in space?

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a virus. It was never alive in the first place. All it is is a block of protien and DNA. Basically a bunch of molecules.

It's actually possible for bacteria to survive on asteriods for very long duration journeys. They go into spore form and can take immense amounts of radiation. Like 10,000 times more radiation than a human can take. Plus survive the hard vacuum. And since when a bacteria is in spore form, it stops dividing, it can essentially live forever. Or until it finds itself a nice new, warm wet habitat.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I kind of wish they'd just lay out the current chain of command for me. Lee outranks Starbuck and Helo and yet he's hanging with the Marines? Is that what he's doing now? I know, I know, there's the whole deleted scene idea where Lee actually joins the Marines in order to get his edge back, but he's still the third-highest ranking officer in the Fleet (behind Tigh, when he's on duty). GAH!

That said, I'm super-excited for next week.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
Lost needs to take notes from BSG.
I <3 BSG.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
General Sax
Member # 9694

- posted      Profile for General Sax   Email General Sax         Edit/Delete Post 
If the Marines use an Army Chain of Command then it makes sense for Lee to move the their head and be the second highest ranking officer but outside the naval chain of command. It is a lateral shift to a different branch. (It also takes care of Tigh being a Colonel on a Naval Vessel) The situation was described by Heinlein in Starship Troopers, an Army Capitan is like a Navy Lieutenant. Also for reasons of protocol on board ship he was never called Captain, but instead called Commander. I do not know how much of that applies today, Heinlein was Navy in WW II, so much of the protocol may be dated or less strict.

Still Lee has been in charge of strike teams before, clearly it is an area of expertise for him. I still am not happy with Helo bucking the command decision on this, right or wrong my gut tells me he should fry. I guess that is the difference between military and civilian sensibilities.

Where is this deleted scene at? How do you get it?

Posts: 475 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I'm too civilian, but I felt like Helo did the right thing by disobeying orders and not letting it happen. I think it's impossible to justify genocide (heck, I think it's very very difficult to justify using weapons of mass destruction, and that's only a drop in the bucket compared to genocide). I think Helo's point was valid in saying that if they did it, they weren't any better than the Cylons.

I'm really not sure how Adama is going to get away with not looking into the matter of who stopped the genocide attempt. I mean I know he can look the other way and all, but couldn't Rosalin (as president) force an investigation into the matter? It seemed to be a really big thing for her, and so if she just lets it go I'd be surprised. Maybe this will be addressed in later episodes though.

Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect Bill's letting it slide becuase he didn't want to use the Cylons as weapons in the first place. I think he's a lot less blood-thirsty than Rosalyn has become.

Lee still outranks Helo? I thought I heard Helo was the XO now instad of Tigh? (I missed a few episodes.)

Also, what did I miss with Kara? Last I saw her, Bill was throwing her out for being a malcontent. Now she's right back in the cockpit.

Can't wait to see what happens with Gaius now. How will Caprica Six deal with Deanna thinking Gaius loves her? Caprica seems like she hasn't fully reconciled her feelings yet, and the Sixes tend to be quite jealous. Will Deanna love Gaius back? Will she finally get what the Sharons and Sixes have been saying? This ought to be good.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

My whole thing with Adama wasn't that he let it slide; I knew from the episode that he wasn't as blood-thirsty and didn't want to do it. I'm questioning why Rosalin let Adama let it slide. I would think, being as blood-thirsty as she seemed, that she would demand an investigation. I could be wrong though.

In regards to Kara, at the end of last episode, she cut her hair and went and talked to Casey and her mom. To me, that was sort of showing that she was going to try and get past what happened on New Caprica. I think Adama's respect for her is important, and when he said what he did to her she knew that she was headed in the wrong direction and decided to change.

Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

quote:
Can't wait to see what happens with Gaius now. How will Caprica Six deal with Deanna thinking Gaius loves her? Caprica seems like she hasn't fully reconciled her feelings yet, and the Sixes tend to be quite jealous. Will Deanna love Gaius back? Will she finally get what the Sharons and Sixes have been saying? This ought to be good.
I think she could tell that Gaius wasn't really seeing her. That he wasn't really there. I think she interpretted it as Gaius talking to god.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think it's impossible to justify genocide
Sure there is. Your own survival. If you and your race are about to be killed off forever you have a right and duty to save yourself and your people. The people (Cylons) who are trying to commit genocide against you have cessed to be a people by their actions, and have become nothing more than a mad dog. And what do you do with a mad dog? You put it down before it bites someone. No difference. All that matters is Humanity's survival... as the President said, if history hates them at least there are people to do the hating.
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

I think there are other means to surviving that don't resort to wiping out an entire species. Prior to the goof-up at New Caprica, the Battlestar Galactica group hadn't lost tons of people to the Cylons. It's true they were still fighting for survival, but they were doing it successfully withotu resort to these types of measures. And if you look at the Cylon's recent relations with the humans, something else entirely is coming up. The Cylons didn't finish the job against humanity when given the chance at New Caprica (they could have easily nuked New Caprica and then chased after Galactica and the rest of th fleet). Since the humans left New Caprica, we really haven't seen the Cylons chasing them either. I really just can't see genocide as justifiable in anything but a last resort (i.e. your race has no way of surviving but doing it).
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

quote:
Prior to the goof-up at New Caprica, the Battlestar Galactica group hadn't lost tons of people to the Cylons. It's true they were still fighting for survival, but they were doing it successfully withotu resort to these types of measures.
Are you nuts?? Or haven't you seen the pilot/first season? They lost 50 billion people with the nuclear bombardment of the Twelve Colonies! And the Cylons were not satisfied with that...they pursued the last pathetic 50,000 survivrors, people who just happened to be offworld when the attack occured. They have lost EVERYTHING...their families, their homes, their jobs, their cities, their books, their music, their planets.

The Fleet is the very last flicker of Human life left, and the Cylons would have it gone. They Cylons have become Evil Incarnate though their actions. Humans have a right and duty to use any means nessecary to survive.

pfresh85
Member # 8085

Note that I said in particular the Battlestar Galactica group and not humanity on the whole. I'm not justifying what the Cylons did to the Twelve Colonies or anything. My point still remains: the part of humanity that is still around has managed to survive and fight the Cylon attacks that have come after it without resorting to measures that would make it just as bad as the Cylons were when they wiped out the Twelve Colonies.

EDIT: To be honest, I don't really want to argue about this and turn this thread into a large debate or anything. Let's just agree to disagree, okay?

B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty good episode I was hoping there would be more about the Earth journey in this one but hopefully that will continue next! [Big Grin]
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Sorry pfresh! That sounded way more hostile than I ment it. [Smile] Just getting overly exited. I love debating stuff like this.
*hugs*

pfresh85
Member # 8085

Not a problem, Telp. I know how it goes when you get overly excited about something. [Big Grin]
General Sax
Member # 9694

Helo had a point, the Cylons certainly were not committed to Genocide anymore, remember how 'Al' said 'We decided we were hasty in our decision to wipe out humanity, so we have decided to live in peace here, "No harm no foul"

To the Cylons the inconvenient destruction of billions is equal to the sparring of thousands. They likely see fifty thousands humans as a brief few centuries from billions again. It is not far from the truth.

The dynamic has changed though, before, common sense said that if the fleet could get enough space and time between themselves and the Cylons they should settle or expand the fleet to accommodate several generations of growth. Now however the Galactica has to stop the Cylons from reaching Earth. Now they are a threat to billions of humans and the Galactica is Earth's guardian, there is no safe harbor for the Galactica now but the Earth.

The question remains though, what have the Cylons done to their home worlds that makes them need a 'new start?'

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Kwea, that's great that you lived near a sub base, but I highly doubt that you had this type of conversation with any of the engineers or sub designers at some point.
Nice....any other conversations that you doubt I had with them? How did you hear our conversations?

When discussing subs with the people who build them, don't ever assume you know anything about where the conversation is heading, or where it will end up. We had odder discussions than this one more than once. I know I never wondered if subs and spacecraft are different, and how, but they had.

More than a little. [Smile]

The difference is they actually knew what they were talking about, particularily compared to us. [Razz]

[ November 11, 2006, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
General Sax
Member # 9694

If you have information then share it, do not hint about, do not get smarmy about it. If you cannot remember specifics go back to your friends and recollect it. If you cannot do either then do not pretend to expertise you do not possess or have access to.

It is a silly thing to risk your credibility over and it is an even sillier thing to lose your welcome over. We know that subs are air tight, roomy, with internal power and reliable systems. That is a lot closer to a space ship then empty air.

Also do not assume that you know the qualifications of everyone in a discussion, you will almost always assume that you know more due to a bias of the ego and in your case that seems likely to be erroneous.

Carrie
Member # 394

Helo is, as stated in the last episode, a Captain. Lee is, as also stated in the last episode, a Major. Major outranks Captain, hence Lee outranks Helo. Now, Helo is the acting XO of Galactica, but if we're going to split hairs over this, Lee is higher on the command chain. Kara is, IMO, a Captain, as she certainly seemed to be filling the role of CAG during the strike on the last episode.

The deleted scenes re: Lee joining the Marines are mentioned several times during the podcasts.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
General Sax
Member # 9694

In the Navy a Captain is equal to a Colonel in the Army or Marines, let me see if I can remember the ranks.

O1-Ensign/Second Lieutenant
O2-Lieutenant/First Lieutenant
O3-Senior Grade Lieutenant/Captain
O4 Lt Commander/Major
O5 Commander/Lieutenant Colonel
O6 Captain/Colonel
07 Admiral/General

This is rough and if anybody wants the rest, the various generals and admirals (Rear/Major and so forth) I can look them up. It is clear that a Major in the Marines is a step or two below a Captain in the Navy.

B34N
Member # 9597

quote:
Originally posted by General Sax:
If you have information then share it, do not hint about, do not get smarmy about it. If you cannot remember specifics go back to your friends and recollect it. If you cannot do either then do not pretend to expertise you do not possess or have access to.

It is a silly thing to risk your credibility over and it is an even sillier thing to lose your welcome over. We know that subs are air tight, roomy, with internal power and reliable systems. That is a lot closer to a space ship then empty air.

Also do not assume that you know the qualifications of everyone in a discussion, you will almost always assume that you know more due to a bias of the ego and in your case that seems likely to be erroneous.

[Angst]
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Pay no attention to the General behind the curtain, B34N. Seriously. Being dissed by him is like a medal of honor.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Alcon:
quote:
I think she could tell that Gaius wasn't really seeing her. That he wasn't really there. I think she interpretted it as Gaius talking to god.
I think she took it personally. She's always seemed a little raw, emotionally. Wanting to be loved, I mean.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
General Sax
Member # 9694

Losing Gabrielle probably caused it...

It is strange that the male and Female Cylons do not turn to each other for love, as if they know that they are not capable of it. What does this suggest? That love is a thing that a Cylon can only reflect back, not originate? Their seems to be a lack of diverse experience among the Cylons that fails to create any uniqueness worth loving. So I would guess that certain models might be more compatible with each other, but that individuals of those types would be able to substitute for one another in any relationship.

Could two Cylons trapped on a dessert Island find love for one another? It would be an interesting experiment.

Lisa
Member # 8384

Now I'm picturing Cylons in a gingerbread house...
Kwea
Member # 2199

quote:

It is a silly thing to risk your credibility over and it is an even sillier thing to lose your welcome over.

Call yourself General whatever...generally you are just a jackass.

I stopped taking orders from...wait, that's right....

I have never taken orders from you.

I have been far more welcome here than you will ever be, for far longer, even including your previous alts. You can grandstand all you want, you won't ever be anything other than bluster. No one I know cares what you have to say, at least as far as I know.

I will always be far more credible than you are, for many reasons.

It is easy for you to say those things, as you are not welcome by most standards, nor do you have any credibility to waste.

Under any alt.

How long does a sub take to make? What is it made of, how is it assembled, and what is the difference between positive and negative pressures on a hull. What type of effect would a direct hit from a nuke have on the best sub ever made, and why?

Why do subs take so long to make, and what is the fastest one has ever been made? How much "extra" space is in a sub to make room for all those "improvments" we would have to make?

How much does a toilet seat cost on a sub? Why is it so expensive, and why is the cost worth every penny, even if it doesn't seem like it is to landlubbers?

How many answers did you know BEFORE you googled the questions? [Wink]

I won't bother explaining any of this for you....I don't think I know any words small enough for that.

Nor do I care enough to bother. You have, once again, turned a completely fun conversation into a pissing contest.

And you probably aren't bright enough to understand why you are at fault.

Carry on. [Roll Eyes]

[ November 12, 2006, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
however I request you explain thme to me, so you are now obligated to do so.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

lol
B34N
Member # 9597

quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
however I request you explain thme to me, so you are now obligated to do so.

Me too, me too, I wanna know. Seriously though. Those are some pretty interesting things that I would love to know more about. Especially the extra space for improvements and why toilet seats cost so much. [Big Grin]
Kwea
Member # 2199

There is no extra room. If you had ever been in a sub you would know what I mean.

All that "extra space"....roomy is what the all-knowing "General" called it, I believe....is used, and the living space is very close. SO close that submariners have to be screened very carefully for claustrophobia. Even a mild case of it can cause huge complications in a sub. There is no space that is considered extra on a sub....even though the modern subs are far roomier than the older ones.

They also do not carry hundreds of nukes each. The exact amount they do carry is classified, and varies from sub to sub, and from class of sub to class of sub as well.

A direct hit would obliterate them. Even a close miss would....which gives you an idea of how tough the Galactica would have to be to withstand a direct hit at all, let alone multiple hits. Not to mention that no electronic system we have ever built would withstand a near miss or direct hit either....so not only would we have to come up with nonexistent room for improvements, but we would have to gut all of the controls, all of the electrical systems, all of the life support systems....

It would be far more cost effective to design ships from scratch, particularly since they would already have the plans for them. The design phase is always the most time consuming for projects like this.

A toilet seat is important, believe it or not. If you are away at sea for half a year or more without ever coming up for air then you don't want one to break, so you? Also, subs don't travel like cars, always level. They travel at angles, climbing and diving....so everything has to be secure, and if something isn't it could break off and kill someone. Perhaps someone with the codes to the nukes, compromising the whole mission. A loose screw could cause enough noise to allow another sub to track them, and lead to their deaths.

Spacecraft are even more expensive to make, and the redundancy systems have to be even greater. And that is without considering any combat contingencies.

We can turn out a Virgina Class sub in about 1 1/2years, but that is pushing it. They cost about
200 million each, not including inflation or arms.

But that doesn't include the planning stages, which take longer. In Groton, CT., they are about 17 subs based there.

17. Not hundreds, or thousands.

17. (plus a few they don't tell us about, probably)

My point wasn't how much any of us know about subs, or space travel (fictional space travel at that!). My point was that I do have a little knowledge about these things, and I have spoken to a lot of people who worked on subs, or lived in them. A lot of those people are sci/fi fans, and we had a lot of sci/fi conversations.

First I was told that I had not had any such conversations. I said I had, and then I was called a dilettante, although not in so many words.

I never said I was an expert......considering we are talking about fictional works on TV, it would hard to claim that with a straight face, at least for me. [Big Grin] I did say that some of the people I knew, who should know better then any of us, doubted it.

So I got called smarmy. Then ordered around. I was told, by someone no one likes, that I was risking both my credibility (in a fictional area?) and my welcome here at Hatrack. Then I was told, by someone who has never met me that my ego had erroneously led me to believe I knew about discussion I had already had in my own past.....and that I had somehow ignored his expertise in a field that doesn't exist, about a fictional TV show, based on his "knowledge".

I expressed an opinion other than his own. About a subject that was in a sci/fi magazine 25 years ago......maybe. He thinks.

Shoot me now. Although if his ability with a gun matches his ability to make a reasonable point, or conduct a civilized discussion about fictional events, I may have never been safer than I am while he aims at me. [Smile]

[ November 14, 2006, 12:26 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

B34N
Member # 9597

Yeah, I don't know anything about all that but the sub explanation was pretty cool thanks for the information. [Hail]
General Sax
Member # 9694

The room is outside the sub, you poor unimaginative soul.
Carrie
Member # 394

So.

How 'bout that last episode?

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Im convinced enough that converting a submarine is probly a bad idea its like taking software code and trying to add sveral functions to it only to find out you would have saved time debugging had you made it form scratch.

Lets look at Homeworld 2 whose space combat system is somewhat decently similar to what the BSG team fight throuh, ships fight from meters-kilometers ranges.

So we need fighters, frigits, corvettes, destoryers and cruisers, carriers and some sort of dreadnaught class to pop destroyers and frigates.

The mian difference between a frig and a DD is probly armour and armament otherwise they're size/chassis is probably going to be the same. A DD may have say 4 meters of reinforced titantium plates extra covering it like pajamas.

A cruiser would be far more heavily armed and armoured might the same speed as the DD but carrying a far heavier caliber of guns on it, dozens more missile tubes more armour.

For a Battlecruiser, well think of a cruiser and then some, bloody thing should be theotetically capable of obliterating frigate at will and possibly put up a good fight vs a few destroyers and cruisers, may not win outright but by jove they put up a fight.

And of course a "carrier" we'ld probly build something a little lighter then a Battlestar but will carry a far greater complement of space strike aircraft.

Now lets look at our crew, the combined sace agenies/manpower of the Second Artillery People's Liberation Airforce, Russian Strategic Rocket Force, NASA, Royal Canadian Airforce, People's Liberation Army Airforce, USAF, Russian Airforce, NATO airforce, and Indian space aganecy/airforce and maybe some demolbilized Iraqi pilots should with BSG training should in about a month be ready to pilot in space, sophistocated training simulators and software should speed up the process, I personally suggest that if this ever were ot happen we taker the Battlestar Galactica: Behind the Red Line FreeSpace mod and slap it onto a flight sim.

We'ld have enough pilots thats for sure.

Now we need to discuss weapons.

We have railguns, coilguns we can theotetically build, we havent mastered them yet but we're close a Magnetic Accelerator Cannon can accelerate to insane speeds at insane ranges and punch a hole through a bayship without blinking an eye.

We have missiles, and plenty of them with tweaked guidance systems and kilotone nuke payloads we can crack open a bayship with ease. also if w ebuild our ships big enough we can launch hundreds of MIRV capable missiles from the batteries of our ships.

Also we can work on Kenetic cannons thode would be sweet as well.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Friday
Member # 8998

- posted      Profile for Friday   Email Friday         Edit/Delete Post 
I was quite excited that we finaly got to see the raptors use those awesome missile racks in a fight. I am a little puzzled by the writers' decision to make Athena imune to the disease. Keeping her infected would be a potentialy interesting plotline that they pretty much ignored.
Posts: 148 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
General Sax
Member # 9694

It was nice to make her different from her Cylon kin in another way though. I had a thought that kind of stunned me but I will put it out anyway, what if Adamma disagreed strongly enough to have been behind what Helo did, it is the only thing that makes sense given his dropping the matter so easily.

What was that look on Lee's wife face while she was in the C&C during the raid? Concern? Pride? Surprise? It looked a bit like any of the above. Unlike many I kind of like her, she was more of a Billy girl then a Lee girl but she beat the desperate hooker hands down. Now Cassie's mom is a possible...but I think Lee is going to have to live with the wife he chose.

Remember Boxy in the first series, kind of a proto Wesley? Well in the movie premiere wasn't their a kid named Boxy running around? Where did he end up?

pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I am angry.

I watched one of those "the series so far" things today.

And now I need to watch this show. Like, all the time. [Mad] Damn you, sci-fi crack. This is worse than my Law and Order addiction...at least they show Law and Order almost twenty-four hours a day.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

quote:
The room is outside the sub, you poor unimaginative soul.

So THAT'S what you meant when you said how strong they were made. "Roomy" referred to all the space that ISN'T already inside the sub.

I do think that the only people who would really have anything resembling the expertise to pull any of this off would be the designers and builders of modern ships and subs. Working closely with NASA, of course. Even a modern battleship is so immense that most of us have no real ability to judge the scope of such a project. The people at the naval shipyards are the only people we have with the experience in managing jobs of that scope.

Red, I would love to hear anything you can come up with from your sources regarding the differences between spacecraft and naval craft. Most of the people I knew who worked on building subs lived near my parents before my parents moved. I had a lot of friends in the Navy as well (and my Aunt was a Marine, and was Commander of the "Opposition Force" in several Wargame es exercises, with a sub as her command platform....the first woman to ever do that, according to the article about her in the paper she saved), but they were closed-mouthed about the actual specs of modern ships...

...as they should have been, of course. [Smile]

Since we have all been talking in hypotheticals....well, most of us have been, anyway...I would love to hear from other people about the differences. A lot of things have been discussed in the past as options, and if we found the Cylons knocking at our doors I think that we would suddenly find that funding isn't a problem anymore. [Smile] Some of our ideas may be very similar to what Colonial tech is during the shows time frame.....but we haven't funded most of it yet, so we don't know what works IRL yet.

Alcon
Member # 6645

Pardon me, but can you guys kindly take the far out speculation elsewhere?

It's filling the thread and I really have no interest in speculation about what might happen if the BSG showed up at Earth. It's getting difficult to filter out the posts actually talking about current episodes of BSG. Could you maybe take the speculation to a new thread? The BSG Meets Earth thread or something? Please?

ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

- posted      Profile for ReddwarfVII           Edit/Delete Post 
Alcon, if we did that, then I would have to bookmark a new thread. Don't worry, I think that this topic is running out of steam. Without yet knowing what time period of Earth's history or future BSG is placed in, we are hitting the limits of what we can assume from the information that we have.

Kwea, sorry for starting the firestorm, but in the end you provided what I was looking for. As for my sources, I will bring it up with them next time we get together. Especially my niece who the aeronautics engineer. However, after reading your post, I'm thinking that because she hasn't worked on the military aircraft in question, her opinion would be only slightly more informed then ours. It's really hard to make a guess on what could be done to ship or an aircraft if you don't know the specs. I think that in the end, you are right in saying that if you already have the plans, it is going to be cheaper and easier to build from scratch. The problem that I am having with that is if those plans include building materials that we have not developed yet. If that is case, then we may be faced with retrofitting existing aircraft.

Seriously through, I did find it hard to believe that you would have had a conversation about subs in space with those you knew on the base. It just didn't seem like something that, outside of this forum, would be likely to come up. Glad to be wrong, but smiling at the fact that we aren't the only geeks that have thought about this before.

Posts: 263 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

It is all good. I disagree with a lot of people sometimes, and a lot of the time I learn something I didn't know. If everyone agreed all the time I would be bored to tears. [Smile]

Trust me...a lot of those guys are pretty far out there, and love sci/fi. One of them was fascinated that I had met OSC, of all things, even though it was just at a book signing. [Smile] Turns out Enders Game was one of his favorite books of all time.

I have seen some of my Navy buddies almost fistfight over which Dr. Who was best, and I did see two Army soldiers fight over whether or not Heinlein's tone was deliberately overboard in Starship Troopers . [Smile]

I wish I WAS an expert in this stuff IRL. I would make a killing. [Wink]

I was also being sarcastic for some of those posts, and sarcasm doesn't translate well on line.
I probably came across stronger than I intended.

Well, until the last few posts. I meant them pretty much the way they read.

Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That was my take as well.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I didn't.....it looked like she thought he was speaking to her. Although it was weird, and could have been either, I suppose.
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
It very well could have been the other way. That was just my initial understanding of it. It'll be interesting to see where they go with it. Both plot lines would be interesting. [Smile]
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Is it odd that I took it both ways? When he was saying "I want to believe" and everything, I assumed she thought he was talking to their god or whatever. When he was talking about love or what not though (the latter part of it), I assumed she thought he was actually talking to her this time (something about the way she looked after he said it is what made me think this). I could be completely off and it could be straight one way or the other, but I just took it as a blend of both.
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

I will have to watch the episode again to be absolutely sure, but the look on D'anna's face made me think that she thought he was talking to her.

In early interviews, they did say that D'anna was supposed to be having a crisis of faith this season.

Posts: 263 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

I guess that I am glad that no one is discussing the episode yet, as I have not had the chance to watch it.
Alcon
Member # 6645

Me neither. I'm dling it now, I had a swim meet last night.
  This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  20  21  22   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.