FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Official BSG Season 4 Discussion Thread (Page 9)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: The Official BSG Season 4 Discussion Thread
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Another thought... I wonder how Helo will react to the eventual destruction of the Central Hub, an event on par with the destruction of the 12 Colonies, considering he betrayed the first mission to wipe the Cylons out with the genocide germ.

Will he try and sabotage this mission too?

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that the ethical difference there is that destroying the Hub doesn't destroy every Cylon--it just keeps them from being functionally immortal. They would still, theoretically, possess the ability to make new copies of the Seven, but without any ability to give them the old memories/lives of other copies.
Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I rewatched "Guess What's Coming for Dinner" again and it seems they're not going in with guns blazing right away...that they'll jump in with the Basestar and trick the Cavil faction into thinking they are friendly's so they can sneak onboard.

But now that the Basestar's gone... well... who knows?

Human, I would agree except the Cental Hub is probably more, well, central to greater Cylon survival and the preservation of their society. Without downloading ability does that effect the Datastream and the ability for the Models to link with each other? What about communication with the far flung Cylon fleets?

The Resurrection ships and Hub facilitate downloading from vast distances... but couldn't a Cylon just link up physically with a new body and place a copy of it's mind inside?

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
In other news, Cylon baseships run Windows
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh. That explains a lot...
Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

LOL!
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Ironic considering it's the human ships that are so susceptible to viruses.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Okay, I kind of saw Lee coming as the president, sort of. But I didn't see Adama stepping down as Admiral and Tigh taking over.

Romo going loony was certainly strange to see. Was he having visions of the cat the whole time? Nice to see Lee give him Jake [Smile]

And nice to see Adama finally admit his feelings out loud about Roslin.

My two big questions? D'Anna apparently reveals the final Cylon next week, and Roslin at the very least is likely present. I would imagine it'd have to be either someone who was on the baseship or Adama, who might have hooked up with them at that point. But supposedly none of them are in the running anyway. Anyway, should be interesting next week.

And also, who the heck is the father of Caprica's baby?! Obviously it isn't Saul. Baltar? Someone else? Immaculate conception?

Another great episode with big changes, great plot and intense dialogue.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

What do you mean it isn't Saul?
Of course it is!
He's been sleeping with her for weeks.

LOVED when Romo went crazy... freaked me out. I'm so sad for his kitty! [Frown]
I wondered why they were giving special time on the cat (not that I mind, cats rule!).

Interesting to hear more of how the Cylon Central Hub works...jumping and then relaying the data only to the Hybrids.

But I guess this info is for nothing... as the Central Hub is gone... RDM is pulling a Tolkien on us with this split time thing.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Of course it is!

Since Cylons can't procreate with each other, how'd he get her pregnant?

Or are you suggesting the Final Five have special procreative abilities?

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
quote:
Of course it is!

Since Cylons can't procreate with each other, how'd he get her pregnant?

Or are you suggesting the Final Five have special procreative abilities?

That's exactly what I'm saying and have been saying. [Smile]

The Final Five are called Cylons in the loosest possible sense. They are not really Cylons, not as the Colonials know them.

The FF are alien (and older) to the Standard Seven.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Ah. I must have missed that before.

Curiously, what leads you to believe that their specialness extends to their reproductive abilities?

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

[Smile]

Well... Caprica Six being pregnant is the evidence. Tigh's been sleeping with her, she's suddenly pregnant, Adama is pissed that Tigh is literally sleeping witht he enemy. Why would Adam be upset at Tigh for Six being pregnant if Tigh wasn't the one who did it?

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Probably because Adama doesn't know that Tigh is a Cylon. Everyone in the fleet knows that a Cylon/Cylon union won't produce a child, so Tigh is the most obvious choice. What about Baltar?

I'm not counting out the possibility that the Final Five are biologically different than the others and that they could possibly procreate with other Cylons, but I like to look for more possibilities. If everything established is true and Tigh can't be the father, that means there's someone else in the picture, and who else wouldv'e slept with her? Or like I said, what if this is a new religious angle and there IS no father?

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Possibly...
But I'm still of mind that Tigh is the father.
Baltar has not been allowed to see Six at all so it can't be him. It could be the religious angle, but I doubt it... All the evidence and build up have been about Tigh and Six getting busy with each other. Shocking enough. But to have Six pregnant by Tigh? Even bigger, but logical, shocker.

[ May 31, 2008, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: Telperion the Silver ]

ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say that it is very likely that Tigh is the father. While other people have been in with her, no one else has been in there with the cameras off and the guards sent away.

Also, does anyone else think that they're really starting to overuse the whole "if you don't believe me then go ahead and shoot". It isn't that bad in and of itself, but it seems to be popping up an awful lot lately.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
They aren't gonna reveal the final. My bet's the reveal Sam. He's one of the final five and he's on the ship. She didn't say "you're the fifth", she said "you're one of them". Either that or Tyrol (I can't remember if he's on the baseship). We know Sam is (pretty sure). And all the others are back on Galactica, and there's no way in hell they're revealing the fifth yet. They just want to keep making us think they are going to with the previews. The preview was structured to make us think Roslin's the fifth, it won't be.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Oh yeah...good point, they didn't say that it was the fifth, just that someone gets outed. I didn't think that it was Roslin, despite the way the trailer is structured.

ricree -

Honestly, despite the fact that Lee is one of my favorite characters, 75% of me wanted Lampkin to shoot, just because I'm sick of people saying "pull the trigger" and then no one ever does. I almost think having him actually shoot but then have it be non-fatal and have Coddle save him might have been a lot better, even if it would've left Lampkin in jail.

I think my favorite part of Serenity was whem The Operative sits down and says "I'm unarmed," and Mal says "good" and pulls the trigger. But other than Mal and Han Solo, no one shoots.

I agree that it's overused, and I don't know why, but I'm itching for someone to say "okay!" and shoot!

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Lampkin for Attorney General!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sylvrdragon
Member # 3332

- posted      Profile for sylvrdragon   Email sylvrdragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Keep in mind that whole prospect that the FF are so very different from standard cylons may not spread very far across the fan base. Just because we at Hatrack thought of it a long time ago doesn't mean everyone else figured it out. Of course, now everybody knows (or they suspect that the child is someone else's).

Was I the only one that laughed out loud at Tigh's face when Adama said "You've found out a lot about yourself..." and basicaly the entire scene in general? It was absolutely priceless. Boy is he gonna be PISSED when he finds out that Tigh is a Cylon, and knew about it at that time.

I almost don't care about what people will think about the other of the 4 known, but Tigh... that is gonna be damn good.

Posts: 636 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Slightly confused. Was there no new episode Memorial Day weekend? I don't have cable TV anymore so I'm watching them on stream from SciFi rewind. My dad's been Tivo'ing them and he has nothing saved for the weekend of the 24th, and there doesn't seem to be an episode between Dinner (which I did get to see last week) and Sine Qua Non, which was this weekend's new ep.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I agree that it's overused, and I don't know why, but I'm itching for someone to say "okay!" and shoot!
I felt the same way. All of the characters are currently too safe. In order for the constant "life in peril" thing to work, I need to feel there's a chance that their life is actually in peril. I don't think that anybody of importance has died since Billy.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

Goody- You're right. There was no new episode Memorial Day weekend. [Smile]
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Amanecer:
quote:
I felt the same way. All of the characters are currently too safe. In order for the constant "life in peril" thing to work, I need to feel there's a chance that their life is actually in peril. I don't think that anybody of importance has died since Billy.
Callie?

But I still agree with you. Part of the problem with threats like that is that it's not that dire for me, and there's zero drama to it because I KNOW they aren't going to shoot. There has to be a balance between no tension and say, Whedon's tendency to kill off half the cast just to show he can.

0Megabyte
Member # 8624

But... killing off half the cast just to show you can is... awesome.

And something I'll do if I have the chance. Just to warn y'all.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But other than Mal and Han Solo, no one shoots.
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang subverted this one, too. The bad guy got about a second and a half into his monologue. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

0Megabyte -

Warn me ahead of time which show is yours so I can remember not to watch.

Tom -

Oh yeah! I forgot about that part. I loved Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

- posted      Profile for TrapperKeeper   Email TrapperKeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
Another thing that is getting really old is the line, "If we do this we are no different than the cylons"

I'd like to see someone turn and say, "What are you smoking!?!" when confronted with that statement.

Posts: 375 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

quote:
Originally posted by Telperion the Silver:
Another thought... I wonder how Helo will react to the eventual destruction of the Central Hub, an event on par with the destruction of the 12 Colonies, considering he betrayed the first mission to wipe the Cylons out with the genocide germ.

Will he try and sabotage this mission too?

To answer myself, with the Central Hub already destroyed it looks like Helo won't be forced to make this choice.
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, since it's not actually wiping them out and since it's something they want to increase their appreciation of life...
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I hope that wasn't actually the Hub that was destroyed, because that would be pretty lame to have so much action take place off-screen.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Jon Boy, I'll bet all the money in my pocket that the next episode will start right after the jump of the Baseship was made, and will take place from the point of view of the Baseship characters, and we'll see exactly what happened.

Besides, this week's episode is called "The Hub." [Smile]

0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Lyrhawn -

To be honest, I'll probably focus more on movies.

And killing off characters completely randomly, now that I think on it again, isn't quite so fun. Characters should die when it's dramatically appropriate. Unlike so many shows, that "kill" someone, just to bring them back, to keep from having to change anything.

And also, to make sure the audience feels actual worry when a dramatic, dangerous situation comes up, that someone could actually die.

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

ELOSHA!!!
[Party]

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, that was a pretty darn good episode.

But next week? I predict it'll be even better. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I missed it. I'll catch the rerun in 15 minutes.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

I knew it!

The jump drives have some importance!

Amanecer
Member # 4068

Hee hee hee!!! About time indeed. [Smile]
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Oh Elosha, it's so good to see you!
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

The Hybrid is doing emergency jumps to bring itself to the Central Hub... unfortunatly this self defense mechanism will lead to the Cylons' undoing...
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

The place between life and death is dimensional jumping.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Oh damn.
Oh damn!

Laura has finally hear the confession from Baltar that she always wanted... That he is the Butcher of Humanity... responsible for the deaths of 50 billion people.

And now she has given his proper death sentence... bleed to death you bastard!!!

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Love you.

'bout time.

AWESOME!

Still... Baltar should have died...
And now the Cylon Nation is dead... or at least is now dying. The Central Hub is no more.

Cavil One and Boomer are dead forever.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Wow...

Better than I could've possibly expected. If warm fuzzies could destroy ships, that episode, especially the end, could take on a fleet.

But holy crap! Next week the crap REALLY hits the fan! And it's the end of this half of the season! After next Friday, no more BSG for...no one knows how long!

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Next week...
Earth is found.

And it is dead! Mark my words...

And what about the Central Hub? Why wasn' it protected by more than one freaking Baseship??
It's the core of the Cylon nation... the most vital target possible. Ah well. Whatever. It is gone now. Cylons are doomed.

Thus will begin the annihilation/merger of the Cylons and Humans into one race.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

You think they'll actually get there next week?
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

I do.

Looks like they see a planet from orbit and then are standing on the surface of one during the trailer.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

It did look like a planet, but I'm wondering if that was just one of the many visions that the show's characters have from time to time.

Seems too easy, but that'd give us 10 episodes AT Earth, which would be cool too.

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Could be...could be a vision...

Wouldn't it be interesting if there was a copy of the Kobol Opera House on Earth?

[Smile]

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Even more so if it were in Vancouver...
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.