FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Do it. DO IT. Yesterday is, tomorrow, or .. something? DOOO ITTT, dreams? DO IT. (Page 12)

This topic comprises 20 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  18  19  20   
Author Topic: Do it. DO IT. Yesterday is, tomorrow, or .. something? DOOO ITTT, dreams? DO IT.
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
My NES is awesome. Don't knock. I'm beating all the games I couldn't manage when I was 10.

I have to say, I die all the time with it, still. It's either extremely pathetic, or newer games make it a lot harder to die.

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
some old games ... hell, many old games are just insanely hard. it was a time before focus group qa.

remember battletoads?

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
like i remember being a kid and playing all these nes and sega games and feeling stupid and useless and i must just suck at games.

later on I'm 24 and playing them on emulator and thinking "wait one minute how did anyone expect normal people to beat this ever"

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I put my name on the waiting list for the Zelda strategy guide from the public library. Several weeks later, it came in, and I had help for a while, and then I had to return it, and request it through ILL again. Lather, rinse, repeat, 3 or 4 times.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
some old games ... hell, many old games are just insanely hard. it was a time before focus group qa.

remember battletoads?

I loved the Battletoads pause music

I wish I had the music skills necessary to remix that into modern dance music. I can practically heard the dubstep version.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
My cousin is a writer who is in the process of playing and reviewing every NES game that was released in North America. It seems like a vast percentage of them were darn near unplayable. But he's playing them, laws love him.

Questicle

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

remember battletoads?

That damned game. I had to wait a long time until I could convince my parents to buy a game genie so I could get through that one without breaking down in a heap.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

- posted      Profile for Aros           Edit/Delete Post 
Battletoads was hard but beatable; it just required repetition. The problem was that some of the levels (driving) were disproportionately hard compared to the others.

The real issue wasn't that it was hard, it was that the difficulty level was so high in a broad, commercially popular game. It was so over the top that most people felt it was broken.

Meh. I beat it without too much trouble. Ghosts N' Goblins was way harder.

Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Ghosts N' Goblins? Please. Super Ghouls and Ghosts was where the difficulty was at.

Also I find it hilarious that the Wii emulator software can't render the game as well as the original Genesis. [Big Grin]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Y
Member # 11590

- posted      Profile for Mr. Y   Email Mr. Y         Edit/Delete Post 
Please don't remind me of Super Ghouls and Ghosts... I can't begin to count the number of lives I have lost in that game. [Frown]
Posts: 1100 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
Member # 206

- posted      Profile for Jake           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
like i remember being a kid and playing all these nes and sega games and feeling stupid and useless and i must just suck at games.

I was into Commodore 64, Amiga, and PC games rather than consoles, but yeah--while I was never hard on myself about it at all, I just took it as a given that I wouldn't always be able to beat a game. I'd get as far as I could, beat my head against the game's wall for a week or so trying to get past whatever the problem was, and then give up and move on to a different game.

[Edit - I'd also often tag team a game with friends, handing the contoller or keyboard off to one another as we collectively tried to get over this or that hump.]

Posts: 1087 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

- posted      Profile for Aros           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
Ghosts N' Goblins? Please. Super Ghouls and Ghosts was where the difficulty was at.

Whoa now. Stand down. We were talking about the 8-bit generation.

If we were talking about the hardest game ever, I would have started blabbling about Nethack until my drool lied in a pool on my stool.

Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Aros:
quote:

Whoa now. Stand down. We were talking about the 8-bit generation.

If we were talking about the hardest game ever, I would have started blabbling about Nethack until my drool lied in a pool on my stool.

I think Ninja Turtles on the NES was at least as hard as Battletoads.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/news/george-zimmerman-celebrity-boxing-match-confirmed-as-rapper-the-game-offers-to-fight-him-i-would-take-pleasure-in-it-9098750.html

zimmerman's Punch Out

Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"I think we've all been there, jobless with nothing but a bucket of hotdogs, a block of processed cheese, a van, an American flag, and a goddamn dream.

Or at least that was my initial impression. Since the campaign started, the guy has actually built his kitchen (look at the updates!), done some hotdog catering, set up his entire supply chain, and he appears to have his budget planned very well, albeit with the help of "How to Start a Hotdog Cart" eBooks. He's got a dream, man, and none of us and not even the devil himself is going to be able to stop him. Unlike a lot of crappy Kickstarters, I believe this is going to happen with or without our funding. This guy is Forrest Gump and his shrimping boat/hotdog stand might as well be built right next to the Field of Dreams. I don't mean to imply that he's an idiot, but that I admire his blind confidence and hotdog faith.

I come from Hipsterville where we only eat hotdogs ironically, as a joke, so that other people can look at us and say "Haha. That's hilarious. Let me take an Instagram of that. Imagine if you ate hotdogs and actually liked them." So this campaign touches me in ways both mystical and nostalgic. It makes me yearn for the days when I could eat bad food unironically and wear plaid because it's warm and because lumberjacks are cool, not because I'm trying to convey some dumb hidden message. Every time you eat a hotdog, you get to become a kid again for two minutes.

The hotdogs are hilarious, but I genuinely hate it when people get flak for "trying too hard." We badly need more people who try too hard. It's the most foolish insult to say, "I dislike you because I dislike effort." We are a generation of people who were told their entire lives by nurturing, caring, hippie parents they we are all geniuses. Every boy a wonderboy. Every child above average. But rare is a parent who doesn't care about test scores and IQs, but instead praises their kid only for trying and failing. Effort, man. Effort. That matters so much more than innate intelligence, than knowledge, than wit. You should try to do new things even when (hell, especially when) you think you will fail. This man is trying hard, with all his might, for an aspiration that isn't even lofty. It's humble man wanting for a reachable goal involving the most meager of foods in the tiniest of towns in the poorest of states.

Yeah, I'll be damned if I'm going to dislike a guy for trying too hard. It's apparent that he has turned to crowdfunding only because he has already put every spare dollar he owns into this business. I might not believe in the superior deliciousness of Doobie's hotdogs, but I want to believe in them. And I would eat one.

Another thing is that this appears to be a very small town where the median household income is 20 grand and the most prominent restaurant is a Subway. A hotdog stand, of all things, could affect real change there. It's a good story: The unfeeling internet hordes pulling together to fund a rural hotdog stand in Reform, Alabama. That is something I want to be part of. "Doobie's Dog House" is a name worthy of headlines. I want confused journalists to try to figure out what the **** happened, why it happened, and how they can possibly convey the idea of crowdfunding to their readers. It'll be like when CNN tries to explain memes. At the very least, this has the potential to make an entire town wonder about Something Awful. Someday, I would like to drive to Doobie's Dog House, eat a hotdog, and think of goons.

To finally answer your question about our motivations, it's definitely the third option. We are good and bad meats processed together and extruded as 6 foot tall tubes, both cynical and kind, complicated and salty. Goons are actual hotdogs. I pledged $25 for both entertainment and charity. If this works and there's a hungry Alabama goon who wants my hotdogs, they can have them. Just please take pictures so it's like a child sponsorship charity, only for meat tubes instead of impoverished children. If the Kickstarter fails, then I will have paid nothing and told a guy that I admire his efforts and his gumption."

goons power doobie's dog house (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/657642328/doobies-dog-house) to fruition

So, I contributed to this campaign and have been following Doobie on Facebook ever since. Doobie's Dog House opened last week, and has had an incredible amount of support from the local community. They had to close early on Saturday because they literally ran out of food to sell people. You can visit the Facebook Page to see some pictures of the place.

Incidentally, he's been more or less constantly harassed for half a year by people from the SA forums. Posting fake (bad) reviews of his establishment, posting racist and hateful messages on his page, and otherwise telling him he's a loser/failure/no good redneck, and disparaging him and his family. I honestly have no idea why they chose him to pick on, but I think it's despicable.

Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Incidentally, he's been more or less constantly harassed for half a year by people from the SA forums. Posting fake (bad) reviews of his establishment, posting racist and hateful messages on his page, and otherwise telling him he's a loser/failure/no good redneck, and disparaging him and his family.
which goons are these? I haven't seen what GBS has been up to since the rules revisit but prior to that, SA was a huge part in making doobie's dog house happen, and what i posted was, in fact, from SA. were some other goons trying to derail that? or did they get fed up with doobie's (frequent) ineptitude over things like hood installation
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

Other goons trying to derail it. You can go on and see the handful of comments that haven't been deleted if you want to see who.

FWIW, the dude managed to completely renovate his place of business, get a perfect score on his department of health inspection, build a business model, get contracts with Coca-Cola and other vendors, set up food delivery, build his own furniture/light fixtures, and have a grand opening within 7 months. And he did this with $14,000, doing most of the work and installation himself. Working another job on the side. That's not what I would call "inept". How many KS projects have a 7 month turnaround time?

Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

trust me, the doob had some .. rough spots in terms of being able to manage his business as a kickstarter return. it really almost got unrailed because he couldn't manage his own business model with even an outpouring of cash from SA and other sources.

he persevered though so i guess eat it haters. eat the delicious hotdogs

next up: RETURN ON STAR CITIZEN INVESTMENT?????? (??)

Dogbreath
Member # 11879

Eh, this may seem a little strange, but when I saw his poorly written Kickstarter - made by an impoverished man with an (at best) high school level education, I didn't think "here is a great business manager!" But despite any flaws, he managed to accomplish his goal. He owns literally the only locally owned restaurant in Reform. He's now self employed, and has a means of bringing his family up out of poverty. He's been talking about hiring an employee, so he has a means of employing at least one other person in his town. And he's located right on the highway so he's bringing in a significant amount of revenue, too. Most importantly, he actually accomplished everything he set out to do in his KS in (IMO) a reasonable amount of time, and managed to start a business that will dramatically improve his and his family's lives, as well as improve an entire community. All for $14,000. That's not too shabby. I really don't understand where all this intense hatred for the man is coming from.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

what intense hatred

all i'm seeing is just general low-level mockery akin to the Terrible Webcomics Thread

Dogbreath
Member # 11879

???

Look at some of the fake reviews, or how every announcement on his page harassing comments. Granted, the bad ones usually get deleted, but these pop up in my Facebook home from time to time. People mocking him and his wife. Calling him stupid. Making up lies about him and his restaurant. Keep in mind this is a public page, and most of the members are his friends and customers. They're directly attacking his ability to make a living with this "low-level mockery."

Samprimary
Member # 8561

i think i am failing to look in the right places. are these SA users confirming what they are doing somewhere i can check, or is this a case of Alleged Goon where we're talking about stuff offsite?
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite NES game to this day is still River City Rampage.

Gang War? Check.

Kidnapping? Check.

8 bit nudity? Check.

Beating rival gang members with trash cans, boxes, lead pipes, sticks, baseballs, and even other gang members? Check.

Going into a restaurant and getting a free smile? Check.

Flipping around with a move called "Astro Circus? YEP.

I still love that game. It wasn't hard, but so enjoyable. Which is why I donated to the kickstarter for River City Rampage 2.

The hardest NES games I have played? Ninja Gaiden, Battletoads, TMNT, and Low G man. I don't think I ever passed the second level of Low G man. I beat Battletoads, TMNT, and Ninja Gaiden a few times.

Supposedly the hardest NES game of all time is The Silver Surfer. From what I have heard nobody has legitimately been able to beat it yet.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

I will have to keep that one in mind as an actual decent game. The two local used stores have crap selections (well one of them didn't used to, I bought everything that they had that was worth owning). I prefer to support local businesses.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

boy today is going to be a long day
Samprimary
Member # 8561

SA-22
A Unipac (formerly 3M Cap-Seal) product. A facing consisting of a treated polyester film bonded to the paper side of paperbacked aluminum foil.

SA-66
Polyester film laminated to aluminum foil bonded to .035 pulp board. Application: Good barrier for shampoos, hand creams, mouthwashes or pharmaceutical products.

Safe-Gard 100
A Unipac (formerly 3M Cap-Seal) product. SG-100 has a two-piece welded construction with a tamper indicating feature. An innerseal which provides a fused, tamper indicating foil seal over the mouth of P/E containers. Safe-Gard 100 is preferred by the pharmaceutical industry for its "easy entry" feature. The SG-100 foil membrane is easily ruptured, a critical consideration for geriatric care. SG-100 is white lined pulpboard wax-bonded to an innerseal consisting of .001" aluminum foil with a .0015" heat sealable film. Typical packaging applications include innerseals for dry drink mixes, vitamins, over-the-counter drugs, etc. Equivalent liners: Selig FoilSeal 1-17, Sancap HS702, Tekniplex HS123.

Safe-Gard 101
A Unipac (formerly 3M Cap-Seal) product. SG-101 has a two-piece welded construction with a tamper indicating feature. It is the same as SG-100, but SG-101 is used on P/P containers. Commonly supplied as white lined pulpboard wax-bonded to an innerseal consisting of .001" aluminum foil with a .0015" heat sealable film. Typical packaging applications include innerseals for dry drink mixes, over-the-counter drugs, cosmetics, etc.

Safe-Gard 102
A Unipac (formerly 3M Cap-Seal) product. SG-102 has a two-piece welded construction with a tamper indicating feature. It is the same as SG-100, but SG-102 is used on P/S containers. It is designed to allow an easy push-through opening feature. SG-102 is composed of white lined pulpboard wax-bonded to .001" aluminum foil with a .002" heat sealable layer. Typical packaging applications include innerseals for dry products such as over-the-counter drugs.

Safe-Gard 105
A Unipac (formerly 3M Cap-Seal) product. A two piece peelable liner with an easy open feature. SG-105 provides a tamper indicating seal over the mouth of P/E and glass containers. It combines excellent barrier properties and an easily ruptured foil membrane. SG-105 is commonly supplied wax-bonded to .035" white lined pulpboard with a facing consisting of a .0015" polyolefin inomer coated on .0015" aluminum foil. SG-105 is ideal for OTC drugs, semi-solid spreads, peanut butter, drink mixes and salad dressings.

Safe-Gard 108
A Unipac (formerly 3M Cap-Seal) product. A one piece peelable liner with a tamper indicating feature. SG-108 provides a seal over the mouth of P/E, PVC, PET, P/P, P/S and ABS containers. It is a one piece innerseal with "clean peel" characteristics, making it ideal for use in dispenser, closure and pourable liquid applications. It features a broad sealing range, superior handling properties and excellent barrier characteristics for food applications requiring extended shelf life. Typical packaging applications include innerseals used in conjunction with dispensing closures on plastic containers of ketchup, mustard, relish, barbeque sauce, jelly, ice cream toppings, honey, etc. Other uses include OTC drugs, fruit juices, milk, water, glass cleaner, etc.

Safe-Gard 490
A Unipac (formerly 3M Cap-Seal) product. SG-490 is a two piece peelable innerseal. It provides a hermetic seal against leaks, contamination and oxidation on glass bottles.

Safe-Gard 602
A Unipac (formerly 3M Cap-Seal) product. When Safe-Gard 18EP is supplied as a facing only, it is called Safe-Gard 602. See Safe-Gard 18EP for composition and typical uses.

Safe-Gard 603
A Unipac (formerly 3M Cap-Seal) product. Safe-Gard 603 is a .003" aluminum foil version of the Safe-Gard 18EP facing. See Safe-Gard 18EP for composition and uses.

Safe-Gard 634
A one-piece variation of Safe-Gard 18EP which provides a peelable or strippable seal over the mouths of P/E, P/P, PVC, P/S and ABS containers. SG 634 is frequently used for pull-tab innerseal applications. It is also supplied as a two-piece innerseal, wax bonded to a .030" pulpboard backing, for applications where a high quality, chemically resistant closure liner must remain in the cap for re-seal purposes. See SG 18EP for composition. Uses include pull-tab innerseals on plastic milk, water and juice containers. If the tab is folded over inside the cap, another product, CAG Release Paper, can be used as a back-up liner to prevent the tab's heat-sealable surface from sealing to the inside of the cap. The two-piece version described in the paragraph above is used in packaging liquid drugs.

Safe-Gard 635
A one-piece variation of Safe Gard 18EP which provides a peelable or strippable seal over the mouths of P/E, P/P, PVC, P/S and ABS containers. Safe-Gard 635 is frequently used for pull-tab innerseal applications. See SG 18EP for technical information. SG 635 is commonly used as a pull-tab innerseal on plastic milk, water and juice containers. If the tab is folded over inside the cap, a companion product, CAG Release Paper, can be used as a back-up liner to prevent the heat-sealable surface on the tab from sealing to the inside of the cap.

Safe-Gard 75M
A Unipac (formerly 3M Cap-Seal) product. An innerseal which provides a fused, tamper indicating seal on P/E containers. It is designed for use in plastic closures. It is white lined pulpboard wax-bonded to an innerseal consisting of .001" aluminum foil with a .002" heat sealable polyester film. Safe-Gard 75M offers excellent chemical resistance and superior barrier properties as well as a tough durable seal. It has broad market acceptance for use with industrial chemicals, automotive products, pharmaceutical and food products. Typical packaging applications include innerseals for orange juice, patent drugs, windshield washer solution, anti-freeze, motor oil, household cleaners, insecticides, herbicides, etc.

Safe-Gard 90
A Unipac (formerly 3M Cap-Seal) product. An innerseal which provides a fused, tamper indicating foil seal over the mouth of PET and PVC containers. SG 90 is the industry standard for edible oils packaged in PVC containers. Safe-Gard 90 is white lined pulpboard wax-bonded to an innerseal consisting of .001" aluminum foil with a .005" heat sealable polyester film. It can be supplied as facing only. The excellent barrier properties and broad induction sealing range make this product ideal for applications in the food industry. Typical packaging applications include innerseals for vegetable oils, mouthwash, etc.

SAN
Styrene acrylonitrile. Thermoplastic copolymer with good stiffness, scratch, chemical and stress-crack resistance. Similar to general purpose polystrene except for improved impact resistance and barrier properties; increased rigidity and UV stability; natural straw color; transparent.

Saralene
Manufactured by SANCAP Liner Technology, Inc. Saralene is a white pigmented or clear vinylidene chloride-vinyl chloride copolymer film laminated to P/S foam on one side and P/E film on the other side. Color: White. Suggested product uses include after shave lotion, cold cream, cologne, deodorant (cream), glass wax, peroxide, poison ivy lotion, shampoo, concentrated coffee, corn oil, cough syrup, alcohol and fruit extracts.

Scoops
A wide variety is available, including P/P and P/E measuring scoops, PET powder scoops and P/P double-end scoops.

Screw-Thread Vial
A vial with a very short neck and an outside screw-thread finish.

Sealing Discs
Various sizes to fit most single and double wall jars, and cosmetic cases. Options include embossing and with or without tabs.

Sealing Surface
That portion of a glass or plastic container finish which will make contact with the interior liner of the cap to effect the seal.

Seam on Top/Side of Finish
A finish defect. A fin of glass across the top or the side of the finish.

Seamless
Made in one piece without a joint.

Sept Seal
Manufactured by SANCAP Liner Technology, Inc. SEPT SEAL is a backing material to which facings are laminated in the manufacture of duplex liners. Is is a heat sealable film coated with P/E.

Serum Vial
A vial having a neck with a relatively small opening to receive a rubber plug stopper and aluminum seal.

SFYP
When pressure sensitive or heat induction liners are printed with the words "SEALED FOR YOUR PROTECTION".

Shape
In RapidFind, Shape is one of the search criteria. In the Glass and Plastic product types, Shape refers to the shape of the bottom of the container. Shape is not a search criteria in the Closure product type.

Shear Marks
A general defect. C-shaped marks making a definite line in the glass.

Sheeting
Polyethylene, rubber, Lexan, and acrylic sheeting.

Shelfline
A line of glass containers (used by drug and chemical companies) that was designed to give the packer specific advantages on label space, maximum size, appearance and easy pouring, combining the best features of Boston Round and F-style containers.

Shell Vial
A cylindrical container, usually made of glass, characterized by having straight sides, being neckless, and having a flat bottom. Made by sealing one end of a glass tube of appropriate diameter and length.

Shingling
Solvents leaching through a plastic container.

Shoulder
(1) That part of a container between the main body and the neck. (2) That portion of a closure immediately adjacent to and including the corner where top and skirt join. (3) In a can, an off-set on a straight side to act as a stop or support.

Shoulder Check
A shoulder defect. A check which is shallow and in the surface, usually wavy in appearance.

Shrink Bands
Stock and custom sizes of PVC and PETG shrink bands, including tamper evident, seamless and seamed bands, cellulose self-sealing bands and Viscose Celon shrink bands. Options include printing and color decoration.

Shrink Labels & Bands
Pre-decorated plastic sleeves that are slipped over the container and heated until they conform to the surface of the container. Same principle as the sleeve label, but superior for odd and small shapes.

Sicocote 250A
A SANCAP Liner Technology product. White paper PVDC - polyethylene. Sicocote 250A is a construction of white pigmented P/E and polyvinylidene chloride (PVDC) on a bleached Kraft paper. Color: White. Suggested product uses include concentrated coffee, corn oil, fruit extract, alcohol, after shave lotion, cold cream, cologne, cough syrup, cream deodorant, glass wax, starch, poison ivy lotion and radiator compound.

Sicocote 255A
A SANCAP Liner Technology product. White paper - polyethylene PVDC. Sicocote 255A is a construction of white P/E and polyvinylidene (PVDC) on a bleached Kraft paper. Color: Bleach Kraft Paper. Suggested product uses include after shave lotion, cold cream, cologne, cough syrup, hand soap, hair shampoo, concentrated coffee, glass wax, fruit extract, syrup and vinegar.

Sicocote 260
A SANCAP Liner Technology product. Natural Kraft paper PVCD polyethylene. Sicocote 260 is a construction of clear P/E and polyvinylidene chloride (PVDC) on a natural Kraft paper. Color: Natural. Suggested product uses include after shave lotion, cold cream, cologne, cough syrup, hand soap, poison ivy lotion, hair shampoo, alcohol, concentrated coffee, corn oil, syrup, fruit extract, vinegar and radiator compound.

Sicocote 265
A SANCAP Liner Technology product. Natural Kraft paper - polyethylene - PVDC. Sicocote 265 is a construction of clear P/E and polyvinlidene chloride (PVDC) on a natural Kraft paper. Color: Natural. Suggested product uses include after shave lotion, cold cream, cologne, cough syrup, hand soap, poison ivy lotion, hair shampoo, concentrated coffee, corn oil, fruit extract, syrup, vinegar and radiator compound.

Sicocote 417
A SANCAP Liner Technology product. Paper-backed aluminum foil with a heavy Saran coating. Sicocote 417 consists of a paper-backed aluminum foil with two coatings applied - a vinyl first coat and a saran second (top) coat. Color: White. Suggested product uses include after shave lotion, astringent, baby cream, beauty cream, cologne, deodorant stick, hair cream, hair shampoo, antacid liquids, mineral oil, floor cleaner and polish, furniture cleaner and polish, waxing compound and auto cleaner and polish.

Sicocote 470
A SANCAP Liner Technology product. Saran coated white paper. Sicocote 470 is a pigmented copolymer vinylidene chloride-acrylonitrile coating on a suitably primed white paper. Color: White. Suggested product uses include concentrated coffee, cottage cheese, mayonnaise, mustard, salad dressing, wine, cough syrup, mineral oil, liquid shoe polish, floor cleaner, hair dye, pine oil disinfectant and liquid shoe polish.

Sicocote 700
A SANCAP Liner Technology product. Paper-backed polyethylene coated aluminum foil. Sicocote 700 is a paper-backed aluminum foil coated with a white pigmented P/E. Color: White. Suggested product uses include after shave lotion, cologne, cream deodorants, cough syrup, olives, pickles, automotive polish, bleaching fluid, brake fluid, rubber cement, disinfectant, furniture polish, paint and solvents.

Sicocote 708
A SANCAP Liner Technology product. Paper-backed vinyl coated aluminum foil, with a slightly heavier coating of vinyl than Sicofoil. Sicocote 708 is a paper-backed aluminum foil liner coated with a pigmented vinyl chloride-acetate copolymer applied as a two coat system. Color: White. Suggested product uses include after shave lotion, astringent, facial cream, cream deodorant, hair cream, shampoo, antacid preparations, floor cleaner, bleach, liquid detergent, mustard, vegetable oil and whiskey.

Sicofoam
Manaufactured by SANCAP Liner Technology, Inc. Sicofoam is a backing material to which facings are laminated in the manufacture of duplex liners. It is a P/E foam which is extruded to the thickness desired.

Sicofoil
A SANCAP Liner Technology product. Paper-backed vinyl coated aluminum foil. Sicofoil is a paper-backed aluminum foil liner coated with a pigmented solution of vinyl chloride-acetate copolymer. Color: White. Suggested product uses include after shave lotion, astringent, baby cream, beauty cream, deodorant stick, hair cream, shampoo, cleaners and polishes, waxing compound and vegetable oil.

Sicoran WS
A SANCAP Liner Technology product. White pigmented Saran film on white paper. Sicoran WS is a white pigmented vinylidene chloride - vinyl chloride copolymer film mounted on white Kraft paper. Color: White. Suggested product uses include after shave lotion, cold cream, cologne, cough syrup, cream deodorant, hand soap, poison ivy lotion, hair shampoo, tincture of iodine, alcohol, concentrated coffee, corn oil, fruit extract, glass wax, starch and radiator compound.

Sifter Fitment
A plastic or metal component of a package designed to allow shaking out of dry products, as with a table salt shaker. Snaps over bead, with metal or plastic cap applied over the fitment.

Silkscreening
A method of printing in which the ink is forced through a design on a taut screen, made of nylon, wire, or other tough screen material, onto the container to be printed. This method can be applied to closures, liners and most containers regardless of shape or size.

Size
In SourceBase, Size is one of the search criteria. In the Glass and Plastic product types, Size refers to the nominal capacity of a bottle or jar. The nominal capacity is the intended capacity of the container. It is expressed in fluid ounces (oz), gallons (gal), milliliters (ml), drams, etc. In the Closure product type, Size refers to the outside diameter of a bottle or jar's neck finish, including the threads. The size is usually designated in millimeters (mm).

Skirt
The vertical part of a closure below the shoulder.

Sleeve Label
A decorated, plastic label made into a tubular form that fits over and on plastic bottles.

Slip Cap
(1) A metal closure with indentations on its sides to make a friction fit on a vial with a slip-cap finish. (2) A closure made of soft material such as polyethylene or rubber, without threads, to be pushed over the tip or neck of a container and held in place by friction.

Snap Top
The most prevalent hinged closure. This closure features a spud and orifice design that is sanitary and self cleaning to prevent clogging. It is available in a wide range of orifice sizes. The snap type can also be designed with an off center spout to direct product flow. The pour spout can be easily lined with a variety of heat sealed materials to ensure product freshness.

SoftSeal 200
Foamed EVA core with top and bottom layers of .002" thick low density polyethylene.

Solid Poly
Solid low density polyethylene.

Source-Certified
Within the context of raw material use, source-certified refers to materials that have been certified through programs run by organizations including, but not limited to, the Forest Stewardship Council and the Sustainable Forestry Initiative.

Sourcing
Sourcing, as used in the indicator definitions, refers to and includes all of the functions involved in the growth, harvest or extraction and processing or raw materials and the collection and processing of recycled and reused materials.

Space Saver
Refers to any pharmaceutical package such as the shelfline or blake style bottle which, because of it rectangular shape, takes up less storage space on the druggist's shelf.

Spatulas
Varieties for the cosmetics, pharmaceutical, food and laboratory markets.

Specimen Mailers
Fiberboard, paper screw-cap and aluminum specimen mailers.

Spike
A bottom defect. A small projection of glass in the center of the bottom of the container.

Spin Welding
A process of fusing two objects together by forcing them together while one of the pair is spinning, until frictional heat melts the interface. Spinning is then stopped and pressure held until they are "frozen" together.

Split Finish
A finish defect. A finish which has a crack, or split, across the top surface, extending from the top of the finish downward.

Spray Frosting
The technique of spray coating a glass container to create a frosted, matte translucent appearance.

Sprayers
Trigger, finger-tip, pump, continuous spray and metering sprayers, hose-end sprayers for lawn and garden, and compressed air sprayers. Different types of decoration are available, including silk-screen and hot stamp decoration.

SS
In plastic bottle manufacturing, silkscreen decoration. Also S/S.

ST-25P
A 3M Cap-Seal product. PVDC coated paper closure liner material that offers good resistance to chemicals, excellent resistance to brine solutions and vegetable oils, and offers very low moisture vapor and gas transmission rates. ST-25P imparts no taste or odor to the sealed product. The waxed version provides increased protection for products such as salad dressing and mayonnaise. ST-25P is a natural kraft tan color. Typical packaging applications include closure liners for citrus fruit extracts, pickles, vegetable oils, mayonnaise, salad dressings and powdered milk, as well as for anti-perspirants, alcoholic beverages, volatile disinfectants, etc.

Stabilizer
An ingredient used in the formulation of some plastics, especially elastomers, to assist in maintaining the physical and chemical properties of the compounded materials at their initial values throughout the processing and service life of the materials.

Stacker Cap
A closure designed specifically to nest with the bottom plate of a container to facilitate the stacking of filled containers on top of each other.

Stakeholders
As defined in the Global Reporting Initiative Guidelines, stakeholders are individuals or organizations with a legitimate interest in a given situation, action or enterprise. For performance measurement purposes, stakeholders are broadly defined as those groups or individuals; 1) who can be reasonably expected to be affected by an organization's activities, products and/or services; or 2) whose actions can reasonably be expected to affect the ability of the organization to effectively implement its strategies and achieve its objectives.

STC
Single trip container.

Stelvin(R)
The Stelvin(R) neck finish can be found on some glass wine bottles. It is a screw thread finish designed to accommodate the Stelvin(R) closure, an aluminium cap with a tamper evident breakaway band. Offers product preservation, a modern look and practicality. Offered by Alcan Packaging (Pechiney).

Stencils
Stencil kits and stenciling systems for a wide range of applications, including safety and maintenance.

Sterilization
Gamma irradiation, ethylene oxide, and electron beam sterilization. Installation of sterilization systems available for companies requiring in-house processing. Sterilizing cleaners and sterilized tests also available.

Stippling
A decoration consisting of a system of closely spaced small raised dots on the outer surface of a container or closure.

Stones
A general defect. Small inclusions of refractory or unmelted batch materials.

Stopper
A solid, cork-shaped, ground-to-fit plug used to seal some bottles.

Stoppers, Rubber
Laboratory quality, micro, and corrosion resistant stoppers.

Storage Life
The period of time during which a product can be stored under specified temperature conditions and remain suitable for use. Sometimes called shelf life or working life.

Stress Cracking
The susceptibility of a thermoplastic article to cracking or crazing under the influence of certain chemicals and stress. Frequently accelerated by the environment to which the plastic is exposed. The stresses which cause cracking may be present internally or externally or may be combinations of both.

Stressed Water Sources
The term "stressed source" or "stressed Watershed" refers to sources of water where the draw down rate is greater than the recharge rate. On a regional basis, stressed sources of water cannot provide enough water for all uses - Agricultural, industrial and domestic - due to depletion of water quantity and/or quality. The UN Commission on Sustainable Development suggests that water sources are stressed when freshwater resources fall below 1000-1500 cubic meters per capita per year.

Striation
In plastic bottle manufacturing, a longitudinal line in the parison or bottle due to a disturbance in the melt path.

Strip Mold
Mold action in the manufacture of closures: After the injection cycle is completed, the cavity is removed and the stripper sleeve moves forward forcing the closure to flare and strip over the core.

Style
In RapidFind, Style is one of the search criteria. In the Glass and Plastic product types, Style can refer to standard industry names, such as Cylinder, Boston Round, F-Style, Modern Round, Wide Mouth (W/M) Jar, etc. If a name is not standard industry-wide, Style refers to the sides of the bottle, i.e., straight sided, tapered, etc. In the Closure product type, Style designates standard industry names. If a closure has threads, the Style is Continuous Thread. Other Styles include Dispensing, Child Resistant Closure (CRC), etc.

Styrene Acrylonitrile
Similar to general purpose polystyrene except for improved impact resistance and barrier properties; increased rigidity and UV stability; natural straw color; transparent. Also see SAN.

Sunken Shoulder
A shoulder defect. A shoulder which is not fully blown.

SureSeal 200
Foamed low density polyethylene core with top and bottom layers of .002" thick low density polyethylene.

SureSeal 300
Solid EVA. The last two digits in the 300 series number indicate the percentage of vinyl acetate in the EVA.

SureSeal 400
Solid blend of low density polyehtylene and polyisobutylene. The last two digits in the 400 series number indicate the percentage of polyisobutylene in the blend.

SureSeal 500
Foamed low density polyethylene core with top and bottom layers of .002" thick high density polyethylene.

SureSeal 600
Foamed low density polyethylene core with top and bottom layers of .002" thick polypropylene.

SureSeal 700
Core is a proprietary blend of foamed polyolefins. Top and bottom layers are .002" thick low density polyethylene.

Surface Treating
Any method of treating the surface of a plastic item to accept inks, paints, adhesives and chemical, flame and electronic treating.

Sustainability (Corporate)*
Sustainability in the corporate sector encompasses strategies and practices that aim to meet the needs of stakeholders today while seeking to protect, support and enhance the human and natural resources that will be needed in the future.
*Numerous definitions of sustainability exist and increasingly organizations are customizing definitions of sustainability to incorporate the broadly accepted principles of the concept (i.e., a blending of economic, environmental and social concerns) with their own specific visions, goals and objectives. The definition provided here is intended to be generic and illustrative of the basic principle.

Sustainable
Process or state that can be maintained at a certain level indefinitely, to provide the best outcomes for the human and natural environments both now and into the indefinite future.

Sustainable Packaging System
A target vision for companies to strive for packaging that can be transformed into a cradle to cradle flow of packaging materials in a system that is economically robust and provides benefit throughout its life cycle. Sustainable packaging that is:

Beneficial, safe and healthy for individuals and communities throughout its life cycle;
Meets market criteria for performance and cost;
Sourced, manufactured, transported and recycled using renewable energy;
Maximizes use of renewable or recycled source materials;
Manufactured using clean production technologies and best practices;
Made from materials healthy in all probably end-of-life scenarios;
Physically designed to optimize materials and energy;
Effectively recovered and utilized in biological or industrial cradle to cradle cycles.

SW-25P
A 3M Cap-Seal product. PVDC coated paper closure liner material with good resistance to chemicals, excellent resistance to brine solutions and vegetable oils, and very low moisture vapor and gas transmission rates. SW-25P imparts no taste or odor to the sealed product. The waxed version of this paper provides increased protection for products such as mayonnaise and salad dressings. SW-25P is white in color. Some typical packaging applications include closure liners for citrus fruit extracts, pickles, vegetable oils, mayonnaise, salad dressings and powdered milk, as well as for anti-perspirants, alcoholic beverages, volatile disinfectants, etc.

Swabs, Medical
Cotton and foam swabs.

Syringes
Varieties include a dual syringe with snap-off nozzle tip, and specialty syringes with various tips for a wide variety of applications, including infant care, feeding small animals or birds, and applying glues, dyes, lotions, resins and inks.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

*kickflips through wall, lands on neck*
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

What on Earth is all that Samprimary?
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

I was wondering if I should whistle it....
Samprimary
Member # 8561

no, no, something better to whistle would be this:
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Hello to Hatrack website, I am to take great interest in message you have, to which respond is Get Childhood Stationary Memories for best home Stationary only $5.99 generic
Samprimary
Member # 8561

get Best unencrypted US military wireless in Jamaica
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
What on Earth is all that Samprimary?

today's adventures in the tricorbraun encyclopedia of packaging terminology wthb34tuh435puhsw;pfh
Samprimary
Member # 8561

I also tried to beat battletoads recently. Didn't end well.
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, the ending of battle toads is a bit unsatisfying, but that is how i feel when most games get beat
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

more than that it's just a ridiculously over the top example of when games didn't really have adequate playtesting

i mean you'd think that they would be like 'ok so all the actual kids who come in to play our game can't get past the racetrack and so they don't ever see 80% of our game this is a problem right?'

Marek
Member # 5404

the bike race was always a problem, and i always dropped a bunch of lives in that pit where they lower you down on ropes
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

Also Hamburgers are totally sandwiches, they are the sandwiches of liberty!
Samprimary
Member # 8561

because they're german right
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Marek:
the bike race was always a problem, and i always dropped a bunch of lives in that pit where they lower you down on ropes

Playing that game on "co-op", it was pretty much impossible not to turn that level into a back and forth game to see who could "wrecking ball" the other person to death the most.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

quote:
Originally posted by ricree101:
quote:
Originally posted by Marek:

Playing that game on "co-op", it was pretty much impossible not to turn that level into a back and forth game to see who could "wrecking ball" the other person to death the most.
Yeah, the answer to who, was always my brother, hence it costs me many lives. I miss that game
Samprimary
Member # 8561

"co op"
Samprimary
Member # 8561

you fools
Samprimary
Member # 8561

so re: title is it just me or is half the country straight demented on the subject of Berghdal's release

I am getting a MAJOR vibe of "If Obama does it, it is therefore wrong" from it

kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. Half the country is demented. They didn't seem to be demented until the President did it and then they became demented.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Eh. WHile the strength of the ire is no doubt fueled by that for many people, there are legit questions about whether or not it should have been done at all-prisoner exchanges being tricky and all that-and if so, whether it should have been done for this particular soldier (I am not well informed about him, though, and unless he had actually deserted and this can be proven, then it being done for him specifically wouldn't be a thing for me), and particularly whether or not the President has or ought to have the authority to do this on their own.

Not that reluctance to exercise executive authority has exactly been a hallmark of either of Obama's terms, but even so.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
Yep. Half the country is demented. They didn't seem to be demented until the President did it and then they became demented.

i am really just getting the sense that what obama did re: berghdal is something they had been asking obama to do before and stuff they had been fine with when republican presidents did it, but suddenly it's traitorous impeachable OUTRAGE, because obama should have left an american to have his desertion trial handled by the taliban or whatever (???). i mean it seems so demonstrably clear that i'm just lost as to whether i should take the critics of this action seriously or just flip them off
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
You mean like how Democrats were outraged at executive overreach and militarism in the Bush Administration, but there is hardly a peep when it comes to widespread drone strikes and assassinations?

Eh. To me, foreign policy and campaign finance really are two of the areas of equivalence between the two parties.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure where you are listening if you are hearing hardly a peep when it comes to drones. Most of the lefty columnists that I read are pretty furious about it and have been for some time.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 9506

- posted      Profile for 777           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, see, America is clearly the Supreme Good in this world. The rest of the world = bad, America = good; everyone agrees with that, especially since we beat the Bad Guys (i.e. everyone else) in World War II. We'll show the Bad Guys again who's boss as soon as Obama leaves office, because Obama is a bad guy from Kenya. He got elected because liberals.

The problem with Bergdahl is that he was originally a good guy but then he became a Bad Guy because he changed his opinion of America. Especially while serving in the military.

This is as Bad as it gets.

Posts: 292 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 20 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  18  19  20   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.