FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Do it. DO IT. Yesterday is, tomorrow, or .. something? DOOO ITTT, dreams? DO IT. (Page 11)

This topic comprises 20 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  18  19  20   
Author Topic: Do it. DO IT. Yesterday is, tomorrow, or .. something? DOOO ITTT, dreams? DO IT.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
the gladius wasn't a 'great cutting weapon' — i mean, it was certainly okay at it but it isn't weighted or shaped to be good at it and it certainly wasn't designed around swings and slashes.

That's okay though because how you were trained to use it (stabs and thrusts from stomach level) was better and more useful most of the time anyway

the katana wasn't exactly a great cutting weapon either (suboptimal weight distribution, draws too much, heavy) but it is considered a 'great cutting weapon' because it certainly was not a great thrusting weapon.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JanitorBlade:
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
quote:
Originally posted by JanitorBlade:
The Desert Eagle is a terrible handgun however, unless you are playing a video game, in which case it's the only handgun you need.

Agreed. I've never used one in real life, but it's pretty awesome in Rainbow Six: Vegas 2. I doubt any real-life handgun would be so great at getting head shots from long range.
They are the best pistol in Counterstrike and Left 4 Dead 1 | 2 as well.
Also in the great Rogue Spear of olde it squared off against the HK USP .45 as the best pistol to carry in your kit.

there is probably a wide list of games in which the .50 is the best pistol, but a much wider game in which katana is bestest ever

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
The Desert Eagle was also one of the best games in Golden Eye on the Nintendo 64...Especially the "Golden Deagle"
Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
the gladius wasn't a 'great cutting weapon' — i mean, it was certainly okay at it but it isn't weighted or shaped to be good at it and it certainly wasn't designed around swings and slashes.

That's okay though because how you were trained to use it (stabs and thrusts from stomach level) was better and more useful most of the time anyway

the katana wasn't exactly a great cutting weapon either (suboptimal weight distribution, draws too much, heavy) but it is considered a 'great cutting weapon' because it certainly was not a great thrusting weapon.

My understanding of the katana is that it's a huge razor blade, and if used correctly, not just with slashes but a slash and pull movement, it's basically the best cutting blade short of a light saber.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
it's basically the best cutting blade short of a light saber.

Then it must be pretty awful.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

- posted      Profile for Aros           Edit/Delete Post 
I was reading an article about it. The synopsis is this:
- Sword fighting styles were developed around the strengths and weaknesses of each blade.
- Most major blades have both strengths and weaknesses.
- The styles evolved to exploit strengths and minimize weaknesses.
- The katana style and blade are both some of the most highly evolved in Asian history.

The article made an argument that used with (approximately) six inch cutting depth overhead slashes, against a minimally armored opponent, it can be very effective. But it is mostly a Pokemon argument. Fire beats grass but loses against water. It just depends on who you're fighting and the circumstances surrounding your brawl.

Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

quote:
Originally posted by theamazeeaz:
quote:

Whatever. Lightsabers are awesome. They're not real (yet), but they're awesome.
Posts: 1204 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/01/ralph/gun-review-magnum-research-iwi-desert-eagle-mark-xix-50ae/

So, the Desert Eagle is terrible from a perspective of practicality. But it sure sounds like fun.

What's the goal of a gun, short of zombie apocalypse anyway? Sounds like a good choice, if you can afford the ammo.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by Geraine:
The Desert Eagle was also one of the best games in Golden Eye on the Nintendo 64...Especially the "Golden Deagle"

there was no deagle or golden deagle in n64 and the best pistols aside from the goldens/silvers was the DD44 Dostovei and the Cougar Magnum. The Cougar Magnum was based off of probably the Ruger Blackhawk which i am not sure but probably can be counted as a beastlier weapon than the desert eagle 50
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Aros:
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/01/ralph/gun-review-magnum-research-iwi-desert-eagle-mark-xix-50ae/

So, the Desert Eagle is terrible from a perspective of practicality. But it sure sounds like fun.

What's the goal of a gun, short of zombie apocalypse anyway? Sounds like a good choice, if you can afford the ammo.

If you just want something to shoot for fun and can afford the ammo then yes, it's an interesting gun. Though I would argue that a .22 can be even more fun and a fraction of the cost.

For any actual combat or defense uses, it's junk. Too big, too heavy, too much recoil, unreliable, unobtainable ammo, on and on and on. Sure it would be better than nothing, I'd take it over a stick but I'd rather have a good .22. For an experienced shooter, a good old .45 is tough to beat. For the less experienced, 9mm is the way to go.

Also keep in mind that in any combat or Zombie situation, a pistol should be a back-up. You really want a rifle or shotgun as your primary weapon and why would you want your back-up weapon to be the biggest, heaviest one around? It would be like a heavy machine gunner dragging around a six foot, two handed broadsword as his pocket knife.

Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
I really miss playing that game.
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

- posted      Profile for Elison R. Salazar   Email Elison R. Salazar         Edit/Delete Post 
I always wanted to get a mosin-nagant myself. Cheap, easy to maintain, easy to get the bullets for, and pretty practical all around.

Followed up by an AK.

Posts: 12931 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

That's my point. They're. Not. Real.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

quote:
quote:

there was no deagle or golden deagle in n64 and the best pistols aside from the goldens/silvers was the DD44 Dostovei and the Cougar Magnum. The Cougar Magnum was based off of probably the Ruger Blackhawk which i am not sure but probably can be counted as a beastlier weapon than the desert eagle 50
I was thinking of the Dostovei...

http://jamesbond.wikia.com/wiki/Desert_Eagle

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geraine
Member # 9913

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Think again!

http://www.webpronews.com/real-lightsaber-science-has-made-star-wars-reality-2013-09

Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
quote:
quote:

I was thinking of the Dostovei...

http://jamesbond.wikia.com/wiki/Desert_Eagle

The DD44 dostovei was not based on the desert eagle. it was based on a russian pistol called the tokarev.
Marek
Member # 5404

now if only we knew what the golden gun was based on...
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

quote:
Originally posted by Marek:

In the novel, it's just a gold plated .45 revolver, nothing all that special. Movie gun was a bit different [Big Grin]
Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Think again!

http://www.webpronews.com/real-lightsaber-science-has-made-star-wars-reality-2013-09

quote:
There is no mention of turning this new tool into a weapon in comparison with the lightsaber in Star Wars, but Lukin also suggests the breakthrough could one day lead to technologies that allow for the creation of complex 3D structures, like crystals, made out of light.
Uh, from what I can tell about the article, if you shoot lasers at cold rubidium atoms, they stick together.
Marek
Member # 5404

quote:
Originally posted by Wingracer:
quote:

In the novel, it's just a gold plated .45 revolver, nothing all that special. Movie gun was a bit different [Big Grin]
I always forget there were novels of Bond, and it has been a long time since I've seen the movie, tho I meant the game since most of theirs were modeled on real ones. But the Golden Gun doesn't seem to be. Then again I know very little about real guns.

Are the novels very good?

Mr. Y
Member # 11590

- posted      Profile for Mr. Y   Email Mr. Y         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got 'REPLICA' written on the blade of my katana... [Big Grin]
Posts: 1100 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

The novels are good. But "book Bond" and "movie Bond" are very different creatures.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Y:
I've got 'REPLICA' written on the blade of my katana

best post in thread imo
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Uh, from what I can tell about the article, if you shoot lasers at cold rubidium atoms, they stick together. [/QB]
no force attuned crystals, not a lightsaber

also *pushes glasses up nose* i DO believe portability is at issue with this supposed cutting weapon.

JanitorBlade
Administrator
Member # 12343

- posted      Profile for JanitorBlade   Email JanitorBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Y:
I've got 'REPLICA' written on the blade of my katana... [Big Grin]

I need to watch that movie again.
Posts: 1194 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Wingracer:
quote:

I always forget there were novels of Bond, and it has been a long time since I've seen the movie, tho I meant the game since most of theirs were modeled on real ones. But the Golden Gun doesn't seem to be. Then again I know very little about real guns.

Are the novels very good?

The movie gun was a single shot pistol assembled from disguised parts. The barrel was a gold pen, other parts included a gold cigarette case, lighter and cufflinks for the trigger.

My dad was a fan of the novels but I only ever read like one or two and that was a LONG time ago. I think I might have been 8 at the time (40 now).

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I picked up the Bond novels -- all of them -- when Amazon had a Kindle sale a few years back. Some of them are quite good, while others are awesomely terrible. Only a couple are outright dull.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aros
Member # 4873

TomDavidson: Is this in regard to the entire main series? Or just the Fleming-written novels? I've only read the Fleming novels, and they were consistently good (IMO). They're a little light and fluffy, but I don't remember a lull in the action.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The Fleming ones, sorry; I don't consider the others to be Bond novels.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

Yeah they start getting pretty bad. I stopped reading after that one in the series where Bond has become a giant immortal worm who spends all his time killing Duncan Idahos.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

boy ron lambert, reshpeckobiggle, and capax sure left us hanging on some good questions huh

what a suuuurpriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiise

Samprimary
Member # 8561

http://i.imgur.com/PL4y8uS.gif

whatever here's a picture what's happening everybody

capaxinfiniti
Member # 12181

- posted      Profile for capaxinfiniti           Edit/Delete Post 
What's the "good" question I didn't answer?
Posts: 570 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Put down the paddles and step away from the thread.

It's time to call it.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by capaxinfiniti:
Oh yeah. I'm aware. Thanks for clarifying. I think there are quite a few people who are mad but now some people will be less mad, including those who are opposed to his remarks but enjoy the show.

quote:
are you opposed to his remarks

Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Put down the paddles and step away from the thread.

It's time to call it.

don't make me turn this into the next last post thread
Aros
Member # 4873

It isn't already? <looks around and shrugs>
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Sherlock was terrible. Discuss.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Like, the show? Or the most recent episode?
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
The recent premiere. It was so funny and I wanted so much to like it, but I feel like the writers failed to tell anything resembling a coherent story.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

i could see either argument. i mean i loved watching the first two seasons but rewatches are kind of tedious especially that ~mystic asians~ and their ~mystic asian secret society of asia~ episode yeesh
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
i could see either argument. i mean i loved watching the first two seasons but rewatches are kind of tedious especially that ~mystic asians~ and their ~mystic asian secret society of asia~ episode yeesh

Hey. They had those back then! They died out along with everything else during the Cultural Revolution. [Wink]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by PSI Teleport:
The recent premiere. It was so funny and I wanted so much to like it, but I feel like the writers failed to tell anything resembling a coherent story.

It was an unapologetic nod to fanficcers. Not my favorite, but given it's self awareness I don't mind it. The next two are better.
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

I thought you were talking about How I Met Your Mother.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Sam- Yeesh, indeed. I keep blocking that one out.

Lyrhawn- I definitely recognized the fan-service, for lack of a better word. And who wouldn't, considering how many characters Sherlock makes out with? But I think I would have appreciated it more if it weren't this particular episode. The Moriarty cliffhanger was so emotional, and I just feel like they should have respected how much of themselves the audience had invested in it. And I think almost all humor works better if, as I said, the story follows something like a coherent path.

That said, they're good writers and I'm looking forward to the next episode. I expected it to be better than the premiere, so I'm glad to hear that it will be.

theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
The next two episodes are better. After watching everything twice and then reading a few breakdown/theory posts, I'm tentatively excited about the next season. It will all depend on whether the subtle clues in this season were deliberate or not. If the next season builds on them and is great, then it will retroactively make this one amazing.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

i'm over here being super crippled and awfully ill and most of the time all i can do is halfheartedly browse while on my side and nobody's posting anything, argh, post more

i don't have the energy (or the fine motor control) to spur on contentious debate anymore, someone else has to carry the pitchforks for me.

well i guess i could try

uhh, firefly sucks, you're dumb and inferior if you own a gaming console, sherlock is terrible and benedict cumberbatch has a sissy voice and is totally ugly, and this forum should have large avatars and signatures

Samprimary
Member # 8561

.. something ... mormon ... jello, lol
Marek
Member # 5404

Jello is good, and should not have bananas in it. That's just wasteful
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Sugar-free pudding tastes like regular pudding. I found this out just before I threw away all the other cups because I don't eat sugar-free stuff.
  This topic comprises 20 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  18  19  20   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.