Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 51)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  48  49  50  51  52  53  54  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: Random musings.
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! Beat you to the punch this time, Mr Skadder. Post 2500 (Woo-Hoo)

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
How did this thread get so violent? With 2 kinds of hamster killers and beatings and punchings. I guess this is called urban decay, once a thread gets old enough it gets taken over by violent factions.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
There are press reports about some guy in Ohio who used to go 'round killing neighborhood animals, but has been picked up when he advanced to people...the whole thing seems so unbearably disgusting, actually...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Had an uncle on my father's side who had the nasty habit of "hurting" small animals. From what I understand, things got progressively worse as he apparently was extremely violent on the high school football field (he was a big guy). Also, from what I understand, he was taken to a doctor and they "operated on his brain".

Partial lobotomies do work as he was one of the gentlest (and dullest) people I've known.

That's all true, by the way. My stepmother recounted this stuff to me later.

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a neighborhood near me that had a string of cat mutilations, and so they were trying to find the psycho before they moved up to humans. It went on for weeks, the neighborhood was in an absolute panic. Finally they set cameras up all over the place. They had another cat mutilation so they looked at the tape . . . it was a fox that had moved into the neighborhood and was exerting it's territory.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
I had two sets of hamsters in my childhood, both ended up dead before their time.

The first wasn't may fault but the second was. My mom said I could never have another hamster after the second.

I have also killed several fish.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I have this thing where, if I take a sudden intense like and interest in someone's work, they drop dead within the week. So far, this has killed two science fiction writers and Elvis Presley.

This is probably why most of the writers I really really like are really really dead...

(Don't mention it to those Elvis worshippers---no sense of humor.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Satate, I am right there with you on the fish thing - I can't seem to keep them alive. Change the water, don't change the water, change the filter, don't change the filter, add ammonium diluters, but not too much. It's a pain just to keep them alive!

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
They are hard. When we moved I didn't know I had to use the tank water when putting them in bags and before we were out the door the fish were floating upside down. They were my first fish.

I still feel bad about the hamsters. I only wanted them to be able to feel the sun and not be so chilly.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DRaney
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched an old man bent over a cane helping an old but younger man in a wheelchair. Together they accomplished what neither could have done alone. Humbling.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

And wishing you and yours a Merry Thanksgiving!
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Thanksgiving!!
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I was so busy yesterday I couldn't get near this site. Got up for work. Overtime. Going out shopping---to the grocery store (or the supermarket, for you more modern types). Coming back and macheteing through some of my regular list of websites (mostly online comics). Breaking off to dine on leftover turkey.

Then to bed, late, only to start all over again five hours later.

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

A lot of angels are laughing today.
EP Kaplan
Member # 5688

- posted      Profile for EP Kaplan   Email EP Kaplan         Edit/Delete Post 
Kinda ranting on here, but whatever. Don't mind me.

Lost my job recently, only to have my employer lie to UI about why. Thanks to new laws in NJ, I was denied benefits for two months, which means I missed all those nice sales that I usually use to buy gifts for everyone. At least Chanukah candles still retail for a buck and change. Which, of course, prompts the question, who knowingly picks a seemingly unwinnable legal battle with a Jew? Especially when I mention in court that they once refused to let me have off for one of our infamous 25 hour "no food, no water" fasts.

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

quote:
...who knowingly picks a seemingly unwinnable legal battle with a Jew?

Pontius Pilate?

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Interfering with the practice of one's religion would be a serious AND actionable problem...but, I've got to say, I'm not familiar with this particular religious practice, at least not in Judaism.

I can't recall anyone who did it, but they may not have been either particularly faithful to the religion, or perhaps a different branch of it.

EP Kaplan
Member # 5688

We have two "major fasts" and a half dozen or so minor ones that run from sunrise to sunset. The major ones run from sunset on one day until nightfall of the next, the most famous of which is Yom Kippur, the Jewish day of atonement. The one in question, however, was called Tisha B'Av, which commemorates the sacking of the Temple of Jerusalem.

For instance, baseball player Sandy Koufax once famously refused to play a World Series game during the fast of Yom Kippur. Convert Sammy Davis Jr. once refused to film while fasting.

During major fasts (and admittedly, Tisha B'Av isn't a very popular holiday, but Yom Kippur is widely, widely practiced, even among relatively secular Jews), we don't eat or drink anything, unless medically obliged to, engage in sexual intercourse, bathe beyond ritual washing up to the knuckles, or wear leather shoes. Also, because Tisha B'Av is considered a day of mourning, we don't greet anyone.

Tisha B'Av occurs during the dog days of summer, either July or August depending on how the Hebrew calendar falls, so working (as I was expected, in a kitchen with three ovens of all places) isn't merely a spiritual violation, it's a dehydration hazard as well.

I worked for most of my shift, until I felt too uncomfortable, then left. When the manager on duty objected, I told them there wasn't much they could do about it without getting sued.

[This message has been edited by EP Kaplan (edited November 30, 2010).]

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I recall the holidays, of course...but, also, those I knew would eat certain things, but did not fast per se. However, I wasn't in their homes during these days and can't say with certainty what they were doing.

I do remember reading once, that an actor who was the first "team leader" on the 1960s series Mission: Impossible, the guy there the first year before Peter Graves...did practice his faith and not work on these holidays---which was one reason why, after one year, they dropped his contract and hired Graves.

There are occasions where practicing one's job and practicing one's religion will lead to aggravation and conflict with others...and there are occasions where this will lead to someone else disposing of the aggravation and conflict by disposing of the original someone. One must be honest and forthright with those others about this matter from the beginning...and be prepared for hard decisions about what's important, and to be prepared to bear up under the consequences...

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

The trouble with bringing up past grievances (like the time they didn't let you off for that holiday) is they have an expiration date. I'm not talking about a written statute of limitations or anything but a: "If that was so bad then why did you keep working there?" kind of thing.
And don't ever think you've got a legal battle in the bag (regardless of your nationality) it's surprising what can happen.

(I have to note that I am not a lawyer and am not trying to sound like a lawyer even thought it may appear like I am writing as a lawyer. I am simply a person who knows lawyers and people who have been involved with legal proceedings (some of which turned into real charlie foxtrots).)

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

quote:
The trouble with bringing up past grievances (like the time they didn't let you off for that holiday) is they have an expiration date.

True's true. It's important to strike while the iron is hot. Remember my abovementioned "exhausting Friday?" I filed two grievances about what went on. Not much hope for them, but it's important to start a paper trail...

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

My garage door opener broke this morning---the part that's connected right to the door broke, the screws pulled out, and the door came down by itself.

I'm happy that (1) my car was already inside, and not halfway in---the door is heavy, and it came down hard, and (2) it happened with me and not one of my relatives who also have access and door openers. (Also (3) that nobody, particularly me, got hurt.)

EP Kaplan
Member # 5688

Pearl Harbor Day today. As a history major and someone with a family full of WWII vets (a major contributing factor, I think, towards my choice of major would be fond memories of sitting on my grandfather's knee, listening to war stories. He was a Staff Sgt. in the Army Air Corps and a proud lifelong supporter of the JWV and VFW), just felt like pointing that out.

[This message has been edited by EP Kaplan (edited December 07, 2010).]

DRaney
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
EP, I have a daughter in the Marines, stationed in Hawaii. She was one of the 200 (or so) Marines standing 'guard' and marching in the Pearl Harbor memorial services today. As her father, I am honored by that, by her desire to be one of those chosen. It is important to us that young people are moved by such things. It has been forgotten by so many.

[This message has been edited by DRaney (edited December 08, 2010).]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
DRaney, I so agree. I think apathy is ruining childhood. At church a couple of weeks ago, I was teaching a bunch of eleven year old's about Jesus Christ crucification, and one of them said, "who cares," under her breath. Absolutely broke my heart.

I'm not arguing that religion is for everyone, but who is teaching these children to care more about celebrities in rehab or sparkling vampires, then the soldiers(or religious icons) who gave their lives for them?

Apathetic, ungrateful, uneducated... Yay for the future.

However, there are still others who go to bed at night with a flashlight so they can escape into books, teens who volunteer, or enlist, and little kids who can be still be taught to be better.

Here's hoping that is what spreads, not more apathy.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

Every generation complains about the previous generation. I also see a lot of apathy in adults, which is harder to combat 'cause it's usually laced with cynicism, and there's no cure for that.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
shimiqua Beyond the fact that she may have been forced to be there or felt forced, did you use it as a teaching moment?

But I think you have a point about the youth. I've seen or heard similar things about the youth of today. I think certain Boomers forgot to teach their offspring some of the things they were taught as children but at the same time this isn't true of every younger person.

There are young men and women who know what Personal sacrifice, dedication and self control mean. While a good many aren't, some are even polite.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

shimiqua Oops forgot two things.

I should have added as you seem to know.

And "sparkling vampires" ???

That's a term I need to remember.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

..."sparkling vampires?"

Well, as for the younger generations not knowing anything about anything...I once got into conversation with some of my younger relations and it came out they had no idea who Paul Revere was. You've heard of him, haven't you?

The Boomers barely know anything themselves. For instance, they remember how painful getting shots for disease immunization was...but they have no memory of what it was like to get the disease...so when it came time for their children to be immunized, substantial numbers of them skipped the whole thing...which is why some of these diseases have made a comeback in recent years.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

You mean that guy who rode the countryside expressing his English phobia?? Just before we fought them blimys in WW II.

Sorry--- just kidding. But it is reported that some High School grads thought we fought the English during the second Great War.

I don't know if they were just not paying attention or if it was because they weren't taught it but I heard of both Paul Revere and WW II so many times I would have absorbed knowledge of both events even if I hadn't paid attention.

But I'm still not sure where Sparklingly Vampires come from

philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe "sparkling vampires" refers to Stephanie Meyer's explanation of why vampires can't go out in the sunlight - they sparkle. I know - it's scary on so many different levels!

Edited to add: BTW, "sparkle", as used in this context, means glimmer, not lighting up with tiny sparks of fire. I just realized this might need clarification.

[This message has been edited by philocinemas (edited December 13, 2010).]

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Reminds me of a recent quote that said, more or less, that the staff on David Letterman's show said whenever Letterman entered the room, there was electricity in the air. I mean, really...Letterman? Nahhh...

Well at least you remembered Paul Revere of the famous Midnight Ride and not Paul Revere the mid-1960s rock star...

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

The real pity is Paul Revere got captured quite early in his midnight ride, he didn't warn very many people. It was the other guy whose name we don't remember (And who Longfellow though had a less poetic name) who really spread the word. The things that we have forgotten could fill a library . . . oh wait.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I was gonna post Longfellow's poem here---it is in public domain---but after I pasted it in, I got to thinking, "It's a blatant violation of the First Thirteen policy.

So, instead, here's the beginning:

Listen my children and you shall hear
Of the midnight ride of Paul Revere,
On the eighteenth of April, in Seventy-five;
Hardly a man is now alive
Who remembers that famous day and year.

He said to his friend, "If the British march
By land or sea from the town to-night,
Hang a lantern aloft in the belfry arch
Of the North Church tower as a signal light,--
One if by land, and two if by sea;
And I on the opposite shore will be,
Ready to ride and spread the alarm
Through every Middlesex village and farm,
For the country folk to be up and to arm."

And the end:

You know the rest. In the books you have read
How the British Regulars fired and fled,---
How the farmers gave them ball for ball,
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.

So through the night rode Paul Revere;=
And so through the night went his cry of alarm
To every Middlesex village and farm,---
A cry of defiance, and not of fear,
A voice in the darkness, a knock at the door,
And a word that shall echo for evermore!
For, borne on the night-wind of the Past,
Through all our history, to the last,
In the hour of darkness and peril and need,
The people will waken and listen to hear
The hurrying hoof-beats of that steed,
And the midnight message of Paul Revere.

...which is still too long. Damn.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Unexpectedly, I had to run out today and buy a new monitor for my computer...the old one would come on for a second and then turn off. I couldn't work with that...it did prevent me from coming online and coming here this morning, though. Maybe it could be fixed...maybe it wasn't the monitor at all...but my need was relatively urgent and I was going out Christmas shopping anyway.

Now I've gotta work the pecularities of this monitor. It's widescreen...the picture shimmers a little...and I've done nothing more than plug it in and come online. Tomorrow, when I have a little time, I'll see what can be done.

PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for PB&Jenny   Email PB&Jenny         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting... a glimmering monitor. No, wait... that was shimmering. My bad.
Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

With some adjustment, my monitor is better...but the shimmer is still there. It's widescreen and hi-def...a lot of my stuff expands to fit the space, but it doesn't seem to distort or expand, say, the Internet comics I spend a lot of time browsing through.

Except for the shimmer, I think it's just a matter of getting used to things.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Could the shimmer be due to the screen refresh rate? If you can figure out how to adjust that, it might help.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Most webcomics tend to be vector based so they can shrink or grow without loss of quality.

You might be losing the light on your monitor, my sister's went out and it was creepy how you could see everything but not really. Like a ghost monitor.

I'm quite depressed today because one of my favorite buildings in the world is on fire.

rich
Member # 8140

I guess it's not going to be too long before we can teleport, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2OfQdYrHRs&feature=player_embedded

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

The sound's a little muddy, too...I think my other screen had better speakers...
philocinemas
Member # 8108

quote:
I guess it's not going to be too long before we can teleport, too.

Well, we already have communicators, so the universal translator isn't too much of a stretch. However, I imagine that we are still quite a ways from disassembling objects at an atomic level, sending them along a beam of light, and reassembling them elsewhere according to their original configuration.

Warp drive, on the other hand...

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

About the shimmering monitor. You may have to break down and call tech support.

Every now and then a certain forum I am on used to shimmer when I called up the reply page. That is the letters shimmered. It almost gave me a headache trying to read the sentences I had just typed. I believe they did something to improve the site and it hasn't done it since. But probably that as a completely different problem than yours.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited December 19, 2010).]

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

It's fairly consistant...appears on whatever I've got up on the screen, whether it be what I'm looking at through AOL or the blue-screen-and-icons. I call it "shimmer," but that's far from a diagnosis...it goes from clear to a wavy horizontal line effect that seem to march down the screen till I try to look closely at it, to a sort of vertical wavy wave across the screen.

One problem with dealing with it is that I haven't had time to deal with it...Christmas, you know, on top of the usual stuff. Yesterday was presents-wrapping day.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

OH By The Way

Merry Christmas to you all.

And if you're one of the few people who do not celebrate some version of it...have a nice day off.

EP Kaplan
Member # 5688

Since we all seem to enjoy history, here's another important date:

‎150 years ago today: South Carolina secedes in response to Lincoln's election as president, beginning the collapse that would lead to the US Civil War. Exactly four years later, Savannah, Georgia is evacuated in response to Sherman's March to the Sea. "War is Hell."

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

I just did a presentation about Tecumseh in my native american literature class. Sherman was named after him, in that class we also read a lot of Sherman Alexie who was named after Sharman (although he denies it profusely.)

Every year that I've driven to work before Christmas I've had car trouble, the problems have ranged from a simple dead battery, flat tire, falling off alternator, side-swiping a car carrier, but this year took the cake, snapped off my timing belt. In an instant what had been a fine vehicle became an oversized paperweight, now I have to find a new car.

Edited to add: I have to find this car fast, begging for a ride home at 1 o'clock in the morning is putting me in serious favor debt.

[This message has been edited by Pyre Dynasty (edited December 22, 2010).]

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

You have to get another car because the timing belt snapped? What did it do take out the whole pulley assembly?

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

What brand is this lemon? And how old? I wouldn't think a broken timimg belt would be a good reason to junk a whole car...
rich
Member # 8140

Possible Pyre's not just talking about a timing belt; if it broke, he may also be talking about engine replacement.

It's possible that it may be more cost effective to get another car as opposed to replacing an engine on this one that's given so many problems to Pyre.

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  48  49  50  51  52  53  54  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.