Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 52)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  49  50  51  52  53  54  55  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: Random musings.
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
It would be a $2000 repair on a 1995 Astro van with a serious amount of miles on it. And it was starting to give a vibe that everything else was planning on falling off.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 

So they would have to replace everything that was about ready to fall off. Never had a car with that problem before even though I have had a couple that were at least 15 years old. But that is serious money. We junked one car that was about that bad in price. Got a couple of hundred dollars for it. Of course we had a replacement already.

That's tough but maybe next time, whenever that is, you can get one with better gas milage. That's what happened to us, went from an almost huge Chevy station wagon to an almost tiny Dodge. It didn't last as long as Dodges were suppose to back then.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, yeah, sometimes you're just better off getting a whole new car---at least, if you can afford one. Any major problem with my car---one hundred ten thousand miles on it---and it's off to the new car lot.

(But then I have the worry of what brand and make and model to buy---they don't make Chevy Cavaliers anymore, and the replacement model wasn't quite right even before GM became Government motors.)

((Of course, I've got other things to spend on. I've got to pay my Christmas bills, pay my local property taxes, and sometime before spring get a new lawnmower...if the rumored new John Deere place opens up closer by than the old John Deere place.))

By the way, I think I cleared up my monitor problem. I realized the video for my computer itself was on a different setting than the monitor, so I changed it to that, then did the "auto reset" thing with the monitor again. Some of the icons on my, er, opening screen still blurred and shimmered at first, but, here online, I haven't had it happen once. More as it develops.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
My car has 255,000 miles on it and is only three years younger than me.

However, I have had old cars that have self-destructed and weren't worth fixing. Helps if you have time for research.

I will say that after my most recent repair, which was just a few days ago, I asked my mechanic what the best cars are today. Mind you, I've known him since I was ten and he's a very honest guy who has kept all of my old cars running. And he said that 'Honda and Toyota were still the best, but the American cars were catching up. But no matter how sweet it looks, he wouldn't touch a Dodge with a ten foot pole.'

Oh and by the way, to those who celebrate, Bingle Jells and Cherry Mistmas!!

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, my first car was a Dodge Dart that had over a hundred thousand miles on it when I got it...I put another, oh, hundred and fifty thousand miles on it, and might be driving it still if the radiator hadn't blown.

Gas mileage is an important factor...but so is the head room and having a pretty good radio / media player. I look forward to having something to connect an iPod to in my next car.

Head room? Well, after an accident that totaled one car, there was a big outward dent in the roof precisely where my head would have made one if it had gone up and hit the roof---but I wasn't injured, didn't black out, and don't remember actually banging my head.

Merry Christmas to anyone who's having a Christmas, and Deck Us All With Boston Charlie...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Very Christmas to all and to all a good fight.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

I already posted this in the Christmas gifts thread but I'll put it here too for thread continuity. (As if that was needed for Random Musings.)

I got a fantacular deal on a used Hundai Sonata. I'll have to think about its superhero name.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

How 'bout Hyundai, which is the way it's usually spelled?
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for PB&Jenny   Email PB&Jenny         Edit/Delete Post 
Naming a car depends on the color and if it makes any distinguishable noises. Not necessarily bad ones. I had a car once that had some kind of springy noise on big bumps. It was kind of neat. Called it my 'Toon' car. Get it? Car-toon!
Aaahhhh... nevermind. Not funny.

Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

So that's why it was such a good deal. Ah well, goes great with my Rolx.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Naming a car? I figured my car came with its name in place---white 2004 Chevy Cavalier. They don't make 'em like that anymore...in fact, they don't make 'em anymore, the line was discontinued...
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
My car's name is Charlie Nova. He told me so himself shortly after I bought him.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I haven't really named any of my cars. Never really felt the need and/or desire but I can see why people do

especially if the car tells you its name.

But I have thought about having one of my various characters name their car. Of course come to think of it, she is the only one character whose car I describe. In none of the other projects do I even say what type of car or what color it is. Looks like something to work on in the revising process.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

You name a car in a story, it becomes a character in the story...
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
True, like in Wayne's World. Who doesn't remember the Mirth Mobile with the easy access red licorice?
Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

There's the Pizza Planet car from "Toy Story," which has appeared in every Pixar movie since...
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

I give my cars superhero names, I think it helps them perform great feats.

My last one was called the Maroon Maroon, because it did all sorts of funny stuff. (Like randomly run the windshield wipers.)

Still haven't figured out this cars name.

DRaney
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
My car would currently be named "Cough ~ Spit ~ rattlerattle" if I let it name its own self...

Honda Accord 278,000 miles! 32 MPG all day long!

[This message has been edited by DRaney (edited December 30, 2010).]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Robert no wonder you are having problems with cars name

That was a pick-up not a car.

Reziac
Member # 9345

- posted      Profile for Reziac   Email Reziac         Edit/Delete Post 
I know someone who replaced the big "TOYOTA" logo on his mini-pickup's tailgate with "TONKA".
Posts: 782 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Reziac

A few years ago a few people around here did that type of thing. Some blocked out all the letters except for TOY. That was usually done with pick-ups. I can't recall any other words formed but there were a couple.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

There's the story of the dee-jays who had a contest for a free "Toyota" only for the winner to find they meant a "toy Yoda."

Messy lawsuit followed.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Wishing you all better luck for 2011!
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
"Toy Yoda" I love it.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reziac
Member # 9345

- posted      Profile for Reziac   Email Reziac         Edit/Delete Post 
The feller who put "TONKA" on his tailgate took it a bit further, actually ... some trim variations and I forget what else, so at a distance it really did look like a toy truck. He's a toy designer by profession. You've probably heard of his other car mod, as it's rather famous:

http://www.roadsquadron.com/Cars/Hwing/

Yes, he actually drives it around Los Angeles!

Posts: 782 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

Wow... that's just... yeah.
Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I thought so when I saw those lasers, a X-wing fighter but in this case what a Null wing fighter?

But he doesn't dress right.

But a huge amount of years ago there was a group of Star Trek fans that drove around a major US city in a Metro van disguised as the Enterprise. Complete with a Captain's chair. They wore costumes and had phasers disguised as laser sights.

And even though I don't think it's online anymore, three or more years ago I found a pic of a motorcycle shaped like the Enterprise. The saucer section stuck out above the front tire.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

There are a lot of strange things on cars riding around, from custom jobs to bumper stickers to oddball licence plates. Never went for it myself...why tell the world you're crazy?

I used to work with a guy (now deceased, alas), who dressed as a Klingon for Halloween every year...but also always wore a Kirk-and-Spock-period red shirt uniform. Never had the heart to tell him Klingons didn't serve in Starfleet then...

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

I knew a guy who took his Toyota and painted over the "To" and replaced the second t with a d. In my memory it was green but I'm not sure it really was.

Was he dressed as the big-forehead klingons or the weird eye-brow ones? It could be he was a time traveler trying to fit in? Or perhaps he did the tried and true "knock out the guard and take his clothes" thing.

As for my car I think it may just live up to the title "Flaming Sword" which is a particularly important piece of hardware in a story I wrote in highschool. (And I'm going to rewrite it one day.)

I believe in telling the world I'm crazy right up front. It clears up misunderstandings in advance.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Pyre Dynasty Just have a license frame that says you're a writer.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I've been thinking about where to put this and it hit me here...duh.

One another thread we talked about a back story for the Treehouse. And I added that there is a Bar Spyder Roberson (I think) wrote about but my local Barnes and Noble has all kinds of interesting characters in it. Today I saw Willow, from Buffy. I've seen her before, she works there. She lost some weight maybe grew an inch or three but still basically the same. And at the Starbucks in the store I was waited upon by a Vampire. No fangs, yes he smiled real bit showing me all his teeth, but that is easily taken care of. Good thing its cloudy and rainy here.

In previous visits I've seen Patricia Briggs shapechanger heroine and an elf. Actually could have been a Vulcan.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Every year for the last few I've put up two calendars near my computer. One is of Eagles...not the band not the team...as well as one called Star Trek: Ships Of The Line.
The second one is obviously is of starships, even though they sneak a shuttle in there every so often. And not just the various Enterprises but some that have a secondary character or never used at all.

This has been going on for around five years. The first one has a great shot of Voyager flying through a lightning storm right above an ocean. Besides the fact that there's a reason I have something for Voyager, I have a scene just like it in my first novel. Of course it's not Voyager or any other Star Trek ship but still it's amazing how similar the two scenes are.

There's even a book out with, I think, the first three years of pics and a half page story that goes with each pic. I would have loved to do those half page descriptions.

So now to what I want to say, I wish they would have a calendar like that for SF over all. I would love one with a month with David Weber's Honer Harrington ships. Of course all the ships look pretty much the same in that universe. But there could be one from David Drake's Lt. Leary series, maybe from R.M. Meluch's Merrimack series. I'm sure they could find another nine.

There's the Sub turned starship that is part of a series by John Ringo and another guy, I forget his name and I don't have my books handy. A scene of it breaking the service of the ocean on its way up would look neat, especially with that horn like thing sticking out of its nose. There's a full explanation of what it is in one of the books. But it's full if tiny holes and the way the holes break up the water somehow allows the sub to slip faster through the ocean. Unless all of that is just techno- babble. For me it's hard to tell if all the scientific stuff is real, tecno-babble or as I think both.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited January 02, 2011).]

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Another idea from that calendar. January's pic is of a starship with two circles around the aft end. They are proton excelleraters, using a different method of create a wrap bubble. But my idea is that instead of an Excellerater being built underground build one around a spaceship for power. Hmmm, all kinds of possibilities there.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I just use generic calendars...a monthly printout page for writing down stuff about my writing...a twelve-month printed calendar for figuring out dates in advance...a pocket calendar for writing down punch-in-punch-out times at work. I've gotten some as gifts from time to time, but I generally appreciate them for their artwork or info and don't, specifically, use them.
genevive42
Member # 8714

Let's not forget one of the coolest cars - The Blues Mobile.
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Today I almost bought my niece a calender called cuteness overload for her birthday, but webkins were on sale and there was a walrus. Don't tell her. She's really to young for a calender anyway.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

It wasn't until, oh, early 2009 that I realized I'd been misspelling "calendar" since childhood...
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Actually I've had the same problem with calendar but it was more recently.

I had to look it up this time.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

No matter how many times I look it up, I can never decide whether it's "aggravate" or "aggrivate." It's aggrivating. Or is it "aggravating?"

(This is one of those things where spell checking works in your favor.)

PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

I usually just spell that 'exacerbating'.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Pardon me for this some what political statement But this seems to be the place for such.

but I'm amazed at how hyper the Democrats and some media people are getting at the idea of having the Constitution read. Some are totally freaking out, it's well amazing. They even made up a new catch phrase for the occasion. Those using the phrase must not have been paying much attention to those who talk have been talking about the Constitution, at the same time it sounds like some of have forgotten we are a Constitutional Republic.

Now back to our regularly scheduled comments

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited January 05, 2011).]

rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea what was just said, LD. So, yeah, I guess that's grist for the mill if we mean trying to decipher what was said.
Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Oops, I was in a hurry. I did that during lunch at work. I thought I would be in and out but it didn't work out that way.

At the beginning I should have added On the House Floor the new Republicans want to read the Constitution. I hope the rest now makes sense.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

It's done. Have you read the US Constitution?
rich
Member # 8140

To me, the reading of the Constitution is nothing more than a political stunt (especially when certain sections weren't read), and anyone who voices an opinion as to the necessity of it being read can be painted as non-patriotic.

Look: A six year-old can read the Constitution, but I'd be more impressed if that same six year-old can actually explain what he just read.

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

The GOP leadership may have done it for PR stunt but most of the newly elected representatives more than likely did it to send a message that they really were going to follow it.

But no matter the reason why I see no harm in reading it. And positively no reason to freak out over it. You may have heard about Walmart giving 1,600,000 dollars to seven cities to help fight hunger. We are getting 100,000 of that here. I don't care if it is a new way for Walmart to advertise or not, it is money freely given and it will help many people. The constitution is a document that needs to be read every so often and as I said it did no harm to read it.

As to understanding it. Most of it isn't that hard, it was written to be easily understood and for the areas that aren't, we have the Founder's writings to help us understand it.

And It has been years since I read much of it...I have read certain parts like the Bill of Rights fairly recently. I tried to download it way back but for some reason only got half of it. I didn't discover that for a while. Yes, I need to try again.

PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

I'm pretty sure the 16th Amendment was never ratified (the one about taxation) but I could be wrong. Anybody?
rich
Member # 8140

It was ratified.

But here's a good point by point of the "controversy":

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1115/is-u-s-income-tax-invalid-because-ohio-wasnt-legally-a-state-when-the-16th-amendment-was-ratified

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Lots of amendments have failed of ratification. The Founding Fathers didn't make it easy to amend the Constitution; they didn't want the government subject to passing fads---and potential tyrannies.
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

Great info, rich. Thanks.
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  49  50  51  52  53  54  55  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.