Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 50)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  47  48  49  50  51  52  53  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: Random musings.
Ethereon
Member # 9133

- posted      Profile for Ethereon   Email Ethereon         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Butterface...
So I was checking email when I heard exuberant sounds eminating from the kitchen.
Yep, when I went to investigate all three of my critters had their faces in the butterdish on the floor. Odds on it was Devious Daughter who got it off the counter though -- to the delight of Delinquent Dogs.
Hmmph. I see I have degenerated into silly alliterations. I'm in that kind of mood.

[This message has been edited by Ethereon (edited October 27, 2010).]

Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Ammonia & bleach is a nightmare, we use this stuff called Freedom, which still stinks and is among the slickest substances known to man, but it ain't no ammonia and bleach.

LD, there's this magical thing called a doorknob that when turned allows access through the portal. If my freedom was dependent on a government issued doorstop I don't think I'd last very long in this job.

Etherion: Delighted Delinquent Dogs do diabolical doings during delicious dairy dish downing, Devious Daughter's decision, dinner destroyed.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
F&Ffor short works was silent for nearly four days. No one posted a thing. That must be some sort of record.

[This message has been edited by Brendan (edited October 27, 2010).]

Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jayazman
Member # 2818

- posted      Profile for jayazman   Email jayazman         Edit/Delete Post 
That means more people need to post stories. I would, but that means I would have to write something first...
Posts: 212 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
First day back at work. Busy night, too. I come home exhausted, take a shower, start to dress. I put my first sock on, then bend over and put my second sock on. I reach for my third sock and feel around a few moments before it hits me---what do I need a third sock for? I've only got two feet...man I was tired.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

LD, there's this magical thing called a doorknob that when turned allows access through the portal. If my freedom was dependent on a government issued doorstop I don't think I'd last very long in this job.

Indeed, except you said it was a locked closet.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

F&F for short stories

I could post something from an older stories. I haven't done any short stories for a while, but I have my time back now so maybe I will again soon. Still have lots of ideas.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday afternoon, I slept for an hour when I first lay down, then fifteen minutes before I got up---for the rest, I tossed and turned. I'm running on fumes right now.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Then, to top it all off, my new glasses came in. Now I've got to get used to how things look out of 'em, tired and all...
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes the closet was locked but that doesn't change the fact that I had the key. Even when the door was open it was still locked. Even when it's unlocked it is still locked. For it to not be locked I would need a screwdriver, or possibly a hacksaw.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I think we're having what I call "a COOL HAND LUKE moment." (As in "what we have here is a failure to communicate.")

Pyre Dynasty, I believe LDWriter2 just wanted clarification on how the marks could have been made on the newly waxed floor of a locked closet. You know, as in "locked room mystery" perhaps?

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Kathleen and Prye I need to apologize. I thought he might of misstated his sentence by accidently saying it was locked while he was in it. So it was a smart aleck comment to draw his attention to that "mistake". I used quotes because it turns out not to be a misstatement.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Oh yeah

I'm glad the silly season is almost over. Tues., the second.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited October 30, 2010).]

Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
If you voted early, you can ignore the silly season.
Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Paid for by the Committee to Elect Corky and to Make Civil Discourse Silly Beyond Recognition.
Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

There are two kinds of people in this world: Those who are voting for Corky and those who worship the devil.

Paid for by the Committee to Elect Corky and to Promote Religious Fear.

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Well, based on my past experience going through the whole damn process, I can already tell you that Wednesday will dawn---assuming anybody goes to bed before the last results are in---and the first phone survey that morning will be on the question, "Who do you like for President in 2012?" (The next thing will be someone declaring himself a candidate within the week.)
Corky
Member # 2714

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

Can't talk. I'm at the rally.
rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
I voted early. While waiting in line, I told the woman behind me that I thought I hoped I had enough money to pay the cover charge. She said that she didn't think there was a cover charge. I told her of course she'd say that. Women get in free on Wednesdays so they don't have to pay the cover.
Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:

If you voted early, you can ignore the silly season.

No, you can't. It's on TV, the radio, in the mail, on your answering machine. On the local News. Even in my local area there is talk of voter fraud, pressuring the county clerk to do early voting and really off the wall ads for a country commissioner. That's never happened with a CC before.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I think Robert Nowall is correct.

From one silly season to another so quick.

And to respond to another note. I don't believe there's a good reason for early voting.

genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Boo!
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:

Boo!

There's that too.

I like to see various costumes, some can be very well done.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Blast from the past...last week, I watched this Lord Peter Wimsey DVD, "Murder Must Advertise." They're a BBC series of five multiparters from the 1970s, starring the late Ian Carmichael as Dorothy L. Sayers's Wimsey. I watched them all...but this was the only one I missed the first time around. (Read the book, of course, but I really didn't remember that much of it.) Good stuff...period pieces, set in the 1920s and 1930s, like the books...I enjoyed it.

The thing is, part of the plot involved cocaine smuggling. What startled me was the amount of cocaine. They were making a big deal about these distributors who were hauling it around in these eensey-weensey itty-bitty packets...and when you're used to seeing the cops of here-and-now stop guys who are hauling it around in ginormous bales, it sees much ado about nearly nothing...

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Oh, yeah, it's Halloween, right? Happy Halloween...
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Sorry LD I knew what you were driving at and was playing the smart aleck myself.

I tried to vote for Corky but I might have accidentally poked the wrong hole, and I didn't push hard enough. So if you find a hanging or dimpled chad for the other guy remember to count it for Corky.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I'm glad we never used those poky, holy(As in lots of holes) ballets.

But now we might be switching to those non-holy (As in not God like) ____ awful electronic machines.

They were used in one day of early voting, but Tues we are supposedly using the normal ballets. However, that could mean next year they switch over.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited November 01, 2010).]

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

So who do you like for President in 2012?
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 

Not even in Grist for the Mill, please?

Edited to add:

Unless you nominate someone like Robert Nowall, or maybe Corky--in other words, a Hatrack participant.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited November 03, 2010).]

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Yes, let's all write in Robert Nowall for pres, someone's got to stop the Corky agenda.
jayazman
Member # 2818

- posted      Profile for jayazman   Email jayazman         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll vote for Robert.

I also have a calc II test on Friday over power series representations... I might have to retake calc II. I am not a happy camper right now.

Of course, I could just move to the mountains and forget about school and society and technology and then I'd be a happy camper. Or maybe not, I like electricity and hot water. I guess I just can't be happy anywhere.

Posts: 212 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

If nominated I shall not run, and if elected I shall not serve. I've had enough of government service working for the post office...
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Which makes you a prime presidential candidate, although we may have to lock you in the oval office till you promise to behave. (Hey that's an idea for a story, the one who gets to be president is the one who doesn't want to do the job the most.)

In my class I've been dependent on a game of email tag to get a project done. I lost, it's gonna take special dispensation for me to pull this thing off.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Hey, I can run.

Old enough and born in the US and all that.

That reminds me do you know that Bob Hope ran? For as long as his TV special lasted many years ago. But he had to stop because a school pupil reminded him that he was born in England.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Hey, I know places where you can argue whether or not a certain Presidential somebody was or was not born within the United States, and therefore is or is not eligible to be President.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:

Hey, I know places where you can argue whether or not a certain Presidential somebody was or was not born within the United States, and therefore is or is not eligible to be President.

I know, but those people may have gotten the idea years ago from the Bob Hope run.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

And of course we wouldn't want this site turning into one of those sites, would we?
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Humph, don't blame me that Mr. Hope started this 20 plus ears ago. Come to think of it may have been in the Seventies when he was doing a lot of TV specials. He probably thought if an actor could run a comedian could run...for an hour anyway. As I just recalled he almost got Sammy Davis Jr. to run as Vice President.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Walt Kelly used to run a "Pogo for President" campaign within his comic strip. It worked until Pogo started drawing some write-in votes in the actual elections...

Ah, comic strips...two of my favorites came to the bitter end last month. First "Cathy," with great fanfare and publicity...then "Cleats," with barely a whimper---I mean, I didn't even hear it was ending until the last week...

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Robert, I know what you mean about "Cathy", I loved that one. They are running reruns on at least one of the comics sites. I missed a year or two so I can use this time to catch up and also see ones I have forgotten.

The part I missed is where she married her original boyfriend. But I'm glad the way she ended it even though she could have gone all the way through the nine months.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited November 08, 2010).]

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I have a certain regret that the strip didn't last long enough so we could see the birth of Cathy's mother's first grandchild.

But, on the other had, who wants to see that in a comic strip? Too graphic for my tastes...

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

But this has nothing whatsoever to do with monkeys.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:

But this has nothing whatsoever to do with monkeys.

It doesn't?!?!

Oops, I thought it did-(scratching hairy head).

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

We could talk hamsters again...
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a hamster killer.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
I need to finish writing this scene and I'm out of coffee!!!
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I have known hamster killers. I've never had one to kill.

There's a line in a song about vegans BBQing hamsters.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited November 14, 2010).]

Corky
Member # 2714

Please clarify?

Is a hamster killer someone who kills hamsters, or is a hamster killer, a hamster that kills?

Or both?

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

You could be one and still do the other...
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  47  48  49  50  51  52  53  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.