Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 49)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  46  47  48  49  50  51  52  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: Random musings.
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
And I capitalized "state" out of habit. Guess where I work.
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
If lawyers don't write the laws and regulations, why is Wasington infested with them?
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

They represent the federal bureaucrats who forget that some laws apply to them.
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

Oh, right. My random thought: What is one supposed to do with stories that don't fit any decent markets? Print the stories out and use the pages as kindling?
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
If the stories don't fit a decent market does this mean that the story is itself indecent? Then I guess you have to send it to indecent markets.

They don't call me the greatest for nothing, I actually have to pay them quite a bit of money.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm on vacation. Three weeks and change. Away from that hellhole I call "my job." I won't be going away till Saturday, and I hope to squeeze in some writing in between prepping for that---usually I don't have the time.

Then again, I'll only be gone from weekend to weekend, so I'll have time on my hands when I get back---maybe more writing.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I've recently had a nostalgia trip in the form of old cartoons. I've discovered something, She-Ra had dynamically better writing than He-Man. As a boy who loved He-Man and hated She-Ra it was depressing to discover this.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I've been wondering about the decline of the half-hour cartoon show...Disney and Nickelodeon went into serious live-action...even the Cartoon Network runs some live-action stuff, why I don't pretend to know...and the ones that have come to pass seem, well, kind of "smarmy" to me. Difficult to describe, actually, but there seems to be a heavy "we know we're in a cartoon" vibe to the characters.
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Qubo actually has some decent cartoons. In particular, Jacb Two-Two stands out. It's just fun and the characters are enjoyable. An old-fashioned adventure.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been wondering why cartoons, for so long, anyway, were considered for children (and mainstream animated movies are still geared more for children than for adults--yes, I am aware that there are all kinds of animated "adult" things out there, but I'm talking about the general perception of cartoons as being for children).

What is it about cartoons and animation that made them kid-stuff in the first place? (When I was a kid, I believe the cartoons we saw on tv were actually "short subjects" that had all kinds of allusions to and depictions of actors and actresses and movies for adults, and I also believe they were produced to be shown in the movie theaters before they ever made it to tv.)

So when and why did animation, for so very long, become associated with "for kids"? Was it production costs (no paying expensive actors) or simplified images or what?

Any ideas, anyone?

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Yes, I watch a lot of Qubo, I was so happy to see Spliced return, it's my favorite show right now. (There was a really brilliant short the other day involving a refrigerator.) Although it being on Qubo is the weirdest part of it all. I would really like to see the return of the cartoon variety show, the last one we had was Animaniacs and that was a really long time ago (In TV terms anyway.)

I'm not sure why people came to think of animation as just for "kids." There is some really brilliant things being done with it these days. (Although it's hard to find in all the Anime and honest to goodness baby stuff.) Of course there is alot of good anime and Gaijin Anime too.

My Shortlist of stuff running right now: WordGirl, Spliced, Jacob Two-Two, Martha Speaks, and one other that I can picture in my head but can't remember the title.

genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Pyre, I don't know spliced but I'm with you on the others. Sitting Ducks is good for a chuckle too.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Forgot I was a big fan of "Jane and the Dragon," from Qubo and syndication.

Some of what I perceive as "decline" could be attributed to CGI and such---Pixar's pulling it off but it's a lazy way out for the guys who put on half-hour TV cartoons.

It's odd to discuss "realism" in connection with cartoons, but, as far as the cartoons go, they often don't have it. Something like, oh, that "Fairy Godparents" thing usually on Nickelodeon. (Is that the name? I forget. Or is it on the Cartoon Network? I forget, too.) (I'll pick on it 'cause it seems kind of the start of the problem.) The kids in it don't talk like kids, don't act like kids, and don't relate to each other or to their parents or anyone else like kids. Same for any of the other characters---they just don't come across as what they're supposed to be, but parodies of what they're supposed to be.

Something about that sort of posture, on the part of the creators, in the ongoing creation of a cartoon show, just rubs me the wrong way. I'm not really looking for satiric masterpieces when I look at, well, anything---but cartoons in particular.

genevive42
Member # 8714

I grew up on Bugs Bunny, Tom and Jerry and Yogi Bear. So I guess I'm not looking for any sort of realism out of my cartoons. Just entertainment.

Having said that, I do like cartoons that are smart. Animaniacs and Jacob Two-Two certainly fit that category.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I liked Bugs Bunny cartoons, too...but they were six minutes long each, not stretched to half an hour or longer. Right now, I like mundane things like plot and character, things that are moved along by humor, where humor itself is not the point. (Most of the Hanna-Barbera school of TV cartoon work didn't hold up for me when I caught glimpses as an adult.)
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

It was "Fairly Odd Parents," playing off Fairy Godparents.

Spliced is probably one of those "humor is the point" things. There isn't much of a plot (and they usually follow the two segments in a half-hour episode model) but it's all about the characters. Qubo shows it a 2 in the morning because some people really don't think it fits with the Qubo ideal. Which it doesn't, all the characters in it are basically trying not to get smashed or eaten by the other freaks while trying to have fun. It also comes with things like, "the moral of the story is don't shove antelopes up your nose because they have pointy horns which will poke your brain." It's been described as the Island of Dr. Moreau for kids.

jayazman
Member # 2818

- posted      Profile for jayazman   Email jayazman         Edit/Delete Post 
My house votes for Jacob Two-Two, Jane and the Dragon, B.G. and Rescue Heroes, although I am not a big fan of Rescue Heroes.
Posts: 212 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

(On "Fairly Oddparents"...when I posted, it was relatively late and I was relatively tired...when I'm tired my mind isn't firing on all cylinders. I'm up pretty late right now (by my standards) but I think I've shaken some of the blurry fatigue off...)

I haven't done more than glance at Qubo, but the stuff on it does seem to be pitched to a younger age group than, say, the stuff on Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network or Disney. The "one-digit age-group" stuff on most of the channels generally turns me off.

Of course there's Adult Swim...but most of that has turned me off, too, and the only things I look into on that come from outside, like cast-off network rejects or Japanimation.

By the way, has anybody besides me noticed that Nickelodeon and Disney have largely abandoned their half-hour cartoon shows? And even Cartoon Network is starting to run live-action stuff? What gives?

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Might as well say it here...I won't be around for the next week and a half...it's time for my vacation and, as I've said before, when I "get away from it all," "it all" includes going online.

Keep up the good work here.

Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a moose in my yard Thursday.
Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

Have a nicely "random" vacation, Robert.
Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for PB&Jenny   Email PB&Jenny         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a buddy in Alaska who's almost been run down by moose three times. He's a very fast runner.
Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Is a moose mixed with a buffalo called a moosalo or a buffaloose?
Tiergan
Member # 7852

The Lions won!!!!
Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
I know some of you probably saw this before, but I love it.

AND I WILL NOT APOLOGIZE FOR MY TONE TONIGHT!!!!

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

One more.

You've gotta watch this first one, um, first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcpx8O82KLM

And now this one will make more sense. Thank Gods for Auto-Tune, quite possibly the jelly to Youtube's peanut butter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIs7OY4anao&feature=related

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jayazman
Member # 2818

I loved it. I watched it while I was eating at Carl's Jr and laughed out load. Everyone turned to look at me but I didn't care. That was funny!
Posts: 212 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethereon
Member # 9133

- posted      Profile for Ethereon   Email Ethereon         Edit/Delete Post 
@Tiergan: I suppose that must be the Detroit Lions. The BC Lions lost to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers during my Thanksgiving dinner on Monday.

Oh yeah, happy belated Thanksgiving Canadians. Happy belated Columbus Day Americans.

Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

Yep it was the Detroit Lions, I threw it in there for Snapper, I didnt want him to be the only one cheering for them
rich
Member # 8140

"The black soul-brother needed time to prove his innocence."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWHNA_j7h5A

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh, rich? I think that's enough of the youtube links.

Okay?

Thanks.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

Oh, man! <snaps fingers>

(Resisting the urge to post a link to Swiper the Fox)

snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
What does that say about the type of person you are when you get fired from the 'volunteer' job you recruited to do?

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

What does it say? Probably that your "type" doesn't fit very well with whatever "type" the person in charge likes best.

I'd bet that "volunteers" are sometimes easier to fire because they aren't getting paid (and therefore won't be losing income), so the people who "fire" them don't think they have to feel as guilty about it.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Made it back...just starting to assess what's been posted in my absence. Had a good time...in ten days of travel I was only sick three days.

And I think next time I'll leave my typewriter behind...it just takes up space, and I never use the damned thing while away...

jayazman
Member # 2818

Robert, you should get a laptop.
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Yeah a laptop is lighter to carry around not using.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I've thought about it...but a laptop is one more thing I'd have to worry about if I took it along. One more expensive thing, at that. (I'm still on my original cellphone, being not inclined to update to texting or Blackberrying or iPhoning or whatevering.)
Ethereon
Member # 9133

Oh, the waiting!
Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

The waiting for the hating.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

The way-a-thing is the hardest part.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Hmm...blew the joke with a typo...
Ethereon
Member # 9133

Tom Petty Robert?
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

No, just Tom Petty. Maybe the Heartbreakers, too.
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

You know it really sucks to spend a day and a half stripping and waxing a floor in a locked closet only to come back after the last coat to find a line of nicely defined footprints and wheelmarks right through the middle of it. You would have though the person would have at least wondered why all the junk in the closet was out in the hallway, or even noticed that the floor was sticky.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if it was a closet they were probably in and out before it registered then thought oh no or were too dense to feel anything.

By the way who unlocked the door for you?

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

One of the perks of being a custodian who need to strip and wax floors is I have the key.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
That helps but does unlock from the inside?
Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

One of our complaints when our custodians strip the floor wax is that they use the combined cleaning powers of ammonia and bleach. If you don't know why that's grounds for complaint, check it out...

A lot of our newer custodians are former postal clerks...it's a combination of the practice of excessing employees, and the desire of not wanting to relocate to Orlando from southwest Florida...meanwhile, we're short-handed and they're not done excessing...

genevive42
Member # 8714

Dang, I need some coffee.
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  46  47  48  49  50  51  52  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.