Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 55)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  52  53  54  55  56  57  58  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: Random musings.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I believe there is a big difference between "G-D" and "G-d".

Ohh, that's what you meant. Took me kinda long to get it.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Getting back to the crossing dressing Stature of Liberty. I saw a red one on the home the other day. They are usually light blue but this one was solid red. Only seen it once.

And a day or two before that I saw one in my local paper. I forget where but it was actually a pic of one of the snowed in regions of the country but there right beside a snow drift was a guy dressed as the Miss Liberty...light blue.

Hope he was wearing thermals under that.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
That's funny I was going bring that up, last night I went to a sketch comedy show that had a battle dance between a Little Ceasers sign holder and a guy dressed as Lady Liberty to the tune of "Beat It". It was great. (The group is called Divine Comedy.)

[This message has been edited by Pyre Dynasty (edited February 13, 2011).]

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Not that matters that much but I think I figured out why that tax preparer business has switched to just the Statue of Liberty. Look closely at their logo. Now though I wonder why they included Uncle Sam at the beginning.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Uncle Sam Wants Yours...be it your money, or a urine specimen...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DRaney
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Here is random for ya;

you could fit every living human on the PLANET inside the state of Rhode Island and give them 3 square feet each and still have 14 billion square feet uninhabited...

(if the conversion table I used worked correctly... not to mention the math I did on fingers and toes.)

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course if you cram that many people into a spce the size of Rhode Island they'd probably be down to the population of Rhode Island in short order...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Why aren't you letting us into that 14 billion extra square feet? I smell a government cover-up. Or I wish I could over the stench of all these people around me.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DRaney
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Area 51... they Had to put it somewhere...

BTW - Houston, Texas is roughly 16 billion 750 million square feet...

I know this has nothing to do with 'hamster feet', but....

[This message has been edited by DRaney (edited February 17, 2011).]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smiley
Member # 9379

- posted      Profile for Smiley   Email Smiley         Edit/Delete Post 
I once brought my ex-wife a white Christmas tree but she told me to get the flock out of her house.
Posts: 195 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
I teach high school.

The other day, out of the corner of my ear (I know it doesn't make sense, but I don't know what else to call the auditory equivalent to "out of the corner of my eye") I heard a kid say, "I seen a guy snort a worm."

Incorrect grammar aside, that is a fantastic sentence.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

When I flunked college physics I had to get the flunk out of there.
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Now that you mention it Hamster feet are rather square.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

About the Stature of Liberty guys.

When they first opened they used both Uncle Sam and the Stature. It made sense and I thought a nice departure from just the signs. I think they did it for two or three years. And I noticed that each year, the closer it got to April 15th, the more guys wore the liberty outfit. But last year or the year before they dropped the Uncle Sam outfits and as I said taking a closer look at their logo I can see why they use the Liberty outfits. But still curious about them dropping the other or why they used it all if they were going to drop it.

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Which would win: Whabam! or Shazam!
Smiley
Member # 9379

- posted      Profile for Smiley   Email Smiley         Edit/Delete Post 
Shabam!
Posts: 195 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

It depends. Who are they?
Ethereon
Member # 9133

- posted      Profile for Ethereon   Email Ethereon         Edit/Delete Post 
"Make my funk the P-funk. I want to get funked-up"
-Parliament Funkadelic

Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Katy Perry's Firework is such a good song, when i listen to it, I forget how annoying she is.

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

- posted      Profile for Grayson Morris           Edit/Delete Post 
Ethereon: If anybody gets funked up, it's gone be you. :-)
Posts: 381 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Just watched Katy Perry's "Firework" video on a whim after reading shimiqua's post. Personally not my kind of music, but does anyone else think it's a bit...odd...that she starts shooting fireworks out of her breasts? Or does this post just make me a pervert?
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

quote:
Or does this post just make me a pervert?

Just this post?

Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know the song until I went to youtube and I realized I had heard the first 5 seconds of it about 30 times before

Not sure where the fireworks are coming from, but the first 30 seconds was all I watched. I've officially crossed the threshold into the AM dial -- talk radio and audio books for me.

Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:

Ethereon: If anybody gets funked up, it's gone be you. :-)

That includes if they listen to Grand Funk?

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

That video was easier to find than I afeared it would be. I thought it wasn't bad and the message wasn't bad either except for a couple of scenes.

wetwilly, I can see why you think that but I think it was from between her breasts.

And if I understand the message right I may have a new title for my "New Mage On The Block" novel. After all my "Bright Lights and Chaos" is named after a video...one I haven't seen.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited February 27, 2011).]

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:

Not sure where the fireworks are coming from, but the first 30 seconds was all I watched. I've officially crossed the threshold into the AM dial -- talk radio and audio books for me.

That one song was enough to drive over the edge?...even though I listen to AM at work.

I am blessed in that there are two FM stations I love here abouts. However neither comes in on our clock radio so I have to wake up to Country.

But both are on the internet.

http://www.spirit889.com

http://www.klove.com

BTW they're both short enough I decided I didn't want to take the time to rename them.

Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
The song didn't put me over the edge. I miscommunicated. I switched to the AM dial some time ago. And by the way, I never thought I would be one of those people who only likes older music.

Nothing wrong with the song. It's one of those "it's not you, it's me" things.

[This message has been edited by Wordcaster (edited February 27, 2011).]

Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

The last FM Oldies station in my area (Ft. Myers Florida) started calling itself "The River" a few weeks ago---I concede that a lot of those songs are "oldies," older now than the "oldies" I listened to when those songs were new and on the charts---but the bulk of them are still things I didn't want to listen to then, don't want to listen to now, and never want to listen to again.

Right now there's an AM oldies station out of Port Charlotte and an FM oldies station out of Sarasota---but it's real obvious that, most of the time, they play the same playlist at the same time. Also, the AM station is a "sundowner," fades as night starts to hit---and the FM station is too far away for a clear signal.

(Ah, well. At night I can skip all that and listen to WSM out of Nashville, or even WCBS out of New York---that is, when Radio Havana doesn't drown them out.)

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:

The last FM Oldies station in my area (Ft. Myers Florida) started calling itself "The River" a few weeks ago

That seems to be the in thing with music stations these days...adding a one word name. Used to be only a couple that did it now its seems to be most.

One around here calls itself The Blaze, that is semi-new. A Kiss Country is old but a new country station is calling itself the Wolf. Even one of those stations I listed has started calling itself spirit88.9 instead of the call letters they used to use as a name. Actually, they are using both on the air since legally they are still known as KDUV.

There are a couple other newer names also.

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

It was a sad day for me when I heard one of my "fresh new songs" on my father's oldies station.

I want to start a station called good stuff, where we just play music without caring what decade it happened to have been recorded in, or what genre it's in.

Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

- posted      Profile for Grayson Morris           Edit/Delete Post 
LDW2 - Grand Funk Railroad? Mmm, I don't know. I just know I married a George Clinton junkie, and Ethereon's post was good for a morning of mental music (aka earworm).
Posts: 381 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Well, about the only place I listen to the radio is in my car---but I spend over an hour a day just coming and going, so that's a sizeable amount of time.

Let me run through my pre-set buttons...I've got twelve FM and six AM...FM 1.1 the (former) oldies station, 1.2 the Sarasota oldies station, 1.3 something that calls itself Bob FM which plays a fair variety of songs from the 1970s on, 1.4 through 1.6, three country stations...FM 2.1 through 2.3 I guess you could call them "heavy oldies," covering mostly the heavier stuff from the 1970s on (similar to Bob FM but not quite as wide a playlist), 2.4 an FM station which simulcasts an AM talk radio station (this used to be an oldies station but changed rather abruptly), 2.5 the local public radio station (used to play classical music but switched to (mostly) NPR), 2.6 a station that used to be "music of your life" (old stuff that's not rock), but of late has been playing more recent mellow stuff...AM 1.1 the aforementioned talk radio station, 1.2 WSM Nashville, only during the night and often drowned out by Radio Havana and / or static, 1.3 WCBS New York (same reception problems as 1.2), 1.4 a news-on-the-minutes station, 1.5 the Port Charlotte oldies station, and 1.6 unset, tuned to the upper end of the AM dial.

If it wasn't for my iPod, I might not hear any music I actually want to listen to---but I can't plug my iPod into my car stereo.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Robert, if your car stereo plays audio cassette tapes, you can get a cassette-shaped adapter that should be able to plug into your iPod head-set plug.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Tried it, with two different kinds...it keeps ejecting. Nor did using an FM repeater (also two different kinds)...the signal comes in too faint to hear very well---I think the antenna is too far away from the transmitter to do much good.

(I use an FM repeater around the house, like, say, listening to my iPod through my shower radio.)

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Addendum on radio stations that change their names...there's a thing on some radios called "RDS" (Radio Data System, I think), that displays station identification and, more recently, song-and-artist and also commercial messages. Usually you find this on the more sophisticated recent car radios...I've got a couple of portable Grundig radios that display it, too, but it's harder to find a portable unit with it (or at least it was the last time I looked).
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

And we have a station named Jack. They follow with the dial number which I forget at the moment. It has been named Jack for a few years.

There was one called Crazy but it's call letters were Krzy so that fit. Actually it might have been the one called something hare. It might have been the Crazy Hare. It's logo was a rabbit playing an electric gaiter. They had a ten foot tall ballon they would blow up for each remote.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

In my travels, I've found there are a lot of country stations out there that call themselves "Cat Country" or "Kitty Country"---why, I'm not certain. (It's not having call letters beginning with "K for Kat"---most of my travels have been east of the Mississippi, where most stations begin with "W"...)

The aforementioned "The River" former Oldies station still has, far as I know, the call letters WOLZ...

snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Get satellite radio. The music is commericial free. They have tons of sports games on all the time. They have an extensive entertainment and talk format. And you won't lose the signal if you drive long distances.

You'll be guaranteed to have a handful of stations you'll gravitate too.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

- posted      Profile for Utahute72   Email Utahute72         Edit/Delete Post 
Snapper, I love mine. Started using in on the long drives out to the West Desert when I worked for the Government and no other radio was available. Also I love Radio Margarittaville.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

quote:
Get satellite radio. The music is commericial free.

Ah, but you get what you pay for.

I'm looking forward to my next car, which, I hope, will have plug-in connections for an iPod. I like a certain amount of control over what I'm listening to...I'm up to about forty-seven-hundred songs on my iPod and have just acquired some "Hard to Find 45s" CDs that I'll be downloading shortly.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I felt the need to clarify...it's not, essentially, forty-seven hundred "songs," I guess you'd say it's forty-seven hundred "tracks." There's some duplication, in particular among the Beatles tracks I've put on my iTunes / iPod.

In some cases I've got the same Beatles songs from up to five different CD releases---they're all different mixes in some way. I might delete some later but for right now they're all there, except oddities like "Revolution #9," which I didn't bother with, and "The Huge Medley" from Abbey Road, which I made a track of from the vinyl record because I couldn't figure out how to keep it all one track...

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Wow, I had this incredibly smart thing to write, I've been holding it in my head all day so I could put somewhere I knew it would be appreciated. And then it fell right out of my brain. Alas.

So, anyone have any good ideas on how to teach the Tempest? I'm building a unit plan for it and I have one whole day that's empty.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Pyre Dynasty

I have had the same problem. Sometimes i can sit and thing and think and it comes back to me out of whatever black hole it fell into, but other times it's lost for ever just as if it never existed.

As to teaching the Tempest, That depends on what you want to teach it.

Sorry, I couldn't help it..it was just too obvious.

Seriously I have no idea. But it seems like you could concentrate on the writer, the characters, or the plot, what makes it unique, why is it loved. Or different areas of the plot. Or try for all five. But I assume you know that already. Maybe try for some direction that not everyone uses.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Maybe if you used earplugs...
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
I bet the worst part about the Apocalypse will be Ace of Base telling us how they saw the sign.
Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

quote:
Actually, for some reason, I can't get to the last (55th) page of Random Musings. Tried from the forum page, tried from Page 54, tried from Page One. Did we finally "fill it till it won't fill no more?"

- Robert Nowall

So we can all get to this page but Robert can't? Nice!

So what does everyone really think about Robert?

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Well it worked this morning. Probably a problem at my end. My computer is slowing down and it may be approaching the time to abandon it and get a new one.

It was just this one page, though...

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to hear that it's working, Robert.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Here's something pretty random (I'm not even sure I haven't already posted this somewhere--so how's that for random?):

When I walk along a busy road, I can almost imagine that I'm walking along a beach--except that the smell isn't right, and I can't hear the sea birds.

What reminds me of the beach is the sound of the tires as the cars go past--not the engines--the tires. There's just enough of a sound on the road, and just enough of a doppler effect from the tires, that it sounds almost like surf.

The road I'm thinking of isn't so busy that there are constantly cars, and that adds to the effect, because the cars going past are just intermittent enough to sound surflike as well.

Not anywhere near as wonderful as really walking along a beach, listening to the surf, but it will do in a pinch.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

The deep bass rumbling and rattling of the trucks, and the wild revving of motorcycle engines, usually spoils the illusion for me. And it's only being at the side...driving on a road ruins everything.
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  52  53  54  55  56  57  58  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.