Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 83)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  80  81  82  83  84  85  86  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: Random musings.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Thought the traditional arrangement was Sloth (Gilligan), Anger (the Skipper), Greed (Mr. Howell),
Gluttony (Mrs. Howell), Lust (Ginger), Pride (the Professor), and Envy (Mary Ann).

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tesknota
Member # 10041

- posted      Profile for tesknota   Email tesknota         Edit/Delete Post 
Side note to the deadly sins: I've been listening to The Fellowship of the Rings, and I kept thinking "PRIDE! PRIDE!" when Boromir started talking to the council at Rivendell...
Posts: 252 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by tesknota:
Side note to the deadly sins: I've been listening to The Fellowship of the Rings, and I kept thinking "PRIDE! PRIDE!" when Boromir started talking to the council at Rivendell...

Indeed [Smile]
Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
Which moral traits, vices and virtues, then for Frodo, Samwise, Gandalf, Legolas, Gimli, and Aragorn? Note, seven for the heroes' ensemble cast if Borimir counts. Smeagle? Antagonist?
Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Disgruntled Peony
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for Disgruntled Peony   Email Disgruntled Peony         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by extrinsic:
Which moral traits, vices and virtues, then for Frodo, Samwise, Gandalf, Legolas, Gimli, and Aragorn? Note, seven for the heroes' ensemble cast if Borimir counts. Smeagle? Antagonist?

I started trying to figure this out, but it's been too long since I read the books or watched the movies, so I couldn't piece it together without extensive research. Unfortunately, I do not have time for that right now.
Posts: 745 | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I retired this morning.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post 
More writing time?

Phil.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I sure hope so.
Disgruntled Peony
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for Disgruntled Peony   Email Disgruntled Peony         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations on your retirement. I hope it goes well for you. [Smile]
Posts: 745 | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I'm hoping. But it's been accompanied by some unanticipated problems with my legs (pinched nerve?) and it kinda casts a pall on things. (Rest, and if it doesn't go away, doctors.)
extrinsic
Member # 8019

Retired twice, three more retirement events planned, two more anticipated, includes the utter and ultimate retirements.
Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I'm trying to avoid the ultimate retirement for a while. I knew a lot of guys who only made it a few months past. Personally, I plan to live forever or die trying.

Actually, retirement had just a little to do with finding more time to write, though I sure do hope to do that. A lot happened in my life in the past year. Things just reached the point where I felt I couldn't do it any more.

extrinsic
Member # 8019

Eye exam results, an annual necessity for diabetics due to retinopathy potentials (eye damage, even blindness): now presbyopic, have been myopic since childhood, never hypertropic; respectively, diminished near vision focus, nearsighted, and farsighted; some age-appropriate average cataract occlusion -- clouding and other occultations of the eye lenses.

These optical terms, too, entail negatively charged figurative connotations: myopic, nearsighted, focused solely on short-term processes and outcomes; presbyopic, unfocused, no focus whatsoever on any now or later process or outcome; farsighted, hypertropic, focused solely on long-term processes and outcomes. "Vision" depth of field, though, is a figurative representation of a focal length span that compasses balanced near-, intermediate-, and far-term processes and outcomes' focus.

Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post 
Distractions, distractions, and more distractions. Finally got my new laser printer working -- it actually prints text now.

Oooooooops! Fumble fingers.

Phil.

[ July 06, 2017, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: Grumpy old guy ]

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

Searched years for economical carver's chisels and found a set that met most of the criteria: hard high-carbon steel blades, quality wood long handles, suitable edge profiles, durable, and well-forged and well-fabricated. Other trial sets have failed on more than one criteria -- cheapness most of all.

The chisel blades came rough grind, though, and needed extensive tuneup and revision sharpening -- probably why the set cost $$ instead of $$$. At that price, some slack edge grind is anticipated, though the factory company takes lazy habit liberties based upon that presumption. More than a few hours expended on the edge tuneups, chisel sharpening tools and skills required anyway and learnt and acquired along the way.

Time traded for cost economy: no immediate, effortless gratification, rather, an achievement with a long-wanted payoff reward due to perseverance. Such is life. Such is creative writing.

Disgruntled Peony
Member # 10416

My husband and I are going to see a Metallica concert on Wednesday. I'm super excited. [Big Grin]
H Reinhold
Member # 10553

- posted      Profile for H Reinhold   Email H Reinhold         Edit/Delete Post 
Aww. Jealous. (But not as much as my husband is.) I hope you have a great time!
Posts: 76 | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

The latest round of malicious emails contain commented-out, hidden content in the source code that is personal contact information of several individuals: name, address, phone number, Social Security number, birth date, among a rash of gibberish.

HTML comment start code is the less-than glyph followed by an exclamation mark and two hyphens, hidden content next, the end code is two hyphens then the greater-than glyph. Comment code content does not display. Hatrack's UBB code ignores comment code. <!--content-->

Comment code often is used to post code writer memoranda, innocent, more or less, though might also contain malicious content, like secret communication of contact information or other coded message content. For secret messages between entity cells, nefarious or benevolent. Other comment codes are used for CSS, and etc.

This one email's host site domain is registered to a faked identity with faked registrant information. (Notice sent of domain abuse to ICANN watchdogs.) The message's inline links link to a bypass page that then redirects to an offshore site where the true mischief transpires.

Grammar errors in the message, the header, subject line, title, too, signal the malicious design of the operation. "_A_ Amazon Free Gift" for one. Indefinite article error, English second language common error.

For general information: the prescriptive hyphen separation for e-mail, electronic mail abbreviated, is now deprecated: "email" has now become the preference (e-mail, 1982 coin). Either is descriptive use, with now the greater preference and precedent use one unhyphenated word. Living language is ever lively.

[ July 17, 2017, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: extrinsic ]

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I have looked at source code for websites, but I'm not sure how to look at source code for emails.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

So many ways to access email source code, dependent on app. Maybe right click the open email message in an empty area, maybe at the message bottom, and select View Source or View Page Source. Different browsers and mail clients differ about how to access email source code, the above works for Outlook and IMAP, web mail apps. Outlook Express, select a message from a folder, like Inbox, right click the message, select Properties, select the Details tab, select the Message Source button. A basic text page opens with the source code therein.
extrinsic
Member # 8019

Noted this typo in a document: "moe-parking sign." A situational irony that unintentionally alludes to The Three Stooges' Moe. "Moe," pronounced mow, sounds like schmo, Yiddish for an idiot or cuckold, has become an idiom for Stooge-like moronic antics, like on-street parking in no-parking zones. What a Moe.

Contrarily, Japanese manga and anime loanword urban slang has picked up the same word spelling to refer to audience infatuation feelings toward affectionable, likeable or "moe" characters, pronounced Mow-ay.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Well, Moe Howard's real name was Moses Harry Horwitz, for what it's worth.
walexander
Member # 9151

- posted      Profile for walexander   Email walexander         Edit/Delete Post 
Bleep bleep bleep. forgot my password for two days. Almost caved and contacted KDW for a new one. For some reason, all I could do is remember the first one I had here. Been so busy writing I lost all my other brain cells along the way. Though I'd stop in and hit the login, and everything went blank. I'm a big don't write down your password kind of person. Now that I'm getting older I might have to rethink that.

W.

Posts: 634 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
As long as you can still access the email address you used when you registered, the system should be able to send you your password.

I write down clues for my passwords instead of the actual password.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walexander
Member # 9151

- posted      Profile for walexander   Email walexander         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, K. I'll remember that.

W.

Posts: 634 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Disgruntled Peony
Member # 10416

...So, my job has been so consistently stressful since I took the store manager position that I nearly had a full-fledged nervous breakdown yesterday. I gave my boss my two weeks' notice today (closer to three, really). I didn't want to, but it seemed preferable to getting fired or going insane. I'm giving my boss a little extra time so It's easier for him to fill the position.
extrinsic
Member # 8019

Best wishes for pleasant and healthy navigation of those stressful shoals. May writing successes take up some of the self-actualization! And may a more suitable vocation present in the near future.

[ August 01, 2017, 01:31 PM: Message edited by: extrinsic ]

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

So have you got something else lined up yet?
Disgruntled Peony
Member # 10416

No. [Frown] I know exactly how bad an idea it is to quit a job without having something else lined up, but it seemed preferable to having to mention I've been fired to every company that asks. I'm putting in applications to all sorts of jobs and will continue to do so. I just can't keep doing this anymore. The manifestations of stress have become physically painful and emotionally traumatic.

To clarify, toward the beginning of July my DM told me I had until the end of August to fix a bunch of problems with the store that I've been trying to fix for the last year and a half. He also implied that I would lose my job if I couldn't do it. That stress, compounded with all of the other problems and my inability to resolve them, has been causing panic attacks and stomach pains for the last month.

I thought I was making progress with the store. Then a coworker who was supposed to be covering for two other people who were out of town was a) late, and b) left after an hour because she was so sick she needed to go to the emergency room. There was no one else to cover, so I ended up alone most of my shift on the busiest tag day of the month (we had both weekly and monthly tags to put up, and a ton of both). All of my efforts to catch us up essentially got wiped away with one unexpected and ill-timed sick day. I broke down crying in the store at one point on Sunday, a fact I am not proud of.

So, yeah. Can't do it anymore.

[ August 01, 2017, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: Disgruntled Peony ]

extrinsic
Member # 8019

Consider keeping filed all employment records from that job that are in your possession. I've worked at places like that, that abuse employees, and followed law suits about those job types and work locations -- problem units of multi-branch outfits. Corporate executives, administrators, and regional managers get away with the lion's share of wage theft because abused employees don't keep and have documented proof of job descriptions, work manuals, work hours, pay, employment, etc., when needed for a claim. Class action labor lawsuits can take several years to surface and a decade or so to settle.
extrinsic
Member # 8019

Went to reinstate the utility trailer registration yesterday. The registration had lapsed the year before; the trailer had been idle and I just forgot. The trailer is a kit-build and of modest real value. According to government records, the current appraised value had increased 2500 percent and the property tax followed suit. How I wish all my property appreciated 2500 genuine percent in one year.

A day spent back and forth across town, across four state and municipal agencies, and on the phone wrangled the mangle. Actual true value restored and tax paid and registration renewed.

I remain baffled how the appraisal increased so precipitously: deliberate malfeasance, prank, clerical error, punitive for my lapse, computer glitch, whatever. A concerned-citizen call to the community council person is indicated.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Had to change the registry on a car recently, from my (late) father to my mother. (I have my mother's power of attorney.) Took two days, and on the first day they told me I needed something I didn't have and, as it worked out, didn't need.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Nowall:
Had to change the registry on a car recently, from my (late) father to my mother. (I have my mother's power of attorney.) Took two days, and on the first day they told me I needed something I didn't have and, as it worked out, didn't need.

That last is good even though frustrating
Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Helping my wife with her dad. For the last three months or so his health has been failing. It started when he fell-I was with him-and couldn't get up. I got him up twice but he wouldn't stay up. So I call 911. Turned out to be A urinary tract infection that had gotten into his blood. They finally solved that but he still has problems walking. He fell a fourth time and broke four ribs--that was with 24 hour care but he had wanted to use the bathroom by himself. So His children decided to talk him into moving to a retirement center with assisted living. My wife is now going through his stuff to get his house ready to sell. Getting rid of furniture he now doesn't need and rid of lots and lots of paper work. Now we find his house has fleas, they seem to be very active all of a sudden. He never had any pets. So I have been watering his place and in some other ways helping.
More stuff going on but this is the condensed story. He is losing his memory and dementia is setting in.

telflonmail
Member # 9501

- posted      Profile for telflonmail   Email telflonmail         Edit/Delete Post 
Killer Robots. Yes, there is a movement trying to ban them.
Posts: 116 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
telflonmail
Member # 9501

- posted      Profile for telflonmail   Email telflonmail         Edit/Delete Post 
In memory, Brian Aldiss.
Posts: 116 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

Happy US solar eclipse day! And safe . . .
tesknota
Member # 10041

Feeling the first effects of Hurricane Harvey - a continuous, dismal rainfall, and no water in grocery stores. =\

Also, I got a job and gained confidence in my pot roast. =)

Posts: 252 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Hang in there!

We lived in Victoria TX when a hurricane came inland. When you live in a relatively flat area, there's no high ground.

Best wishes.

And congrats on the job and the pot roast. [Smile]

tesknota
Member # 10041

Thanks Kathleen!

Looks like the hurricane isn't moving as predicted and won't hit my area too much, though we still expect some flooding from the bayous. The bad news is that there's some major damage along the coastal cities.=(

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Been there done that. (Hurricane Charley.) Keep alert.
extrinsic
Member # 8019

Been through a few dozen hurricanes myself. Coastal areas take the worst water surge and wind brunt; inland, the worst rain deluge and floods. Curious that coastal areas recover quicker than inland areas do. Several hurricanes I rode out at the coast and was back full stride in a few days; inland, several weeks or up to a month for flood basins to drop to normal levels.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

I am worried about Victoria. Looks like it's getting the worst in all directions.
tesknota
Member # 10041

I might have spoken too soon; 95% of Houston is terrible. Somehow, I'm in the lucky 5%. I just lost power this morning, and water still works. The silver lining to losing power is that I've been reading OSC's "How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy" again for the first time in many years. Every time I read it, it feels like I'm learning everything anew. Maybe that means I'm bad at retaining information? =)

Hurricane's moving east finally, but Victoria probably isn't doing too well... =( It might even be on the list for mandatory evacuations... I know Matagorda county had to evacuate.

Flooding in Houston will stay for at least the rest of this week, but it'll probably take longer like extrinsic is saying. The community has really come together though. I can't even volunteer because there's such a surplus of volunteers. We'll recover. =)

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Sympathies. I was *very* lucky in Hurricane Charley---the power wasn't out long enough for the food in my refrigerator to get warm. Relatives and friends lost power for days.

Watch out---Hurricane Harvey is a not-unprecedented-but-unusual hurricane. Looks like it'll go offshore and come back somewhere east of Houston. The winds will pick up again and possibly blow water where it hasn't gone before.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Thanks for the update, tesknota. Hang in there!
extrinsic
Member # 8019

The malspam tapered off this summer. Haven't received an attack email since mid August. Six months of assault done because the So-and-sos lost interest!?
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:
Originally posted by extrinsic:
The malspam tapered off this summer. Haven't received an attack email since mid August. Six months of assault done because the So-and-sos lost interest!?

shouldn't that be mailspam ??????

[Smile]

Whatever the case good thing you are not being attacked so much, they may have gone off for other targets or so a squirrel so got distracted.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

We know more about what is happening in Houston now but glad to know the worse missed you, tesknota,-at least by your last post.
extrinsic
Member # 8019

Mal, prefix mal- and short for malice, malicious, malevolent, malefactor, Latin origin malus: "bad," yada. "Mal de mer," French, 1778: seasickness, like malware is nauseous-noxious nuisance, at least if not fallen for. One thing learned, attention span of about six months could mean new target address lists update about twice a year or so!? (Cyberpunk feature maybe.) Now to stay off the Malweb radar for a time and miss out on the next cycle.
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  80  81  82  83  84  85  86  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.