FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Lost" discussion *including spoilers* (Page 17)

This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23   
Author Topic: "Lost" discussion *including spoilers*
Crotalus
Member # 7339

- posted      Profile for Crotalus   Email Crotalus         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I saw what I wanted to see then. Mind games indeed!
Posts: 232 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard Kelvin (like the guy with the absolute temperature scale). Maybe I misheard though.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, pfresh, I think you're right.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
lma, I also read something about Einstein's Unified Field Theory and the Philadelphia Experiment as a possible plot for the island. It would explain the pilot's comment about them not being seen on radar.

TOE is a cool theory, though I'm not sure I'd want to read the mind of God.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

No discussion this week?

First of all, I'd like to say that my theories were correct. I apologise for the shamesless gloat.

1. That the "other" group of survivors is living out the Hobbesian theory of the state of nature. It's nasty, brutish and short. Seemingly, the woman has taken the number of survivors down from 23 (ahem) to about eight (ahem), compared to the 48 (ahem) to the about 42 (ahem) in the other camp. Where Locke is a member (ahem).

2. That there are other bunkers. That was clearly an abandoned bunker. The symbol on the wall was the same, except without the swan. In the place of the swan was something that looked a bit like a cross, except the horizontal bar was detailed.

This show is starting to get on my nerves, though. It's still good, gripping, interesting, etc. Just something about it, perhaps the suspense, is starting to wear thin. Now I watch it as a prediction excercise: This group is Locke, the other is Hobbes. I get satisfaction out of being right, as you can see, but I don't get satisfaction out being surprised, even if I am surprised.

*sigh*

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
What makes you think Ana Lucia is the reason the 23 dwindled to only a few?

From the "next episode" blurb, it looks like they've been dealing directly with the territory of the "real" Others, who judging by Ethan and the boat people are possibly superhuman, psychic, and definitely killers.

Ana Lucia might turn out to be the only reason even a few of them are still alive.

So...your theory may still be wrong! Nyah. [Wink]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

She seems pretty... tough.

And the people seemed to be arguing and giving each other and Ana Lucia sideways glances.

Yeah, I might be wrong.

[Wink]

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

She seems pretty... tough.

Sawyer, Jin, and Michael meanwhile come off as fluffy wuzzy bunny boys? [Big Grin]

To say nothing of harmless, oh-so undangerous seeming Locke.

And the people seemed to be arguing and giving each other and Ana Lucia sideways glances.

Not that the Islanders on the other side ever did things like that. *ahem* [Wink]

Yeah, I might be wrong.

So might I. I still think the reason numbers are so small is because of "The Others", though.

Or possibly their side of the Island has a more lethal version of the "Security System"?

[ October 16, 2005, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: Puffy Treat ]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
It sure did my heart good to see Rose put that candy bar in her pocket to save for her hubby. [Big Grin]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Wasn't that just the sweetest thing?

Even if the tropical heat means that she'll have a pocket of goo by mid-morning, nice gesture. *ahem*

Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
Sawyer, Jin, and Michael meanwhile come off as fluffy wuzzy bunny boys? [Big Grin]
Yes, but they were kept in line by the rest of the group. If that hadn't happened, things would have dissolved into madness.

quote:
It sure did my heart good to see Rose put that candy bar in her pocket to save for her hubby. [Big Grin]
I'm not sure it did the candy bar any good. It's going to be melted when he gets it.
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
This article discussing the events of last night mentioned two things that I am not sure have been mentioned yet in this thread:

• Shannons Father is the man Jack let die in order to save his future wife.
  • Walts gibberish speaking was actually him speaking backwards (they don't mention what he was saying though).

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

Here is an mp3 that someone created, reversing the dialog. What do you guys think it says? I don't want to taint what you hear by saying what I hear.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus
Member # 7339

- posted      Profile for Crotalus   Email Crotalus         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so glad that character is dead. She was annoying. And the girl that shot her..well maybe this will bring her down a few notches.
Posts: 232 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
"Push the button, the puddings bad."
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Ana annoys me worse than Shannon. She gives strong women a bad name.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I hear "Press the button, no button's bad." I could be off though. I'm more sure of the first part than the second part.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silent E
Member # 8840

- posted      Profile for Silent E   Email Silent E         Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering why there wasn't more discussion of Lost here recently (I mean apart from the last two weeks of reruns). I have heard fans saying that this season doesn't live up to the promise of last season, but I disagree. I have enjoyed this season's episodes immensely. Last night was great. The single blemish in my mind was Ana Lucia. I don't think that actress does a very good job, nor do they give her very good lines or a very interesting personality, at least not yet. I hope next week's "extended" episode remedies some of that.
Posts: 202 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

Okay, well there are a couple of opinions anyway. What I hear is "Where's the button? Don't, button's bad."

I have messed around with some audio filtering using Goldwave and that is what I keep coming back to.

[ November 10, 2005, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: solo ]

Aerto
Member # 8810

- posted      Profile for Aerto   Email Aerto         Edit/Delete Post 
The "don't push the button, the button's bad" (or some people think it is actually "push the button, no button's bad") was from earlier in the season.

Last night's Walt talking backwards is available here and it appears to be much clearer as to what is being said: www.weapons-of-mass-distraction.com/walt.wav

Posts: 102 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

404'd!

That link appears to be broken.

Aerto
Member # 8810

- posted      Profile for Aerto   Email Aerto         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry about that. Go here to find the original link: http://p073.ezboard.com/flosttheunofficalforumfortheabcseriesfrm2.showMessageRange?topicID=5265.topic&start=1&stop=20

It should be available in the third post down.

Posts: 102 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

Here is an mp3 with the clip from last night, forward then reversed.
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
I hear "Press the button. No button's bad." from Solo's .mp3 file. <edit> and the new one sounds more like "I'm coming and they're close" or "I'm coming in their clothes" to me </edit>

Ding dong the witch is dead.

How will Sayid react to Shannon's death?

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm kind of bummed that Shannon is dead because now there will be no more Boon in her flashbacks. [Smile] But then, she was really REALLY annoying.

I would have rather ditched Ana Lucia though. I agree with y'all that she stinks and her dialogue stinks. I'd love to see the rest of the group eat her alive, but we won't know what they do to her because now they're going to pull what annoys me the most about this series: Let's go back and look at that from another point of view! I think we'll see the 'back passengers' for the next few weeks and be left hanging about Sayid and the rest of the gang. [Mad]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

I really hope not. It does look that way but maybe the flashbacks for next weeks episode will actually be of them on the other side and we will still get some progression with the original cast.
T_Smith
Member # 3734

"I'm coming in their clothes"

Come on, Walt... keep that to yourself, dude.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silent E
Member # 8840

I thought last night's episode was pretty good. There were no flashbacks, but then the whole episode was basically one long flashback. Ana Lucia's character was fleshed out a bit, and she now seems a little less hateful and annoying. I think that this second group of survivors may have a couple of characters that will become as beloved as some of the originals

We also learned more about the Others. One thing we learned was that they aren't as scary or powerful as reported. They only "attacked" the tail-section survivors twice, kidnapping a total of twelve people. They don't seem to have killed anybody at all, did they? And the tail-sectioners managed to kill three or four of the Others with, well, rocks. I don't think the Others are anything to be afraid of, after all.

We also got to learn a few tantalizing details about the others through Goodwin, the spy. I still need to mull over what he told Ana Lucia, though.

Finally, Mr. Eko just keeps getting better and better.

Posts: 202 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

So was Ethan one of the others? I seem to remember him possessing super-human strength, which is definitely something to be afraid of if the other 'Others' have that. Maybe Ethan is a separate animal entirely?
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silent E
Member # 8840

One of my regrets is that I missed at least half of the first season, and that includes every episode involving Ethan. The only things I know about him are things I've read online, and that isn't much. So I can't answer your question.

Although, if the Others had amazing strength, they should have been able to beat Eko, especially outnumbering him 2 to 1, shouldn't they?

Narnia
Member # 1071

Yeah. That's why I"m doubting that Ethan was an 'other.' So now I'm wondering, "What in the hell WAS he?" *shrug* I guess we might find out. One day.
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Silent E:
They don't seem to have killed anybody at all, did they?

Except, of course, poor Nathan (or Dr. Mike Burton, as I will always remember him).

I liked last night's episode alright, and I hate Ana Lucia somewhat less because of the occassional shots of the actress with an expression other than petulent anger. However, I think the writing is going from bad to worse:
"You waited 40 days to talk?"
"You waited 40 days to cry."
PIABALIITK (Puke in a bucket and leave it in the kitchen)

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't the Others attack the original cast once or twice. Maybe they haven't concentrated their efforts on them because there are more of them.
And I'm still not convinced Ethan had super-human strength.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think Ethan had super-human strength. Charlie and Claire aren't exactly a tough couple to take on. When Ethan first fought Jack, Jack hadn't slept in a long time and was exhausted. The second time, when Jack was rested, he was able to take Ethan out pretty easily. Other than lifting Charlie up by his throat (a standard of tough guys in movie and television for years), there doesn't seem to be any reason to assume he was anything more than regular strength.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

"And I'm still not convinced Ethan had super-human strength. "

Neither am I. Strong? Yeah. Super strong? Uh.... no.

Silent E
Member # 8840

On that note, I do think that Eko is one heck of a big asset to be added to the main body of survivors. I know I wouldn't mess with him.
Narnia
Member # 1071

Jack certainly couldn't take Ethan out during that last showdown they had before Charlie shot him. I'd watch it again. It seemed to me to definitely be a case of "Jack had no chance" against that guy.

I think Ethan was something else entirely. He always seemed to work alone.

Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
How can you say Jack had no chance when Jack got him down on the ground and pinned? If you will recall, Ethan was already surrounded and pretty docile when Charlie shot him. Perhaps you should watch again.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
You remember the African American woman who wouldn't talk at the beginning of last season? I originally thought that Mr. Eko was her husband, but now I think it was the guy they found up in the tree.

Things that make you go hmmmmmmm.

Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
Bernard is her husband (the guy in the tree). That was actually established when Michael, Sawyer and Jin were brought into the bunker on the other side. Bernard came over and asked them if a woman named Rose (the African American lady)was alive on the other side. When they said she was, he smiled and said, Rose "is my wife."
Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Ethan was one of the Others--he seemed very similar to the second guy (name?) that Ana Lucia killed, with the same way of talking when he was in "Other-mode".

It was a good choice for the writers to summarize the tail end's first 40 days in one episode. They made it interesting enough in a brief time, much better than whole episodes where we wonder what happens after Shannon is shot.

As for Walt's back-speak, here's what I got:

"Push the button, .... button's bad."

"They're coming and they're close."

Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Jack certainly couldn't take Ethan out during that last showdown they had before Charlie shot him.
That's not the way I remember it happening. I thought Charlie shot Ethan after Jack had beaten him.

I looked it up on the episode guide at ABC. This is from Ep.12
quote:
Jack slips and slides down a bank into a puddle of mud. He looks up to see Ethan standing over him. Ethan orders Jack to stop following him. But when Jack asks who he is and where Charlie and Claire are, Ethan delivers a healthy punch to Jack's face, knocking him back down. He tells Jack once again to stop following him or he'll kill one of his people. Jack attempts to fight him off, but Ethan is too strong and gains the upper hand, telling Jack this is his last warning and knocking him out.
This doesn't seem to indicate that Ethan was stronger than Jack, but not super-human. Like AR, I think picking someone up by the throat is just a TV/movie gimmick. This is from Ep.15.
quote:
Jack, Kate, Sayid, Locke and Sawyer lie in wait until Ethan makes his move and then Jack POUNCES on Ethan, losing his gun in the tussle. They go back and forth in a vicious fight and Jack shows a side of himself we haven't yet seen. He beats Ethan into submission and the others arrive with their guns to ensure he doesn't get away. Now, it's time to get some answers, but Ethan is shot several times from off screen. We reveal Charlie who followed the team out on their "hunt" and picked up Jack's gun when he lost it in the fight. As Ethan dies all hopes of an interrogation are lost.
It looks like Jack beat him fair and square.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always liked Michelle Rodríguez, because she reminds me of my wife. This last episode confirmed for me that she was a good choice, despite all the above nay-saying. Tough Hispanic women who don't take shit from anyone are a welcome change from previous archetypes, IMO.
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Yeah my bad. I just remember thinking that Ethan beat Jack with less effort than he should have. I also thought he was rather other-worldly because of the way he seemed to cart Charlie and Claire off all by himself...but now that I think about it, he probably had help, just like the 'others' spy with Ana Lucia's group.
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Couple of ideas off-the-cuff:

Eko (or Echo? Not sure.) was able to fight the Others off, while other members of the party were killed. I think this may be because they were trying to take him alive, because he was not only a threat, but "good".

Could there be more than one group of "Others"? There are supposed to be six bunkers, yes? Who knows what the purpose of the other ones is. (For that matter, what was the purpose of the one the tail survivors were inhabiting, and was that purpose somehow failed?)

I'm kind of buying into the idea that there was something supernatural about Ethan. Something about the way he moved, and that he was able to take Charlie and Claire alone (and I do think it was alone, otherwise Claire wouldn't have been able to escape)

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone else notice that they avoided using any pronouns whatsoever for Ana Lucia's "Danny"? Is it possible that it should be spelled "Dani"?

I tend to notice when people play the pronoun game. Occupational hazard.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
Why aren't we talking about last nights episode?!?! I thought it was really good.
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
THT: I thought Kate kissing Jack was hot. I like him a lot more than Sawyer.

The whole scene leading up to Kate blowing up Wayne with him trying to pull her into bed was so much creepier looking back on in with the knowelge that Wayne's her dad.

I seriously dislike Kate's mom.

Lisa: I usually notice when people play the pronoun game, but I didn't this time. She did sorta ping my 'dar when she was in her full cop outfit though.

It seems odder to me that a woman would leave her no-longer-preggers and dying wife than a man though.

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
They might not have been married. And if Danny is actually a Dani, then Ana Lucia could have gotten pregnant by cheating on her. We still don't quite know her whole backstory.

So, anyone wanna place bets on how long it'll be before Kate bites the big one?

1) We have her entire backstory now
2) She's resolved her big issue
3) Killing her off acts a big emotional lever for Jack and Sawyer

Judging by the other character deaths on the show, I'd say it's not looking too good for her.

Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Kate's backstory might be complete, she she's still the hypotenus of the love triangle.

'sides... she's... ummm *really* cute...

Pix

This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.