FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Kingdom of Loathing (Page 19)

This topic comprises 32 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  30  31  32   
Author Topic: The Kingdom of Loathing
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Narnia, you get the rims from the hermit.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Where is the hermit???
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
You buy a hermit permit at the market and then you will find him in the mountains. Be sure you have a worthless trinket (from the sewer) to trade him for the sweet rims.

[ July 26, 2004, 09:26 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Go to the market in town and buy a hermit permit. Now go to the mountains. You'll see the Hermitage. This is where the Hermit lives. You'l need to fish a worthless trinket out of the sewer with a piece of gum on a string to trade with him.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

*grumbles* didn't I already have to do this for something else?
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

thanks guys, finally succeeded
[Big Grin]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Narnia, you'll find that you need to visit the hermit relatively often -- although by the time you get something that makes visiting him less of a pain, you won't need to visit him as much. Life is like that.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

[Big Grin] I'm amazed that you guys figured all of this out without someone to tell you how to do it. I would NEVER have remembered that the rims were at the hermit's from the first time I visited him. I would have just wasted turns and turns at the knoll trying to get the stinking rims. [Smile]
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh cool! Apparently if you're a high enough level, you don't need to wear the cold-weather gear to go to the Icy Peak! Makes it a lot less of a hassle....

So, when the Hole in the Sky becomes too easy for your character, what do you do next? Philanthropic ventures? [Wink]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
If anybody happens to have some spare Fairy Gravy lying around, I'd be open to a deal. I can't get throught the cave without it and I've wasted about 40 or 50 turns in the Haiku dungeon trying to get some.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
I think people start concentrating on ventures that will make them money. Lots seem to get buffs for money, take a leprechaun and go to the icy peak. I'm sure a lot of others go to lower level places that produce high value items, such as the Deep Fat Friars Gate for hellion cubes, etc. Stores take a lot of stocking I'm sure. Alcohol products are probably big as well.

edit- meat, I meant meat.

[ July 27, 2004, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: Happy Camper ]

Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, once the Hole in the Sky is too easy (and I have to say I haven't reached that point yet, but I can cope pretty well), AND you've finished the Naughty Sorceress quest (or what there is of if) then there's really not much to do, except more of the same.

Hopefully more content will be added soon, or the reset will happen, or something. For now, I'm working on leveling up my other characters. I might use my Accordion Thief, who has completed everything, to collect food/meat/items for my other characters.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"I might use my Accordion Thief, who has completed everything, to collect food/meat/items for my other characters."

Note that this is technically against the rules and spirit of the game.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it? I mean, I know farming is, but it seems like the designer intends SOME cross-character effort. The Turtle-Tamer and Seal-Clubber smithing and the Sauceror and Pastamancer cooking, for instance?
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

*nod* But I think the idea is that you do these for other players, not yourself; the rule of thumb he's laid down is "if you find yourself advancing faster with one character much faster than he'd advance without the other character, don't do it."
zgator
Member # 3833

I've been thinking of my 3 characters as a mini-clan. If one of my guys finds an item another one has been needing, I send it over to him. The same goes with food items and occasionally, money.

How is that different than the clan stash?

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Well, for one thing, it's perfectly coordinated -- unlike a clan. For another, it's a bit more masturbatory than a clan.

I understand that this kind of thing happens, but it's remarkably unfun. It's one step from people taping down a key on their keyboard so they can craft all day.

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

What good are Hey Deze Nuts, which you get from the Heavy Metal Sonata and the Heavy Metal Guitarr and the Hey Deze Map?

Edit: Ahh, OK-I have the ketchup hound, but no plans.

[ July 27, 2004, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: Rakeesh ]

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
They help in the construction of a pagoda (thumbs up to the pagoda, it's pagodatastic). You need to use an elf raffle ticket while holding a 10 leaf clover to get the pagoda plans. Then you need to use a ketchup hound (found in the Palindome). I think that's the order of things.
Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Disregard, I figured it out. I'm guessing a Pagoda is just like a super-house?
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
zgator:

Message WhoosyWhatsit from the account that needs fairy gravy and I'll send it. I have an extra.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Who is Jebus Chicken Heart (besides someone with a tasteless name)?
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Jebus, I'd imagine.
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

You'd think, but I've come across a lot of people on the internet who use that name or variations thereon.

So I'm still waiting to hear for sure.

rubble
Member # 6454

- posted      Profile for rubble           Edit/Delete Post 
My first taste of hell ramen. Now that's some noodles!

You gain 22 Adventures.
You gain 23 Fortitude.
You gain a Muscle point!
You gain 20 Mysteriousness.
You gain 24 Smarm.
You gain 272 Meat

kk

Posts: 270 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Azile
Member # 2312

- posted      Profile for Azile   Email Azile         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't get myself to eat my Hell Ramen. It's like 20,000 meat gone in one gulp.
Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rubble
Member # 6454

- posted      Profile for rubble           Edit/Delete Post 
Azile,

What do you spend most of your money on? Have you found a more efficient way of obtaining experience?

Posts: 270 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

I think maybe Azile means it's a 20,000 Meat sale in the Mall down the drain, not that that much was spent to buy it.

It's actually very, very easy to make. The only item that has to be picked up from monsters are Hellion Cubes, and they drop with some regularity in the Deep Fat Friar woods. (although I actually haven't tried to get any since I finished that quest-they may be much harder, now)

TomDavidson
Member # 124

I'll never get people who sell things for multiple thousands in the mall. It's absolutely ridiculous -- not so much that they'd sell them, but that anyone would buy them.
Zeugma
Member # 6636

It makes more sense to waste precious adventures collecting all the ingredients?
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, say you're a high level player and can make money and stats fairly easily in just a few adventures. Then adventures are a more valuable commodity to you than money. People would not buy things at the cost they're at unless they gained an advantage in doing so.

There are also time and information factors. For example, if you can buy beer goggles for 4950 meat instead of buying 2 beer lenses (at 2300 meat each=4600) and combining them (+10 meat= total of 4610 meat) simple economics would say that you would always buy the 2 beer lenses and combine them rather buying the beer goggles...unless the opportunity cost of spending the time buying the beer lenses, making meat paste and combining them is too great (i.e. the time doing that is more valuable than the extra 340 meat you'd spend buying the beer goggles).

The information factors are knowing a)that you can get beer lenses in the Typical Tavern, b)that two beer lenses combine to make beer goggles, c)knowing how to combine things (though everyone should have learned that from the Oriole). Not everyone uses the KoL helper. Not everyone has a guild to help them out. I'm sure there are ignorant people on KoL; in fact figuring out all this stuff is kind of fun and is part of the allure.

Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man. I just like had some really groovy brownies man but they like left me all confused and now I'm trippin'.
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

Someone explain to me why anyone would buy a Hermit Permit in the mall for 130 or 140 meat when they are always available for 100.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Because maybe you are already in the mall, and don't want to bother with the clicks it would take to go to the market square?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Azile
Member # 2312

Currently, I am high enough to do the Naughty Sorceress quest, so I am spending my adventures attempting to do that. Before there were no quest for me to do, so I just bought a mall and scrounged around for pieces for Hell Ramen.

After making meat off a lot of Hell Ramen with ingredients I collected myself (in addition to other items I sold), I made enough to start buying ingredients from other people, cook it, and selling it for 20,000 meat.

Therefore, I no longer waste very much, if any at all, adventures by selling HR's.

To tell you the truth, apart from the quests (which will run out after the NS), the game itself is getting progressively dull for me. I'm not very interested in player to player combat. So... without quest, what is there for me to do? Nothing really. The only fun thing to do, is sell stuff at the mall. When I don't feel like looking for items myself, I just buy items at the mall that are very cheap and sell it for a slightly higher price.

So once my quests are all over, the fun of the game for me would pretty much come from making as much meat as I can. Do I spend the meat on anything? Not really, aside from buying out other items and selling them for profit.

Basically, I am just making meat...for the sake of making meat. That's my goal. A game can't maintain my interest, if I don't have a goal.

Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

I assume you already explored the entire game and there's nothing you don't know about it? For me, that's what's fun - exploring new areas and finding new items, new disguises, new potions, etc. Have you really completed all the quests? Or are there some you haven't gotten to?
Azile
Member # 2312

Well, actually, you just reminded me. The Palindrome. I haven't done that yet. [Smile]

Well, as long as there is still stuff for me to do, the game will continue hold my interest.

edit to add: I am currently on my Naughty Sorceress quest.

[ July 27, 2004, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: Azile ]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

My point, though, is this: I can dependably obtain the ingredients I need for Hell Ramen in about 25 adventures, over the course of which I will probably obtain numerous other ingredients for other things and improve my stats at the same time.

On the other hand, it would take me considerably more than 25 adventures to rack up 20,000 meat in order to purchase someone else's Hell Ramen. Consider a more outrageous example: an eyepatch I saw going for 40,000 meat. Who would buy this? Why would anyone spend 40,000 meat on this? Even pessimistically assuming that it would take you 40 adventures to obtain an eyepatch, you're still looking at 1,000 meat per adventure -- which seems unlikely.

Azile
Member # 2312

I think that person just put it in their store for show. He's not planning to sell it. The cheapest eyepatch is going for 750 and there's a lot more selling for around that price.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Today is a Moxie day, and Grues can be used.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Wow, if you don't have a Pagoda in your campsite, get one. 38 HP and 47 MP restored.

Edit: Double-wow. If you can reguarly adventure on the Icy Peak, stay there-I've made 20,000 meat in one day's worth of adventuring. I've got a Sauceror who can cast Elemental Saucersphere so you can keep your good items on, if anyone wants some buffs.

[ July 28, 2004, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: Rakeesh ]

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Oh, and Jeff A Cordingly and Bernie the Bernaise are requesting invitation, please. (Especially the Sauceror)
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I adventured in the new Limerick Dungeon and got Dungeoneer Dungarees!

Though the limericks don’t all demonstrate a grasp of the concept of meter.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

Ohhhh, the buff! That's why I can go to the Peak without the cold weather gear. [Embarrassed]
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Yeah, I get stomped up there if I'm wearing the crappy X-Treme snowboarding gear. However, once I got some very MP-cheap buffs, I could keep my regular gear on. With my L9 Disco Bandit I could kill two or three Yetis before having to Power Disco Nap.

Edit: Oh, and could someone explain PvP to me? How it works in KoL, I mean. Does it still take adventures? Can one continue to adventure in the normal locations? What happens when you're killed by an enemy?

[ July 28, 2004, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: Rakeesh ]

Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Do what with the what, now?
You're in a dark and dank cave.

An empty treasure chest sits near the rear wall.

What now? __________

Okay what now?
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

Look behind the chest.

Oh, and you might want to say 'plugh'. You'll be pleasantly surprised I think.

[ July 28, 2004, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: Happy Camper ]

zgator
Member # 3833

I understand that gives HUGE stat increases. Just how much does it give you?
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

It's 100 minor of each stat, which is huge at the lower levels when you get the map.
zgator
Member # 3833

I knew there was a secret word, but I would've never guessed that. How did you figure it out?

Nevermind, I googled it. It vaguely rings a bell now.

[ July 28, 2004, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: zgator ]

This topic comprises 32 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  30  31  32   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.