FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Kingdom of Loathing (Page 10)

This topic comprises 32 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  30  31  32   
Author Topic: The Kingdom of Loathing
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
Tip: Don't go to the sewer if you have a clover! Some nasty gnomes or something tried to beat me up and take it!
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rubble
Member # 6454

- posted      Profile for rubble           Edit/Delete Post 
sndrake

With sapling and fertilizer in hand use the map. All else is automatic.

Posts: 270 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, going to the sewer if you have a clover in hand can be quite rewarding.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
Really? All they offered me was junk... should I have taken something?
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,

curious - what did you get out of the sewer when you had the clover? I assume from your message that you did. [Smile]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes! I finally got the filthy corduroys. Now I can dress like a hippy and shop at the hippy store. Cool.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
I finally managed to get my bartender-in-the-box yesterday. I was quite pleased about that.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Vito Linguini, Keesh the Jungle Boogier, CaySedai and Rita Rotini are in.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I just renamed my mosquito Ken Lay. Is that wrong?
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Yes, Dan, it's wrong.

Here's why - YOUR bloodsucker actually tries to help someone with the blood it takes.

Ken Lay just engorged himself, leaving a shell of a company, tons of unemployed people, and bankrupt pensions.

(Of course, you could make the case that Lay gave some of it to people like our current president, but where would that analogy leave YOU, Dan?) [Wink]

[ July 09, 2004, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

No, Ken Lay gave the blood he sucked to one other person, his loving and adoring wife.

Remember her. She is the one that cried on national TV that the collapse of Enron effected their family as much or worse than others. She explained that some families had to sell there home. Big deal. She had to sell several of their homes, leaving them with just a few mansions left.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Nah, he was more generous than that...

Working for Change - "Give it Back, George"

quote:
Ken Lay and his Enron team are the Number One political career donors to George W. Bush. Mr. Lay and his Mrs., with no money to pay back bilked creditors, still managed to personally put up $100,000 for George's inaugural Ball plus $793,110 for personal donations to Republicans. Lay's Enron team dropped $4.2 million into the party that let Enron party.
Wasn't just Bush, though...

*returns this thread to unadulterated KOL fluffiness*

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
What exactly are the familiars good for? Are there more than just the mos-skwee-toe?
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Different familiars have different abilities. One of my characters has a gravy fairy. The gravy fairy increases the amount of "stuff" that gets picked up on an adventure - stats, objects, meat.
Azile
Member # 2312

- posted      Profile for Azile   Email Azile         Edit/Delete Post 
My Baby Gravy fairy gives me more items.
My fuzzy dice does random things.
My grue it attacks enemies but only on certain moon positions.
A leprecaun gives you more meat (that appears to be the favorite of most people)
And of course, there's more.

Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

Between all my characters, I have the following familiars:

Mosquito
Gravy Fairy
Ghuol Whelp
Bloody Volleyball
Grue
Goat
Levitating Potato
Pirate Skeleton
Leprechaun
Fuzzy Dice

Can't remember if I have more, but I know there are some I still want. Like the Cocoabo.

Azile
Member # 2312

Which one do you use usually?
Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

When I'm pretty comfortable defeating things, but trying to level up, I use the Bloody Volleyball.

When I'm struggling a little to defeat things, I use the Ghuol Whelp to help heal up after battles.

And when I'm trying to stock up on food, or to find an item that is eluding me, I use the Gravy Fairy.

I rarely use any of the others.

CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Somebody stop me!

WhoosyWhatsit is also me and I've applied for the clan. I wanted another cook. (Bad me)

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
One that hasn't been mentioned here yet is the Balloon Monkey. Made of 4 skinny balloons. Don't know what it does as I haven't used it yet. Oh, and you can generally pick up a cocoabo egg for about 1000 meat at the flea market. I got one there, and it's nice. It will dig up meat, heal you for HP and MP, attack enemies, and confuse them. Lots of activities, so if you're counting on one thing, go with another familiar.
Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Azile
Member # 2312

I have exactly four balloons in my inventory. Huh. Was it coincidence...or fate? [Cool]
saxon75
Member # 4589

I've got a Balloon Monkey, but I haven't used it yet either. I understand that they damage enemies in combat, but not until it's at least 10 pounds.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

I got my Clockwork Maid today. Sweet.
sndrake
Member # 4941

Anybody figured out the limitations on eating in the game? How many adventures between noodles, kabobs or pizzas, for example? I haven't been able to figure it out.
Azile
Member # 2312

All I know is that after four pizzas, I'm full.
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

It's not a matter of how many adventures you get between meals. It's a matter of how much food you can fit in your stomach each day. I don't know what the formula is, or how much each kind of food fills you up. I do know that some is more filling than others, but I don't know if that relates to the number of adventures the food gives you.
Happy Camper
Member # 5076

- posted      Profile for Happy Camper   Email Happy Camper         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, one more I forgot to mention that I know about. The Sabre-Toothed Lime. It attacks.
Posts: 609 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Azile
Member # 2312

I have some sabre teeth. Do I combine it with something to get a cub? A lime?
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

yes a lime
Azile
Member # 2312

I tried to combine my ketchup with volleyball to make a bloody volleyball but, hah...

That didn't work. [Embarrassed]

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Basically, if you use the Seal Tooth you get a bloody hand effect. THen you have the Volleyball and together ... etc.
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

I've been meaning to make a sabre-toothed lime. I have the teeth, and I found a good place to get limes. There are fruit golems in the Menagerie, down in the Knob Goblin's Laboratory. (Along with Weremoose, Grass Golems, Carnivorous Moxie Weeds, Booze Giants, Portly Abominations, and all kinds of fun critters).
sndrake
Member # 4941

Used up all my adventures on all my characters for the day. [Grumble]

But at least I'm pretty sure Drakester will be able to take a vacation tomorrow! [Smile] (Going by previously heard advice about having 2000 meat on hand when getting ready to go.)

For some reason, even though he and Drakeness were created on the same day, he's done better at adventuring and advancement. Drakester's an Accordion Thief and Drakeness is a Pastamancer.

Happy Camper
Member # 5076

Are there some really fantastic beverages, like there are better foods (Hell Ramen, the various Key Lime pies)? So far I've just been drinking salty dogs, since they're so cheap.
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

The best I've had so far have been various fruit schnapps, made with fruit and fermenting powder. Good results, and very little resulting Drunkenness.

Well, I have had better. But I didn't mix the Ent potion myself.

I have also read of certain drinks that only Saucerors can make (I think).

UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

sndrake, my Accordion Thief (UULG) has outpaced my other characters created on the same day by quite a bit, too.

And as for having 2000 meat to vacation, I'm not sure why that would be either helpful or necessary. I've vacationed a lot, and I don't see the point of the 2000 meat.

Azile
Member # 2312

The best drink I've had so far is a extra-spicey Bloody Mary, which is a combination of vodka, tomatoes, and spice.

Those are very common ingredients so they're very easy to get a hold of and you get a lot of adventures too.

[ July 09, 2004, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: Azile ]

Happy Camper
Member # 5076

Has anyone had anything with a paper umbrella in it? Looks like that's the end of the chain. Sorta like Scrumptious Reagents and Noodles are the thing to have for foods.
Azile
Member # 2312

I got a bunch of paper umbrellas with all my vacations.

I made a slap and tickle (combo of salty dogs and umbrella) and it's pretty much about the same adventures as a spicey bloody mary. I think, but I am not positive, that a spicey bloody mary is better.

T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a spicey bloody marry today.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

is there a character type that is better at making drinks? Am I right in guessing the pastamancers and saucerors are better at cooking? I base that on my attempt to have my turtle tamer cook and was told that should be done by a pastamancer. Good thing the stove was transferable.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

DingDangDurgen is my younger daughter's character, applying to the clan.
Azile
Member # 2312

Can my cousin KERNS join the clan? [Smile]
rubble
Member # 6454

- posted      Profile for rubble           Edit/Delete Post 
TwoTailedTom and SiShBob are mine.

40-a-day just wasn't enough!

Posts: 270 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Hrm. I have another character, a Pastamancer named Jade Angel, who wants to join the guild. [Smile] I can't help it, there's nothing else to do in the morning at work!!
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

*whispers so no one will hear or notice*

Fibblefeet, level 3 Disco Bandit, has applied to the clan.

*ashamed*

keither
Member # 6681

- posted      Profile for keither   Email keither         Edit/Delete Post 
i have just put about 60000 in the coffers, could you get a peice of gym equipment for all of us? [Hail]
Posts: 19 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keither
Member # 6681

- posted      Profile for keither   Email keither         Edit/Delete Post 
sorry, make that 80k meat in the coffers
YAY! i have the highest karma!

Posts: 19 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Who are you, and why are you giving us meat? *suspicious look*
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Azile
Member # 2312

ktron right? You're just level 7 and yet, you have have so many meat. Pray tell, friend, what is your secret?
  This topic comprises 32 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  30  31  32   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.