FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The monkey's paw -- a game (Page 16)

This topic comprises 31 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  29  30  31   
Author Topic: The monkey's paw -- a game
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted, but since Hatrack is now the only reliable source of hard news in the world, you and the rest of us go into post-election day completely unaware of who will lead us.

I wish dkw were President!!!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Dana assumes the mantle of the presidency, and proves to be a phenomenally able leader. Her passions, however, prove to be her undoing.

It is at a social function that she meets, falls in love with, and begins a torrid affair with the former Secretary General of the United Nations, Boutros Boutros-Ghali (click here for a picture of Mr. Boutros-Ghali catching his now-famous first glimpse of Dana). After a futile effort to hide their passion from the world collapses into messy failure, Dana renounces her position as president and runs away with Mr. Boutros-Ghali to his secluded getaway on the banks of the Nile, where they enjoy a life of hedonistic delight for several blissful weeks before Dana's libidinous demands send his into cardiac arrest.

A bereft Leia Maria Boutros-Ghali seeks comfort in the arms of former first man Bob Scopatz, but when her overatures are rebuffed the stress of her husband's betrayal and death prove to finally be too much for her. She empties a 9 mm handgun into Bob before reloading and taking her own life.

Dana, appaled by the damage her passions have wrought, and more than a little infatuated with melodrama, clasps an asp to her breast, succeeds in provoking it to bite her, and follows the Boutros-Ghalis and her husband into death.

I wish I were very physically fit.

[ November 02, 2004, 10:02 AM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted. You are turned into a Schwarzenegger action figure.

I wish that paper was edible.

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

[ROFL]

[ November 02, 2004, 11:36 AM: Message edited by: dkw ]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Just be glad I'm not really a genie Dana!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I found a great thumbnail of Boutros Boutros-Ghali staring at something in what looked like slack jawed wonder, but I couldn't get the larger version of it to display.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

Granted, you eat your words.

I wish I had been kinder to Mrs. Boutros-Ghali!!! [Eek!]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted--it's not your fault she shoots you.

I wish for more fluff.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Granted. Snuggle the fabric softener bear is the new forum moderator.

I wish I was feeling more motivated.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted, you are now highly motivated to run from this giant stone ball that follows you everywhere you go, similar to the one in UHF.

I wish snuggles the possessed by a demon fabric softner bear would go back to hell.

[ November 04, 2004, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: MEC ]

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish this thread would be brought back, but I can't really do it myself.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted. But in return, an angel just lost it's wings.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Quick, everyone clap really loud so Tinkerbelle can live again!!!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted, but the clapping hastened some 300,000,000 cases of carpal tunnel. Those tan brace-things have become incorporated into the fashion scene.

I wish I could win Rummikub just once.

[ April 03, 2005, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

You do...Just once.

I wish the entire Central Florida Clump would move to Iowa.

Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted. Every registered Hatracker in Florida moves into your house. (No, they don't help you unpack.)

I wish I had some candy.

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted. Candy is blonde, ditzy, and nineteen. She enjoys brainless chick flicks and Celine Dion. Have fun.

I wish I could fly.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted. You can fly, all you want. Landing however, is a different matter...

I want to be able to make people explode!

Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted. But they explode all over you, and the resulting mess can never be washed off, but clings in a rotting residue.

I wish I knew everything.

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted! Knowledge of absolutely everything floods through your mind! Unfortunately, the process renders you insane, and unable to coherently express anything you've learned.

I wish I could make beautiful music.

Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted! You receive a package in the mail containing every aesthetically pleasing musical instrument known to man...in pieces.

I wish I could stay in perfect shape without ever having to exercise or watch what I eat.

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Granted! That shape happens to be a perfect sphere.

I wish I'd gone to bed an hour and 45 minutes ago.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Granted. You awaken in the morning perturbed by the obvious fact that you are now a sleep-poster. The concern over what sites you may have visited and posts you may have made begins to eat at you. You check and discover that you are the daughter/chief accountant for the deposed ruler of Nigeria and have to hide a few million dollars in a hurry!

I wish I could think up plots like Philip Jose Farmer, describe characters like Orson Scott Card, and write compelling narrative like Victor Hugo, all the while being as funny as a combination of Terry Pratchett, Douglas Adams, and P.G. Wodehouse.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted. Too bad you -- like Adams, Wodehouse, and Hugo -- are dead.

I wish my kids were perfectly behaved.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genius00345
Member # 8206

- posted      Profile for genius00345   Email genius00345         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted. They've been sent to a boarding school and been beaten and mistreated anytime they ever did anything wrong and they now hate all people, but never misbehave.

I wish OSC and his family were my neighbors.

Posts: 206 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Rivka, that's a perfect response. I was trying to come up with something that hadn't been done already, and was drawing a blank.

You congratulate yourself on your perfectly behaved children. You find that they always do exactly what you want them to do, before you can even articulate the desire. Some part of your mind begins to question this; they seem almost too good to be true. In a jarring perceptual shift, you realize that the objects you have always thought of as "your children" are in fact the crudely made stuffed dolls that the staff at the mental institution in which you actually live have allowed you to keep with you because you are so much easier to handle when you are allowed to have them. The moment of sanity passes, and you gaze down lovingly at your perfectly behaved babies. It seems like something was wrong with them a moment ago, but you must have imagined it. Your perfect babies could would never misbehave.

I wish sakeriver were back up.

Zarex
Member # 8504

- posted      Profile for Zarex   Email Zarex         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted, but one of your family members contracts a strange lingering disease and your family is placed under quarentine.

I wish I had the willpower to do my homework instead of spend time on hatrack.

Posts: 250 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

You have the willpower, but YOU FORGET TO BREATHE!!!!

I wish that I had another of the wasabi, ginger, and black sesame seed chocolate bars that CT brought to my house last weekend.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
(Noem, thanks. Sometimes dry wit is useful. And I love your response to mine! [Big Grin] )

You have another of the chocolate bars. It was brought by your new tenant . . . who is <insert horror movie score snippet> worse than your previous tenant! [Eek!] [Angst]

I wish the pile of tests I need to grade were already magically graded, and that my students all did better than expected, without cheating.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Rivka, yeah, sometimes the occasion just kind of begs for it, doesn't it?

I'm glad you liked my response, by the way; I was a little concerned that it was too dark for the thread, but then I went back and actually read a couple of pages from the middle of the thread, and my fears were assuaged.

quote:
You have another of the chocolate bars. It was brought by your new tenant . . . who is <insert horror movie score snippet> worse than your previous tenant!
[ROFL]

Now you're playing dirty! [Smile]

The pile of papers is magically graded, and all of your students did better than you expected, although the wide range in scores helps assure you that none of them cheated. However, the golden ink that had magically appeared on their papers and in your grade book turns into wisps of straw the next day. There is no record of the scores at all, and you are forced to take the papers home and grade them by hand. As you do so, you swear that you can hear the tittering of mischevious faeries.

I wish that the movie Serenity do extraordinarily well in the theater, prompting Joss to write and direct two more movies set in the Firefly universe that star the same cast as the first movie and are financial and critical successes.

advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Granted, complete with a Sigur Ros soundtrack, although financial and critical success in Iceland may not mean as much.

I wish I were human.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zarex
Member # 8504

You are a human, specifically a eighty seven year old man lying on his death bed. As your new memories flood you, you realize that the eighty seven year old man is a horrible miser, former murderer, money launderer, and fan of Martha Stewart. Just as you're about to scream in horror, you die and are sent to judgement.

I wish I could step into any book and experience the events and settings of the books I choose to step into.

Posts: 250 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

Granted. Before you can use your newfound ability a series of freak library and bookstore fires sweep the planet. The only books remaining in existance are copies of Galaxy 666.

I wish I had a pet monkey.

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted! Your monkey is charming and exhibits peculiar intelligence. Before you know it YOU and all your friends are the pet.

I wish I had a brilliant mathematical mind.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted. And when he isn't flinging poop at your head or self-pleasuring, he's picking off fleas to put in your ear.

I wish I would always have pleasant dreams when I sleep.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zarex
Member # 8504

Teshi-- Granted, you have a brilliant mathematical mind, but you hate math.

Sterling-- Granted, you find out that you will always have pleaseent dreams right before you discover that you have the worst case of insomnia known to man.

I wish that you will not grant this wish. (Try to puzzle that one out. Or, if you can't puzzle that one out:

I wish I had a lightsaber.

Enigmatic
Member # 7785

Zarex wish #1: Granted. Unfortunately, in fulfilling this wish you've created a paradox in the fundamental nature of reality and everything that exists suddenly ceases to. Way to go.

Zarex wish #2: Granted: The lightsaber is irremovably lodged in your intestine. I suggest you be very, very careful not to accidentally jostle the "On" switch.

I wish I didn't have to go to work today.

SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted: You don't have to go to work, but it because the CIA has discovered most of your co-workers are actually aliens trying to take over the world and have shut down your office seizing everything to prevent any evidence of extraterrestrial life getting into the public.

I wish the SC Gamecocks had a good football team
(I don't think even a genie can grant that one)

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted: They now have a good football team! Unfortunately, all of the players are either injured or serving jail time.

I wish I could sleep better at night.

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

- posted      Profile for JemmyGrove   Email JemmyGrove         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted with a bonus -- you now sleep better all the time. (You could call it a coma, although that one has been used a few times already.)

I wish I had webbed feet.

Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zarex
Member # 8504

Granted: you suddenly find yourself transformed into a duck.

I wish I could leap tall buildings in a single bound.

Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Granted: You are a giant flea.

I wish for a new pair of fuzzy sippers.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted! A couple large vampire bats are now sipping away at your precious bodily fluids.

I wish my house was paid off.

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted. The last of your cash is drained from your accounts, and the mortgage papers arrive from the bank. In the midst of burning them, you go to rub off what appears to be ash on one wall, and as the sheetrock crumbles before your eyes, torrents of black beetles tumble out and spill across the floor. Your house was built on an ancient burial ground, and the curse of a fallen people now rests on your shoulders. It is inescapable, for with the deed of the house goes the curse.

I wish I knew what to have for lunch.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
(damn my crappy keyboard! [Razz] )
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 7850

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted! But what to have for lunch is good for you and you don't enjoy it.

I wish for no human to do harm to another human.

Posts: 231 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 5938

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone           Edit/Delete Post 
Positronic robots are invented. Unfortunately, the version of Asimov's first law imprinted on their brains says "A robot can harm a human being, but not, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm."

Therefore, robots kill all human beings to prevent them from harming each other.

I wish I could touch-type.

Posts: 99 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

Granted! You quickly learn how to touch type, out of necessity because you've just gone blind.

I wish caffeine still gave me the buzz it used to.

Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Eric, you're chained to the typesetter's table in the Church of Scientology's printing plant and forced to manually set up the presses for the umpteen millionth run of Dianetics.

I wish I had a monkey.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Granted. Have fun cleaning up the poop it flings all over your walls.

I wish my morning sickness would go away.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 31 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  29  30  31   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.