FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The movie quote game (Page 31)

This topic comprises 50 pages: 1  2  3  ...  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  ...  48  49  50   
Author Topic: The movie quote game
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
12) Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
Ferris Bueler's Day Off

quote:
17) Oh, Frank, my lips are hot. Kiss my hot lips.
M*a*s*h

quote:
19) You think I'm licked. You all think I'm licked. Well, I'm not licked. And I'm going to stay right here and fight for this lost cause. Even if this room gets filled with lies like these, and the Taylors and all their armies come marching into this place.
Mr. Smith Goes To Washington
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
(Replicated from page 30)

1) I feel the need - the need for speed!
Top Gun

2) Cinderella story. Outta nowhere. A former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac...It's in the hole! It's in the hole! It's in the hole!
Caddyshack

3) It was the nearest thing to heaven. You were there.
An Affair to Remember

4) - A man takes a drop too much once in a while, it's only human nature.
- "Nature,” Mr. Allnut, is what we are put into this world to rise above.
The African Queen

5) There are simply too many notes.
Amadeus

6) Insanity runs in my family. It practically gallops.
Arsenic and Old Lace

7) I might be the only person on the face of the earth that knows you're the greatest woman on earth. I might be the only one who appreciates how amazing you are in every single thing that you do, and how you are with Spencer, "Spence," and in every single thought that you have, and how you say what you mean, and how you almost always mean something that's all about being straight and good.
As Good as It Gets

8) I'm the ghost with the most, babe.
Beetlejuice

9) - I wouldn't sell my bike for all the money in the world. Not for a hundred million, trillion, billion dollars!
- Then you're crazy!
- I know you are but what am I?
- You're a nerd!
- You're an idiot!
Pee-wee's Big Adventure

10) The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle. The chalice from the palace has the brew that is true.
The Court Jester

11) That's what I love about these high school girls, man. I keep getting older, they stay the same age.
Dazed and Confused

12) Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
Ferris Beuller's Day Off

13) If you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.
Ghandi

14) You think of yourself as a colored man. I think of myself as a man.
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner

15) Men like my father cannot die. They are with me still -- real in memory as they were in flesh, loving and beloved forever.
How Green was My Valley

16) - Hey, you got a name?
- Ali... with an I. Hey, what's your name?
- Daniel... with an L.
The Karate Kid

17) Oh, Frank, my lips are hot. Kiss my hot lips.
M*A*S*H

18) Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy.
The Outlaw Josey Wales

19) You think I'm licked. You all think I'm licked. Well, I'm not licked. And I'm going to stay right here and fight for this lost cause. Even if this room gets filled with lies like these, and the Taylors and all their armies come marching into this place.
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

20) Over? Did you say “over?” Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell, no!
Animal House

Current Scores:
MrSquicky - 4
Raia - 4
Javert - 3
Dan_Raven - 3
Sean - 1
Luet - 1
JT - 1
Architraz Warden - 1
Toad - 1
Lyrhawn - 1

[ December 13, 2006, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: SenojRetep ]

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
5. Amadeus
Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
16 -- Karate Kid
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
11. Dazed and Confused
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
13 sounds like a line from The Night Thoreau Spent in Jail. Did they ever make that into a movie? I assume Civil Disobedience was never immortalized on the silver screen.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonide- It's been gotten; check the updated list on pg 31

vonk- You're half a world (and about 100 years) away; although the subject of (13) was a practitioner of civil disobediance.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
13. Ghandi
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

Other hints:
3) Have a very Cary Christmas
4) Bogart and ... Hepburn!?
14) Hepburn and ... Poitier!? (oh, and Tracy)
15) Mining and singing; that's about it.
18) Hmmm...Don't have a good clue for this one. I'll just leave it open and figure someone will get it eventually.

Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
4) The African Queen?
14) Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

Dang it Raia! You beat me on both 4 and 14. Guess Who's Coming to Dinner was driving me nuts because I knew I knew it, but just couldn't place it.
Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

Ooh, but I think 3 is The Bishop's Wife.
Raia
Member # 4700

Aww, sorry! If it makes you feel better, 3 was annoying me too, haha! [Smile]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
18. The Outlaw Josey Whales?

Some Clint Eastwood movie or another, that I haven't seen in at least 5 years.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
13. Ghandi

18. Glory?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekingprometheus
Member # 9825

- posted      Profile for seekingprometheus   Email seekingprometheus         Edit/Delete Post 
EDITED for being the third--count 'em third-- person to guess this already settled movie.
Posts: 57 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
3 is An Affair to Remember.
4 is The African Queen.
18 is The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

Raia moves into a tie for the lead.

If mining and singing didn't give away #15, I don't know what will. It won 5 Academy Awards in 1941, and is about a small village in turn of the century Wales.

If no one gets it, I'll put out a tiebreaker. Or either Raia or MrSquicky could just put out their own list. I won't be online much today, so if one or the other wants to take the iniative and make a list, that'd be fine with me.

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
15) The singing miner? Or Snow White?

I'm not going to be a good list monitor, so I'd willingly abdicate to Raia.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
15) The Good Earth?

I know its Roddy McDowell's first movie, as a kid. Set in a Welsh mining town. I can picture it, but can't name it.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Erm! I shouldn't be making a list, I have finals!! Drat... Squick, do you want it? Or shall we continue to see if we can figure this one out? [Smile]

I could do it, just not for another two days or so.

SenojRetep
Member # 8614

I'll give credit to Dan for How Green was My Valley. The book is even better than the movie, BTW. The author (Richard LLewellyn) caused an uproar when he revealed that he'd never actually been to Wales, calling into question the authenticity of everything in the book. I was certainly able to get past that, though, and just enjoy a really nice story of family and community.

Judging from Squick and Raia's responses, neither really wants to do a list. Does Javert or Dan want to do one, as the two tied for second place?

cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
GAH! I so would have known the Ferris quote... It's what plays on my parents answering machine... I should check in here more often.
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

If you guys want to wait until either tomorrow night or friday (though most likely friday, to be honest), I'll do it, gladly... otherwise, I'll let someone else who does NOT have finals do it!
Raia
Member # 4700

Alright, well, nobody said anything, and now I'm home, so here we go... you know the drill, three guesses every three hours:

1) Cause the house always wins. Play long enough, you never change the stakes. The house takes you. Unless, when that perfect hand comes along, you bet and you bet big, then you take the house.
"Ocean's Eleven" -BlackBlade

2) Santa Claus's reindeer? Of course I can... let's see, there's Dopey, Grouchy, Sneezy, Sleepy, Happy, Bashful, Rudolph and Blitzen! You're welcome!
"Desk Set" -Dan_raven

3) It should take you exactly four seconds to cross from here to that door. I'll give you two.
"Breakfast at Tiffany's" -seekingprometheus

4) When it comes to emotions, even great heroes can be idiots.
"Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" -Nighthawk

5) What the cops never figured out, and what I know now, was that these men would never break, never lie down, never bend over for anybody. Anybody.
"The Usual Suspects" -TheGrimace

6) -Now, write your name only.
-It's quite a long name.
"Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" -TheGrimace

7) Oh, I love it when I'm nasty.
"The Great Mouse Detective" -BlackBlade

8) You'd be surprised how many kings are only a queen with a mustache.
"Hans Christian Andersen" -Luet13

9) Lawyers should never marry other lawyers. This is called in-breeding; from this comes idiot children... and more lawyers.
"Adam's Rib" -SenojRetep

10) It is a truth universally acknowledged that when one part of your life starts going okay, another falls spectacularly to pieces.
"Bridget Jones' Diary" -SenojRetep

11) For what we are about to see next, we must enter quietly into the realm of genius.
"Young Frankenstein" -Nighthawk

12) A man who tells lies, like me, merely hides the truth. But a man who tells half-lies has forgotten where he put it.
"Lawrence of Arabia" -Nighthawk

13) -Where precisely were you in the early part of the sixteenth century?
-I don't know, but that's not how I was dressed.
"How to Steal a Million" -SenojRetep

14) People are very gullible. They'll believe anything they see in print.
"Charlotte's Web" -BlackBlade

15) Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Cornell, Switzerland... he was thrown out of a lot of colleges.
"Citizen Kane" -Nighthawk

16) All praises to the Playstation!
"Snakes on a Plane" -MrSquicky

17) -You never heard of grits?
-Sure I've heard of grits. I just never actually *seen* a grit before.
"My Cousin Vinny" -jehovoid

18) Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with facts.
"Mary Poppins" -Nighthawk

19) -You don't need the gun.
-Well, that depends on your definition of safe sex.
"Golden Eye" -BlackBlade

20) You are a rare woman who lights up a room simply by leaving it.
"Kate and Leopold" -Nighthawk

There we go... enjoy! Hope they're not too easy! [Smile]

Nighthawk: 6
BlackBlade: 4
SenojRetep: 3
TheGrimace: 2
jehovoid: 1
seekingprometheus: 1
Dan_raven: 1
MrSquicky: 1
Luet13: 1

[ December 19, 2006, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: Raia ]

TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
1) Rounders
5) Usual suspects?
6) Harry potter and the prizoner of azkaban

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

1) Nope... others, good job! [Smile]
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
1) Oceans 11
13) Highlander 1? If not 4!
19) Golden Eye

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

13) Nope, neither. The others are correct! [Smile]
jehovoid
Member # 2014

- posted      Profile for jehovoid   Email jehovoid         Edit/Delete Post 
17) My Cousin Vinny
Posts: 3056 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
4: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon ?
11: Young Frankenstein
18: Mary Poppins

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
13) Timeline? gah! I could have sworn it was Highlander.

Nighthawk, I am MAD I didn't pick up on #4

edit: AHA! 7) The Great Mouse Detective!

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Nope... [Smile]

Good work, the rest of you!

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

14) Charlotte's Web. It remains to be seen if the new release of the movie will have that line.

edit: Looked up 13, geez its no wonder I couldn't get it. Never seen the movie [Frown]

Raia
Member # 4700

BlackBlade, I know... [Frown] I'm a bit leery about seeing the next movie, the first one is such a big part of my childhood! About 13... heh, sorry! I suggest you check it out, though, it's one of my favorites. [Wink]

I'll post a list of clues for remaining ones tomorrow morning, if necessary. [Smile]

Raia
Member # 4700

Ok, here are some clues:

2) A fun Hepburn movie!
3) The other Hepburn.
8) I'm ___ ____ ______, I've many a tale to tell...
9) Back to the first Hepburn again.
10) This is said in the character's 32nd year of being single.
12) Won seven Oscars in 1962.
13) The two main actors are from #3 and #12. [Razz]
15) Supposedly the best movie of all time. (According to AFI)
16) Time is tissue!
20) I want more of this... more 1876.

seekingprometheus
Member # 9825

- posted      Profile for seekingprometheus   Email seekingprometheus         Edit/Delete Post 
3. Breakfast at Tiffany's
Posts: 57 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

[Big Grin]
seekingprometheus
Member # 9825

12. Sound of Music?
Raia
Member # 4700

Nope, 'fraid not.
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
3: Breakfast at Tiffany's ?
15: Citizen Kane

I looked up the rest, and I should have known #12. Ugh.

*EDIT*: Gah! Too late for one...

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekingprometheus
Member # 9825

2. Funny Face?
Luet13
Member # 9274

2. Bringing up Baby
(Gah! I missed this when it came up, and I knew so many this time. [Cry] )

Raia
Member # 4700

2 is wrong on both counts... 15 is correct.
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

2) Philadelphia story?

9) Adam's Rib

10) Bridget Jones' Diary

Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
8) The Court Jester? But we just had that one, so it seems unlikely you'd pick it. But I swear I can hear DK's voice saying this in my head.

I knew 3 and 10 too, but alas, was too late.

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

SORRY EVERYONE! My internet died... right now I'm at a cafe, updating this, and hopefully my internet will be back up and running tomorrow, but we'll have to make do with this for now...

Astaril, you're on the right track... [Smile]

SenojRetep, 2 is wrong, the others are correct... good job!

Raia
Member # 4700

Additional clues:

2) Hepburn AND Tracy
8) Astaril was on the right track with Danny Kaye...
12) Umm... I'm not sure what clues to give this one without giving it away. I could pull my music major card and say Maurice Jarre did the music for it...
13) Also featuring Eli Wallach and Hugh Griffith, as well as Hepburn and the actor from 12...
16) I cannot BELIEVE that nobody has gotten this one yet. You don't get any more clues than the one I gave you last time. I am ashamed of all of you.
20) "We have a saying in the McKay house... shake and shake the ketchup bottle, none'll come out, and then a lot'l!"

Raia
Member # 4700

Apparently I suck at facilitating the list... since three days later, six of my quotes remain. Right now Nighthawk and BlackBlade are tied for first place... do you want me to just give away the answers? And have them battle over which one of them goes next? Or keep giving clues?
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

13) How to steal a million?
  This topic comprises 50 pages: 1  2  3  ...  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  ...  48  49  50   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.