FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The movie quote game (Page 16)

This topic comprises 50 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  48  49  50   
Author Topic: The movie quote game
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Probably does not help that IMDB does not have any quotes from #6 but its certainly listed and has alot of other details about it.

The movie is Chinese, its English title is 3 words and its Chinese title is 4.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
The 2nd word in the English title is, "My"

Thats all the clues you are getting for #6

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
I just need two more hints.
The first and last words.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Flaming Toad on a Stick:
I just need two more hints.
The first and last words.

Were I to alter the words but keep the meaning of the title it would be

Best of luck oh my other wife of lower standing.

Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I cheated and found it. I also found the other two. If Seatarsprayan can find two of them, he takes it.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
"Dude! It's your mom?"

Let me know if you need hints: I hope I am doing this right I'm kind of new to this.

Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Okay, I cheated and found it. I also found the other two. If Seatarsprayan can find two of them, he takes it.

I'd be interested to know how you found it.
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

I searched for Chinese movies on google, searched for the word My, and went from there. When you posted the translation, I found it.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
I searched for Chinese movies on google, searched for the word My, and went from there. When you posted the translation, I found it.

well done [Smile]

Have you seen the movie before?

Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

No, but it looks interesting.
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

I have a list ready to go, but I'll wait and see if Seatarsprayan's going to guess.
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I still have no idea.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Flaming Toad On a Stick WINS! [Smile] My apologies Seatarsprayan if you did not see this thread in time.

2) Clear and Present Danger

6) Farewell My Concubine

16) The Great Escape

If you have not seen 6) or 16) you really REALLY ought to.

Nighthawk
Member # 4176

Still never heard of #6.

Only us old timers have seen The Great Escape. I was embarrased at laughing at the intro sequence to Chicken Run; my wife didn't know what I was laughing about.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
Still never heard of #6.

Only us old timers have seen The Great Escape. I was embarrased at laughing at the intro sequence to Chicken Run; my wife didn't know what I was laughing about.

I started laughing as soon as I heard the theme music to Chicken Run at the beginning [Wink]

I don't know if you care for tragic movies based on historical events. Or if you can handle a 3 hour movie. But the acting in Farewell My Concubine is just amazing, and the events of the story are beautiful when happy and very difficult to watch when sorrowful.

Were I to pick my two favorite movies from Chinese cinema (and believe me there are good many) Farewell My Concubine and To Live would top my list. Too bad I can't get a hold of a copy of To Live on DVD anywhere and I cant afford to pay $40 for it, I hope the reissue it.

Nighthawk
Member # 4176

Hey, my favorite movies are Patton and 2001. I eat three hour movies for breakfast!

I'll check it out some day.

Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

My Turn!
1. Don't be afraid, I'm part of the family. Alien 3, Nighthawk
2. The box. You opened it. We came. Hellraiser, Nighthawk.
3. This sausage is probably eighteen years old... This sausage could vote. It could go to war and die for its country.
4. You may not have faith in fate but, my man, fate has faith in you.
5. See yon rich, unwary traveler? I'll rob him of his gold, and give it to some poor unworthy slob! That'll PROVE I'm Robin Hood! Huh? Hm? Okay? (Hint-It’s old. Really old). Robin Hood Daffy, Raventhief.
6. This was supposed to be a celebration, not an execution! Peter Pan and the Pirates, Dr. S.
7. I remember wrenching the steering wheel to the right and slapping my foot against the brake petal. I wasn't the driver anymore. The bus was like this huge wave about to break over us.
8. I have traveled many miles and now have come disguised as a pimp to help you. Beverly Hills Ninja, Raventhief.
9. The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy, well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser and your daughter's knocked up, I seen it a hundred times. Tommy Boy, The Grimace
10. Pardon me, girls. I know you're feeling pretty hey sailor up here about now. But if you would just let me order a bowl of fried clams we can all have smallpox tomorrow morning. (Translated from Swahili) George of the jungle, Dr. S.
11. Ow, my left nut! Strange Brew, Nighthawk.
12. It did not work, and the United States sank deeper into the Great Depression. Today we have a similar debate over this. Ferris Bueller's Day off, SenojRetep.
13. Hey, you're making me look stupid. Get out of here, Panda Jerk. Anchorman, Dr S.
14. …has given this nation a gift of hope promising to raise the substandard minimum wage and end child labor once and for all. Already considered a living saint he has become this small country's greatest hope for a thriving future in the new millennium.
15. But you tell that slag, that in the ghetto, washing non colourfast synthetics at 60 degrees could cost you your life...
16. Did he just say "Grand Central Station," or "My aunt's constipation"? Madagascar, Goody Scrivener.
17. The flower that blooms in adversity is the most rare and beautiful of all. Mulan, Dr. S.
18. Young man, do you know what still causes so much pain? It's not the people we lost, or the land. It's to know that we could be so hated. Who are these people, who could hate us so much? How can they still deny their hatred? And so hate us... hate us even more? Ararat, Dr. S.
19. I'm not going to fulfill your fantasies in the dentist chair!
20. I'm sweating like Whitney Houston going through customs!

[ August 12, 2006, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: Flaming Toad on a Stick ]

TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
9. Tommy Boy
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
The only one I think I know for sure is 17 from Mulan. I'll be interested in some of the others (such as 5, 11 and 18) cuz I know I've heard them, I just can't think of where
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

1 for The Grimace.
1 for Dr. Strangeglove.
Sorry if they're a little obscure.

Nighthawk
Member # 4176

1) I'm going to guess Alien Resurrection
2) Hellraiser (I'm ashamed at myself for knowing that)
11) Strange Brew, eh?

SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
12) Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by SenojRetep:
12) Ferris Bueller's Day Off

man! I knew I had heard that one somewhere!

I can't think of any from the list off the top of my head, [Frown] Ill keep racking my brain

Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

Nighthawk-2 (#1 is close)
SenojRetep, Grimace and Strangeglove all have 1.

Nighthawk
Member # 4176

1) Alien 3 then. It was a coin flip between one or the other.
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

One more for Nighthawk.
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
16 - Madagascar
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

Gave up on the rest and looked them up. Eclectic mix, I must say.
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto to what nighthawk said...

one comment: unless my search was incomplete isn't 3 not a movie?

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
Gave up on the rest and looked them up. Eclectic mix, I must say.

Yes, but most of the movies are/were quite popular.
3 is definitely a movie quote.

Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

C'mon, it's not that hard.
If you need more hints, I guess I could give some.

Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
5 isn't The Court Jester, is it?
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

Mwhaha! 18 is Ararat, isn't it! I knew I'd remember it.
Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
5 is Daffy Duck, though I can't remember what movie it's in.

8 is Beverly Hills Ninja. I am ashamed that I know that.

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

Oh, and I meant to guess George of the Jungle for 10. Been a while, but I seem to remember ... who was it, Lyle? Anyways, someone saying something ridiculous like that to the guides.
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

Raventhief, I'll give it to you.
Dr. Strangeglove 3
Nighthawk 3
Raventhief 2
The Grimace 1
Goody Scrivener 1
SenojRetep 1

Nighthawk
Member # 4176

***grumble...***
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

mwahaha. I don't know that I know any of the other ones for sure though. I'll have to think on it. Am I allowed to ask people IRL?
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

The only condition is no searching the web.
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

Sweet! 6 is from "Peter Pan and the Pirates", 13 is from "Anchorman".
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

quote:
The only condition is no searching the web.

Christ, if I would have known *that*. Why is asking someone so different to looking it up? You're technically searching for it, except instead of typing your query in to a box, you're speaking it aloud.
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

[Dont Know] . I got 6 from my sister, but I knew 13, so if you don't wanna count 6, that's cool. I'm still beating you, Nighthawk [Wink]
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

I'm not *that* cutthroat... Just sayin'.
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

I said it was allowed, so I'll allow it.
Dr. Strangeglove 5
Nighthawk 3
Raventhief 2
The Grimace 1
Goody Scrivener 1
SenojRetep 1

Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

I feel kinda bad. I had a party at my house today and asked some people about some of these. 20 is "Adam and Steve", 19 is "Novocaine" (I think).
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

Oh, just shut up and prepare your list already!

[Wink]

Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

Dr. Strangeglove takes it.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I 2nd Nighthawks motion, out with the bloody list already!
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

Patience, patience, I'm a busy man. I'll have it up late tonight.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove:
Patience, patience, I'm a busy man. I'll have it up late tonight.

bah! That means I won't see it until tomorrow morning, Ill have a HUGE disadvantage! UNACCEPTABLE!
  This topic comprises 50 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  48  49  50   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.