FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The movie quote game (Page 7)

This topic comprises 50 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  48  49  50   
Author Topic: The movie quote game
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
o_O Google failed on #2. Nothing came up. If I took away the quotes a billion things came up, but none of them looked like they matched.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure about that? Note: has answer to #2.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Alcon. I went back and checked a different source for the same movie and found the quote there was slightly different. So I pulled the movie and the line is this:

Corrected #2: At least with her you don't have to worry about forgetting her name. She's already forgotten it for you.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Don't follow MrSquicky's link if you want credit for it. It does accurately name the film.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Kat: 4
Alcon: 3
SenojRetep: 2
TheGrimace: 2
BlackBlade: 2
The Pixiest: 1.5
Lyrhawn: 1
Risuena: 1
Vadon: 1

Alcon
Member # 6645

Ahh, I see. I had limited my search to IMDB.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

Hmm... I want to say something like Eurotrip or American Pie II for 19...
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Alcon, #19 is a lot sweeter and more innocent than either of those movies (neither of which I've seen). The movie with the trashiest language (and themes, for that matter) of the bunch is #14, but is on my list of favorites because of the soundtrack.
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Guesses:

11 sounds very noirish, and the most recent noir-inspired film I can think of is Man Who Wasn't There (for #2).

And for #11...hmm, I don't know; maybe Casablanca?

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

No for both, but you're on the right track. Like Casablanca, #11 won for Best Picture. But I should put it, "like #11, Casablanca won for Best Picture", because #11's film won first.

#2 is 10 years older than the Man Who Wasn't There, and stars at least three of the same actors from another movie on the list already identified. The already identified movie was nominated for 3 Oscars, winning only 1.

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a list all ready from Steve's round, but the bosses are cracking down on mid-day 'netting, so if the current round is done by the time I go to bed tonight, I'll post my list. Otherwise I'll wait for another opportunity.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Goody, my list is just about wound down. There are only 5 left. Go ahead and run with yours.
katdog42
Member # 4773

- posted      Profile for katdog42   Email katdog42         Edit/Delete Post 
Is # 16 from Notting Hill? I know I remember that conversation but I just can't quite place it.
Posts: 340 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking 16 was from Pretty Woman, but I think you're right with Notting Hill. It's definitely striking me as something said to Julia Roberts.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

katdog, it is from Notting Hill. That was one I thought would go first. Good job! (FC, Julia Roberts said it to Hugh Grant, whose character confessed that Whoopsidaisies was a medical condition he was getting treatment for. [Big Grin] )
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
# 11 -- Rebecca? (if that's right it's thanks to the hints!)
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Yay, Uprooted! Yes, it's Rebecca. One of my favorite old films. I'm incapable of not watching when it's shown on TCM.
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
19 is from Win a Date with Tad Hamilton. I didn't get the first quote, but the second one was unmistakable. Good times.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Goody's Movie quotes – with a twist

1. The opposite of war isn’t peace, it’s creation. -Rent
2. I get the bit about the cows, but I’m not sure about the corn. - Joseph...
3. I was born in the year 4562, the Year of the Chicken.
4. I'm just a mean green mother from outer space and I'm bad! - Little Shop of Horrors
5. I’m afraid you must wait and have dinner tomorrow. - CATS
6. Do you hear and fear or do I smash the mirror? - Tommy
7. The orchestra is beautiful. - Cabaret
8 Mr. Cellophane shoulda been my name - Chicago
9. Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. - The King and I
10. My temple should be a house of prayer. - Jesus Christ Superstar
11. I’ve got freedom, brother, I’ve got good times, man. - Hair
12. Oh, Brad, I'm frightened. What kind of a place is this? - Rocky Horror Picture Show
13 I don't know, how do you remove a speck of sawdust from your brother's eye when all the while there's a big plank in your own? - Godspell
14. Fickle finger of fate! - Sweet Charity
15. I ‘ate my ‘at!
16. I’ve got a lovely bunch of coconuts. - Lion King
17. The dining room proudly presents your dinner. - Beauty & the Beast
18. I am a little boy of five. - Pirates of Penzance
19. Put me down for a lifetime of success. Give me credit, I'll find ways of paying. - Evita
20. You are the twelfth in a long line of governesses who have come here to look after my children since their mother died. - Sound of Music

Bonus: What’s the twist? - All Broadway musicals as well as movies!

[ May 09, 2006, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: Goody Scrivener ]

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

1 - RENT
2 - Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
8 - Chicago
10 - Fiddler on the Roof?
13 - Godspell
16 - Lion King
17 - Beauty and the Beast
20 - The Sound of Music

[ May 09, 2006, 02:03 AM: Message edited by: Evie3217 ]

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

And the twist is that they're all musicals

14 is possibly from Hercules
12. Rocky Horror Picture Show.
15. My Fair Lady

Okay, I'm done now, I promise. I was just so excited that I knew all of them!

Evie3217
Member # 5426

One more, and then I'll stop
9. is from The King and I

Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Rent
2. Joseph and the Amazing...
3. this puzzles me
4. Little Shop of Horrors
5. i hear a British person saying this...
6. Phantom of the Opera?
7. Cabaret
8. Chicago
9. the King and I
10. Jesus Christ Superstar
11. Hair
12. Rocky Horror Picture Show
13. Godspell
14. I wanna say How to Succeed...
15. My Fair Lady
16. Lion King
17. Beauty and the Beast
18. Pirates of Penzance
19. Sweet Charity?
20.Sound of Music

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
19. is Evita.
20. is Sound of Music.

Damn! I should of hit the post button faster, I waited around to scrutinize the others.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

5 is Oliver, I think
Evie3217
Member # 5426

14. Is Sweet Charity.
Evie3217
Member # 5426

alright, I'm going to bed, and then off for a nice long car ride. Good times!
Alcon
Member # 6645

Blech, musicals. I lose.
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

Evie - wrong on 10 and 15 - and 5.
Leonide - no on 3, 5, 6, 14.

Editing list for right answers.

Scores:

Evie 9 + bonus
Leonide 5
Lyrhawn 1

Leonide
Member # 4157

Ok, now that I'm much more awake this morning....

*think think*

5. Ooh!! CATS
6. If it's not Phantom, it has to be Tommy. That's the only other musical I can think of with a mirror that prominent...ooh, plus he goes blind, deaf and dumb! That's perfect. It's Tommy

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

Two more for Leonide!!

Evie 9+bonus
Leonide 7
Lyrhawn 1

#3 and 15 are still waiting for discovery... [Smile]

SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Goody-

FYI, I think your count should be:
Evie 10+bonus
Leonide 7
Lyrhawn 1

That is all; I have no guesses. I need to get to these quote lists earlier when the pickin's good.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

#15 is My Fair Lady, isn't it?

And Evie, yes, that was Win A Date With Tad Hamilton. [Smile]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Is 3 The King and I?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
Is 15 Mary Poppins?
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Is #3 South Pacific?
jeniwren
Member # 2002

The remaining two from my list were :

At least with her you don't have to worry about forgetting her name. She's already forgotten it for you.

Dead Again

and

Say it once and say it loud, I'm black and I'm proud.

The Commitments

Katharina wins my round.

SenojRetep
Member # 8614

quote:
Originally posted by jeniwren:
The remaining two from my list were :

At least with her you don't have to worry about forgetting her name. She's already forgotten it for you.

Dead Again

Aargh! I thought of that, but never posted it as a guess.
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
"I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts" was in more than just the Lion King - it was recorded in the forties.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

[Smile] Peter. I don't know that I would have gotten it with that quote, to be honest. It's been awhile since I last saw the movie. I considered "I'm not Margaret." instead, but thought that was a dead giveaway, if you'll pardon the pun.

I think #3 of Goody's list should be:

"I was born in the year four thousand five hundred and sixty two, the year of the Chicken."

Nitpicky, but that's the way it's said in the musical in which it appears. I remember it now, but only after Googleing to check my answer. It's not South Pacific. Or Mary Poppins.

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Can I take a rain check on posting? I'd love to play, but I don't think I have time to pay attention today. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

Peter - Evie's at 9+ because Leonide beat her to Sweet Charity. (although considering I was doing math before being completely awake this morning, it was entirely possible... LOL. Thanks for checking it for me!)

15 is definitely not My Fair Lady or Mary Poppins, although I can definitely see why MFL would make sense.

Jeni, I was typing while watching #3, so maybe spelling it out would have made more sense.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Was I right about #3?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

quote:
Peter - Evie's at 9+ because Leonide beat her to Sweet Charity. (although considering I was doing math before being completely awake this morning, it was entirely possible... LOL. Thanks for checking it for me!)
If that's true then Leonide should be at 8, not 7; but Leonide ascribed Sweet Charity to #19 (not #14), so I'm surprised you're not giving it to Evie. Either way you cut it, the numbers you posted don't add up (9+7+1+2=19) [Wink]

[ May 09, 2006, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: SenojRetep ]

jeniwren
Member # 2002

Ah, that makes sense, Goody. [Smile] In reading it as numbers, I read it as "forty five sixty two".
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

Oh good heavens you're right, Peter. I must still not be thinking right. So much for caffeine.
Evie 10 + bonus
Leonide 7
Lyrhawn 1

No, Dags, #3 is not King and I. No duplicates on this list. (oh, and my Broadway-addicted girlfriend just emailed me, she couldn't figure out #3 either, so maybe that was a bad one after all)

Leonide
Member # 4157

I can't even think of a musical that would make sense in, and i'm *very* Broadway-addicted [Smile]

#3 Maybe...Starlight Express?

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

Nope, not Starlight.

Additional lines for each:
#3 - One singular sensation, every little step she takes
#15 - Past the point of no return, no backward glances

SenojRetep
Member # 8614

Chorus Line! Really!
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
15: Phantom of the Opera

I don't remember the original line, but Past the point of no return is easy =)

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 50 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  48  49  50   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.