FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The movie quote game (Page 8)

This topic comprises 50 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  48  49  50   
Author Topic: The movie quote game
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Really! [Smile]

Evie 10+bonus
Leonide 7
Lyrhawn 1
SenojRetep 1

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
What, still NOBODY can get #15? I'm stunned!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I got it. look at the end of page 7. Phantom of the Opera
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

Whoops! Your post wasn't there when I replied to Peter and I didn't even think to look back when I hit a new page. Sorry, Pix!

Final score:
evie 10+1
Leonide 7
Lyrhawn 1
SenojRetep 1
The Pixiest 1

(and the original quote was La Carlotta complaining during rehearsals for Hannibal. Before the Phantom tries to drop a set on her head when she trashes "Think of Me"

Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm about to go to bed, but I'll post my quotes tomorrow.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

1. “It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.” - Tombstone

2. “When someone asks is you’re a god, you say YES!” - Ghostbusters

3. “I’m the evening star. I’m always there, but I only shine at night.” - Silverado

4. “Yeah, although for grilled cheese, I might have used the wool setting.” - Benny and Joon

5. “No, thank you. We don't want any more visitors, well-wishers, or distant relations.” - Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring

6. “Big fat guy, I mean like orca fat.” - The Usual Suspects

7. “Anybody want a peanut?” - Princess Bride

8. “Today is a holiday invented by greeting card companies to make people feel like crap.” - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

9. “You Americans, you're all the same. Always overdressing for the wrong occasions.” -Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark

10. “Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of silly persons!” - Monty Python and the Holy Grail

11. “This is a mockery. This is a sham. This is bullshit.” - Beautiful Girls

12. “Mr. Trask, it's awful not to be loved. It's the worst thing in the world. Don't ask me - even if you could - how I know that. I just know it. It makes you mean, and violent, and cruel.” - East of Eden

13. “Mr. Brady, it is the duty of a newspaper to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.” - Inherit the Wind

14. “We have an expression in prize fighting: "Everyone has a plan until they've been hit." Well my friend, you've just been hit. The getting up is up to you.” - Ghost and the Darkness

15. “I’ve heard of people getting stuck with a problem, but this is ridiculous.” - Noises Off

16. “I got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.” - Duck Soup

17. “Aunt Clara had for years not only perpetually labored under the delusion that I was 4 years old, but also a girl.” - A Christmas Story

18. “I'm the Stair Master. I've mastered the Stairs. I wish I had a step right here, I could step here and here and here and step all over it.” - Shrek

19. “The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.” - Almost Famous

20. “Well, having a child is like owning a car. I can change the oil and fill the gas tank and I can take it to a car wash, but if the carburettor broke, I wouldn't know what to do.” - Saved!

Bonus: What holiday is #8 referring to?

[ May 13, 2006, 08:48 PM: Message edited by: Evie3217 ]

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

2. Ghostbusters
4. Benny & Joon
10. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
17. Christmas Story (you'll shoot your eye out!!)

(5 sounds familiar but I'm blanking)

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
#7 is The Princess Bride

#18 is from Shrek

#10 is from Monty Python and the Holy Grail

and #5 is sounding really familiar...

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

#5 is from Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

#9 is from Raiders of the Lost Ark
Evie3217
Member # 5426

Goody, you're right. So are you Steve

Goody: 3
Steve: 5

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
3 is Silverado, I believe. Several of the others sound familiar, but my mind is not so good tonight...
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
#1 Tombstone
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I think #8 is from Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind?

And, a crack at the bonus, I'm going to bet that it's talking about Valentine's Day. Because that is the only holiday I can think of that makes people feel like crap on a massive scale.

TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
6 usual suspects
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

19 almost famous
Evie3217
Member # 5426

Steve: 6
Jim: 1
Grimace: 3

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
20 is from Saved.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

JT: 1

Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
12: Working Girl?
Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

No on #12.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
13. Citizen Kane
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
13: All the President's Men
12: Sounds really familiar...Persuasion? <edit>no, it's East of Eden!</edit>

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

No on both guess on 13, but right on 12! Yay someone else has seen this awesome movie!

Senoj: 1

jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Is #14 Rocky?

Is #13 Arsenic and Old Lace? I'm seeing Cary Grant for that line. Hmmm...

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Is #15 Bruce Almighty? I'm thinking of the scene with the postit notes.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Inherit the Wind for 13? For some reason I'm seeing it in b&w.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

Right for Inherit the Wind. Jeni, you were close, because it was Gene Kelly saying the line as E. K. Hornbeck.

Senoj: 1
Dagonee: 1

Evie3217
Member # 5426

Okay, here are some clues:

#11 is said by Rosie O'Donnell, but it also stars a young Natalie Portman.

#14 stars Val Kilmer and is based on a true story.

#15 is a farce based on a play by Michael Frayn.

#16 is an old movie starring a man with a famous moustache.

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

12 was East of Eden? Dang! I knew Trask rang bells but couldn't place it.

14 - the Doors?

Evie3217
Member # 5426

Yeah, 12 was East of Eden. It's a great movie, and one that James Dean almost got an Oscar for. It's definitely got to be one of my favorites.

And no on 14.

SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
14: Thunderheart? Wonderland?
16: The Thin Man?

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

No on both counts.

Should I just tell the answers, or do you still want to guess?

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
14: "The Ghost and The Darkness", Michael Douglas says it to Val Kilmner.

Its a great movie, I knew I had heard that line just took me some time (plus the hint) to get it.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

Right!
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

16: Night at the Opera? Animal Crackers? Duck Soup? (I've got the famous moustache now, but I don't know which movie)
Evie3217
Member # 5426

Duck Soup. That's right. I guess I should have specified the movie. Good guess though.
Evie3217
Member # 5426

Senoj: 2
BlackBlade: 1

Evie3217
Member # 5426

Okay, some more clues.

#11 is a small film that also stars Timothy Hutton, Matt Dillon, and Uma Thurmon. It's set in a small town in New Hampshire.

#15 also stars an amazing cast, including Carol Burnette, Michael Caine, John Ritter, Christopher Reeve, and Denholm Elliot (he played Marcus in Indiana Jones). It also includes a play within a play.

dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
#11 - Beautiful Girls
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seatarsprayan
Member # 7634

- posted      Profile for Seatarsprayan   Email Seatarsprayan         Edit/Delete Post 
#15 is Noises Off. (I didn't need the clue, I just got here late.)
Posts: 454 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

Yay! You both got them right! Alright. I'm done, Steve, take it away.

Senoj: 2
BlackBlade: 1
Dantes: 1
Seatarsprayan: 1

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

...Alright...gimme a few minutes...
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Here it is:

(X) 1. “Fly, yes. Land, no.” Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

(X) 2. “The rhino is the self appointed fire prevention officer. When he sees a fire, he rushes in and stamps it out.” The Gods Must be Crazy

(X) 3. “They run this way. They run that way. They are confused. They are afraid.” The Power of One

(X) 4. “You know, it's kinda like... Success is subjective, you know. It could be an opinion.” Last Days

(X) 5. "What the hell are you doing in the bathroom day and night? Why don't you get out of there and give someone else a chance?" Young Frankenstein

(X) 6. “ I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.” Scarface

(X) 7. “Oh hey! Skidmark Steve! You still just hangin' out, playin' Nintendo?” BASEketball

(X) 8. “Oh, the human mouth is a disgusting place.” Finding Nemo

(X) 9. “I am Enrico Pollini. Now, I know what you are thinking... Enrico is a girl's name.” Rat Race

(X) 10. “Nice work, Bone Daddy!” The Nightmare Before Christmas

(X) 11. “That is all... cats rule.” Cats & Dogs

(X) 12. “Look, I was hoping we could have a word in private, I mean just the three of us.” Stuck on You

(X) 13. “His battery is dead but his memory lives on.” Small Soldiers

(X) 14. “Great police work, really brilliant! Why don't they just put up a sign that says "Don't come back!" The Bourne Identity

(X) 15. “Some big hard-boiled egg gets a look at a pretty face and bang - he cracks up and goes sappy.” King Kong (1933)

(X) 16. “I hear some teenagers get a major rush out of stamp-collecting!” Chicken Little

(X) 17. “Somehow "I told you so" just doesn't quite say it.” I, Robot

(X) 18. “Today it rained Champagne! A son was born again! A genius untamed! A life of wealth and fame, wealth and fame! Champagne flowing down just like rain, Caviar breakfasts every day. Merchant banks and yachts at Cannes! Servants and cars and private sand...” Tommy

(X) 19. “I can practically hear you getting fatter.” Tommy Boy

(X) 20. “If I did not fear incarceration from human authority figures, I would terminate your life functions by applying sufficient pressure to your blunt skull so as to force its collapse!” The Coneheads

[ May 20, 2006, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: SteveRogers ]

Evie3217
Member # 5426

1. Indiana Jones
Evie3217
Member # 5426

17. I, Robot

19. Tommy Boy

Evie3217
Member # 5426

8. Finding Nemo
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Right on:

17, 19, and 8

You need to be more specific on #1.

SenojRetep
Member # 8614

3. Power of One
1. Temple of Doom

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

10 - Nightmare Before Christmas
18 - Tommy

(2 and 12 sound familiar but I'm drawing blankes)

This topic comprises 50 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  48  49  50   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.