FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Heroes (Page 5)

This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  32  33  34   
Author Topic: Heroes
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
She was directed to it with the map and all, remember?
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, by her mirror-image self. So, How did ikkiN know where the body was burried? Maybe because ikkiN did it...
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Is HBO involved with this show at all? I'm just asking because HBO actors tend to show up in other HBO series and I noticed two of them in Heroes. The female detective is the fortune teller's daughter from Carnival, and Nikki is in Entourage, at least in a couple of the first episodes.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
whose dl agian?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Husband of Niki (alter-ego gal)

(see starLisa's post on previous page for full list of characters)

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't want to give much away to those that haven't seen it yet but I'm officially hooked. I've been holding judgment for the first few weeks and after tonights episode I can say with certainty that I really like this show. It has some flaws, many of which have been previously discussed here, but it keeps getting better and after the last few scenes tonight... wow, I'm hooked. The very last scene with Hiro was awesome and opened up a lot of doors. I'm already looking forward to next weeks episode. Am I crazy or do other people agree that the show took a good turn tonight?
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
YES!!! I'm so with you, beatnix19!!!

I don't even know what to say. I dig that show. But - the hatrackaddict that I am - I posted on the commercials...

Can't wait to see how it all unfolds! That Hiro scene caught me off-guard - definitely a good turn!

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched all the episodes in a row tonight, and I'm hooked. I didn't think I would be, but I am.

The characters, which I said from the beginning were key, are drawing me in. Hiro is by far the most engaging. And I never picked up on the fact that Peter is just mimicking the powers of others, I don't know why. But I guess in hindsight it makes a lot of sense.

I was thinking all through this episode that this episode wasn't answering anything (Ep 4), but the end blew me away a little bit. I can't wait to see how it all comes together, I can't wait to see what other characters are introduced, and when we're going to start seeing more people (especially good guys) who have more aggressive powers.

The power mimicking thing makes even more sense given what happens at the end of this week's episode, Peter would be the only one, other than Hiro himself, that could have gotten the message. This is going to be good. It's like LOST in the FEEL, the suspense, the bleeding of information, but it's better, you get more information, there's less intentional disception and secrets within secrets built on top of secrets created by little subatomic secrets.

It's not about the deconstruction of a mystery, it's the unfolding of a story, and it's engaging, and the characters are fun, and normal, and outlandishly silly, and tortured, and a whole range of characters.

I like it, and it's earned my attention for the remainder of the season.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
This episode was really awesome. When time stopped for Peter, I knew Hiro had to be around somewhere. I was surprised to see his future self though, what with the sword on his back and the perfect English. It was really awesome.

The only problem I have is that I don't care much for Niki or her "power." She's my least favorite character on the show. I'm just totally disinterested in her and what happens to her. At least the rest, I have some interest in seeing (even Claire with her expected high school stories).

I saw the symbol quite a few times besides the obvious ones. I think I saw it on the ceiling in one of the opening scenes. I saw it somewhere else as well. Very interesting.

Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Spoilers Obviously

Hiro just doubled in awesomness and I didnt even think that was possible with how much I liked him.

Threatening somebody with death from the heel of your highheel shoes is the most awesome threat I've seen in a VERY long time.

Claire getting her revenge after the things the quarter back was saying was VERY satisfying.

Only problem I had with the episode was how would Claires parents NOT have been informed of her death when she is on the coroners table? Do they usually wait til after the autopsy to inform the parents?

Is anybody else worried about all the huge plot developments that they are taking in these episodes. How are they going to pace this within the TV format? I'm worried that they can't keep this up.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

The coroner person said Jane Doe when she was on the table. She said that the body was found in the river and had obviously been dragged. So it looks like the guy took her clothes off and ditched her in the river.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

Claire was a Jane Doe. the Coroner said she was found naked and looked like she had been dragged somewhere.

I agree that Niki's Character is my least favorite but she is still some what interesting. I'm really curious to see what her power really is. She seems like she could just be suffering from multiple personalities. Even the visisons she has had in the mirrors could be explained away as dillusions. So far she has not really done anything Super heroish. everything she has done could be completely possible if her second personality was that much of a bad mamajama. She just hasn't done anything extraordinary so I'm still waiting to see. I'm starting to wonder if maybe it's her son that is really going to have some strange power and it just ahsn't been revelaed yet and her split personality is a result of the life she has lead with te criminal husband and mob ties.

Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

That's why Niki doesn't interest me as much. Her "power" doesn't seem like anything aside from some sort of split personality. I hope something big happens to her to make me care about what's going on with her story.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I see Niki as the female version of the Incredible Hulk, but more focused and not as brutish.

I never liked the incredible hulk, and it remains to be seen if Ikin will be any different.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Other than being a tough cookie, I don't see what "powers" Niki has yet. Until we see her alter ego have some super strength or something, I don't see how she is even a "hero."

Hiro is my favorite character by far, seconded by Peter. But Isaac interests me. I want to see something more done with his character other than "I need heroin to see visions, VISIONS!" He has to have more depth than that. And how does his power work? Opiates activate his power, or merely makes it easier to access? I need more from him. And is Simone somehow connected to the "bad guys?" Are the bad guys even bad?

Is Claire's father more like Magneto, or Victor Trask? To use X-Men allusions.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
beatnix19 - her son... *and the wheels begin spinning*...
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

I don't think opiates activate Isaac's power, as Peter gained the power and was able to use it without any heroin. I think maybe it just makes the visions easier to get, maybe even making them clearer.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

When did Peter see the future? Or are you referring to the preview for next week?
pfresh85
Member # 8085

In the hospital. He drew a sketch of himself flying with his brother standing near him. This was shortly after his meeting with Isaac. He even referenced this when he was speaking about his power. He said when he was around Isaac, he could see the future.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Oh! Is that what the stick figure doodle was?

When was he around Isaac? Was that when he went to knock on his door with Mohinder but Isaac never answered?

pfresh85
Member # 8085

He was around Isaac previous to his attempt to fly. He saw the painting in Isaac's apartment and decided to give it a try. He ended up in the hospital after that where he drew the stick figure doodle.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Oh I remember now, when he went to the apartment with Simone to try and help him when he overdosed.

Good memory pfresh.

Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
When Isaac overdosed on heroin, Simone rushed to Peter to have him save Isaac. When Peter was in there, he saw the painting of him jumping off the building, thus inspiring him to try.

Edit: And it's answered as I type it. Oh well. [Smile]

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Now that I think about it, heroin could still be Isaac's activating factor. Just because Peter mimics the power doesn't mean he mimics limitations on it. So I could be wrong.
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt it. Why, compared to all the other powers, does his require an outside source to activate?

Granted, Niki's powers seem to come as a fight or flight response, sooner or later, she'll have to come to control it. I would argue that the herion is definately messing with his brain, where (and I'll argue this point due to other aspects of the show) his evolved genes are enabling the super powers. The chemical response could be an involuntary trigger of his powers, but not exactly the only thing that can trigger it.

From what I've seen, Isaac hasn't tried to develope his power without the crutch of heroin.

Nathan- Flew to save his brother. Fight/flight (quite literally).
Peter- was falling (fight/flight);
Niki- was threatened multiple times (fight/flight)
Hiro- fully concentrating on his powers (honing his ability)
Claire- she make 6 attempts, each one a little bigger (combo of fight/flight and honing)
Police Dude- happened randomly, and then was under pressure by female cop (random and fight/flight); sat at bar honing his ability (honing)

The case I'm making is most of the hero's are experiencing their powers out of fight/flight, or actually trying to hone their abilities and control them when they want to. It appears that those who honing their abilities and pushing them are developing stronger abilities.

I haven't seen Isaac really focus on trying without the herion. Although, I can't blame him. How do you teach yourself to see into the future when you never remember how you did it in the first place? Everyone else experiences it in a random occurance and then remembers how they did it from the last time. Not with Isaac.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Peter was in a hospital bed when he mimicked Isaac's power. Who knows what sorts of chemicals were coursing through his veins ... [Smile]
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pfresh85:
I don't think opiates activate Isaac's power, as Peter gained the power and was able to use it without any heroin. I think maybe it just makes the visions easier to get, maybe even making them clearer.

Didn't Isaac do it without drugs this week?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by T_Smith:
Nathan- Flew to save his brother. Fight/flight (quite literally).

Are the comics on the Heroes site canon? If so, Nathan also flew to save a woman who was trapped in a burning apartment.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Nikki, Claire, and Hiro are the only characters I care about. I just sort of let my mind wonder while the others are on screen.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Lisa: Regarding Isaac: No, they showed him taking drugs and then did that swirly camera thing that tells you that the person in question is on drugs.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beatnix19
Member # 5836

I thought the swirly camera thing was just his power showing. When they cut to him in front of the painting his eyes were all clowded over and he seemed to be in some type of profetic trance.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I, personally, am getting VERY frustrated with how slowly this series is going. I mean, it is like watching a soap opera -- you see a whole hour and know very little more than the week before! I wish they would pick up the pace of the story line a bit.

I'll admit the ending scene in the subway was great. I also am beginning to believe that Niki's power is not a power of her, but someone else working through her.

..and so we see that DL is working with the glasses-guy (Claire's father). Not good.

The one tiny pet peeve that really bugs me is that cheerleaders don't wear their cheerleading uniform every frickin' day of the week! to school.

FG

beatnix19
Member # 5836

You know, I never really even noticed that. But now that you mention it, yea, that is a bit silly. No one wears that all the time.

and I just wanted to mention one of my favorite lines from last nights episode. Obvioulsy Spoilerific....

Hiro was on the bus and tells Peter that he looks differnt without his scar. This is so cool. It hints to some future where these people have had battles, fights and mishaps, it leads us to believe that they have united against some common foe, it's just so freaking cool. Loved that last scene. It rocked. And Claires little drive with the football guy was pretty cool too.

I'm really a fan of teh characters tyaht are being proactive with their new abilities. Hiro being the top because he has full heartily embrased his power and is showing the greatest control over it. Then Claire because atleast she is starting to stop freaking out about it and THe Line "I can do this" as she drives the car into the wall is sweat. And then peter who is starting to grasp what he can do and trying to understand it. I love it, they have accepted their abilities and are running with them. But Niki and Nathan are trying to hide from theirs. and I can't get past the drugs with Ethan. Having more trouble getting into these charatcers

Kosmic
Member # 9188

- posted      Profile for Kosmic   Email Kosmic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The one tiny pet peeve that really bugs me is that cheerleaders don't wear their cheerleading uniform every frickin' day of the week! to school.
Well, Claire did tell the QB that she was staying late to work on banners for 'Spirit Week'; perhaps cheerleaders do wear their uniforms every day during Spirit Week at that school.

My problem would be where the uniform came from -- do cheerleaders have more than one cheer outfit, or do schools keep spares? She was wearing the outfit at the bonfire, and the QB dumped her naked after he killed her; she couldn't have been wearing the same uniform.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mig
Member # 9284

- posted      Profile for Mig   Email Mig         Edit/Delete Post 
The weakest part of the episode was the quarterback's reaction to seeing Claire again. If I'd accidentally killed a girl I tried to rape and then dumped her naked body in the river, I would run to the bathroom, presumably to throw-up, like the character did in the episode. And after that I'd be too freaked-out to let her drive me home, make the moves on her, and try to get her mad by calling her a slut and her friend I'd raped earlier a slut.

The Nikki character reminds me more of the Rose and Thorn character from DC Comics. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_and_Thorn

Posts: 407 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

At the beginning of this season, I guessed that Studio 60 would make it and that Heroes would flop. I think now I'm reversing that. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Mig:
The weakest part of the episode was the quarterback's reaction to seeing Claire again. If I'd accidentally killed a girl I tried to rape and then dumped her naked body in the river, I would run to the bathroom, presumably to throw-up, like the character did in the episode. And after that I'd be too freaked-out to let her drive me home, make the moves on her, and try to get her mad by calling her a slut and her friend I'd raped earlier a slut.

I figure he probably came to the only conclusion he could. That he was schnockered out of his head and hallucinated the whole thing. I mean, she was dead. And now she's alive.

In a situation like that, it's actually kind of normal to be a little hostile to the person who was the cause of the fear you felt, but it's also kind of normal to be a little cocky now that you realized that the nightmare thing you remembered didn't happen.

quote:
Originally posted by Mig:
The Nikki character reminds me more of the Rose and Thorn character from DC Comics. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_and_Thorn

Exactly! That's who she reminds me of. Cool! I was trying to think who it was.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Megan:
Lisa: Regarding Isaac: No, they showed him taking drugs and then did that swirly camera thing that tells you that the person in question is on drugs.

Did they show him taking the drugs? I must have missed that. I thought he didn't have money for them, and that Simone threw out what he did have.
Megan
Member # 5290

I thought I saw him taking the drugs, but I might be misremembering. I've got it tivo'ed; I'll go look here shortly.
Megan
Member # 5290

It doesn't show him actually taking the drugs. It does show him getting out the drugs, looking back and forth between them and the canvas, and then the camera goes all swirly and he falls over. After that, he sees Claire running through the gym at her school and falling. Then, we see him painting that, with his eyes all filmed over (ew), and not hearing Peter and Mohinder banging on the door. I assume he took the drugs because it was implied, and because he painted the future.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Megan:
It doesn't show him actually taking the drugs. It does show him getting out the drugs, looking back and forth between them and the canvas, and then the camera goes all swirly and he falls over. After that, he sees Claire running through the gym at her school and falling. Then, we see him painting that, with his eyes all filmed over (ew), and not hearing Peter and Mohinder banging on the door. I assume he took the drugs because it was implied, and because he painted the future.

I think the previews for next week show Peter with his eyes filmed over the same way.

And omigod, but was future-Hiro not the single coolest thing ever to happen on this show?

Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only that gets the feeling from the way Hiro-future was acting and looked that these guys have a lot of hard, desperate battles ahead of them? He didn't just look older, he looked...worn, and sad. That, and the remark about the scar. Not to mention the big fricking katana he was wearing! I don't think they're gonna be going X-men so much as Battlestar--the few true heroes fighting against an overwhelming and implacable foe.
Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I see you, noobie! ( [Wave] Hi Kosmic)

Good to see the Heroes thread could lure you out of lurking into posting. [Wink]

beatnix19
Member # 5836

Human, ahem...

quote:
Hiro was on the bus and tells Peter that he looks differnt without his scar. This is so cool. It hints to some future where these people have had battles, fights and mishaps, it leads us to believe that they have united against some common foe, it's just so freaking cool. Loved that last scene. It rocked. And Claires little drive with the football guy was pretty cool too.

Megan
Member # 5290

Human, I think so, too. And I loved future-Hiro (he was already my favorite character, anyway).
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Odd thing I just thought about: when I saw the sword I assumed katana as well (Hiro being Japanese and all). Looking at the hilt though, it seems more like a Western blade. I wonder how Hero stumbled upon that.
Human
Member # 2985

I still think it's a katana. The pattern of the wrappings on the hilt screams katana, as does it's shape, at least to me. Besides, you can have variations in the length and 'curve' of the blade, that's not standardized, not really. It just makes more sense that it'd be a katana. I just really wanna see what Hiro has to go through to turn him from office-drone geek to badass, been-through-fire-and-back hero Hiro.

((Btw, am I the only one who really likes Nikki, just for the sheer coolness factor of waiting for Anti-Nikki to pop out and, like, disembowel someone?))

Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

I'm not talking about the length or curve of the blade. I'm talking about the style of the hilt. The hilt of a katana is usually straight with minimal things sticking out (there's a little that sticks out where the hilt meets the blade, but that's it). The hilt of Hiro's sword stuck out quite a bit like a Western-style hilt.

Compare this (katana) to this (Western-style sword).

That's not to say all Western-style blades have this kind of hilt; there are many that have ones similar to katanas. Hiro's blade though (if I'm not mistaken) had the parts sticking out though. I'll go back and check my tape of Heroes just to double check though.

EDIT: I'm off, nevermind. I saw the part sticking out, but I didn't pay attention to its thickness. It could easily be a more modern-style katana.

Human
Member # 2985

Yeah, that's the problem with my viewing of it--I was way too distracted by "Whoa, future Hiro showed up! And he's bad-effing-ass!" to notice exactly what the hilt of his sword looked like. It was more of a 'he carries a sword? Cool!' reaction.
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Yeah. The look of future Hiro and the fact that he spoke English and all was enough of a surprise to keep a person distracted from the minor details. Oh well. [Smile]
  This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  32  33  34   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.