FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Heroes (Page 4)

This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  32  33  34   
Author Topic: Heroes
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
TONS of government workers have families that have no clue what they do at the office.
That's not quite the same thing as having a clearly malevolent bent toward someone (or in this case, I think, something -- the superpowers) and consistently showing love in that direction in a convincing way at the same time, over YEARS, day in and day out, even when you're tired and grumpy. I just don't buy it.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
Blackblade, I agree for the most part with what you're saying. A lot of my potential gripes are just initial reactions and may be proven wrong or shown to be based on false assumptions.

for the science playing God part... my main point here is that anyone trying to claim that a "reasonable" extension of evolution is teleportation I'd probably call a nutjob. But if you want to throw in the possibilities of magical-type explanations (even something dealing with unknown science a la gamma rays from back in the day) I'm more ok with it.

True that we don't know that Clare's dad is a hitman per se, but we definately get the aura of malevolence layed on pretty thickly. And the fact that he didn't kill the Indian guy doesn't necessarily prove that he isn't, he actually mentions that "they" must not want him dead because they could have killed him already (a couple of times now at least). I think at this point "they" are still trying to see the results of his work and get some kind of gain from it before making any overt moves against him.

But even given the government workers have normal lives thing I just can't jive the really friendly father combined with the dark malevolent watching of videos etc... but maybe it will be explained better as the show continues to flesh them all out.

Suicidal artist I can get, but maybe it's just me being a nitpicky engineer, but that gun looked suspicously similar to the one the "exterminator" was using earlier. I picture a poor junkie artist killing himself with a cheap .38 special revolver, not a new shiny semi-auto pistol with what appears to be a sound or flash suppressor (maybe I'm just reading waay to into it though)

I'm not saying that the cop wasn't acting erratic and that they didn't necessarily have reason to arrest him, but she did say the name Syler aloud because the other woman commented back to her about it, making some mention of words on the lips of a dying man, and never having proven anything about another case...

I definately think mirro-girl's son will play a role later on, they wouldn't be introducing extraneous characters and telling us interesting infor (like the adeptness with electronics) for nothing. and he's really cute.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
This show is great.

I think the whole thing of being able to tell where the heroes are is pretty far fetched.

And, didn't the flying guy do the same thing the artist can while he was in the hospital?

Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
so, anyone still watching?

I really am wondering if that girl that hangs out with Mohinder can be trusted. Something about her just seems a little bit off.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I caught part of the end of last night's episode, having seen nothing prior, and the part where it showed the girl who was dead on the autopsy table but then came back to life with her chest flayed open in front of her was possibly the freakiest thing I've ever seen in my life.

I'd like to catch up on the show, but I also want to catch up on and give a chance to Jericho and Friday Night Lights too. And 30 Rock which starts tomorrow, but I doubt I'll actually keep up with when I can watch Studio 60 and get the same thing more or less (only better).

Considering how much television I used to watch three years ago, I'm amazed with myself that there are only three shows I'm actually keeping up on now. Studio 60, NCIS, and LOST (which I actually missed last week, but I intend to keep up with it).

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really enjoying the show so far. I agree that there are some annoyances with a couple of the characters, but not enough to make me not want to watch.

We PVRed it, and just got around to watching it Monday night and last night. Actually, we started the first episode over the weekend, but I was so darned tired it couldn't hold my attention, (though from reading this thread now, maybe that's not entirely because I was tired), but maybe since I basically watched the first and second episodes back to back on Monday, the second episode ameliorated the weaknesses of the first. [Dont Know]

Anyway, we're PVRing it and plan to follow it unless it gets really bad.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm stil watching it. Annoyed with how many commercial interruptions there are.

Is the comic book changing as he goes through and lives them out? That's one thing I didn't figure out -- if all those scenes were already there, or if it changed as Hiro changed things.

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Well, he chose to rent the car rather than fly because the panel in the comic book "told" him to. I can only guess that the panels appear as he's moving through the story, otherwise you'd think he'd just skip to the end and find out what's going on.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
The bottom of the panel that had them heading into Vegas said "To Be Continued at the bottom. I think he's at the end of his comic book guidance.
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Olivet:
The bottom of the panel that had them heading into Vegas said "To Be Continued at the bottom. I think he's at the end of his comic book guidance.

I think this is how it is as well.

Spoiler

Did anybody else tense up when Syler had that girl put a gun to her own head?

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
BB: I thought "Oh.. I liked that actress... But I guess they only had her for a coupla episodes."
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
yes.

So what's with the ONE guy in the bar that the cop couldn't read his mind -- he just stared. Is that going to be Sylar, you think?

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verloren
Member # 9771

- posted      Profile for Verloren   Email Verloren         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So what's with the ONE guy in the bar that the cop couldn't read his mind -- he just stared. Is that going to be Sylar, you think?
SPOILER:
If you have it recorded, go back and look at the necklace the guy was wearing. Then go back and look at the "code" Mohinder was looking at that his father did. You'll see something very interesting!

Posts: 45 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I do have it recorded. I will do that!
EKR
Member # 9545

- posted      Profile for EKR   Email EKR         Edit/Delete Post 
So I have a few of my own theories on this show...

Perhaps Sylar's powers are similar to those of Leech's in X-Men. Maybe he acquires the "powers" of the brains he takes? He does seem to have a variety of powers as it is... The map of targets may be all or most of the people with powers he's looking to acquire.

I'm not sure of my reasoning behind this so bear with me, could DL and Sylar be the same person?

And with Hiro learning to speak English, could he use his abilities to learn the language in a mere "instant?"

Posts: 18 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Verloren:
quote:
SPOILER:
If you have it recorded, go back and look at the necklace the guy was wearing. Then go back and look at the "code" Mohinder was looking at that his father did. You'll see something very interesting!

You can see the symbol in several other places if you pay attention. Try the pool in the 2nd episode.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by EKR:
So I have a few of my own theories on this show...

Perhaps Sylar's powers are similar to those of Leech's in X-Men. Maybe he acquires the "powers" of the brains he takes? He does seem to have a variety of powers as it is... The map of targets may be all or most of the people with powers he's looking to acquire.

I'm not sure of my reasoning behind this so bear with me, could DL and Sylar be the same person?

And with Hiro learning to speak English, could he use his abilities to learn the language in a mere "instant?"

That might explain the whole brain taking action neh?
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Spoilers- list of characters and super power.

Peter's power is to "Steal" other people's power like Rogue.

Nathan Can Fly

Artist dude paints the future

Cheerleader regenerates

Single White Mother has a deadly split personality

Police Guy can read minds.

Hiro can bend space time.

Micah (SWM's kid) has abilities yet unrevealed. So does his father.

------

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone notice that when Hiro first comes to Ando, Anod is watching the video of Claire?
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Yes -- actually that was in two of the episodes -- that his friend was the one buying video of the other character (the alter-ego lady -- not Clare --she's the teenager).
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Farmgirl:
quote:
yes.

It wasn't just that he couldn't read his mind. It seemed to me like the guy basically jammed Matt's telepathy. He stopped hearing everyone in the bar when the guy stared at him.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Yes -- actually that was in two of the episodes -- that his friend was the one buying video of the other character (the alter-ego lady -- not Clare --she's the teenager).

I got the feeling that he was actually the one watching her when we first saw her. The one who wanted more and yelled at her when she said it'd cost him.

And it's Niki. The folks over at TWoP have already named her mirror image "ikiN".

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
And it's Niki. The folks over at TWoP have already named her mirror image "ikiN".
[Smile] that's cool.
Lisa
Member # 8384

Here are some semi-spoilers and tidbitds from IMdb.

First of all, if you look at the little photo next to D.L. Hawkins (Niki's hubby), you'll see that it's the guy from the bar. So if that was Sylar, then D.L. is Sylar. But I doubt it. Though no one else is credited as being Sylar.

Hiro Nakamura - Bends space and time
Ando Masahashi - Hiro's sidekick
Niki Sanders - Has a very effective mirror image
Micah Sanders - Niki's son
D.L. Hawkins - Niki's husband
Mohinder Suresh - Can talk forever without getting tired
Chandra Suresh - Mohinder's late father
Eden MacKenzie - Friend of Chandra (maybe), who couldn't pronounce Chandra, but has no problem with Mohinder (and I think is evil)
Nathan Petrelli - Can fly and be a heartless jerk
Peter Petrelli - Maybe he can borrow others' powers
Matt Parkman - Telepath
Claire Bennet - Regenerates
Horned Rim Glasses - Claire's adopted father and squicksome bad guy. Maybe has powers, maybe doesn't.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
quote:
[Smile] that's cool.
no no no thats, "looc."

[Big Grin]

Lisa
Member # 8384

And I think that Peter has the most superhero-ish name of them all, being that it's alliterative.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by T_Smith:

Nathan Can Fly

Cheerleader regenerates

------

You forgot

Syler: Likely Cheerleaders father. Possible powers include regeneration, freezing people, levitation, telekenesis.

Also, How did you get that Peter's power was to steal other people's powers? I would have said that both Peter and Nathan had the power to fly?

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I guessed "borrowing other powers" for Peter too. There was quite a bit of talk about how he empathizes with people, especially Nathan. Just take it to the superhero level.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
quote:
Originally posted by T_Smith:

Nathan Can Fly

Cheerleader regenerates

------

You forgot

Syler: Likely Cheerleaders father. Possible powers include regeneration, freezing people, levitation, telekenesis.

Also, How did you get that Peter's power was to steal other people's powers? I would have said that both Peter and Nathan had the power to fly?

He has yet to fly when not around Steven. See him practicing in at the playground in the third episode.

He might STILL be able to fly, but has yet to learn how to activate the ability. But with the evidence we have thus far he could PLAUSIBLY be borrowing others power.

T_Smith
Member # 3734

TVGuide confirmed that Peter's power is to borrow other peoples power.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Oh, and Sylar is an awesome villian, btw. I'm in the "he eats superhero's brain, gains their ability permanantly."
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:
Originally posted by Verloren:
quote:
SPOILER:

You can see the symbol in several other places if you pay attention. Try the pool in the 2nd episode.
It's also written on the side of one of claire's textbooks, and in her notes. My family and I watch each episode twice, only paying attention to where the symbol shows up the second time around. We are losers.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dasa
Member # 8968

- posted      Profile for Dasa   Email Dasa         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the recurring "f" like sign (wasn't it there on the Amazing Evolution book as well?) was just a representation of the double helix. Did anyone else think so too?
Posts: 107 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it could be, but why would they hide it in so many places? Also, why hide it in scenes and objects that are obviously important to the story? I think there has got to be something more to it.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
What's the symbol look like? I must have missed it.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
You know the Macromedia Flash F thingy? It kinda looks like that.

This. http://www.moket.com.au/images/common/flashLite_logo_large.gif

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Oh, I know that symbol. Was it seen at all in the first episode? I have quick access to the first episode since Amanecer gave me a card for a free iTunes download of it. If not, I'll just keep my eyes out for it next week.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dasa
Member # 8968

- posted      Profile for Dasa   Email Dasa         Edit/Delete Post 
Or else see the 3rd episode at
NBC

Part 5, with about 4 mins left -- the guy who "blocks" the telepath out wears that sign.

Posts: 107 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

Pictures

There are a bunch of shots of the symbol as seen in the show about 3/4 of the way down the page. Post #18 I believe.

pfresh85
Member # 8085

Thanks for the link, Little_Doctor. Interesting to see it there. I hadn't noticed it at all. Now I've got something else to keep my eyes out for.
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I like the premise of the show and all of the characters, but if Sylar is going to be the main plotline, I don't think I can watch it. I'm terrified of serial killers, I'll have nightmares for months after I see a show about one. I can't watch a season of shows about one.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I just caught episode 3. Mostly good. I liked the fact that Hiro's always carrying on about being different and wanting to be an individual, but then he turns around and follows the comic book's instructions exactly. To the point where he's demanding the car in the picture. Somehow I doubt Hiro sees the irony. Between Hiro/Ando and Claire/camera guy, I'm wondering if the conformity/individual thing is going to be a recurring theme.

I have two quibbles with the ep. First, who would keep a witness in a secure location in a basement with bad lighting, one cop, and a back door? Makes me wonder if they're not really the FBI or if it was just bad writing.

Second, I didn't like Claire and the quarterback at the party. He's been crushing on her for a while, his goal of the evening is to make her laugh, and then he turns around and acts like that? Huh? Shouldn't there have been some warning signs or something? It felt a bit contrived to me.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

quote:
It felt a bit contrived to me.
Me too.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Well, -- I kind of forgave the sudden change in the quarterback in that it was obvious all the kids had been drinking (they made a point of mentioning that heavily) -- so that's probably how they are explaining his sudden shift in personality. Granted, there wasn't much time between he seemed all sweet and caring to when he began being pushy -- but I have known guys like that -- the charming is a ruse.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by blacwolve:
You know, I like the premise of the show and all of the characters, but if Sylar is going to be the main plotline, I don't think I can watch it. I'm terrified of serial killers, I'll have nightmares for months after I see a show about one. I can't watch a season of shows about one.

So I'm guessing you don't watch Dexter?
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by AvidReader:
Second, I didn't like Claire and the quarterback at the party. He's been crushing on her for a while, his goal of the evening is to make her laugh, and then he turns around and acts like that? Huh? Shouldn't there have been some warning signs or something? It felt a bit contrived to me.

Actually, I thought it was nice that they weren't doing the usual thing of making a rapist seem like a creep from the get-go. Rapists can be extremely charming right up until they turn Mr. Hyde.
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
"You just need to relax" is such a classic date rapist line. What felt unbelievable to me is that he looks a little small to be a Texas HS quarterback.

Mohinder's little pixie neighbor is totally a bad guy and it's a little distracting (in its unbelievable-ness) that Mohinder immediately trusts with all of his secrets. Also, she couldn't pronounce "Chandra?"

Mohinder is dreamy. Possible Sylar/DL is dreamy.

I don't think Possible Sylar/DL is Claire's biological father. He's a dark-skinned black man and she's a pale, blonde white girl. I also don't think DL and Sylar are the same person - it's implied that DL has been living in Vegas for some time and Sylar was living in Queens. If they are the same person, they'll have to do some serious explaining.

I adore Hiro. If anything bad happens to him, I will be very, very sad.

I'm so happy that Erin is recapping on TWoP. She was so great with Alias.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I kinda assumed DL was the dead guy in the desert.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Nope. On IMdb, they make it pretty clear that DL was the guy in the bar. The dead guy in the desert was one of his guys that he apparently killed.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

That's too bad.. I liked the idea that psychomom killed him.

So how did psychomom know where the shallow grave was?

(edit: Unless she killed the guy... in psychomom mode...and DL got the blame. or they did it together)

This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  32  33  34   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.