FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Heroes (Page 7)

This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  32  33  34   
Author Topic: Heroes
Dasa
Member # 8968

- posted      Profile for Dasa   Email Dasa         Edit/Delete Post 
If Sylar manages to kill Claire, then theoretically, whatever her powers, the same method can be used to kill Sylar even after he gets them, no?
Posts: 107 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
We don't actually know that Sylar can steal the powers of others. That's just a guess. The idea of Sylar as an über-Peter does seem to fit, but it hasn't actually been confirmed.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, Hiro has grown even more as my favorite, partially because he reminds me of my Japanese instructor in Japan. He spoke limited English and most of his sentences and how he sounded was just like Hiro. Particularly the sound he made when asking for a ride. Just totally on the mark. Great stuff.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom, who usually hates shows like this, has laughed at every scene with Hiro in it. Good stuff [Smile]
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Is he really a leftie or just a leftie as Isaac??
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Holy crap that was a sweet ending!

And I think it really looks like Claire will be the first to have her brain taken, and maybe there is something to the brain eating power stealing thing, but maybe not.

Either way how sweet is it that three of them at least have linked up. And that getaway was sweet for the elder petrelli. And it's confirmed that you don't need to be high to draw the future, and next week looks awesome!

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Wow, that was pretty good. Everything's starting to fall into place somewhat. I'm wondering how Peter, Isaac, Hiro, and his friend whose name escapes me will make it to Texas where Claire is. Also is it just me or did the guy in the painting look exactly like Sylar did at the FBI thing (same outfit and still shrouded in darkness)?
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
WOw that was so good. I wonder if D.L. is going to be in the show or if the evil twin girl will end up killing him. This show is awesome = D
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

Where's Hiro when I need him to get me to next Monday... ; )
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

What was with the hole in Claire's stomach??

(in reference to the brain thing...)

pfresh85
Member # 8085

When? I'm trying to recall but it's not jumping immediately to mind.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Claire can't have her brain taken because if they dont "Save the cheerleader" they can't save the world. But then again maybe thats part of the story arc. They fail to stop Syler, the bomb goes off, and the story continues in the future.

I love that the cop's power no matter how good his intentions are, keeps getting him in trouble.

pfresh85: There appears to be a hole in Claire's stomach when Peter finishes the painting.

I am alittle confused about the scene with Nathan. Claire's dad had a gun, but they basically walked Nathan out to an open space where his powers would be useful (I also noticed him drawing the gun but being unwilling to shoot, so I wonder what thats about) and then they corner him and Nathan takes off (break the sound barrier which was kinda cool).

Do you honestly think they were trying to capture him, or pressure him into using his powers? I am not too sure which is more likely. I hope its the later because thats better writing then the former from my perspective.

I don't really like that Doug's powers are negated by Peter's absorbing powers. I don't like the idea that Peter can do everything anybody else can if he is in the general proximity. But then again they did say he could only draw stick figures form the limited exposure and he only FINISHED the painting Doug started rather then doing the whole picture himself. I really hope they write Peters abilities as a lesser version of the people he leeches from. Rather then a full copy.

Hiro was very fun to watch as usual, I really think he is native Japanese who has studied English, and not a Japanese born American. Either way he acts just perfect for his part.

I'm not really interested in Mirror girls husband to be honest especially since it seems like they are killing off her husband in the next episode, I'd like to know more about her son to be honest.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Oh. I didn't notice the hole, just saw the blood and stuff. As for Nathan, I was confused why he didn't fly when he first got out into the open instead of running and trying to climb the fence. He should have known he couldn't get away by running (unless he just had extremely good luck). Is Doug another name for Isaac? I'm confused. As for Hiro, I agree that I think he's a native Japanese who studied English. Something about the way he speaks English and the way he speaks Japanese makes me think this.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'd say second generation American whose parents came here, so he learned it fluently at home, but it still American born.
cmc
Member # 9549

I was wondering about the hole in the stomach, too. I guess I post invisible in this thread.

So - here I go again, posting invisible... ; )

Good point about the future - who's to say how far the destruction goes. Maybe they just need to get out of NYC.

The 'Doug' thing got me, too.

Maybe Nathan just, at the last minute, said to himself that he might as well try this thing that worked at one time. That whole fight/flight thing again. Also - maybe because he REALLY meant it he moved as powerfully as he did.

*goes back to invisible status...*

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for some reason I remembered the artists name as Doug but its Isaac, I can't post in forums late at night my mind is too fuzzy.

Lyrhawn: The way he spoke English on the subway still had traces of accent. Virtually all American born foreigners I have met speak like natives even if they speak their mother tongue fluently, the Japanese accent was still quite distinct when Hiro from the future came back. But then again that might have been the actors intention, in which case bravo for going to such lengths.

I agree with your asessment of Nathan. He probably thought, "Well I flew that one time, and I REALLY need to now....ZOOM."

edit: Who was the guy who went way up high in a balloon and performed the highest free fall in history, almost breaking the sound barrier with his body? Its bugging me I can't remember his name, I know there is footage of his jump on google video I just can't find it. Nathan breaking the sound barrier reminded me of him as Nathan would be the first human to do so unaided by technology.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Claire's dad obviously does care for her, and not just as a front, which I'm glad was addressed. Second, why did they release Mr. Psychic (I'm sorry, I can't remember his name)? If they were working for Sylar, wouldn't it be easier to hold on to him and get his brain then and there? But, if they aren't working for Sylar, then what is there agenda?

The black dude helping Claire's dad, lets just refer to him as The Assistant from now on, unless anyone can provide a name. What I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out is how Claires dad is fixed in all this. The Assistant is definately strong in his abilities- erasing memories, blocking telepathy from other psychics.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I think Claire's dad and The Assistant either work for the government, black ops with no name, or is in business for himself. Not to make too man X-men references (though why not? they are the easiest), but he could be Magneto's group, or he could be Professor X (albeit morally challenged), or any of a dozen other independent groups that formed from the beginning to advance their own agenda.

Just because he isn't with the idealists (so far as we know) doesn't mean that he is evil. We'll see his agenda unfold in time.

Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey. I just caught up yesterday during the marathon, so I may be behind in the discussion here. The show is better than I anticipated, even if it isn't perfect.

I do have one question, though, that's really starting to bug me.

What's up with the mirror girl? How is her so-called super power any different than plain old schizophrenia? Does she really do anything that a mentally deranged person couldn't do just as well?

Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Did you see a preview of next week? She tossed her husband into a wall. I'd say anyone who guessed "The Hulk" as her power isn't too far off.
beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
ARRRHHHGGGGG!!! I still haven't seen it all yet. I missed yesterday's episode and have only watched about half of it so far. Won't be able to finish until later tonight when I get home. Talk about torture. All I want to do is read this thread and find out what happened. But I know I'll just be ticked off at myself if I do. So it's gonna be a long frustrating day for me.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the one you are calling "The Assistant" (T-Smith) is actually D.L. (Nikki's husband). He's working with Claire's dad, for some reason.

quote:
but they basically walked Nathan out to an open space where his powers would be useful
That's not so. They didn't walk him out in the open -- they were leading him to the vehicle when he broke free of them and ran out in the open. (although I was thinking at the time that D.L. could probably stop him with his mind at any time, I thought)

I believe Nathan didn't fly until the last minute because he really doesn't want to show anyone that he has that ability. He tried to hide his gift more than all the others -- I think he feels it makes him a freak or something that will hurt his ability to win the election. He's consumed with winning the election.

You all seem to have seen a lot more in the "previews of next week" than I did. Probably because I got a phone call right then and could give full attention.

It's definately getting very good......

[ October 24, 2006, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

... reading the updated 'graphic novel' on the Heroes site for more clues...
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dasa
Member # 8968

quote:
Originally posted by Farmgirl:
I thought the one you are calling "The Assistant" (T-Smith) is actually D.L. (Nikki's husband). He's working with Claire's dad, for some reason.

No..I think they just look similar -- skin color, height, build , bald head and all. "The Assistant" looks a lot more mean [Smile]
Posts: 107 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dasa
Member # 8968

Photos :

Mean guy : http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1097515/
D.L : http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0731346/

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Okay -- now I'm going to totally have to remap the way I have these characters in my head, now that you've pointed that out.

They sure look enough alike that I never picked up the difference on the show...

FG

beatnix19
Member # 5836

- posted      Profile for beatnix19   Email beatnix19         Edit/Delete Post 
finally got to see the ending of the episode. I love theinterenet and NBC's wonderful choice of playing all the past episodes on line. I'm becoming more and more curious about Claire's father. He obviously cares about her. But what is his connection? I don't think he is in league with Skylar. I'm beginning to see him as some offshoot who is trying to learn about and perhaps utilize these people. I'm interested to see where his storyline goes. I liked the comparisson to magneto, but I think it is a bit off. I don't think he really has any powers of his own but is simply the guy in charge of what ever agency he is working for. He is using people like like mind erasing guy to get a hold on thge situation and maybe find out who to recruit and who to eliminate. Maybe just douing studies and that is why Matt was let go.
Posts: 1294 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Thing's about Claires dad I want figured.

1) Why was he in the Cab in New York with Mohindar?
2) Did he kill Chandra?
3) Does he know about Sylar?
4) Why was he so irked when Claire had powers? He obviously cares for her, and he doesn't have any problems with The Assistant having powers, so what gives?
5) How was he able to track Matt down on the exact same day he found out about his powers? How did he track Nathan down? Why did he seemingly let them go?

I don't think he's like Magneto, wanting to exploit powers to establish dominance, more just like a guy who is currently labeling everything. He seems to have more knowledge about what's going on than anyone else, but there's really no clue as to how/why he knows what he knows.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Baron Samedi, the mirror girl has super strength. That is the super power involved.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Well, she seems to have skillz, at any rate. It didn't look as though she did anything a normal strength woman Niki's size couldn't do if she was using martial arts well.

She's a lot like Rose/Thorn, I think. More than she is like Hulk.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
Why was he so irked when Claire had powers?
I never picked up that he was irked. Just the opposite -- I think he expected it. And this last episode -- when threatening the football bully, he said something about "she's going through some changes right now that are confusing her" or something like that.

My main question about him is -- why would people who have powers follow him/work for him?

FG

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

I said The Hulk from the beginning. The mirror image only seems to take control during times of emotional duress. Mafia man slaps her, she kill him and cuts his buddy in half. The mafia man in the elevator grabs her, she threatens to put her high heel shoe through his temple, then goes on to snuggle up to Nathan.

I'm guessing she is going to come to terms with her alter ego and they are going to have a more cooperative relationship as right now she hates her other half but in the preview it seemed to hint that her image is going to adjure her to trust her. Also the other half of Niki is refered to as "Ikin" just for future discussion's sake. We should probably talk about what Niki does and what Ikin does seperately for purposes of clarity.

I'm still not sure exactly what Ikin's purposes are. One day she is killing the mob guys sent to get the money from Niki, the next day she is screwing Nathan so the mob will consider the debt paid. I really hope they clarify what Ikin's motives are.

Ditto for Claire's dad, I really would like to know what his goals are.

It was nice to know that Claire's dad actually loves Claire, I think that quarterback got off pretty light IMO.

Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
After seeing the latest episode, something tells me that Claire's dad isn't a bad guy.

We know he really does love Claire. He let the cop go, so he isn't working with Sylar.

I think he might be trying to find Sylar.

Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Hiro was born in Japan, and moved to America when he was six.

Interview

Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Actually, there's no indication, other than a creepy vibe and bad guy music when he shows up, that Claire's dad is bad at all. We haven't seen him do anything untoward except taking Matt and Nathan, and he let Matt go and didn't shoot Nathan even though he could have.

Granted, kidnapping isn't great, but he might be trying to help.

T_Smith
Member # 3734

No, the biggest idication for me is two things. First, the encounter with Mohindar in the cab. Second, the one that really is pushing the idea, is that immediately after an encounter with Sylar, Matt gets taken by those guys.

Here's a possibility.

Sylar killed Chandra. Claire's dad was tagging Chandra to find Sylar, and once he died, he was seeing if Mohindar had any contacts with him as well. Claire's dad's organization went to tap his phone line, but was interrupted. Claire's dad has been tagging Sylar as best as he can. The chick with Mohindar works for Claire's dad. After the map incident at Sylar's apartment, Mohindar goes to warn Nathan, where he get's followed. In the mean time, the chick tells the agency where Sylar is, and they tag him and follow him to Matt. After testing Matt out, they go to their next contact, which was Nathan in Vegas.

Plausible?

Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
He did completely empty that quarterback's brain. If that's not bad, I've got my definitions mixed up.
Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

While my personal feelings state it as wrong, I can see how Claires dad could argue it would be a decent thing to do. Claire's dad was enraged at the dude and probably wanted to do more.

Instead, he erased his memories, erasing that which had nurtured him into a rapist and a jerk, reasoning that with this new life, he could change. Of course, he wanted revenge, too, so I'm not going to say it was altruistic of him.

Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

Lots of good people would see killing the kid as justified. He did try to rape her, then accidentally killed her, then took her clothes off and dumped her somewhere.
I wouldn't call what her dad did there evil in any way.

Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

quote:
Actually, there's no indication, other than a creepy vibe and bad guy music when he shows up, that Claire's dad is bad at all. We haven't seen him do anything untoward except taking Matt and Nathan, and he let Matt go and didn't shoot Nathan even though he could have.
Exactly. The creepy vibe and the bad guy music are there to make us think he is bad. But I think it will turn out he isn't.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Baron Samedi:
He did completely empty that quarterback's brain. If that's not bad, I've got my definitions mixed up.

It's not bad. It's merciful.
Lisa
Member # 8384

"Ahem. This is my theory, which is mine."

Claire's father was Chandra's best student. Since his son Mohinder didn't seem to have any interest in his work, Chandra expended all of his energy and attention on his prize pupil.

He's trying to carry on with Chandra's work.

T_Smith
Member # 3734

Would be plausible, and I'd buy into that. I would be rather disappointed as his teacher in the ethics of his research, though.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
There are three possible explanations I can think of for why Claire's Dad is able to pick up the police officer on the same day that the officer discovers his super power.

1. Claire's Dad has some link with the FBI. He either works for the FBI or has an informant in the FBI who tipped him off.

2. Claire's Dad is or is working with Sylar.

3. Claire's Dad just happened to get lucky when the officer by chance came to the bar where his black assistant also happened to be drinking.

I think option 3 is lame and therefore reject it as a serious possibility.

I should also add that options 1 and 2 are not mutually exclusive. In fact, Sylar was able to locate the girl inside the FBI safe house, so its reasonable to conclude that Sylar has some connection (whether natural or supernatural) with the FBI.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

4. The mystery black guy who works for Claire's dad is a pyschic, and has some sort of psychic radar, and picked up on the cop when he used them earlier, and was tracking him the entire time. When he found out that the cop planned to go to a bar, he got there first, or slipped in afterwards, and blacked him out.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
If Claire's Dad's mysterious black assistant has "psychic radar" which allows him to detect when superpowers are used and track the person, why haven't they located all our super heroes. I mean I would certainly being going after the guy who can teleport before I'd go for the mind reader.

Another question also occurred to me. Why did Sylar come after the little girl. Evidently he didn't know she was hiding in the closet or he would have gone for her at the time of the murders. The obvious answer, that he was trying to eliminate a witness, just doesn't hold much water. Given his Superpowers, why would he worry about one little girl witness. In breaking into the FBI safe house to get her, he risked being either caught, killed or be seen by several other people. The risks just seem to far out weight the benefit.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

If her parents have powers that Sylar was trying to steal, it's likely to reason that the offspring of empowered parents or a parent would also have powers, and he wanted them.

As for Claire's dad, Hiro was in Japan, there's people closer, why fly to Japan when we have at least three people in New York alone who have powers. We don't know how many other people out there have powers that he is tracking, we don't know how much more information he has, or who he does and doesn't have access to. Just because they choose not to go after SOME people doesn't mean they don't know they are there. Remember what he said in the hotel room "just take the one." It suggests they know that Niki is one of them, but for some reason didn't want her. What is their criteria? Who knows?

Another guess would be that he had access to Mohinder's father's research and knows how to search for people doing DNA tests, and someone got ahold of DNA registries, which suggests a government connection.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

Claire's father clearly has some method of tracking people with super powers. That isn't the issue. The key question with the cop is not that Claire's Dad found him, but the fact that they found him on the very day that he himself first first discovered and used his powers. Either that is just a mega coincidence (which I think would be lame), or there is some reason that they became immediately aware of the cop that day.

This suggests that Claire's father and his team had some sort of inside information on the events of that day. I guess that inside information could have come through psychic radar, but that explanation (at least at this point) falls victim to Occum's razor. We have no evidence that there is such a thing as psychic radar and the evidents can be explaned by much simpler means.

I did come up with one more possible explanation. If Claire's father is part of some clandestined organization which is tracking either Sylar or the mutants, they may have sent some representative to the murder scene (perhaps as news media or just a curious bystander). This observer may then have observed our cops unusual behavior and identified it immediately as a superpower because of their experience in the project. But that still seems too contrived. I'm still convinced that they found the cop because they either have links to the FBI or Sylar.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I wonder what Ockham would have said were he introduced to science fiction, but I think afficianados of the genre know taht Ockham's Razor seldom cuts very deep around here.

Of course there is such a thing as psychic radar, or whatever else you want to call it. It makes Claire's dad's buddy the Heroes equivilant of Cerebro from X-Men, which is a little too clearcut of an analogy (ahem, theft) for my taste, but it works. I think it's very possible, and I wondered from the beginning if Claire's dad was a part of some government organization responsible for studying and cataloging the powers of the the Heroes. But there's also something fishy about that, something that leads me to believe he's independent.

It makes little sense that they could have picked up on cop guy's powers JUST on that day unless they had an ability to detect them, in the same way that Isaac's paintings are thus far ONLY about other Heroes.

A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know that it's much of a coincidence that they found the cop that day. I mean, as far as we can tell, they've been watching Claire her whole life. They could have known about the cop, Petrelli, and a lot of other people for just as long or longer ... but didn't contact them until they believed that their powers were mature enough to be worth studying.

Or something.

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  32  33  34   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.