FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Lost Season 3 Discussion - Spoilers Galore! (Page 10)

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15   
Author Topic: Lost Season 3 Discussion - Spoilers Galore!
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
No. That one was at least entertaining. And it featured a backstory about a character we actually care about. It was better because it was an all around characters-we-care-about episode, unlike last wednesday's.
Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a week late.

I didn't like last week's episode because it had spiders. I don't like spiders, especially the alive kind. [Angst]

I wouldn't be surprised if Nikki and Paolo were collaborating with the Others. I expect it. They already killed a guy and stole his diamonds. They don't care about anyone else, and they have deceived each other. Being double agents wouldn't be a new step in their lives.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't usually watch Lost, but I'm in a ridiculously posh hotel in Milwaukee by myself and missing my wife and the TV is on. And right now, two girls in thin T-shirts are handcuffed to each other and wrestling in a torrential downpour, and I'm thinking "that's some real good fan service, right there."
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
And then they fall in the mud.

Best episode ever!

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
No, it wasn't. They didn't start making out. THAT would have been the best episode ever.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Resh, I didn't find the van one to be entertaining at all. It was a waste of an hour.

And the big black thing is back! woo!

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Apostle Radio. I don't care much that the plot wasn't advanced meaningfully in some (or even most) episodes. I was entertained, and the episode seemed very much an homage to some old-fashioned TV.

This week's was intriguing... I really want to know what the island did to Sayid; it's becoming clear to me that he's got some sort of Inner Eye/Sixth Sense thing.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto.
Plus, I am still thinking there was a lot to the "Shambhala" reference.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this week's episode was pretty awesome.

I was also psyched because I realized early on that Juliette's new predicament would necessitate a big expose to the Losties about what she knows some time soon.

So what happened with Locke's dad? Where did the Others go and what are they doing? Are the Losties going to take over the Others' old home?

I also think that when the black smoke got really close to Juliette the first time that it was interacting with her in some way. Doing something to her? Taking something away from her? The flashes almost seemed like it was taking pictures. But she also seemed to be reacting to it very differently from Kate.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I almost wondered if the smoke monster was scanning her, checking her to see who she is/what she's done. I mean after it did that (with the flashes of light and all), it left for a bit. When it came back, it seemed like its focus was mainly Kate (although this can be argued of course). I don't know, I could be wrong on all this. Those were just my thoughts.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

The smoke seemed to show up just after something violent and angry happened between Kate and Juliette. Maybe it's attracted by strong emotions, and then judges the people involved to see if it feels that they need to be removed.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

When I saw the black smoke coming near Juliette and Kate the first thing I thought was pictures.

The fact that the barrier stopped it is interesting. It made wonder what the makeup of the barrier actually is and how it could stop the black smoke.

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it was a scan. I think it was editing her memories.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When I saw the black smoke coming near Juliette and Kate the first thing I thought was pictures.
I thought the same thing...only I thought it right when the wet t-shirt fight started.

Then I realized I had the episode DVRed.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kojabu:
The fact that the barrier stopped it is interesting. It made wonder what the makeup of the barrier actually is and how it could stop the black smoke.

I makes me wonder what it means about the makeup of the black smoke. I mean, Kate, Sayid and John were able to go over the barrier. Why couldn't the black smoke just jump the fence?

Could the barrier have been constructed specifically to keep out the black smoke? How did Juliette know that the barrier would stop the black smoke even though she'd never seen it before?

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

she had seen it before. she was lying to Kate so Kate would feel like they were in it together and not leave her behind. she also said that though she had seen it before, she didn't know what it was...to what extent we don't know exactly.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

That was my first thought too Tom, but then in the previews for next week it doesn't seem like she's lost any memories.
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
quote:
Originally posted by kojabu:

I makes me wonder what it means about the makeup of the black smoke. I mean, Kate, Sayid and John were able to go over the barrier. Why couldn't the black smoke just jump the fence?

Could the barrier have been constructed specifically to keep out the black smoke? How did Juliette know that the barrier would stop the black smoke even though she'd never seen it before?

I don't think the black smoke has any intelligence. It could have gone over the barrier, but I assume it doesn't have enough of a though process to do so.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
That was my first thought too Tom, but then in the previews for next week it doesn't seem like she's lost any memories.
Well, my thought is that it wasn't removing memories, but was editing them. That gives them plausible deniability for all continuity errors.
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
And an excuse not to tell us everything she knows in the next episode.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
The Black Smoke has mostly killed, or attempted to kill, people that have a great tendency for violence. I think it may have never "seen" Julliette before (it is implied that she didn't leave the barrier once she came to the island, but I don't know if that's true), and was scanning her to determine if she needed removed. Because she has committed a murder, she may be removed soon. It almost got her last time.
Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Reader:
The Black Smoke has mostly killed, or attempted to kill, people that have a great tendency for violence. I think it may have never "seen" Julliette before (it is implied that she didn't leave the barrier once she came to the island, but I don't know if that's true), and was scanning her to determine if she needed removed. Because she has committed a murder, she may be removed soon. It almost got her last time.

Really? I guess I just can't see that pattern.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
What did the pilot do?

I don't think it's violence at all. I think it's extreme emotions, period. The pilot was next to hysterical. Eko was highly emotional. Kate and Juliet were in a lather. It stopped when they calmed themselves.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
What a sweet episode. Have you noticed how they're alternating filler with super-duperness? We're like fish on a line, and the angler is just wearing us down. I hate Lost. Best show ever.

I like that theory Tom. You don't watch the show regularly, huh? Nothing like an outsider to point out something those of us in the middle of it are missing. The more I think about it, the more I like it. That would definitely explain a whole lot. Hell, it explains everything!!! Think about it. The premonitions, the Polar Bear, the horse... I gotta watch the whole series over again now.

Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

Are we sure that the barrier actually stopped the Smoke, and not Juliette herself? I'm of the opinion that Juliette knows more than she is letting on, and has a separate mission of some sort.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

Sure looked like a barrier, the way the smoke behaved when it came up on it.
Bokonon
Member # 480

Of course, but why does Juliette stare the thing down? Combined with the weird "flashes" the night before, implying communication, perhaps, it all seems a bit intriguing to me.

-Bok

kojabu
Member # 8042

She also flipped the switch and we never saw her flip it back (unless I missed it or don't remember). Maybe it's one setting for humans and one for the black smoke.
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

Maybe your memories were edited and you never really saw the episode.
Gecko
Member # 8160

- posted      Profile for Gecko           Edit/Delete Post 
SAWYER'S A DADDY!
Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
What did the pilot do?

I don't think it's violence at all. I think it's extreme emotions, period. The pilot was next to hysterical. Eko was highly emotional. Kate and Juliet were in a lather. It stopped when they calmed themselves.

I think you might be right. I don't remember Locke having killed anyone. What was Locke doing when it scanned him?
pfresh85
Member # 8085

I think it could be something about not feeling regret for past wrongs or something. I mean look at what it did to Eko. It also seemed to be focused on Kate last week, and she even said that she didn't regret what she did (in her flashback with her mother). I mean I could be totally wrong, but I think the smoke monster has the ability to get into peoples' heads and possibly assume shapes from there (which would explain the odd things people see on the island). As for the pilot, we have no clue one way or the other what he did, so it's hard for us to say anything based on him alone. I think we have to make judgments based on people we know background information about. As I said though, I could be wrong. It's just a theory. [Smile]
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

"she's under my protection"

what a dope! who says that?

pfresh85
Member # 8085

A mob boss? [Razz]

I liked the episode. Of course I like any stuff where I learn a little more about the Others and how they work. Maybe I'm odd in that though.

Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay for learning stuff.

I really want to like Juliette. I want her to come out for the good guys, our beloved Castaways.

And I want to kick Ben everytime he messes with people.

But even more, I want to kick everyone who keeps falling for it.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

- posted      Profile for graywolfe   Email graywolfe         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm on the same page. I'm not sure why, but the way Juliette has been drawn, I've always gotten the sense that she'd end up on the castaway's side.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking since she's the one "Other" that they've spent the most time covering other than perhaps Ben.

Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
"she's under my protection"

what a dope! who says that?

An alpha male. Which Matthew Fox, I'm sorry, cannot pull off. It threw me out of the story a little when he said that.

It's interesting. I thought about who, on the island, could say that and make it sound believable. I came up with Sayid and Ben/Henry. The two deadliest people there.

[Edit: Maybe Eko could have managed it when he was alive. Dead, there'd be a plausibility issue.]

[ April 12, 2007, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: Lisa ]

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

Thoughts on what they're going to do in a week aside from come and take them? They'd probably want Sun because she's pregnant.

This was definately one of the best episodes yet.

David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed. Totally engaging... Juliette is easily one of the most interesting characters now.
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gecko
Member # 8160

- posted      Profile for Gecko           Edit/Delete Post 
They need to get Desmond back into the plot, he's my favorite character, brotha
Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

quote:
Originally posted by David Bowles:
Agreed. Totally engaging... Juliette is easily one of the most interesting characters now.

Definately. I want to get inside her head and figure out why she's doing what she's doing, why she seemingly finds it relatively easy to doublecross them (obviously she might not, but the look on her face at the end was pretty telling). Is she just bitter? Was she brainwashed while she was there? Oh the questions...
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gecko:
They need to get Desmond back into the plot, he's my favorite character, brotha

Seconded. Oh, and has the universe stopped trying to kill Charlie? Did I miss something?
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

- posted      Profile for graywolfe   Email graywolfe         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the universe stepped out for a cup of tea. Should be back with some nefarious plans for Charlie soon enough. A karmic reckoning for "You all Everybody," isn't anywhere near paid in full. [Big Grin]
Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was the barrier that stopped the black smoke...is there some other reason (besides the flicking lights) that you think it edits minds Tom? It's an intriguing idea.

quote:
I makes me wonder what it means about the makeup of the black smoke. ...

Could the barrier have been constructed specifically to keep out the black smoke?

I hope that Juliette will/is able to give us some more information about the black smoke.

Great episode.

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

quote:
Originally posted by Olivet:
Seconded. Oh, and has the universe stopped trying to kill Charlie? Did I miss something?

In the van episode, Hurley was convinced that by fixing up the van and facing death, both he and Charlie could show the universe who is in charge and start making their own luck.
The Reader
Member # 3636

Julliette really wants off the island. I think she'll turn on Ben, but she may also not side with the castaways. What she does will be whatever gets her back to her sister. She doesn't seem to have any loyalties other than that.

Was the universe ever trying to kill Charlie? I still don't believe that Desmond really has the power of prophesy. However, I fully expect my belief to be shattered by the rest of this season.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I wanted Juliette to be killed off, and still do. She is a creep.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Cow! I remember now. What I should really do is wait until the season is over and download all the episodes and watch them in a marathon while I wear sweats and refuse to bathe. Maybe then I could remember this stuff. [Wink]

By the time Heroes comes back, I'll be like, "Wait! Who's the short guy with the sword? And what happened to...that girl... with the hair?"

Getting old sucks.

Liz, I dislike Juliette, too. I sympathize with her desire to get off the island, but I'd also like to see someone beat her bloody with a halibut.

Almost as much as I dislike Ben, whose death should involve multiple kicks to his smarmy little weasel face (and possibly his groin).

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Olive, we are sisters in violent fantasy against certain characters from Lost.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Oh, and I disagree about Ben's death! They tried the face thing. He just needs to be done away woth quickly, before he can say a thing.
  This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.