FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Heroes: II (Page 6)

This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  14  15  16   
Author Topic: Heroes: II
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
She looked pretty immobilized to me. I'm not sure about Kristen being too juvenile. If anything I think Sylar is too juvenile in the way he looks at the world. He acts like a spoiled eight year old. He wants everything his way, he throws tantrums when they don't go his way, and he has a casual disregard for human life. We don't know much about her though. I think she had a casual disregard for life too. But if I had to guess, I think her father trained her from a younger age to be an agent of whatever organization she is in, and he's a higher up in it, which I think will explain her casual nature when it comes to killing, and her childish appearance in her response to her father.

I think where Hiro is right now is explaining the genesis of the heroes. I think he's at the birthplace of the species and it will all go to show how it all started, so his story will be extremely important when we get the details from it, and how what role, if any, Kensei will play. I think much of this is for the shaping of HIRO, not Kensei. I think Hiro will come back from this much more mature and powerful.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I just burned through what exists so far of season 2 and I agree with everyone who is talking about a significant drop in quality that isn't going away.

Right now I'm more or less feeling like I'm watching hackneyed side plots waiting for the good side plots and this is a terrible way to run a 'buildup' phase, since it isn't entertaining and has to be maintained for at least three quarters of a season, if the first season is any indication of their method of operation. So it basically means that the writers are failing at their job and I'll just quit watching until mavens figure out that the show's worthwhile again.

Or it just doesn't recover, in which case .. too bad.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
I just burned through what exists so far of season 2 and I agree with everyone who is talking about a significant drop in quality that isn't going away.

Honestly, I thought the last two episodes were pretty good. There were definitely problems in the beginning, but it seems like things are starting to get back on track. Then again, I might just be liking the fact that we didn't get any more of the Bennet home life or the Twins this week.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
i think every episode of heroes is a little bucket of awesomeness.

EAT THE AWESOMENESS!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Phanto:
This episode was a lot better. No more of the twins. The dad sequence was cool, but I'm seriously wondering what connection the Hiro story has to all this. And what about the coakroachs? Hmmm.

You really want the answer, then get ready for a spoiler.

There's a super villain who controls bugs and he uses the cockroaches as spies. I'm not joking.

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
we didn't get any more of the Bennet home life or the Twins this week.
Well, hmm. I mean, presently I'm in the 'screw the twins' camp because they're just fundamentally uninteresting right now besides being in a car with Sylar and I've not been hooked at all into caring about them, so yay for them not being involved at all!

But the Bennets have no reason to be uninteresting. Too bad the writers decided to try to crudely reintroduce a new element of distrust between Daddy and Girl with the use of a paint-by-numbers Forbidden Love side-sideplot.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

The boyfriend sideplot isn't bad, per se. What, we're supposed to believe she'd NEVER get involved with a guy? That's goofy. She had to get involved, in some way, shape, or form, with SOMEONE in California, otherwise putting them there would eliminate all by Noah from the plot. And it probably meant a hero, and probably one at the high school, and I think she's so desperate to trust someone, and feels so ostracized that if she met a guy who wasn't ugly who also had powers, she'd be extremely drawn to him. Especially since he seems to have been a victim of her fathers', and that'd only reinforce the bond.

As to her and her father, I'm not so sure the relationship is as strained as you might think. They've come a long way. He's much more forthcoming now than he used to be. And she seems much less hostile towards him than before. I'm not entirely sure where it's all going, but it has a lot of potential to be just fine, good, or bad, depends on what they do with it.

As for the twins...I could do without them. They need to become interesting very quickly or they'll become the new Niki/Micah for me, and I'll be annoyed with every minute they are on the screen. It looks like with Sylar in the picture they just might be, but it needs to happen quickly. Like next episode.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

It just comes off as blatantly hackneyed because all of the problems between Claire's new boyfriend ("You can fly? Oh whew that makes you not a jerk!") and Noah will certainly be caused by the fact that Claire didn't know about the painting and thus tried to conceal the new boyfriend from Noah and when Noah meets new boyfriend there's going to be hell because Claire is not there/able to explain in time when otherwise she could have and of course Noah isn't the dead one in that painting it was totally Sylar who had morphed into Noah's form but then got a shot to the head. Let's see how accurate this prediction is.
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have to be the voice of dissent. I thought last night's episode was lame. Other than the Matt/Nathan storyline, nothing interesting happened. Ok, the moment where we saw the cousin with her own Isaac Mendez comic book was pretty awesome. But that was it for me.

Micah and his cousin did the exact same things they did last week. Mohinder cemented his place as the stupidest smart man in existence. Molly's still in danger. We confirmed Noah and the Haitian were in Russia, which we already knew from last week. Peter's still hanging out in Ireland, though he could get a real plot soon. Ando got a small moment of brilliance, but Hiro's still just pining. He's the dragon who demands Kensei's wife. We get it. Move on. And there was a Niki cameo that absolutely no one cared about.

The bright point to me was the revelation that Parkman's mind reading is just the tip of the iceberg. He can learn to do things with his power we haven't even thought of yet. I bet that means everyone else can, too. I wonder what Nathan's flight will expand into? That could be cool.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
Kristen Bell was alittle too juvenile to be given a task like finding Peter. Any guesses on what she was going to do to Peter when she found him? She came across as too whiny to me, I wouldn't trust her to go to the mall and buy me a shirt for fear she'd get sidetracked and spend $2000 at The Body Shop.

Who is her father, do you think? Someone from the Company, it seems. Bob? Daddy Parkman?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
I think that it's Bob. This episode was awesome, and it just seems to be getting better. It definitely recovered from the slump, if you can call it that. The slump was just the set up.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a problem with Claire getting a boyfriend, didn't even find it cliche-ish. What bugs me is the TV-ization of it. Every time he wants to know more about her and she just shut down instead of, say, warning him that there are people out to catch heroes like him I wanted to smack her upside her invulnerable head.

I hate, hate, hate storylines that rely on one person not saying the obvious thing to another, which is why I avoid most television and really, really miss Firefly. Also why I completely love Mad Men. In most television characters do pretty much what you expect them to do, so the only surprises are what happens to them. In the shows I respond to, characters constantly surprise you by doing something that seems startling or out of character, that's revealed to be a logical extension of their layered personality when examined in hindsight. The result is a deeper, more fascinating character you want to find out more about, as opposed to a cardboard cliche.

Here's what I would have liked to seen in Claire's life:

She meets the boy. She avoids the boy.
She does the toe-clipping thing. He mentions it at school.
She freaks out, partly because he knows and partly because he was stalking her (and ultra-paranoid dad wouldn't have had security? Motion-detector lights or something? Seriously?).
He picks her up and flies her off. They have their moment on the beach.
She lies and gets away, to the Hollywood sign.
He presses for more info, she evades and finally tells him that there are people after heroes and her family's on the run. He should be worried too, especially after being tagged. He realizes that she's just made herself vulnerable by telling him.
She gets home, lies to her dad, so far so good. They agree, no more lies (she crosses her fingers and bites her lip).
As she gets up he stops her. He is obviously waging a terrible battle inside. "Claire, do you remember those paintings I told you about..."
He shows her the painting, and tells her that he's still fighting the group. Partly to impress on her the importance of secrecy, partly to show her why he's being so tough on boys, and partly to bring her into his own conspiracy. A huge step for him, admitting his girl is growing up and can be trusted.
Now she can hide the truth, because after her dad opens up to her and treats her as an equal she won't want to admit to lying before. Now she has a secret and a reason for avoiding the guy she really likes that she can't tell him about because who would believe it? And him being the stalker-jerk that he is he won't leave it alone, and now we have real conflict and we're on her side because the dad has opened up, and Claire is torn between love for the guy and fear for her father, and the stalker kid might even decide that he can save Claire from whatever problem she won't tell him about. And all the characters have grown a bit and surprised us.

As it is we're back to the annoying level of "Clark, how did you get here so fast?" "Dunno Lana, just lucky I guess" lies. Feh.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:
Kristen Bell was alittle too juvenile to be given a task like finding Peter. Any guesses on what she was going to do to Peter when she found him? She came across as too whiny to me, I wouldn't trust her to go to the mall and buy me a shirt for fear she'd get sidetracked and spend $2000 at The Body Shop.

Who is her father, do you think? Someone from the Company, it seems. Bob? Daddy Parkman?
I think Bob is a more likely candidate then daddy Parkman. Bob is still running "the organization" dad Parkman is cowering in his apartment brandishing a shotgun. Still Bob does not seem like the sort of parent who could have raised a daughter like Ms. Bell. Then again maybe he is EXACTLY the kind of parent who raises girls like Ms. Bell.

Also I just realized that dad Parkman probably put the Walker girl into a similar situation as Matt and Nathan were last episode. That leaves it to little Parkman to hurry back and tell Molly to wake up.

I predict Parkman's dad is going to die very soon, there isn't much room in a show for two men with identical abilities. Though if little Parkman was given more practice with his abilities and towards the end of season two battled off with his dad in a fight using just mind suggestion I think that would be wicked.

Chris:
quote:
As it is we're back to the annoying level of "Clark, how did you get here so fast?" "Dunno Lana, just lucky I guess" lies.
Mrs. BB loves Smallville but I just get so frustrated with Clark's whole, "Hey Lana, I love you more than any of the other characters unfortunately you are the LAST person I am going to actually tell or accidentally let slip that I have powers. WHY CAN'T THE SHOW JUST LET OUR RELATIONSHIP WORK DESPITE LACKING ANY SHRED OF TRUST!?
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

especially since were at the stage where the new generation of girls are like "you have powers!? Awesome! /coo"
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I dug last night's episode, mostly because any glimpse of the Haitian makes the episode better for me. [Smile]

I'm relieved that Peter's going to leave Ireland soon, but worried about the upcoming French-Canadian accents. I adore Ando, because he's super-cute, and hope that the restoration guy makes sense of that last mini-scroll. Parkman's an idiot, but he's getting smarter - and cooler. Mohinder is still gorgeous, if no smarter; that said, sending him to New Orleans with Monica (and Micah!) is interesting. Kristen Bell felt supremely superficial, almost like a gimmick. Oh wait. She is.

Oh, and Nathan's line about not being a cargo plane? Awesome. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Ando must realize that Hiro will be all right. Who else put the scroll in the sword handle?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, he only knows Hiro was all right long enough to put those scrolls in the sword handle. Since the scrolls are being (conveniently) restored in chronological order, the last one could still be missing...
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think Bob is a more likely candidate then daddy Parkman. Bob is still running "the organization" dad Parkman is cowering in his apartment brandishing a shotgun. Still Bob does not seem like the sort of parent who could have raised a daughter like Ms. Bell. Then again maybe he is EXACTLY the kind of parent who raises girls like Ms. Bell.

I don't know that I believe that Parkman's dad was really cowering in his apartment. I think it's more likely just the story he told Parkman. He seemed awfully confident when he left the apartment after putting Matt and Nathan into their nightmares. In fact, everything that older Parkman said during that scene was suspect, as far as I'm concerned.

Bob probably is her father. Remember an episode or two ago, when he had to take a call on his cell phone and Mohinder looked through the paintings. So we've got Bob receiving calls from an unknown person, and Bell's character making calls to an unknown person. Circumstantial evidence, but it might work out.

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by theCrowsWife:
quote:

I don't know that I believe that Parkman's dad was really cowering in his apartment. I think it's more likely just the story he told Parkman. He seemed awfully confident when he left the apartment after putting Matt and Nathan into their nightmares. In fact, everything that older Parkman said during that scene was suspect, as far as I'm concerned.

Bob probably is her father. Remember an episode or two ago, when he had to take a call on his cell phone and Mohinder looked through the paintings. So we've got Bob receiving calls from an unknown person, and Bell's character making calls to an unknown person. Circumstantial evidence, but it might work out.

True story.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I find myself kind of surprised at the responses to this week's episode and this season. For the second week in a row, I was impressed, and I think I know exactly why -- once again they settled on a few stories to follow instead of trying to jump us around to absolutely everyone. I also am beginning to feel that the heroes are more connected this season than last and that the story has more direction and more room to surprise us. Yeah, we had that blown up New York image to follow us all first season, but then it was anti-climactic because we already knew so much about what would happen by the end.

I think the Matt Parkman/Nathan/Mohinder/Molly/nightmare man thing is great. It's the center point right now, just as "Save the Cheerleader, Save the WOrld" was last season. Only difference -- no totally lame but easy to recite catch phrase. We've got a story problem and characters we can root for who are working to solve the problem.

Many of the subplots are tied in better this season than last, which I also find to be an improvement. That's largely because we are seeing inside the company, which tracks and monitors all the "heroes" but that's a perfectly good way to connect the dots.

We've got Mr. Bennett in hiding with his daughter, working to undermine the company with the help of the Haitian and Mohinder.

We've got Nikki checked in for treatment. (I still don't like her, but at least she doesn't have a big part this season.)

We've got Syler, who escaped them again (why don't they just kill him? Anyone ever wonder that?) and potentially leading psycho twins to Mohinder.

The only two loose ends are Peter and Hiro -- but I suspect it's only a matter of time before we find out how Peter is linked to call this. I wish he'd get his memory back. It's the lamest part of the show. Well, next to the twins. [Smile] I have a feeling the blonde killer is Bob's daughter. (IT is Bob, right? The guy who's running the company?)

Hiro is my favorite character and I wish he'd return to us but I agree he is busy telling the story of the origin of the heroes.

I am very much looking forward to next week's episode, a feeling I don't think I had much last season but that I seem to be having more this season. IMHO, season 2 has mostly been an improvement.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Bob doesn't seem like a great company leader to me, and everytime that the company seems to be really bad, we discover its employees aren't so scary after all. The company needs ambiguity.

The best moment of this episode was seeing the door to #9 zoomed in on after Matt was locked in.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
There are too many characters. I think every person gets about five minutes of screen time, tops. I don't care about any of them and it seems like the writers don't either.

quote:
I hate, hate, hate storylines that rely on one person not saying the obvious thing to another, which is why I avoid most television and really, really miss Firefly.
Agreed.

*small voice* Except for The Messenger, which did the same thing.

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

^ that
Christine
Member # 8594

The company as the ambiguous bad guy can only last so long and then it gets really old and really boring. The trick will be uncovering it in a powerful way. We've yet to see if they will do that. I think this entire season is going to have a lot to do with the last generation heroes and how/why t hey started the company. I'm actually looking forward to those answers. It's possible that when we get them, it'll put an end to the show, but only if they do it wrong.
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 5108

- posted      Profile for Avatar300   Email Avatar300         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think the Matt Parkman/Nathan/Mohinder/Molly/nightmare man thing is great. It's the center point right now, just as "Save the Cheerleader, Save the WOrld" was last season. Only difference -- no totally lame but easy to recite catch phrase. We've got a story problem and characters we can root for who are working to solve the problem.
Agreed. I got chills when Nathan stepped out into Nuked York City. I wonder what he's afraid of?
Posts: 413 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I think Noah not telling Claire about the painting is stupid. Obviously he doesn't want her to worry, blah blah blah, but I think it's silly.

Her not telling West however makes a lot more sense. If I knew my father was responsible for capturing and tagging my new significant other, I'd avoid the subject but make it a point to try and protect that person. If you bring it up, they are going to ask how you are involved, and then one way or another you have to lie to them, and they'll always be curious. I think she is lying in self defense, to try and preserve the new status quo. And this one actually makes sense.

Unlike Clark...don't even get me started on Smallville. You know I watched the first two seasons when it first came out, then stopped out of lack of interest. But when I heard they were bringing in Supergirl, and had Justice League episode I thought it might be cool, so I borrowed seasons three, four, and five from a friend and watched them. It was mostly a rehash of the first couple seasons but was still mildly watchable (until Lana was possessed by an ancestor witch of hers, that was goofy). But then came the moment every fan of the show has wanted to see for four and a half seasons, spoiler alert, not that anyway cares when Clark tells Lana everything and she's okay with it, but then by the end of the episode they UNDO IT and go right back to stupidness! Well that was the last straw. I haven't seen an episode since.

Christine
Member # 8594

Why would Noah have told Claire about the picture? It didn't seem at all strange to me. He's trying to protect her from the company and especially from what he's trying to do to the company.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Because he promised his family that there'd be no more secrets.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked this past episode enough to keep watching, but not a whole bunch more. I liked that the twins were gone and that they more or less shoved Nikki aside (hopefully). I imagine they will eventually get back to her, maybe give her an episode like Company Man (we can only hope she dies at the end of it, leaving Micah to fend for himself and grow up).

I find it interesting that Peter obviously has been in contact with electric lady. I wonder if at some point in "the missing months" they were an item. It sort of seems like something they might do. I can imagine there being some sort of showdown with them where she sidles up to him and says "Don't you remember all the good times?" or something. Also, who did they send to get Peter now? It seems odd that they would've sent the girl in the first place, seeing as Peter obviously has her power + lots and lots of others. But, whatever.

I liked Nathan in this past episode. I liked how he was smart and stayed outside of the room with the crazy shotgun man. Showed a level of critical thinking usually missing from this show. I hope they eventually reveal/focus on him some more. I'm interested in what's going on with him.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
Because he promised his family that there'd be no more secrets.

He meant no more secrets kept from him. He just didn't mention that part.
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Heroes has struggled, in part, because the head writer is gone. So far this season, the sweet, occasionally funny/believably human quirkiness of what the characters say has been lacking.

On a brighter note, we've started watching Pushing Daisies (waves to kat) and WE. LOVE. It. It has never failed to make me laugh while at the same time let me feel for the characters.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

I still don't get it. Heroes isn't struggling. THe first season was not good. It kept me on premise and promise alone. Season 2 finally seems to be going somewhere. I'd go so far as to say that the show has benefited from the loss of the head writer from last season because he couldn't tell a story. I'm just not seeing the drop in quality of dialog, either.
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Phanto:
Bob doesn't seem like a great company leader to me, and everytime that the company seems to be really bad, we discover its employees aren't so scary after all. The company needs ambiguity.

Wait, did we ever establish that he was the leader of the company? While he certainly seemed high up, I definitely never got the feeling that he was in charge of things. Maybe a level or so above Thompson was the feeling I got, but that could just be me.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Can I just say that Peter's drawing was a little lack luster? OOOOHHHH two men standing in the doorway of some unknown building, WOW!

Well, the one on the right is probably a girl, but yeah. Indeed.

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
What, we're supposed to believe she'd NEVER get involved with a guy? That's goofy.

Story-wise, I'd agree. Realistically, it has only been a bit more than a year from the first episode (assuming one season = one year). Since then, she's learned about numerous people with powers, her dad lying to her, a X-Files like conspiracy, and now they're on the run and her dad is away again on long trips for a paper company which do not quite make sense.
Realistically, she seems a bit too blase about the whole thing. I would be next-to-paranoid, trying to second guess my father all the time and seeing the company out of the corner of my eyes, not thinking about hooking up and worrying about a social life. But that would be dull.

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
... when Clark tells Lana everything and she's okay with it, but then by the end of the episode they UNDO IT and go right back to stupidness! Well that was the last straw. I haven't seen an episode since.

There was a pretty funny moment in the Lois&Clark series when a time travelling villain parodies how stupid Lois Lane must be for not figuring out that "Clark is Superman" when revealing that fact to Lois for the first time. It was great.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I see what you're saying, and I agree to a point. But I think the reason I'm not connecting as much with the new characters is that they aren't interesting. I don't think the acting is bad. I connected with new characters introduced late last season (invisible man, big dead black guy, linderman), so I don't think that it's the 'new' that's the problem.

I don't think anything that has happened so far could not have been made more believable by more interesting words (Claire's boring romance thing could have popped).

Maybe his leaving has nothing to do with the change. *shrug* I've followed shows that you really could see an extreme change in quality based only on the writer of the episode (X-files, Dead Zone), but maybe that isn't the case here.

And I still like Heroes a lot. I look forward to the next episode, because I DO want to know what happens. That means they're still doing something right.

I think it has struggled a bit, though, and not just this season. It took three or four episodes to hook me last season, too. The first few I just came away saying I'd watch the next one.

Of course, this is my pov and I accept that things look different from different vantage points. I'm not saying your experience is wrong, just that mine is different. [Smile]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Hm, have to disagree on what's more "realistic." If it were me, I'd be looking for a friend and ally. Keep in mind she did have a good friend before, until the Haitian wiped his memory. She obviously doesn't fully trust her father, and her mother and brother are useless.

It's not just about hooking up and having a social life, that's far too superficial. She needs a rock, someone to confide in and rely on. West came in at the right time, and now she has her person to rely on. That she'd develop romantic feelings for him seems pretty natural to me.

And I think some of her lack of vulnerability has to do with the fact that she's invulnerable. That'd probably play a role for me in a bit of a disconnect from the danger.

Mucus
Member # 9735

I'd interpret that a different way. She wasn't able to rely on her father, then her best friend, then the Haitian that was supposed to protect her. If I were her, I'd be damn mistrustful of others and rely more on myself than try to look for help from others. Afterall, who knows the real story with West and it is a little more than convenient that he both has powers and found out about her in what I would estimate about two weeks or so of school.

Add the Haitian, she cannot even necessarily trust her own memory. Yeah, she remembers that the Haitian didn't go through with it, but what if he did and changed her recollections?

My level of paranoia would be through the roof. Trust no one [Wink]

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DevilDreamt
Member # 10242

- posted      Profile for DevilDreamt   Email DevilDreamt         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like West. I don't trust him. It seems way to convenient too, the entire relationship. And the way he smiles.... I would just as soon drive a stake through his heart.

The hooded figure that killed Hiro's dad? I'm betting it was West. Slender build, small for a man, survived falling off a building, because he can fly. Makes sense to me.

Anyway, I hope they do something cool with Sylar. I hope that he stays Gabriel, and never regains his power. I don't think he has the sickness that robs them of them their power, I assume the brain damage from the massive loss of blood made him forget how the powers work, permanently. If he does regain his original power, I hope he refrains from ... eating people. I do enjoy dynamic characters, and I think they could really make him more interesting and less of a cliche.

The new episode has been the best one yet this season, IMO.

I'm very interested to see who put Peter into that crate and why. Whoever did it obviously wanted him to meet up with the Irish family (I don't believe it coincidence they were hired to rob that particular crate only). This whole series they've hinted at a mysterious mastermind evil force, but I wonder if the person who put Peter on that crate is a good force, looking out for him. Someone that stole him from the company and gave him clues to his past, and wanted him to meet these people...

Of course, it's just as possible that whoever sent him to Ireland and let him escape from the company's watchful eyes is evil. I wonder what the plan is...

Posts: 247 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

I like West a lot. That said, I don't think I'd turn my back on him. Does that make sense?
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We've got Nikki checked in for treatment. (I still don't like her, but at least she doesn't have a big part this season.)
Prediction: Niki isn't checked in for treatment, Jessica is. (Notice the devious smile out of the right side of her mouth) Also, her grabbing Bob by the throat was staged for Mohinder's benefit.

Result: She gets a bigger part later this season.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
quote:
Can I just say that Peter's drawing was a little lack luster? OOOOHHHH two men standing in the doorway of some unknown building, WOW!

Well, the one on the right is probably a girl, but yeah. Indeed.

Are you sure one of them is a girl? Not a long haired guy? I confess I didn't look at the people so much as the street names.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I have a friend who lives at that house.....
Mucus
Member # 9735

BB: Not sure, which is why I said "probably."
However, it did look like the long hair was permed and not merely long, also I think either Peter or the girl indicated that it might be her.
Both are obviously inconclusive.

solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
Caitlin said to Peter "Is that us?" when she looked at the picture so I'm assuming it's a girl.

Also, the "unknown building" wasn't the important part of the picture, the street names were. I can't remember for sure but I think one of them was Rue St. Laurent which is a fairly famous Montreal street.

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
This seems to support the fact that the painting is set in Montreal (still can't really make out the street names though).
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
The church around the corner in the painting does look like the Notre Dame Basillica in Montreal. Does anyone know Montreal well enough to know what streets intersect with that square?
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, St. Cathrine and St. Laurent is a major intersection in Montreal, but I'm pretty sure the Nortre Dame isn't one either of those streets.
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I never noticed the symbol above the door before.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, provided the streets are, in fact, Rue Sainte-Catherine and Boulevard Saint-Laurent, the Notre Dame Basilica is about half a mile away, as the crow flies.

(Thank you, Google Earth.)

This cap gives the exact street names, albeit misspelled, which are only a block away. There ends the mystery. [Smile]

[ October 24, 2007, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: Carrie ]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know why this season's episodes aren't available on iTunes? I'd grown accustomed to downloading my TV shows. I know that I can still watch the episodes online at nbc.com but I'd like to be able to download them so I can watch when I'm not connected to the internet.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 16 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  14  15  16   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.