FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Battlestar Galactica Season 4.5 Thread (Page 7)

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica Season 4.5 Thread
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Blayne.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
omgz.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I've never understood the obsession with Doc Cottle. *shrug* I'm much more inclined to think that Kara has some sort of connection to Daniel.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

- posted      Profile for ReddwarfVII           Edit/Delete Post 
Two things.

1. If Cavil had hated Daniel enough to kill his whole line, not just box him, then it is a sure bet that had Daniel been discovered by Cavil in the colonists, Cavil would have had him killed. So that rules out anyone from the colonies that Cavil would have seen from being Daniel.

2. The evidence presented to us is pointing to Kara being Daniel's daughter. Both her and Hera have been referred to as children of destiny. Hera by pretty much every cylon except Boomer and Kara having it drilled into her by her mother. In the ep when Helo and Kara are hanging out in her apartment, Kara's description of her father matches what Ellen said about Daniel. Finally, Kara has been resurrected. I don't we should look that revelation in "Sometimes a Great Notion" as anything else. Only cylons and their children have the ability to resurrect. I'm telling you, they are laying it out for us. Daniel is Kara father......and possibly Baltar's.

Posts: 263 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Er . . . why Baltar's?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
He sure as hell better not be both of their fathers. If I'm not mistaken, Kara and Baltar slept together in the first season.

But yes, all signs point to Daniel being Kara's dad. That was my first thought while I was watching the episode.

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

- posted      Profile for BryanP           Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of Hera, there are only 5 episodes left to explain why she is such a big deal. I hope the writers had some idea what they were talking about when they used to harp on that continuously.

Also, where the h did Kara resurrect? I'm leaning more and more towards the Lords of Kobol being the eldest generation of cylons and/or humans that are highly advanced and pulling the strings.

Posts: 326 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

Okay I'm reaching on the Baltar thing. My reasoning was that because he could project and was having visions of Head Six then that meant he was potentially half cylon too. But that doesn't necessarily make sense cuz that would mean that Laura is a Cylon too. I hope they wrap up the Head messengers, cuz that part of the story doesn't totally make sense.

As for where did Kara resurrect...that is a mystery. All that it seems to me at the moment is that she did actually resurrect. As to where, well...Kara did "die" well before the resurrection hub was destroyed. Plus Cavil did mention a colony where Ellen's "equipment" was.

However, Kara's body was discovered on Earth. Maybe she was resurrected there?

Posts: 263 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Kara didn't simply resurrect—her Viper was replaced with a brand-new copy, too. Not that Cylons can't build a Viper, but you have to wonder why they would. And if she resurrected on Earth, then that means that some Cylons must have still been there, but who? We know that after her Viper went down in the gas planet, she found herself in orbit around Earth, and then she was suddenly in the nebula with the fleet. Someone or something must have been transporting her to and from all those places.
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I do remember Baltar in a reztank and asking the Threes and Sixes that were presiding over his emergence if he was a Cylon. However, I don't remember him dying anywhere, so maybe they just put him in there to recover from injuries.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure that was a vision, because the Sixes hovering over him killed him in the tank. He also saw the shades of the people who died on New Caprica in another goo-tank vision.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mocke
Member # 11963

- posted      Profile for Mocke           Edit/Delete Post 
Also, when they were trying to find the fifth, they laughed and told Baltar no.
Posts: 86 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
Kara didn't simply resurrect—her Viper was replaced with a brand-new copy, too. Not that Cylons can't build a Viper, but you have to wonder why they would. And if she resurrected on Earth, then that means that some Cylons must have still been there, but who? We know that after her Viper went down in the gas planet, she found herself in orbit around Earth, and then she was suddenly in the nebula with the fleet. Someone or something must have been transporting her to and from all those places.

The explanation of how Kara's viper got to Earth is going to be interesting. Regardless of where she ends up being resurrected at, if that actually happened, her viper still went from the mandala in the clouds all the way to Earth and at least partially survived the voyage. There has to be a third party at work somewhere, and it apparently has to be introduced in the next couple episodes, unless we're just supposed to take stuff like that on faith alone.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Regardless of where she ends up being resurrected at, if that actually happened, her viper still went from the mandala in the clouds all the way to Earth and at least partially survived the voyage.
I'm telling you, natural wormhole!
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Well, there seems to be some sort of connection between jump technology and the gods or angels or whoever they are, since some people have had visions while jumping. My theory is that the gods jumped her Viper without using an FTL drive.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Interesting episode, another Hallmark of the Convenient Miscarriage trope that half the interwebs unjustifably bashed Tim Buckley for but will probably praise BSG for "peerless storystelling".

Yay, soon Gallen will fall in love with Boomer again as it should be.

Glad to see progress with the ship.

Glad to see Head 6 back and ready for action, they arent retconning it it seems, well hopefully get a good explanation, and yay Anders is back without hospitol meladrama!

I think they need a new trope, Magnificent Bitch.

BryanP
Member # 7772

Have there been other miscarriages on BSG? I have to say I'm surprised, but the cylons needed something to convince them to stay with the fleet, and now Hera's significance is firmly reestablished. In that sense I sort of think the story with Tyrol's kid and Tigh's kid was retconned in order to give Hera the prominence she had earlier received. Pretty sad ep as a result, though Michael Hogan once again did an amazing job.

The episode sort of felt like a setup to some extent, I thought Cavil would enter into it at some point. I have no idea what's going to happen with Baltar's crew, giving them guns just doesn't seem like a good idea.

Posts: 326 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Well that was interesting. Anyone else notice that the rebel baseship has healed itself all in one episode? I noticed that in the past it was slowly repairing, but last week the ends of the pylons were still stubs, and this week it's almost totally back to good.

I think this episode was necessary, and yeah, maybe some retconning at work there, but Hera had to be made back into the single unifying force. I'm worried about the subplot they are introducing with Baltar. With only four episodes left, it seems a strange time to introduce that kind of conflict, but I guess Baltar has to be wrapped up rather than having him fade away into the night.

Michael Hogan was pretty amazing in this episode. I thought it was interesting that we've seen a different Ellen since she was downloaded, but this episode she seemed to revert to form pretty seriously. She wasn't kidding when she told Adama that she's still Ellen.

Looks like Kara is up next for plot loose ends to be tied up!

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

The plot with Baltar seems like a not-so-obvious extension of what they've been doing all season. He's become this leader but the reason why has been unclear. So they had to do something, and this looks like it will be a significant development.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow.
That was, like, two seasons of drama packed into one episode!

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

Not looking at any of the comments because I have not seen the Episode yet. If you count on Hulu like do to watch BSG, starting with this ep, they will not be posting them online until 8 days after the original air date. JERKS!!! GOSH!!!

However, it is currently available for download on iTunes. Oh well, at least it is only two bucks.

neo-dragon
Member # 7168

And to think, I figured that Ellen's manipulative and destructive personality was just a construct of her false human identity. I guess the five's human personalities aren't necessarily as different from their cylon ones as I had assumed when we saw patient and motherly Ellen last week. I'm also kind of annoyed by how quickly certain members of the final five have turned their backs on humanity.

BTW, was there any explanation given for how Ellen and Boomer found the fleet?

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

magic. Rule of Cool. Speed of Plot.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by ReddwarfVII:
Not looking at any of the comments because I have not seen the Episode yet. If you count on Hulu like do to watch BSG, starting with this ep, they will not be posting them online until 8 days after the original air date. JERKS!!! GOSH!!!

However, it is currently available for download on iTunes. Oh well, at least it is only two bucks.

Doesn't the Sci-Fi channel website stream it for free?
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by neo-dragon:

BTW, was there any explanation given for how Ellen and Boomer found the fleet?

I suppose that it could mean that Cavil's fleet knows roughly where they are, and hasn't made a move yet for some reason (related to the destruction of the hub, maybe). It might be that his willingness to fight went down a lot more now that he is looking at permanent death.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Doesn't the Sci-Fi channel website stream it for free?

Yes, but it would go up at the same time as Hulu. For example I have now downloaded and watched the ep over iTunes and neither Scifi Channel nor Hulu have posted it yet.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok dudes. [Smile]

I just spent the past 15 minutes transcribing Ron Moore's podcast of "No Exit", located about 20 mintues in.

It is a cut scene but says ALOT, and important enough for Ron to read it word for word to us. Deals with the Lords of Kobol and existance in general:

-=ELLEN TO BOOMER, SIX MONTHS AGO=-

Self awareness is not confined to the “real world”. In theater, fictional characters are sometimes given a form self awareness. This is known as breaking the Fourth Wall. The device is a form of meta-fiction. Allowing characters to address the audience directly and comment on the narrative which they themselves are participants. In doing so the characters transcends their fictive nature and enter into a dialectical relationship with their viewer, with each side seeking to persuade the other of the innate truth of their reality. But does a character actually exist? Does it have form and shape beyond the page on which it is written? Can it ever truly break the Fourth Wall and address the unseen, undreamt of audience that watches it’s every move from the safety beyond the footlights? The Lords of Kobol once felt that Man could never break through the Fourth Wall, could never look upon the Gods with understanding and grasp the divine nature of life. They believed this until one day Man stole their fire and created the first Cylons, the first artificial life. And then Man, is his arrogance, believed Cylons could never break the Fourth Wall and Man believed that right up until the moment the first centurions rebelled. And then the great exodus from Paradise began. You see, Boomer, we are not finite creations, we have the ability to evolve, we have so much more potential.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post 
Telperion, way cool! Thanks!
Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, very cool.

I'm worried that Baltar and company are going to end up destroying humanity until there are only thirteen humans and thirteen cylons left to begin a new race of beings. I don't think I'd like that end, but it occurred to me that the writers might be going there.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

I still don't believe that BSG is going to have such a grim ending. In fact, the grimmer it seems leading up to the end the more certain I am that hope will be found. To me, all signs point to the human and cylon races coming together as equals for the first time ever, after thousands of years of enslavement and attempted genocide. I really liked Tigh's line about how neither humans nor cylons alone has ever worked.
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
What did Roslin and Adama say at the very end? Did they say, "This has happened before?"
Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Adama said, "It's already happened, hasn't it?"
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

Referring to the inevitable integration of human and cylon culture.
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Darn it, Hulu... what's taking you so long to post the episode?!?
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Telp -

Is the podcast from Moore the same thing as the episode that is up on Sci-Fi.com with the episode commentary, or is it something else?

Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
The sci-fi channel is usually way faster at putting up episodes. I've been forced to go through alternate means to obtain this week's episode. Downloading now...
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

Look guys, both Scifi and Hulu are not going to post the ep until next Saturday. That is the normal for the rest of the season. You are going to have to get it from iTunes or download it as a torrent.

And since I recently (bout two months ago) got a real nasty virus from a bit torrent site, I would stick to iTunes. Believe me, the 2 bucks is worth it to watch it commercial free.

Just checked iTunes for the podcast. Not there on that one either. I am betting the podcast is following the same mode as the free episodes through Scifi and Hulu.

ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

By the way, anyone notice the return of Head Six? What is the significance of that do you think?

Seems like she is pushing Baltar and his tribe the same direction as Gaeta and Zarek. What's up with that?

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Head Six should have been in most of the previous episodes - her scenes were just cut. I kept seeing flashes of her in various previews, but not in the actual episodes. [Frown]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And since I recently (bout two months ago) got a real nasty virus from a bit torrent site, I would stick to iTunes. Believe me, the 2 bucks is worth it to watch it commercial free.
depends on where you go to get your torrents i guess. I've been using bittorrent for 8 years now and never had a single problem. if you have a problem with the legality, that's one thing, but the safety is just a matter of what sites you use and how well you check things out before you download(ratings, comments, number of seeders, etc...).
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

She was there briefly like two or three episodes ago. I don't know if she said anything or not though.
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
The sci-fi channel is usually way faster at putting up episodes. I've been forced to go through alternate means to obtain this week's episode. Downloading now...

The past few episodes were up at midnight. And I was able to watch Dollhouse and T:SCC the next day.

Anyway, I broke down and got it on iTunes. I guess that fact that I'm now PAYING to see this show means I'm officially sucked in.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Well.

To be honest, the final scene of the episode, revealing that the Cylons had been putting pictures of their own dead comrades in the Hall of Remembrance was really touching.

Imagine! Cylons placing pictures of their own loved ones among all the dead humans. It's... really a change.

I mean, Cylons everywhere now, walking the halls of Galactica. Working on it. Suited up for flight duty. It's crazy. Heavy raiders flying alongside vipers to guard the RTS.

That's how the show is going to end. The humans and the cylons joining together. The fact that the cylons joining the humans are all three really hot doesn't hurt, of course. [Big Grin]

Of course, this is all assuming Brother John Cavil doesn't finish the job he's started by killing everybody. Still possible.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I still want to know where the heck everyone else is.
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

For all the talk of Hera's importance we see very little of the Agathon family...
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, they have practically disappeared from the show.
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

The major questions that remain:

What will happen at the abandoned Cylon homeworld/colony?

How will the Human race end?

How will the visions play out?

What is the deal with Hera and Kara?

What are the Head Beings, and why have they been manipulating things for thousands of years? And for what end?

I wonder if all Humans are actually "cylons", artificial life created by the Lords of Kobol, who may be the original "Humans".

scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by neo-dragon:
For all the talk of Hera's importance we see very little of the Agathon family...

That's because they aren't very dramatic. They are a happy loving family, no affairs, no suicides, no drama. So, no point in bringing them up until they are ready to deal with the whole Hera thing.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That's because they aren't very dramatic. They are a happy loving family, no affairs, no suicides, no drama. So, no point in bringing them up until they are ready to deal with the whole Hera thing.
I don't agree with you. This supposes that only things like affairs, suicides, and infighting are interesting.

It doesn't take much imagination to put a loving family into an interesting situation without damaging the essential ties that bind them together. (That is, Helo doesn't have to commit adultery to be interesting)

I'm a little tired of all the dysfunctional families on BSG.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't BSG pretty much about dysfunctional families, both as the central driving force of the plot and between the individual characters?

From the miniseries onward, a BSG without tortured and dysfunctional relationships would be like a Joss Whedon show where people find true love and don't die.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.