FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Battlestar Galactica Season 4.5 Thread (Page 8)

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica Season 4.5 Thread
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
I rather liked past episodes which dealt with the Agathons. The fact that they are surprisingly happy and normal is part of what makes them interesting to me. I can relate to Helo. He's pretty much a regular family man with a strong moral compass. In fact, maybe Helo and Sharon are meant to be another example of the theme of humans and cylons coming together. Theirs is the most successful marriage in the series.

I don't know how filming schedules overlapped, but the fact that Helo's actor (damned if I can remember how to spell his name) is on Dollhouse might be why he's barely been on BSG this season.

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Which makes the Agathon family the oddball out for actually managing to be normal despite a messed up family premise.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Isn't BSG pretty much about dysfunctional families, both as the central driving force of the plot and between the individual characters?

I didn't follow the initial seasons very closely; but yes-- this point has annoyed me about the show.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Which makes the Agathon family the oddball out for actually managing to be normal despite a messed up family premise.

omgz! You just stumbled upon why Ron doesn't like the show! Its trying in a subtle way to point out that wierd marriages work!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Tolkien once said that stories about what is great, or good, or beautiful are not told until those things are in jeopardy/destroyed.
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
Last week's episode is in Megavideo.
Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

Just when we were going on about what a happy family the Agathons are...
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

- posted      Profile for Wonder Dog           Edit/Delete Post 
You said it.

Holy Frack.

Posts: 353 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

- posted      Profile for ReddwarfVII           Edit/Delete Post 
Called it. Kara is like Hera..half cylon.

Wow, Boomer is fully dark side. That is messed up.

Posts: 263 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed. Wow...
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

- posted      Profile for BryanP           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ReddwarfVII:

2nd all around.
Posts: 326 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sylvrdragon
Member # 3332

- posted      Profile for sylvrdragon   Email sylvrdragon         Edit/Delete Post 
So I wonder who the puppet-masters are going to end up being, and I wonder why they're having Baltar's people arm themselves.

One thing that could be is the Powers-that-be have lost control of Cavil's faction and are putting plans into motion to bring to a halt. To do this, they need as many of the Fleet armed as possible, and since they already had a foothold on Baltar, they're using him to that end.

I think the Galactica is going to end up following Boomer's Raptor (probably using some sort of Cylon technology to follow them- They're good at that, after all), which will provoke a battle against Cavil's faction.

The fray will leave the Galactica with the ability to make only one last jump which will be guided by some as-yet unseen force (most likely another drawing or something by Hera).

Surely, at least one of the remaining episodes will revolve around the debate of whether the Galactica can survive that last jump (or the second to last). That debate will end with "What the frak ELSE are we going to do?" as I'm sure they probably won't take the rest of the fleet with them to confront Cavil.

The driving force behind following Boomer in the first place will undoubtedly be Roslin and/or Caprica.

Posts: 636 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to know if Kara was imagining the piano player (daddy??) all along. My guess is no, unless the bartender is ignoring the fact that she's talking to herself, which is entirely possible given that it is Kara. But he'd been using gestures that were obviously reminiscent of young Kara playing piano with her father, and there was nobody next to her when Saul swooped in upon recognizing the tune. Or did Saul just push the piano guy out of the way and we didn't get to see that - along with all of his sheet music, etc? All she's got in front of her at that point is Hera's star drawing.

Another thought... Kara was playing the cassette that Helo rescued when she was in the sick bay with Anders. Dreilide Thrace - presumably Daddy? The same tune as she was playing in the bar, the one that the Originals recognized. Was that their headmusic? The "All Along the Watchtower" that's just never sounded like Hendrix or Dylan to me?

We really need some answers about Kara and who or what she found in that crashed Viper. Who the hell is she now? And I still stand by my assertion that Kara =/= Starbuck. Similar to, if not just like, Boomer =/= Athena.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

quote:
Originally posted by Goody Scrivener:
I want to know if Kara was imagining the piano player (daddy??) all along.

I'm pretty sure that she was, and I pretty much assumed as much from the start. BSG has had enough "head" characters/music that when someone new and mysterious shows up out of the blue I always pay attention to whether others interact with him/her or if only one person does. In this case, Kara is the only person who ever interacted with or acknowledged the pianist in any way.
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BryanP:
quote:
Originally posted by ReddwarfVII:

2nd all around.
Boomer must die now, hopefully at the hands of Athena. Usually I don't advocate 8 on 8 violence but she went way to far.
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone call Alvin Maker.

Great Episode. I'm probably going to want more Ellen material after this ends.

Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Is Hulu one episode behind? Grrr!!!
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

Ron Moore actually stated in the Podcast that Kara was interacting with a head version of Daddy. So yes we have seen Kara's father Daniel who taught her to play "All Around the Watchtower".

Without actually coming out and saying that Kara is half cylon, he pretty much confirmed that theory. So I am guessing that Kara being half cylon is the lesser part of the mystery around her. The bigger part is how did she get to and from earth and where was she resurected?

Nighthawk man, just give in. iTunes had the ep posted for download last night at 1 am Mountain Standard Time. Hulu is going to stay 1 week behind for the remainder of the episodes. They stated that on the website last week.

Posts: 263 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by neo-dragon:
quote:
I want to know if Kara was imagining the piano player (daddy??) all along.

I'm pretty sure that she was, and I pretty much assumed as much from the start. BSG has had enough "head" characters/music that when someone new and mysterious shows up out of the blue I always pay attention to whether others interact with him/her or if only one person does. In this case, Kara is the only person who ever interacted with or acknowledged the pianist in any way.
I guessed pretty early on that he was just in her head, for the same reasons. I even suspected that it was her father, but I wasn't sure if that made since she apparently has some memories of her father.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone else notice the tape that Kara had labeled "Dreilide Thrace"? If you look closer at the tape in the scene where she is playing the tape for Anders, the subtitle reads "Live at the Helice Opera House".

Which means the Opera House visions probably refer to a place where that song was played, and which all of the Cylons remember. Of course, why did Roslin and Baltar have visions of this opera house, too? Are they having their own memories, or are those forces-yet-to-be-named putting those memories there?

Also, is Roslin dead? Is the photo on SciFi.com of Lee at a funeral?

Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the musical reveal with the Watchtower music (kinda) and Bear McCreary's blog has a pretty long, interesting, and in-depth post(s) about the development of the musical elements of the episode.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

Here's the video of the "Final Four"/"Watchtower" scene. I could watch/listen to this forever. [Smile]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrEyELBeT3o

(putting the link too would be better)

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

quote:
Originally posted by Marlozhan:
Which means the Opera House visions probably refer to a place where that song was played, and which all of the Cylons remember.

Yeah, that's pretty much confirmed in this interview:

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/entertainment_tv/2009/02/battlestar-galactica-starbuck-boomer-someone-to-watch-over-me-.html#more

Posts: 326 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Corwin: Indeed. This season's soundtrack CD should be pretty nice, as always.

I wonder if anyone is going to make a Rock Band/Guitar Hero version of the BSG version of the Watchtower song [Smile]

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReddwarfVII
Member # 8879

Looking at the previews for next week I agree that it looks like Lee is at a funeral. That image combined with another image I saw on Scifi's website leads me to believe that we are seeing the funeral of Laura Roslin.

They hold her funeral and abandon Galatica at the end of it? Maybe...

Nighthawk
Member # 4176

I'm just wondering how the hell they're going to wrap this mess up in three episodes.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

Kabooooom!!!!

Kidding.

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, no wonder I didn't recognize the headmusic as being Watchtower.... it's Bear's version, not Jimi or Dylan. I just watched a Youtube of Bear's version and recognized it there. Sneaksy.

And yeah, you guys probably all hashed that out at the end of S3 when I was weeks behind because of the Hulu/SciFi wait times. [Taunt]

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mocke
Member # 11963

- posted      Profile for Mocke           Edit/Delete Post 
Bittorrent
eztv.it has reliable tv torrents. I can understand about the virus worries though. one site eztv linked to when they were having server troubles was bt-cafe (i think), and their pages loaded viruses. gnurrr.

Also, yes bittorrent is of dubious legal quality, but where I am I can't use Hulu or itunes...

I am happy we have seen the last cylon, and he is good. I'm curious as to how he escaped Cavil, and where he is now.

Also, I hope Boomer is good. I have serious doubts, but I have the hope. Either way, I doubt she'll live to the end...

And, I don't think the Galactica is jumping again. It is too damaged. My guess is Cavil will come to them just as they find a planet, and Adama, being made of pure, 12 colonies grown, badassness, will plow the Battlestar right into Cavil's ship. maybe.

On another related subject, Last year I watched all of ST:Voyager, and the whole time I wondered how that ship could stay so pristine during the voyage. I think they really cheated themselves out of a good story by not going the Battlestar route where you see the ship slowly fall apart.

Posts: 86 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

quote:
On another related subject, Last year I watched all of ST:Voyager, and the whole time I wondered how that ship could stay so pristine during the voyage. I think they really cheated themselves out of a good story by not going the Battlestar route where you see the ship slowly fall apart.
You gotta admit, Federation repair technology is far superior.

Galactica's looking like a '73 Pinto right about now.

Mocke
Member # 11963

- posted      Profile for Mocke           Edit/Delete Post 
And Boomer totally dinged the wheelwell

Federation technology is far superior...if you can get to a starbase. I don't recall a starbase being anywhere in the Delta quadant. But just think, in the same way they are using organic metals on the battlestar, Janeway could struggle with having to use borg nanotech to hold her ship together.

Posts: 86 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
quote:
You gotta admit, Federation repair technology is far superior.

Galactica's looking like a '73 Pinto right about now.

"Year of Hell" is what you're looking for.

Replicator technology helps immensely. So long as they can come across the energy sources necessary to keep the replicators going, they're never going to run out of parts. I suspect that if the Cylons hadn't kept Galactica on the run, they could have stopped to make repairs constantly to keep her in running order. But when you see Voyager harried and on the run, she falls into a similar state of disrepair, worse even.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

Too bad Galactica doesn't get a reset button...
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
PHLEBOTINUM technology helps immensely.

Fixed! [Big Grin]

Actually, ST is rather consistent with its use of phlebotinum (referring to TV Tropes for the uninitiated) from episode to episode and show to show, at least once we got past the first couple seasons of TNG. They usually avoid misapplied or forgotten phlebotinum.

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Galactica doesnt need a reset button.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
The 13th Cylon = Daniel. A Head-Being...any link to the Cylon God perhaps? The fallen (ascended) 13th Lord of Kobol?

From what I saw in the preview they are going to link Anders to the Cylon Data Stream. A new Cylon Oracle to outmatch the Basestar Hybrid in prophecy?

The funeral could be either for Laura or for the crew who will die in the hull breach.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

To be honest I kind of hope the funeral is for Roslin... she's been dying for a long time and it would sort of be silly for her to make it until the end, especially what with the whole 'dying leader' and all.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

She first has to know the truth of the Opera House.
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it will be a deathbed epiphany. [Dont Know]
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

AAAAAARRR!!!

New episode tonight!
Can't freaking wait!!

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I just watched last week's episode, I was a week behind and wow. The moment when Tigh realizes what Kara is playing and then they really lean into it and we all get it, that's one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

As for Boomer...I kind of hope Athena kills her too. It wasn't enough to beat the crap out of her and kidnap her child, but what she did to Helo too? I had sympathy for her before, but it all left me after that.

Edit to add: Also, Bear McCreary mentions on his blog that an entire subplot with Roslin and Adama was cut. I wonder what that was all about.

[ March 07, 2009, 01:39 AM: Message edited by: Lyrhawn ]

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

I really hope/wish they will splice together all the deleted scenes ala the extended "Pegasus" episode for the dvd's.

It was pretty neat to see the Cylon mobile "homeworld".

I wonder if they'll move it to Kobol. [Wink]

BryanP
Member # 7772

quote:
Originally posted by Telperion the Silver:

I wonder if they'll move it to Kobol. [Wink]

Unless they decide to break the cycle of "all this" then that's actually a really good bet.

On the other hand I can't let go of the idea that they haven't found our Earth. It's too big a coincidence that they just happened not to show any distinguishing landmarks/continents, and in the end it'll be pretty disappointing if this show about humans has no real link to our planet, especially since "Earth" was populated by cylons and we are not cylons.

And did anyone think that planet Boomer jumped in front of looked exactly like Jupiter?

Nighthawk
Member # 4176

quote:
And did anyone think that planet Boomer jumped in front of looked exactly like Jupiter?
Just saw it less than an hour ago... I thought the exact same thing.

She also said something to the effect of needing "a dozen" jumps. Did I hear that correctly?

I'm betting the Cylon "homeworld" is conveniently orbiting Earth.

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

That planet did look like Jupiter, but she did in fact say it was going to be 12 jumps to the Colony Ship.

And the Colony looked like it was in a big purple nebula.

[ March 07, 2009, 07:08 PM: Message edited by: Telperion the Silver ]

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

We've already seen Earth with our continents exactly, when Kara came back and they showed Earth, and when they showed her gun camera footage. It's Earth. It's OUR Earth. It's just not our reality.
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

I knew that Kara giving the dogtags to Baltar was going to end up being trouble. I didn't know what he'd find, but I sure as heck didn't anticipate him pulling that stunt.
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

I really dislike him. They should have pushed him out the airlock long time ago.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
I knew that Kara giving the dogtags to Baltar was going to end up being trouble. I didn't know what he'd find, but I sure as heck didn't anticipate him pulling that stunt.

I wasn't the slightest bit surprised. I couldn't believe that Kara would give him that kind of ammo to use for his own purposes. What surprised me was when she slapped him. I sort of started to wonder if she didn't do it on purpose. The issue of Starbuck being back from the dead was sort of dropped as far as the rest of the crew was concerned until this episode. I can't believe she is naive enough to believe that he'd keep it to himself once he found out the truth.

I don't necessarily like Baltar, but he's one of the most interesting characters on the show. It's hard not to be intrigued by someone who is brilliant, but selfish to such a dangerous degree, whose survival instinct kicks in in some truly bizarre but effective ways and who seems honestly tortured and bothered by the events around him but is utterly crippled when it comes to doing something for any other reason than helping himself.

But I'm starting to wonder also how Baltar is going to figure into the endgame scenario here. He's talking now about angels being among the people in the fleet, and while I think his gobblydeegood about life after death is really just resurrection technology, I wonder what there is to the idea of the Head characters being some sort of angels. Cap Six had a Head Baltar who has since been dropped from the show, but Head Baltar led her to do some really interesting things, like what happened on New Caprica, and Head Six led Baltar to do a LOT of influential things that affected the fleet massively. Head Daddy for Kara changed her personally, and also brought Hera's importance even more to the forefront with the song.

Maybe Baltar is on to something as far as these angels go. We know there is something at work here that goes beyond the norm of what has been explained. There's some quasi mystical force that is guiding everything, and one would imagine we're going to finally get the answer to that in the last two episodes, but I'm going to be utterly shocked if Baltar isn't at least partially on to something or near the center of it all. It'd be a let down if he wasn't.

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.