FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Do it. DO IT. Yesterday is, tomorrow, or .. something? DOOO ITTT, dreams? DO IT. (Page 8)

This topic comprises 20 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  18  19  20   
Author Topic: Do it. DO IT. Yesterday is, tomorrow, or .. something? DOOO ITTT, dreams? DO IT.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
It may be closer to a "MS Paint Adventures" sort of thing, really.

I read Homestuck about half the way through up to the truly autism-levels of intricate detail and then the fanbase went off the deep end and I slowly backed off and
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen people on the internet talk about "Homestuck" before but I don't really understand what it is. I assumed comic at first, but I'm not so sure anymore.

I googled it, and found a terrible looking comic, but I'm not sure if that's actually it, or...

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
homestuck actually has a neat visual aesthetic and an interesting presentational premise and much care and devotion has gone into it and it's worth experiencing, but jesus christ it is so easy to get lost, also it has spawned an insane fanbase, like,

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/185/f/4/homestuck_fans__rise_up__by_ciliciancrusader-d3kycj6.jpg

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I-nlxD3jUQ&feature=related

category of 'i like this song but then i heard it on laptop speakers and blanched'

Parkour
Member # 12078

- posted      Profile for Parkour           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
so wait, that means that this is some sort of Fight Club scenario where it's me hilariously injuring myself all summer

Yeah you just stay safe in a chair, good boy.
Posts: 805 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, "Homestuck" isn't exactly terrible-looking once you realize what he's doing. I'm a fan, but I'm not a FAN -- in the sense that I don't really know who half the characters are and couldn't begin to tell you what's going on right now with all the ancestors on their dreamworlds and, um....On the other hand, I know what a "moirail" is. I firmly believe that the story has gone on long enough and he needs to start pulling it back in, though; if he adds another cast, even if just to troll -- perhaps literally -- his audience, I may have to stop reading.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/10trs3/my_exbest_friend_once_threw_a_fullon_screaming/

i sure do love the human race

Parkour
Member # 12078

- posted      Profile for Parkour           Edit/Delete Post 
hey do this.
Posts: 805 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thesifer
Member # 12890

- posted      Profile for Thesifer           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad that my penis was mutilated. I don't want some crazy looking slug, folding space and time to pass spice on to the unsuspecting masses of women.
Posts: 164 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

well, if it ever really gets to you, you could just kill a few duncan idahos to pass time
Misha McBride
Member # 6578

- posted      Profile for Misha McBride           Edit/Delete Post 
oh hey thread
where have you been hiding i missed you

Posts: 262 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

wrote this when it was revealed that diablo III had an upcoming expansion named reaper of souls

http://i.imgur.com/0Ywejqn.png

then i wrote this when the cinematic came out

http://i.imgur.com/6p7bcly.png

Member # 9506

- posted      Profile for 777           Edit/Delete Post 
I looked at when the thread started, and was shocked to see how long ago it was. The fact that it stopped growing must be due to other forms of social media or social life or life outside of Hatrack. Also, broken Windows. I mean, I don't think that 8 is that bad, but maybe others didn't take the transition quite so well.
Posts: 292 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

I just knew it yo

friendster and google plus killed forums.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

because i hate each and every one of you and wish suffering upon you

http://orteil.dashnet.org/cookieclicker/

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
wrote this when it was revealed that diablo III had an upcoming expansion named reaper of souls

http://i.imgur.com/0Ywejqn.png

then i wrote this when the cinematic came out

http://i.imgur.com/6p7bcly.png

The more I laughed the sadder I became. :/
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
what is the best pizza topping?
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Marek:
what is the best pizza topping?

Sliced up hot pickled sausage. Sounds weird but seriously, it's freaking amazing on pizza.
Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
I get the feeling this is a prank, where we all order our own pizzas with that on them, and find out when we eat it, that we have been duped.
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wingracer
Member # 12293

- posted      Profile for Wingracer           Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, I'm serious. My dad used to make pizza with them all the time and I loved it. Talking about it is making me hungry, might have to go out and get some supplies.
Posts: 891 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

as an individual topping, ground lamb.

as a pièce de résistance alongside other ingredients, basil

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Ham. Pizza with ham.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Yunk. The Czechs love sunka (basically thin sliced ham) on their pizza and I find it gross.

Give me some Buffalo sausage (as in made fro buffalo meat) on my pizza any day.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

title is real
Samprimary
Member # 8561

"I think we've all been there, jobless with nothing but a bucket of hotdogs, a block of processed cheese, a van, an American flag, and a goddamn dream.

Or at least that was my initial impression. Since the campaign started, the guy has actually built his kitchen (look at the updates!), done some hotdog catering, set up his entire supply chain, and he appears to have his budget planned very well, albeit with the help of "How to Start a Hotdog Cart" eBooks. He's got a dream, man, and none of us and not even the devil himself is going to be able to stop him. Unlike a lot of crappy Kickstarters, I believe this is going to happen with or without our funding. This guy is Forrest Gump and his shrimping boat/hotdog stand might as well be built right next to the Field of Dreams. I don't mean to imply that he's an idiot, but that I admire his blind confidence and hotdog faith.

I come from Hipsterville where we only eat hotdogs ironically, as a joke, so that other people can look at us and say "Haha. That's hilarious. Let me take an Instagram of that. Imagine if you ate hotdogs and actually liked them." So this campaign touches me in ways both mystical and nostalgic. It makes me yearn for the days when I could eat bad food unironically and wear plaid because it's warm and because lumberjacks are cool, not because I'm trying to convey some dumb hidden message. Every time you eat a hotdog, you get to become a kid again for two minutes.

The hotdogs are hilarious, but I genuinely hate it when people get flak for "trying too hard." We badly need more people who try too hard. It's the most foolish insult to say, "I dislike you because I dislike effort." We are a generation of people who were told their entire lives by nurturing, caring, hippie parents they we are all geniuses. Every boy a wonderboy. Every child above average. But rare is a parent who doesn't care about test scores and IQs, but instead praises their kid only for trying and failing. Effort, man. Effort. That matters so much more than innate intelligence, than knowledge, than wit. You should try to do new things even when (hell, especially when) you think you will fail. This man is trying hard, with all his might, for an aspiration that isn't even lofty. It's humble man wanting for a reachable goal involving the most meager of foods in the tiniest of towns in the poorest of states.

Yeah, I'll be damned if I'm going to dislike a guy for trying too hard. It's apparent that he has turned to crowdfunding only because he has already put every spare dollar he owns into this business. I might not believe in the superior deliciousness of Doobie's hotdogs, but I want to believe in them. And I would eat one.

Another thing is that this appears to be a very small town where the median household income is 20 grand and the most prominent restaurant is a Subway. A hotdog stand, of all things, could affect real change there. It's a good story: The unfeeling internet hordes pulling together to fund a rural hotdog stand in Reform, Alabama. That is something I want to be part of. "Doobie's Dog House" is a name worthy of headlines. I want confused journalists to try to figure out what the **** happened, why it happened, and how they can possibly convey the idea of crowdfunding to their readers. It'll be like when CNN tries to explain memes. At the very least, this has the potential to make an entire town wonder about Something Awful. Someday, I would like to drive to Doobie's Dog House, eat a hotdog, and think of goons.

To finally answer your question about our motivations, it's definitely the third option. We are good and bad meats processed together and extruded as 6 foot tall tubes, both cynical and kind, complicated and salty. Goons are actual hotdogs. I pledged $25 for both entertainment and charity. If this works and there's a hungry Alabama goon who wants my hotdogs, they can have them. Just please take pictures so it's like a child sponsorship charity, only for meat tubes instead of impoverished children. If the Kickstarter fails, then I will have paid nothing and told a guy that I admire his efforts and his gumption."

goons power doobie's dog house (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/657642328/doobies-dog-house) to fruition

Misha McBride
Member # 6578

- posted      Profile for Misha McBride           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We haven't talked too much about the town where this Kickstarter is from, but I think that's part of the story: Reform, Alabama. Named apparently by an irate preacher. Population: 1675. Median household income: $15k. 45% African Americans. It has a a Dollar General, a Subway, a small grocery store, and some gas stations. Google maps comically labels nothing but three cemeteries and an airport.

It's like a place we all picture in our minds when we think of proverbial small town America. Heck, if you walk the town there are American flags down the entire stretch of the road. But this place has lost a fifth of its population in 10 years. Incomes, already poverty-line, have dropped 25% in a decade. Exactly a year ago, a storm wrecked the place. It decimated a thrift store (now rebuilt) that is right next to where Doobie's Dog House will be located. I tell you all of this just to make a round-about point: A humble hotdog stand, of all the things in the world, could help this town. It could affect real change.

Hotdogs are hilarious. They're also universal, a sort of basic meat currency. And they're edible time machines. They bring us back to child-like states of glee and energy. If you eat a hotdog, you get to travel back to an age when you thought that anything was possible, you could do anything, you could become anyone.

Reform, Alabama could probably use a few hotdog-shaped time machines.

I clicked on that thread Wednesday night thinking "yeah right" and left it minus $25 thanks to Noni's posts.
Posts: 262 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

yeah likewise. it was just another terrible kickstarter being mocked along all the other ones, but somewhere along the line someone just saw this complete earnestness in it and was like 'you .. you know what ..'

end result, I'm invested too and i hope the frogdog happens

Samprimary
Member # 8561

No I'm serious there are way too many colors of mountain dew AND i want a burger.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

And a rothlesfrogdog
Samprimary
Member # 8561

http://i.imgur.com/MlL8gAS.jpg

sure thing cosmo

Samprimary
Member # 8561

oooooooooooooooooo
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Those are both hilarious, Samp. Albeit for very different reasons.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

dont waaaaatch this

http://i.imgur.com/O0RD9lc.gif

scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
What is that thing behind his hand D:
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No I'm serious there are way too many colors of mountain dew AND i want a burger.

My boys are upset that all the slushies at Taco Bell are now various flavors of Mountain Dew. They aren't allowed caffeine, so no slushies for them.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

WHY CANT YOUR KIDS HAVE CAFFEINE I HAD CAFFEINE EVERY DAY OF MY LIFE AND I TURNED OUT FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE ASDJKF FHJLSADR RKJF;DLK.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A FLOPPY INTO THE SLOT. IT’S HATRACK RIVER FORUM AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, SAMP. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME BAD POSTERS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE GALAXYS MOST DANGEROUS FORUM. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng
Geraine
Member # 9913

- posted      Profile for Geraine   Email Geraine         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread needs a dash of homoeroticism.

Samprimary, this is hands down the greatest thread you have ever started. For this, I love you, you gorgeous hunk of man meat. I went over to my Jamaican neighbors and let them see your posts, and they fell in love with you as well.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

My Jamaican neighbors are ridiculously nice. I could even work near them, that's how together we are. I only see the individual.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Were your Jamaican neighbors there when you singlehandedly sailed to the rescue of the USS Cole? I imagine they'd have to be, since they're so nice, right?
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

this is getting oddly specific and I would like to remind you that they are background information. talking about them pertains only to my sense of inclusiveness, anything more than that and you're just distracting from my all-eclipsing life experiences. which are about me.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

hey mormons

http://i.imgur.com/FXZlre2.png

Elison R. Salazar
Member # 8565

- posted      Profile for Elison R. Salazar   Email Elison R. Salazar         Edit/Delete Post 
I was like, I don't get it.

Then I did.

Posts: 12931 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vineyarddawg
Member # 13007

- posted      Profile for vineyarddawg           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elison R. Salazar:
I was like, I don't get it.

Then I did.

Absolutely. Alaskans like neither beer nor bacon, and are therefore horrible Americans.
Posts: 124 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

are you guys talking about those creepy walking pale things north of the wall
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought we were calling it "Left Canada" now.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
hey mormons

http://i.imgur.com/FXZlre2.png

I like that.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

"a segment"

http://the-toast.net/tag/a-day-in-the-life/

[ December 03, 2013, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: Samprimary ]

CT
Member # 8342

- posted      Profile for CT           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Samp. The world is too small for you.

God love ya.

(the all-caps one above? I DIE.)

Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:
Originally posted by CT:
Oh, Samp. The world is too small for you.

Are you calling me FAT
  This topic comprises 20 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  18  19  20   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.