Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 66)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  63  64  65  66  67  68  69  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: Random musings.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Training in martial arts while pregnant seems to be harder on classmates than on the pregnant woman.
That raises some interesting theater of the mind. Of course I'm thinking of nine months pregnant.
Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
^ One of my former instructors was said to have continued training--not just in drills but in sparring--through the entirety of all three of her pregnancies. I understand her mentality but think it was cruel toward her students. She must have believed she could protect her fetus, but no sane person could give their all in a match against a pregnant woman. As soon as I suspected that I was pregnant, I went to light contact sparring. I've figured out since then that "no contact" isn't even an option, because I have a tendency to step into an attack to get the upper hand. I won't be sparring again until after childbirth.

But now that my belly's getting big, some people dislike so much as throwing a technique in my direction. They know better than to show their discomfort during class. Still, I feel a bit sorry for them when they mention it afterward.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

- posted      Profile for Foste   Email Foste         Edit/Delete Post 
This afternoon I took a nap and dreamed I was in a succubus strip bar.

I sure have some problems...

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Not necessarily Foste. You should see some of my strange dreams.

Could be part of a story though... [Smile]

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Foste:
This afternoon I took a nap and dreamed I was in a succubus strip bar.

I sure have some problems...

[Eek!]
Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Last night---afternoon to you non-nightshift workers---I dreamed I'd gone into work and my regular partner on Saturday was on vacation and the result was near-chaos.

Of course, after I woke up, I went into work and my regular partner on Saturday was on vacation and the result was near-chaos.

What's the point in dreaming something if I'm just going to live through it all again when I wake up?

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

Would humanity be doomed if the average IQ took a sudden swing upward?
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Robert that could be a story even though it had been.

And aspirit... I don't know, depends on how everyone reacts and/or what type of inventions they come up with.

But again it could be a good what if story idea.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't appeal to me much...I wish I could "lucid dream" more often and use it as an escape from reality...on the other hand, I wouldn't even get out of bed to do something like this, much less write, or even go to work.

I had a better dream last night. I was getting married to a most charming woman, only seen briefly in the dream, but the wedding was taking place in some warren of discount retail stores. I was woken up by my alarm before I even got to the altar to say "I do."

aspirit: if you can find a copy, read Poul Anderson's Brain Waves, which kinda deals with this theme.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

Robert, lucid dreaming isn't all fun. After a while, you can start to feel as that you're dragged off to unreal places against your will. Though you can control aspects of a dream, it's more difficult to control whether or not you dream that night.

Also, thanks for the recommendation. My public library has a copy of Anderson's Brain Wave.

Random thought for the day: Not thinking about anything can be relaxing, even when it's not during meditation. Pregnancy comes with all sorts of benefits.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I can't get pregnant, I'm a guy... I can think of nothing, I'm a guy.

Actually, I learned how to relax a whole lot of years ago when I had to take speech therapy classes. The person who relaxed the best got to hold a doll for the class. I never relaxed enough. In the last few years the idea hit me that that could have been because I was a guy. But in either case I think I learned to relax there.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

But speaking of lucid dreams there's a TV show about that. A police officer lives in two worlds but he doesn't know which is the waking world and which is the dreaming world.

but aspirit
quote:
lucid dreaming isn't all fun. After a while, you can start to feel as that you're dragged off to unreal places against your will.
One more time.... make a great idea for a story and/or book
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Speaking of good story fodder.

Here's a story on Yahoo News

http://tinyurl.com/spacemining

aspirit
Member # 7974

LD, thanks for that link! I'm currently researching asteroid mining for a story. As for dream stories, I've started two shorts that involve an MC being forced to a dreamworld to help solve dream-beings' problems. Neither are well-developed stories; although, for the more recent, I think the problem is mostly weak characterization.

quote:
I can think of nothing, I'm a guy.
I've heard, mostly from comedians, that thinking of nothing is easier for men. However, I can argue that thinking about nothing and not thinking about anything aren't always the same.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Sorry to hear that...I suppose if I wanted to escape from reality that badly, there are still drugs and such available...but the same problems would come up.

quote:
I can't get pregnant, I'm a guy... I can think of nothing, I'm a guy.
Well, cheer up, think of all the advantages...
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
More evidence that chicks rule.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Great video, snapper. Thanks for sharing.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks KD. I don't know what was better, The catch or the dumbfounded look from the players she showed up.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
That was one spectacular catch--like something out of a movie. I'd be dumbfounded if I were one of the other players, too.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

aspirit I am very qualified and have practiced a lot so now I am ambidextrous. In other words I can do both. [Smile]

Indeed Robert being able to think of nothing is great gain.

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got back from a book signing by Hatrack's own Mary Robinette Kowal. She did a fantastic reading and a little puppet show, and she wrote in the first sentence from "Glamour in Glass" into my hardback (because for some odd reason, the first sentence was cut from the book.)
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Wow, Jennifer.

Wonder if I can talk her into coming around here. [Smile]
I always do that but so far no success... it's not like we are a small town or even small city, either.

Anyway, I have her first on my Nook, they are suppose to be working on way for writers to electronically sign E-books.

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
She and her husband are moving from Oregon to Chicago, and she's stopping in several cities along the route for signings. I'm proud to say that I'm the one who alerted the owners of Broadway Book Mall that she was going to be in Denver, and then they set up the signing. So I had a hand in tonight's event. [Smile]
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Jennifer! You were there, too? I was the one who asked her to compare building a story to building a puppet.

I wish I'd known. I'd have liked to have met you.

And thanks for helping to get a signing for her here.

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Ah, man. I would have loved to have met you, Kathleen. I spent most of my time chatting with Aaron Hughes. Although I have to say I don't remember that question, and I was listening hard to the whole discussion. I really liked her talking about her work in the SFWA.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Oh, wait a minute. You said Denver. My bad.

I went to her Salt Lake City signing.

[Embarrassed]

Oh, well. Maybe we can meet some other time.

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Oh well, indeed. But that's better than being in the same room and not realizing it.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Yeah, I know she was moving so I was wondering how she had the time for signings.

She would have had to make a detour to do a signing here but it may not have been that much of one. Oh, well. One of these days a pro writer I know will come here. Writers I don't know have been here.

History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
Btw, I now concur that there are two types of people in the world: those who laugh at The Three Stooges, and those who don't.

Certoinly,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shaygirl
Member # 9761

- posted      Profile for Shaygirl   Email Shaygirl         Edit/Delete Post 
History: and you would be?

There are two types of people in the world: those who think there are two types of people in the world, and those who don't.

Or maybe they're just sitting around trying to see if their hair smells more like the strawberry shampoo or the apple conditioner.

Confusedly,
~Shay

Posts: 83 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

well, my wife is in one group...she dislikes that type of humor and I'm sort of in the other group. I think some of the Three Stooges is funny, some is worth a smile but a lot isn't.

And Shay in either case or if the answer is both, just don't eat your hair. [Smile]

Shaygirl
Member # 9761

That's what people keep telling me...
Posts: 83 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Chirp, chirp, again.

Well, this is as good a place to say good-bye as any. "Good-bye" meaning "I'm going away for just over a week and my Internet access is limited and I won't be posting till I get back." Just like every other May and October since I've been hanging 'round here.

My relatively recent purchase of a Nook Color gives me some access---I'll be reading what you say, but posting is too much of a rigamarole on that device to make it a pleasant experience.

Someday, I really must update myself and get some of the gizmos that make it easier to reach out and touch someone. I dunno about some of it, though...I think I'll accept what technology appeals to me and my needs, and reject the rest...

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Well, since you are reading these.

Have fun and don't worry about staying in contact...it's only a week and you are suppose to be away from it all. I know what you mean about the Nook keyboard.

I saw one on a iPad and it looked neat, took up about half the screen. Didn't get a chance to try t out though.

aspirit
Member # 7974

"Graffiti" at http://xkcd.com/229/

In a public space,
A moment of reflection.
One's thoughts excreted.

aspirit
Member # 7974

Robert, I hope you're not reading this until after your vacation. Touch what's around you; we'll still be here when you return.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Speaking of the guys in the Statue of Liberty outfits I've been meaning to say this for a over a month.

There's one guy on a street corner who must be losing weight. He advertises for a pizza place so he has a sign and T-shirt from that place. He's obviously overweight but at the same time he dances around so much it's a wonder he hasn't lost a quarter of that weight by now. He spins, dips, moved his arms all in about a two foot space.

Yesterday I saw him and hoped he had some water, it was 90 degrees at least.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Back...the vacation was less about doing something new than getting a change of scene for a week plus...well, I did read a number of new and interesting books, none of which were SF or fantasy...

There are several people hopping about 'round here, holding this sign or that...there are a couple of "We Buy Gold" ones, plus a couple advertising restaurants...I look at 'em and think, "Geez, I know times are tough, but there's gotta be better entry-level jobs than that..."

(Or did I say that back a couple of pages? Alas, I've used up my "A" material here...)

Oh, yeah, I did look in and read what was going on here. Sometime in the next few days, I'll respond to it...

Foste
Member # 8892

- posted      Profile for Foste   Email Foste         Edit/Delete Post 
They say you are the worst judge of your own work.

From now I will tell everyone that my stuff sucks so hard.

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Pardon me for asking this here but does anyone know how YouTube works? Been trying to figure out how to invite someone to a invitation only video. Their FAQs are useless because they say click on account button but there is no account button.

May have found it by accident.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

A little venting here that goes along with my last post.

My sells her stuff through an online mall type of web site. They have rules that the stuff has to be from non pros not stores. So they want pics, copies of receipts and a video of how my wife makes her stuff. Supposedly they do this to all those who participate sooner or later but we and a couple of other crafters think some one complained.

More on my blog later.

aspirit
Member # 7974

quote:
I look at 'em and think, "Geez, I know times are tough, but there's gotta be better entry-level jobs than that..."
Yes, but it pays. Firstly, they might not be looking for a permanent positions, because they're still in school. Secondly, they might appreciate the income (and exercise) while they apply again and again and again for entry-level jobs anywhere and everywhere that might take them.

Also, silly dancing with commercial signs pays better than some jobs. My husband made less per hour as a supervisor at his current workplace than most sign-waivers in our community make.

*Edited for spelling.

aspirit
Member # 7974

The robin nesting by my front door trusts my husband but freaks whenever I pass her. I think it's because my husband whistles to her while I continue, stupidly, to talk to her as if she's a mammal. That, or she's still angry that I took pictures of her eggs.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I've got a catbird that hangs around and follows me from a distance every time I cut the lawn. Six plus years, now.

On "entry-level jobs"...honestly, I don't know how much they pay for dancing around. Also it's a matter of personality---I don't think I could've done that when I was out looking for work, I'm not that demonstrative. (Also I sunburn easy.)

In at least one case 'round here, I think (but do not know) the dancing girl out there with the sign is a relative of the guy who owns the restaurant. But thinking isn't knowing...

On YouTube...this might be overstating the obvious, but...do you have an account with them? (My experience with YouTube is limited to being a viewer (and voyeur)...there's a lot of really cool stuff posted there.)

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Solar eclipse today in the western U.S. (and many other places worldwide). If you're lucky enough to be in an area to watch it, don't forget your special glasses or pin-pricked cardboard box.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Don't use glasses or exposed photo film.

Don't look directly at the sun.

Do use a camera obscura, i. e. a "pin-pricked cardboard box," or just two file cards, one with a hole in it.

[ May 20, 2012, 07:34 PM: Message edited by: Robert Nowall ]

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

What Robert said.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Hmmm, you two may know something I don't.

What is a File car? How would I put a hole in a car?

(ducks)

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

d
Shaygirl
Member # 9761

Just added another reason to get my eyes checked...
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  63  64  65  66  67  68  69  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.