Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 65)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  62  63  64  65  66  67  68  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: Random musings.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
PS here.

I told someone at work about my problems with pages and no header. He said I should change the View. I did sure enough everything showed as it was suppose to, it even looks closer to what I'm used to with my old WP which is good for me.

One thing though, I will still have to make new WP copies of most of my old files especially if I want to add or delete something. That will take some time.

[ March 27, 2012, 12:55 AM: Message edited by: LDWriter2 ]

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcmann
Member # 9757

- posted      Profile for rcmann   Email rcmann         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a Mac user. I jumped ship from Windows to Linux some time ago. But you intrigue me. Why would you need to make new copies? What word processor are you using? and what format? You have puzzled me greatly.
Posts: 884 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I was using Appleworks. Very old but still did what I needed done.. mostly. But my new computer won't open appleworks files but when I open them with pages it creates a new pages' version and gives me the chance to save it or not. If I just wanted to read or print them it wouldn't matter I can not save it, but since I will be making changes with many of the stories I will need to save the changes thus creating a new file.

If that doesn't make sense I will give it another try.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcmann
Member # 9757

Does Appleworks have a Save-as option? If so, can you save as an RTF file? I thought every word processor in the world could could open and export that file format. It's the de facto standard for text interchange, and has been for years.
Posts: 884 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
So far my files have survived one computer, then another, and one version of Microsoft Works after another...even some from my old one-lung word processor could be opened and pasted into Works...but it worries me.

I used to routinely save everything on disks, but they've gotten hard to find these days and for the past couple of years I've saved everything on the computer itself---which was why I hoped getting and saving on that flash drive actually works.

(I've know some of you don't much like Microsoft Works, and there are better word processing programs out there, better for writers...but it, ahem, "works" for me---except for the occasional scrambled not-backed-up file, it's been all right so far.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcmann
Member # 9757

Use what you are most comfortable with. That's my policy. I personally love to do my early drafts on RoughDraft, then bring them into Word for final formatting. Sometimes LibreOffice if I am in the mood to be whimsical.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried Word early on, but, except for short things, it wasn't much use to me. (I've used it to edit things after I've put them in some other format.)

The depths of my ignorance of comptuers can be appalling...when I bought my first one, I was so ignorant of computers that I went shopping for word processing program software, completely unaware that my comptuer came with some already. I've learned a little more since then, but you could fill a manual with what I don't know about computers...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

First I need someone I can Email a file to for a test.

pages has an export feature-so far no save as- but when I make a .rtf copy and open it I get one page and no headers. I mean the story has no page breaks. I would like to send it to someone and see if they get the same thing or not.

rcmann
Member # 9757

Email it to me.
redux
Member # 9277

- posted      Profile for redux   Email redux         Edit/Delete Post 
Pet peeve of the day - people who don't look both ways before crossing the street and think crosswalks have some sort of magical protective barrier.
Posts: 525 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
The penguins! Sweet Astea, the giant eyeless albino penguins! They steal my sanity!
Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

- posted      Profile for Foste   Email Foste         Edit/Delete Post 
Salt makes for a poor dinner.
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Suger on top of dirt is worse.
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Alas, I am not the proud new owner of $640 million. This means I must go to work tomorrow.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

quote:
Originally posted by LDWriter2:
Suger on top of dirt is worse.

Word.

@Jennifer

You should be proud of your 300 000 000 $.

Overachiever. [Razz]

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

When you mix a gallon of the finest vanilla ice cream you can buy with a gallon of well-known word beginning with "s", what do you think the result will taste more like?

Would've bought some tickets for the big jackpot, but Mega Millions isn't available in Florida, I gather.

quote:
The penguins! Sweet Astea, the giant eyeless albino penguins! They steal my sanity!
And a merry Tekeli-li! to all!
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Foste do you mean I should have used the word word or is that a subtle hint it should have been worst?

Now worst is a word I hardly ever see anymore, one assistant editor got after me for not using it but the only people I've seen use it is her and Dean Wesley Smith.

Anyway the sugar and dirt thing... I don't know from personal experience but I've heard the story behind it.

Foste
Member # 8892

Word as in I agree. [Wink]
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Oh?

Okay,

must be too subtle for me. [Smile]

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Word up...it's slang, maybe current slang.

http://onlineslangdictionary.com/meaning-definition-of/word

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

That's good to know. I can have one of my MCs say it. [Smile]

Speaking of that yes it would be one certain MC. The others don't seem to be ones who would talk so much in current slang... well maybe one more.

Hmm, one person in the area of the country I live uses it. [Cool]

But I need to check on that at work some of the new guys are more into some of the newer stuff than those that have been there awhile... even if they are about the same age.

That includes bumping fists--- technically it would touching fists but the other way sounds better. [Smile]

Foste
Member # 8892

quote:
Originally posted by LDWriter2:

That includes bumping fists--- technically it would touching fists but the other way sounds better. [Smile]

Also known as "brofist" [Smile]
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

So I assume girls don't do it? Or only the tough ones?
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Oh, I must say that David Weber also uses Worst or one of his characters does anyway. [Smile]

So that makes three people.

Foste
Member # 8892

I haven't seen girls brofisting, but as far as I know it shouldn't be exclusive to guys. At least if the girl in question is a bit of a tomboy.
Shaygirl
Member # 9761

- posted      Profile for Shaygirl   Email Shaygirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Girls brofist.
Posts: 83 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

quote:
Originally posted by Shaygirl:
Girls brofist.

Oh, yeah! Here ya go shaygirl! [Big Grin]

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/072/542/tumblr_ksczlyQbeU1qzx4k0o1_500.jpg?1318992465

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Beats those weird elaborate handshaking we used to do in the 1970s...
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Robert they still have them. I've seen a couple among the group who does the brofist.

But maybe I can have my Rav-punker MC execute one of those at the end when she wins. She is rather tough.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I said "we," meaning "my generation," 'cause I could never master all the details of doing it.

Anybody besides me poke through the 1940 US Census records, released yesterday? Just this morning, I was able to locate my father and his family...I hope to locate other relatives once I get more information about addresses and names.

But I couldn't get a good printout of it! By roundabout ways, I got a fairly good copy of about half the record (names and ages), but I'd like to be able to print it all. I could look at it all, of course...

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
That's what the snipping tool is for. Or if your computer is older print screen.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Couldn't figure out how to use it...
redux
Member # 9277

- posted      Profile for redux   Email redux         Edit/Delete Post 
If you love Shadowrun and miss it:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1613260297/shadowrun-returns

Posts: 525 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I just bought the Blu-Ray edition of A Night to Remember---one of my all-time favorite movies, maybe my favorite of all time---and watched it through.

To my surprise, I found a brief snippet on the end of one scene towards the end of the film, about fifteen seconds of footage---and I swear, it wasn't in any previous print of the movie I've seen or bought. I see how it fits in---and it explains an odd reference a couple of seconds before that always puzzled me.

It's not hard to see why it was cut---for its era, it's pretty rough stuff, though not for the crowd that loved the Kate and Leo Titanic.

Now I have to dig out some of my old versions to check for sure. I went all the way from recorded off-the-air through laserdisc and DVD and a stop at a CD-ROM version. It could have been in one of the latter ones...but I don't think it's something I'd miss if it was...

Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
Got out of work early today, my twin boys are still napping, and had some time at the computer. Good to check up with the Hatrack crowd.
Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Well, the scene in question definitely isn't on the DVD print---it and the Blu-Ray are both Criterion Collection issues, by the way---and, as my videotape player and laserdisc player aren't hooked up to anything, I'll pass on checking them out. (Don't know where that CD-ROM version is---probably around, but if I have to load something onto my computer to make it work (I forget whether I did), I'll pass.) Still a little puzzled as to why this little bit of extra was released now, and not on other, earlier, home video issues...

Also picked up that box set of Casablanca that's just out---three-disc, Blu-Ray, Blu-Ray extras, DVD of just the movie---and I may take a look at it later today.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I've heard that many times they will re-add cut scenes later. So maybe someone just remembered that one or had some extra room or some such.

And Wordcaster I hope you did some writing too. [Smile]

Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
Inhale this, but do not touch.
Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

As in the abovementioned...I managed to locate my mother and her family on the 1940 census (and spotted several people I knew besides)...but the printout expierence was even weirder. This time, using their "print" link, I got a decent printout of the whole thing (if a bit small)---but the experience froze my computer (or at least my AOL program). A second try at producing someting printed a little larger (landscape, not portrait) produced a blurry two-page printout---and also froze things up.

I've got other relatives to look up...besides, I may do some poking around for the famous and semi-famous. For example, I know where several SF writers lived in 1940, and I'd like to see what they said to the census takers. (Mark Twain listed his occupation as "day laborer.")

I've thought of someone to look up right now, right in my home county...

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to my local public library today looking for back issues of Analog, only to find out they stopped carrying at the start of this year. Sad.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Gee...none of the libraries I used to frequent, school libraries, and the public ones up to about ten years ago, ever carried Analog...
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Up until January, the library closest to my house carried Analog, Asimov's and F&SF. The librarian told me they had to cut $3,000 from the budget this year and some of that came from magazine subscriptions. Analog was among the casualties.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Not surprised...but your library still has the back issues, right? Particularly in my high school library, I had lots of fun looking through back issues of things...none of 'em were SF magazines, though. (It was fun to find something like, say, Heinlein's first appearance in The Saturday Evening Post...though, in my haste and SF-orientation, I probably passed over a lot of other good things...)
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

No back issues. They got tossed when the subscription was canceled, which seems like a horrible waste. I would have happily taken them off the library's hands.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Down here, they organize library sales---great things, where I acquired things like a Scott's stamp catalog and a Jane's ships catalog, obsolete things, but pricey when buying new and really cheap when bought this way---though I don't recall offhand seeing any magazines of any kind among them.

Check with your library...there may be something you can salvage from their next sale...

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Today is the one hundredth anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic---the ship struck an iceberg on the fourteenth and foundered on the fifteenth.

It's also the one-hundred-forty-seventh anniversary of the assassination of Abraham Lincoln. He was shot on the fourteenth and died on the fifteenth.

Perhaps for this reason, this is also the traditional date by which Americans are expected to turn in their tax returns and pay up...

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Except for this year of course... [Smile]

Oh and it looks this year we are getting some money back from the Fed instead of paying. Looks like we finally got what they take out each week right.

On side personal note I'm not jealous of those way above me, I'm jealous of those on my level and below who somehow get thousands of dollars back each year. We never got that much back.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

quote:
Oh and it looks this year we are getting some money back from the Fed instead of paying.
I used to like getting a tax refund check every year, till it dawned on me I was just getting my own money back, and not near as much as I paid in.

Or did I say that last year, too? Well, it still applies...

aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm jealous of those on my level and below who somehow get thousands of dollars back each year. We never got that much back.
Anyone getting that much back either has the wrong deductions or likes loaning money to the federal government (which isn't bad, really).

Random Musing: Training in martial arts while pregnant seems to be harder on classmates than on the pregnant woman. Although, some of the kids in class are still confused about why I can't spar them or test for the next belt level this year. At least we've finally convinced them that my husband won't stop teaching when the baby is born.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Getting back a few dollars is better than paying one to two hundred.

And one or two, of the ones I know, of those getting so much back are getting the earned income extra amount. As I said me and my wife never got that even when I was the only one working way back when.

But a couple of others say they have the usual deductions but they still seem to get way more money back.

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  62  63  64  65  66  67  68  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.