Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 64)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  61  62  63  64  65  66  67  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: Random musings.
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
We have had hardly any snow this year, we usually get quite a bit so it's making people terribly irritable. Even the people who spend all winter complaining about the snow have this kind of reverse SAD. You people are stealing all of our snow and I demand that we have it back. Get yourself some big trucks and planes and cart it over here, NOW!
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Please, come and take all you want. (Although looking outside at the clear skies right now, it's hard to believe we'll have a foot of snow on the ground tomorrow.)
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
It's colder here than most winters, but no snow...it rarely snows here in southern Florida...it's snowed three times in the thirty-plus years since I moved down here.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
For the record, it's been snowing in Denver for 40 hours now, but we're almost at the end. The storm is expected to blow out in the next couple of hours.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
I want snow. Snow is my friend.

Robert, why in the name of all that's geographicaly unsound would you want to live in South Florida?

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Who says he wants to live there?
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I was shanghaied here by my parents when I was seventeen...now I stay for the job and the taxes.

quote:
Odd thing with my Nook Color...the other day, it downloaded some kind of update---which changed how some of the on- and off-screen controls operated. I didn't know it would (or could) do this.
This morning, the start controls on my computer were a different color than they were yesterday...updates like this are profoundly alienating...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
I was born there but my parents, thank Elbesem, got us out when I was 13. It was nice when they were kids but when I left it was already...urg best not to think about it...and its only gotten worse...
Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

It's raining here right now...I can hear it on my skylight...
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Addendum to the "different colors" note: this morning, everything was back to the way they were.
Treamayne
Member # 9700

- posted      Profile for Treamayne           Edit/Delete Post 
It's been snowing off and on in Afghanistan. I normally don't mind snow (being from Detroit) but here is annoying. The soil has a high clay concentration so we'll get 6-8", it'll start melting, but doesn't absorb well so each night everything is iced solid and each day all teh roads are a slushy-muddy mess until we get another 6-8" of snow.
Posts: 61 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

Kindly remove your elephant from Steerpike's monkey!
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Interesting turn of phrase...authentic Peake? or a paraphrase?
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

Well, I don't think the poor monkey could survive an elephant. It made it past the axe, but an elephant would just be too much. That's what makes it funny.

For some reason I've developed a fixation on Steerpike's monkey.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, haven't been this sick in years, like decades, man.

Usually, I get a small case of the flu if I get it at all. A few days ago I thought it would be good to get a little sick and stay home from work to get some writing done, but second thought said if I was bad enough to stay home I wouldn't be able to work... I was right.

The other night I was soo achy and tired. I skipped work yesterday and slept almost all day. Today was better, I went to work and even felt better as the day went on but just before dinner my energy levels went south. I feel ready for bed and it only seven here.

I ate only half of what I usually eat but I need to stay long enough to drink some hot tea and suck on one more Coldease.

When I got home from work I felt good enough to do some writing with a few extra minutes I had. I did good for that twenty or so minutes, in fact I did good at writing at work to. But I won't be doing any more tonight. Well, possibly a tiny bit since I need to stay up an hour longer at least.

Nose isn't dripping that badly but lets not talk about a small cough that has gotten a little bigger.

Something is going around here that hits people differently, sometimes lasting up to three weeks. All the old flues of the past: Russian, Swine, Asian etc, , missed me or I just got small cases of them. Even last year's flu missed me.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

The claim in my family is that we never get the flu---possible, but I'm dubious. I can't say I've ever had the flu, of any variety---never had the shots, either. But I can't say I've never had the flu, either.

However, every six-months-to-a-year, I'm laid low by colds, the last one being three weeks ago (see some of my posts in the recent "Did You Write?" threads), the previous one being the beginning of last July. Aftereffects sometimes linger for months, usually a cough...these last two times, I was all better in a week or so.

What symptoms you have suggest a cold. Which proves nothing. Either way, drink plenty of fluids, keep up with the over-the-counter cold remedies (like Coldease) to ease symptoms, and get plenty of rest...if writing is too exhausting, don't do any of that.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I still get colds and flues mixed but up but a couple of years ago I decided that if I ache it's the flu. The flu is suppose to be worse than a cold after all.

But I forgot to mention the mucus running down the back of my throat.

And if I get a cough it can last for two months or more. It's always been that way. I've been to the Doctor about it and even though he had my chest X-rayed once he found nothing.

And thinking, including writing, seems to have become work.

[ February 11, 2012, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: LDWriter2 ]

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

quote:
...even though he had my chest X-rayed once he found nothing.
Not even heart, lungs, and ribs?
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Having spent the day shopping for a bed (I've been sleeping on the ground for over a year, it's been nice) I really need to write a story about torturing salesmen. Perhaps have a serial killer who gets set off by the word Cadillac. My Grandma had a Cadillac, I wasn't too impressed by it.

I know the power game, I play it all the time. Your feeble attempts at it only serve to show me what a weak and desperate man you are. I pity you, but not enough to buy a lousy mattress for double what its worth.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

When you do get a good bed, after a year of sleeping on the ground, don't be surprised if it's not that comfortable to you right away...
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

quote:
Not even heart, lungs, and ribs?
Nope, just an N.O. portal out of which giant robots occasionally emerge.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I just read a story about someone, or robot etc, with a portal inside of them. Rats can't recall the details though. Maybe it was a dream.
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

Did you get hit in the chest with a left-handed lawnmower motor powered bass guitar by a crazy alien lady who'd just run you over with her Vespa?
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

So where were the boards these past couple of days? I saw they were up last night, but I was on my Nook Color and couldn't post anything...

I made due...but today is a busy day and I haven't time to, say, post the Saga of My Renewing My Driver's Licence, or talk about how J. K. Rowling is writing an adult novel...I'll just say "Hi!" and move on.

Hi!

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Spam was still being generated from the forum, somehow, so they shut it down to see if they could fix the problem. I hope the fact that it's up again means they actually fixed it.

If it suddenly disappears again, however, it probably means they couldn't fix it and have taken more drastic measures like moving it piecemeal to another server and/or to different software--which could mean it would be down for a week or more. <shudder!>

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Ah!
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

I think Steerpike's monkey is behind it all.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Who ever is behind it I beat them. [Smile]

I wrote a new story while the forum was down. Decided I needed a new fantasy for Lightspeed, came up with the first line and away I went. 3,200 some words. I may cut some of that. You may see the first 13 lines of (Hand over mouth) Mumble, Fumble, Blumble on F&F for Stories unless I decide to send it to WotF next time. Which is why my hand was over my mouth when I said the Title.

Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

I think Steerpike's monkey has taken up permanent residence on top of your head, LD.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Give a guy some Mervyn Peake, and he goes all Gormenghastly on us...
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

Indeed. Sometimes I even talk like Dr. Prunesquallor, by all that's vocal.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Okay, I have no idea whom you guys are talking like.
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

Look up Mervyn Peake and/or Gormenghast. Then read the books, by all that's fictional.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Keeping putting this off for a time when a spare minute or three but I finally decided to post it.

Back in Jan and the wife and I went to Pismo we walked the beach. Not at all unusual but under the pier along with the usual Beach goers and Tweeny surfers was a young woman not dressed for the beach.

I'm afraid I stayed at her a bit longer than I should have. Not only because she wasn't dressed for the beach but she was dressed like a character out of a one of the UF novels I read and write. She wore what seems to be the typical Mage-wizard outfit. Full length jacket, Usually it's leather and hers was a sweater but still. And she leaned back against one of the thick pier support beams. Showing that her attitude was right also.

My mind wanted to take off with why she was there and who she was in a UF world. Who knows I may just use that scene sometime... it would make a great opening. But my mind slipped back to why I was there and forgot about her for a while.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Had some problems yesterday. This site---and only this site---took so long to load that I couldn't work with it. (Time was a little short and I had some things to do.)

But it seems to be working fine now...

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I have had slow days like that a couple of times.

Saturday though it wouldn't come up at all. I got that error message. Thought they might trying to fix that spam-hacker problem so it would down for days but it was back up that evening.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Well, everything else worked fine---well, everything other site I went to worked. I tried getting at this site through my Nook Color, which worked, so I was able to take a look-see, but I wasn't in a position to post anything with that, though I'm sure I could.

Still pondering that new computer, though the over-the-counter stuff I've looked at 'round here doesn't seem promising. (My father bought a new one recently, a five-hundred-dollar HP from WalMart...but then needed a new printer as his old one (my original HP printer, in fact, about twelve years old) couldn't be connected up.)

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

So does this article at Slideshow through Yahoo News remind anyone of a certain movie?

http://tinyurl.com/89pesq4

And did he say spiders dropping on his head??!!

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Interesting show tonight.

I was sitting at a redlight at a fairly busy intersection when right opposite of me a homeless guy with a bike and little trailer stopped for a moment at the intersection. Guys on bikes like that have been popping up all over the place the past year. Can go further collecting cans and such plus can carry more of them. Anyway, This guy took what looked like a six to eight inch cross out. Or he may have had it all along, so he started to show it the people in cars driving by. I wondered if this was a new technique to get people to give. He's a Christian -supposedly- so you should give to him. But he kept showing it to the cars. After a few moments he started to slowly pedal across the intersection. He had the green so no problem there but he kept showing the cross to every car. He pretty much ignored two pedestrians but he turned around to show the cross to the cars waiting for the green then turned back to ones driving by him.

So he thought the cars were were filled with vampires or demons???

aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
LD, he might have thought the cars were demons, and I'm not joking.

I've started looking at baby supplies for my registry. I thought it would be fun, but now I understand that a freak-ton of research is needed just so that I decide what to ask for. Sure, sure, the crib should be made of non-toxic materials, and it's generally a good idea to wait until after birth to buy feeding bottles. But what shape of baby tub is the easiest to work with? What is the difference between all those car seats? And do infants really need shoes? Ahhh...I think I need my sister.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

I'd ditch the whole crib thing personally, but I know I am (supposedly) in the minority.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Big PS on homeless man.

Today I learned I way misinterrupted what he was doing. Someone who knows the guy and who was a lot closer to him than I was said he was blessing everyone. I didn't hear anything and must not have been close enough to see his lips moving but this person said he was blessing everyone. Except one guy who evidently didn't like the blessing.

As to cribs, it seems like it wasn't that hard for us to decide. And I don't recall more than a couple baby tubs, has that changed?

But you can go overboard with research and concern too. I've heard of parents who have.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Likely Overrated??!!

Asteroid hit.

Sideshow at YahooNews.

http://tinyurl.com/Likelyoverrated

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Re: back a couple of pages, something I should'a posted a couple of days ago when I saw it...remember the dancing Statue of Liberties / entry-level jobs for tax preparation firms we talked about? Well, last Friday, I finally saw one that was actually a woman...
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Rats, can't write... well actually I can write a quarter or less.

We are getting a new computer. The old one is at the store where they will be transferring all the data on the old to the new one. I'll be getting both tomorrow afternoon.

I'm using the laptop to get online but I won't be able to work on chapter two of Two Struggles or revise the stories I wanted to revise, which includes finishing up the one for Q2.

I could start a new one--an opening line for a UF story with dragons popped into my head today-- and I can start revising those ten stories I did inspired by by the Bookend challenge. Work on "Stone Within" or the one story I had thought about doing for Q3, but that's about it.

The new computer is a Mac mini... had to get a monitor for it and a CD drive-burner but at least we can use the old keyboard and mouse. But be nice to have a new word processor-which I have to buy online- and the latest in iTunes and iPhoto even though those weren't that old. I couldn't download any more updates for those because the new updates are designed for a computer with different hardware not to mention new and improved OS.

Man is that CD player-burner thin. Barely longer and wider than a CD.

Need to get out of here so I can do that writing. I can at least start that UF dragon tale.

[ March 24, 2012, 11:22 PM: Message edited by: LDWriter2 ]

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

A PS here

Man, it's amazing how many times I've used the wrong keyboard.

Right now I have the laptop set up where the desk computer usually is. The desk's keyboard is right below it on on a pull out. I keep typing on the desk's keyboard and wondering why nothing is appearing on the laptop.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I was going to post "chirp chirp" on this thread tomorrow, if somebody didn't say something before that.

On the related topic of saving one's files...I downloaded, or think I downloaded, the contents of my documents file onto something called a 32 GB Flash Drive. Most of you would know better than I just what that is. And I don't know if I succeeded---I have nothing to check it and see right now---but I hope it did, and if my computer screws up in the immediate future all I've lost are a few things I worked on in the last few days. (There is a lot of stuff in the file I could do without, but I saved it all anyway, this time around.)

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I have been using Flash drives as back up since they came out. Yeah, I have what might be one of the original ones.

Now I have four. One's lost though. It has to be in the house but not anywhere I usually keep it. I wonder if my wife put it somewhere when she had a cleaning surge.

It saves all types if data. Pictures, files, music probably even video. I've used one to transfer songs and pictures from my desk top to my laptop. And stories from the laptop to the desk top.

You can open the drive just like any memory device and double check what's on it. I do that now and then to make sure I have a copy or that a file I had already was replaced when I added to it.

I find them fascinating. That little chip has more memory than my original computer. And I could get one with more memory than my desk computer.

And you can carry one with you easy so you always have a back up off campus. I had one on my key ring but the plastic end broke off one day. Good thing I heard the drive hit the pavement. I no longer carry one like that even though I could.

BTW no damage to the drive.

PS originally sometimes they were called thumb drives because they were thumb size. Took me a while even after I bought one to remember what they were called.

snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Found this on my Stumble upon.

Ruin

It's an eight minute short movie set in an apocalyptic future. Very cool. Give it a peak.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Okay, new computer all set up. Had to go buy a different adapter but everything works as it should. Except for our flat scanner. May have download a driver for it but we our printer has a scanner so we may not need it.

Got pages which is a good thing. I tried opening my old word processor's files and got a message saying it can't open that WP anymore.

But I have figured out if I can put headers on a pages file. It will open the old WP's files but no headers.

Monitor is wider now-- it does make a difference. Computer is faster. The old computer was suppose to be fast but this opens files-even online- even faster.

CD drive works but I had a problem. I put in a music ĒD to test it but it kept kicking it back out. Finally got the idea that it was upside down... wonder why they would want us to place CDs in upside down. Oops. it wasn't the CD that was upside down.

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  61  62  63  64  65  66  67  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.