Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 16)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: Random musings.
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
Today I discovered that very strange things will happen to your pictures if you get your digital camera wet....
Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
come to think of it, the story he's in is in the public domain (I think), and writing a story from his point of view could be done. Whether I (or anyone else, for that matter)think it should be or not is another question, however.

Dang it, that was my brilliant idea, I've been working on it for years. Now you go and share it with a bunch of writers, some of them are actually capable of carrying it off. (Just kidding, but I have been working on a Renfield novel.)

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Our supervisor has decided to shuffle everybody around from their usual work areas this coming week---because he can, apparently. When our efficiency goes down, that'll be our reward.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
"We're gonna need to go ahead and move you downstairs into storage B. We have some new people coming in, and we need all the space we can get. So if you could just go ahead and pack up your stuff and move it down there, that would be terrific, OK?"

- Office Space

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DWD
Member # 8649

- posted      Profile for DWD   Email DWD         Edit/Delete Post 
At the substantial risk of starting a cascade of Office Space quotes:

"Michael, we don't have a lot of time on this earth! We weren't meant to spend it this way. Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about about mission statements." -- Peter Gibbons

Posts: 88 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

Robert, what you need to do is print up dozens and dozens of signs and tape them up all over the office. "No, not this way, Person X!" "Person Y, take a left here." "U-turn, Person Z, U-turn!"
Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
The reason we have supervisors is because useless people need jobs too. This is what happens when a person sits in their office with too much time on their hands, I say get 'em addicted to World of Warcrack.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Just think, if we didn't have supervisor positions for the idiots of the world, they would probably end up in a real job where real work is required and they could do some real damage. I'm happy we just box them up in an office and let them burn all their idiocy off on things like planning staff meetings and setting team goals. The world is much safer that way.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslteacher
Member # 8640

- posted      Profile for eslteacher   Email eslteacher         Edit/Delete Post 
Must...stop....laughing....can't breathe!...
Posts: 27 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm e-mailing you IB.

As an attachment, Unwritten? I'd think the mail server would reject him as spam.

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

If he does go through, can you send me a copy?
Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

If I can download him to my desktop, I bet I could configure him for automated critique mode. But can he be configured for my writing directories only, or will he comment on unrelated documents?

I can just imagine:

Dear Alice, nice to hear from you. Who's Alice? I'm glad your cat is feeling better. Cat? Where'd that come from? The books you asked about are on the way. Hope you like them. Can you explain how the books relate? I'll write more next time. I should think so!
Love,
Ruth

Yeah, I wouldn't want to print that one. Poor Alice!

[This message has been edited by MrsBrown (edited June 08, 2009).]

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Just this morning---well, technically, last night---he called us into a meeting, and started to explain how it all was going to work. I say "started," 'cause when we started asking questions---mostly "why is this being done" and "what happens if"---he got mad and stopped the explanation.

It's supposed to be implemented tonight---and it's my day off. From gossip among ourselves, we give it a week, tops.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
The Peter Principle by Dr. Laurence J. Peter and Raymond Hull may be an old book (1968), but it still has a lot to say about the way businesses are run.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
On another note, I just have to say that I love reading posts in this forum because everyone proofreads their comments.

And now, you can see why every one is so careful. One misplaced comma, and your authenticity as a writer is shot.

Mrs. Brown, that was so funny!
Melanie

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

With all due respect to Mrs. Brown and IB, I think you missed a few. My take:

Dear Alice, nice to hear from you. Too much backstory. Start when the action starts I'm glad your cat is feeling better. Cat? Where'd that come from? The books you asked about are on the way. Hope you like them. Can you explain how the books relate? I'll write more next time. POV!!!If you are writing in deep 3rd, how can she know if she'll write again?
Love,
Ruth

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that needs to go in the feedback sections, don't you?

You know you are really a writer when you send your personal letters in for critique. You know you're on Hatrack when you actually get one.

~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
<--Often imitated; never duplicated.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

LOL! Particularly applicable because of the email copies flying around... I'm still waiting for mine, Melanie.

[This message has been edited by MrsBrown (edited June 09, 2009).]

satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
IB - didn't the genie say that in Disney's Aladdin?
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Did he? You mean Robin Williams? Could be. It still applies.

The first I heard of it was Joe Frazier's upset of Mohammed Ali.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited June 09, 2009).]

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Working down Google..."Often imitated, never duplicated" had 555,000 sites...adding "origin" dropped it to about 8500...adding "quote" dropped it to 250...adding "first" put it at 50...

But none of the sites were helpful in answering the burning question of "who was the first person to say this?"

Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
No, IB, satate meant the genie. Williams was just reading the script.

But anyway, I bet you ten to one the quote was in play before that, as others have suggested.

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited June 09, 2009).]

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

Good point, Zero! When I read The Fellowship of the Rings aloud to my son, its Frodo and the others talking, even if its my voice. (But its fun to try and give them distinctive voices. Especially Sam, Gandalf, and Gollum.)
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

quote:
No, IB, satate meant the genie. Williams was just reading the script.

I hate to break it to you, Zero, but Robin Williams never just reads a script. You wouldn't believe how much he adlibs.

And, on the other side of that arguement, the genie didn't say anything...he's a drawing--Robin Williams did all the talking.

Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
What???? But that means all the other characters are just drawings too? I'm crushed. Is the Little Mermaid just a drawing? Oh no! all of my fantasies have just gone up in smoke (CGI smoke, I guess)
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

They say that when filming those TV shows starring stand-up comics ("Everybody Loves Raymond," "Home Improvement," and so on), the star / comic "one-ups" his lines when he reads 'em...
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

I am Frodo!
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Frodo! Long time no see! So what happened after you sailed out of the Grey Havens?
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Owasm, the carpet was the only CGI creation in Aladdin. The genie was actually hand-drawn.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Nickelodeon slime tastes better than it looks.
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

Since there are no more words, I ceased to exist. ~Frodo
satate
Member # 8082

IB - Now I have to know how you know what Nickelodeon slime tastes like.

Long Live Frodo!

Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

This one time, at bandcamp...
eslteacher
Member # 8640

- posted      Profile for eslteacher   Email eslteacher         Edit/Delete Post 
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...
Posts: 27 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I kinda miss eight-track tapes...
Zero
Member # 3619

IB, good luck proving he adlibbed that line.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
The makers of ALLADIN said that they had to adapt the animation to fit what Robin Williams said when he got going, and they were willing to do that because they thought his stuff was so great.

A lot of what he does is allusion to something someone else said, so I suspect that he was alluding to the Frazier/Ali upset remark. And those people who "get it" with each of the things he does like that have an extra little bit of enjoyment of his "schtick."

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

I did not know this before, but did you know he was close friends with the late Christopher Reeve?

[added] Not just friends but former college roommates.

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited June 10, 2009).]

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

No, but I knew he was with John Belushi the night (morning) he died. He'd just left him. Robin Williams claims to have changed his view on the drug scene because of it. (He really doesn't need drugs...he's already certifiable.)
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

Personally I think drugs stifled him. I saw him on Leno once right after he got out of rehab, Leno couldn't get a word in.

That reminds me of my theory of comics. There are three varieties (really four, but the fourth kinds isn't funny so I don't consider them comics) The first is the Alpha comic, when they are with other comics they beat them into submission. (Which means the other comics can't say their jokes because they are laughing too hard.) Robin Williams is an alpha comic, as is Rosie O'Donnell (which is why she had such a hard time on the view, she never let anyone else talk.) The Rocket Man guy is the most powerful I've seen. I'd like to see him face off with Williams.

Then there are Beta comics, Beta comics want to be Alpha comics but they aren't good enough. I feel for Beta comics because they are always so frustrated when in the presence of a true Alpha.

Gamma comics are secure with themselves and their position, they know they are going to get their joke in, they also know when to get their jokes in (like when Robin Williams takes a breath) They just sit back and wait for the opportunity. These make the best talk show hosts.

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Lol, the "Rocketman Guy" is Harlan Williams. So it would be Williams versus Williams. I don't think I could watch much (at one shot).
Kitti
Member # 7277

Don't forget the subdivision between those who have a set patter and those who involve the audience. I went out to a live comedy show the other weekend, and ended up being seated in the front row. Let me tell you, I was cringing in anticipation of the jokes at my expense... but somehow the comedians managed to pick on everyone in my party except me (whew) and the birthday girl! Still, I have to say, my favorite comedian out of the bunch was the one who kept audience mockery to a minimum.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Lotsa these guys leave me cold and unlaughing...I never thought Rosie O'Donnell was particularly funny.

Then again, I've got the first four seasons of "SNL" on DVD...I watch their stuff, particularly the Weekend Update segments, and think: Did I really think this was funny back then?

Saw an odd reference to Rosie O'Donnell the other day. I was reading a biography of Curtis LeMay. (You may have heard the stereotype, but, like all of them, the real story behind it is more complex and interesting.)

The relative quote is this: "Within days of the Japanese surrender, LeMay, Rosie O'Donnell, and Barney Giles were ordered to fly three B-29s back to the States." I read that, and said, "WHAT?"

A quick look in the index pointed me to an earlier reference I had missed, to one Wing Commander Emmett "Rosie" O'Donnell, "a native New Yorker with a thick Brooklyn accent." Mystery solved...though I wonder if that Rosie O'Donnell is related to the Rosie O'Donnell we all know, and, well, know.

philocinemas
Member # 8108

I think Ron White is funny - he's the only one on the Blue Collar circuit that really doubles me over.
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

The types of Comedian has more to do with how they interact with each other than with the audience. I like classic O'Donnel.

Did you know that Harland Williams once glued his shoes to the Eiffel Tower?

shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
I once glued my fingers together.
Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

I never thought I'd find someone I could say this about, but I think Robert Nowall might google more things than I do.
satate
Member # 8082

Haha Shimiqua you are funny and that was true randomness. There I was just reading through the random posts, procrastinating editing, and then your post almost made me snort with laughter. Good thing it didn't cause my babies are sleeping.

I once forgot to bring my flute on a band trip to another state.

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.