Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Random musings. (Page 19)

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: Random musings.
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
post 900

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Farrah Fawcett also died today.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
One Expected (Fawcett) and one finally going from the living dead to the dead dead (Jackson).

Somehow I am more saddened by Fawcett and her positive attitude than M. Jackson and his addled attitude.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but Fawcett didn't record Thriller.

Thriller

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder who will be the third.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

Never mind. I just heard that Ed McMahon died earlier this week.
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
The amazing thing is that everyone everwhere knows Michael Jackson. Interesting interesting guy.

I love his music, and although I am not one of those super fans. He was a legend, and it is kind of sad to me to hear a legend died, and from something so ordinary.

Do you know of a single person who is so famous, or infamous?

I have nothing but pity for that freaky talented manchild.

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Caught most of the Fox promo...it was "Creed," on screen, but still sounded like "Creedence" to me. Maybe I'm hearing it with ears and a brain more used to "Creedence."

All this before the Michael Jackson media circus kicked in. Given his position in pop culture, I'm not surprised at the reaction...outside of political figures, expect this kind of treatment for Paul and Ringo...maybe for Elton...Jacko might've gotten it if he'd died a lingering death, like Farrah...for any other show biz figure, it'll need something more. "Sudden" is good as always.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Y'know, at the beginning of the week, there were press reports that Walter Cronkite was near death, or at least very ill. (For those of you who aren't old enough, he was a prominent CBS anchorman / reporter, the guy right before Dan Rather.) No further word...meanwhile, Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett, and Michael Jackson have all, er, moved on.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

In some way I imagine Michael would have enjoyed being immortalized, which his early death will most certainly grant him. I wonder how long it will take for them to have people voting for "which Micheal" to be the first on a postage stamp.

Fortunately, I imagine he has alienated enough of the people who would typically be the ones to put his image on a velvet wallpiece.

philocinemas
Member # 8108

Oh, and ready yourselves for all the conspiracy-theorists who are going to say he is not really dead and this has all been staged. (We're going to hear about this for the next 40 years)
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I got to wondering...who gets custody of the Glove. (Sometime in the future, WALL-E has it. Look in the scene, early in the movie, where he "wakes up" with low power, and tries to focus his eyes on his stuff on the opposite wall of the truck. I'm pretty sure the Glove is there.)

[edited 'cause I just said "wall" when I should've said more.]

[This message has been edited by Robert Nowall (edited June 27, 2009).]

Tani
Member # 8608

- posted      Profile for Tani           Edit/Delete Post 
Alas, even I found myself wondering - is he really dead? What if it's just a publicity stunt? Yeah, the conspiracy theorists are going to have a blast with this one....

[This message has been edited by Tani (edited June 27, 2009).]

Posts: 21 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Where would you find a body that looks exactly like him?
wetwilly
Member # 1818

Robert, the glove is actually in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Museum in Cleveland. That was my favorite exhibit there.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

- posted      Profile for Natej11   Email Natej11         Edit/Delete Post 
It's already starting with family of MJ refusing to accept that his death was natural.
Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

WALL-E was in Cleveland? Imagine that.

As for the body - I haven't seen a body, have you?

satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is really long.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
thats because there is no body. MJ was not human, he was an Ancient. he asended to a higher being. i know because i hunted him for many a year to end his life before he could asend. i failed.

also Billy Mays was found dead in his house yesterday. everyone seems to be dieing. Damn

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
I think any critique of the 1st 13 should be respectful of the writer, even if the critter don't respect the words on the page. Any critique should be received with the attitude, Take what you Like and Leave the Rest. ...am I in the wrong thread?
Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just going to mention Billy Mays. Do you thing it was Antony or the ShamWow guy who did it?
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

I'm kind of glad Billy Mays won't be screaming at me anymore. He always made me feel like I was being verbally attacked by bad-ass verbal ninjas. Not as cool as it sounds.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

quote:
This thread is really long.

That was kind of the point, wasn't it?

They're dropping like flies. I heard this morning that Gale Storm died...I heard this afternoon Fred Travalena died. Now a lot of you may not remember them, one being big in the, well, mostly the seventies, and the other being very big in the fifties. (I think if Gale Storm had died fifty years ago the equivalent media storm would've been about as big as the Michael Jackson thing today.)

philocinemas
Member # 8108

Snowy Blizzard was always my favorite. Then there was Sunny Heatwave and Rock Boulder, they were great too!
wetwilly
Member # 1818

I'm kind of glad Billy Mays won't be screaming at me anymore. He always made me feel like I was being verbally attacked by bad-ass verbal ninjas. Not as cool as it sounds.
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Gale Storm. Brings back memories. She had a couple of TV shows. One was about being an activities director on a cruise ship... way before Love Boat. I was just a boy at the time. I only knew her in black and white.

Billy Mays. My heart stopped when I heard the news. I thought Willy Mays, the SF Giant. I am a Giants fan. Billy Mays drove (and will continue to drive) my wife crazy with his irritatingly loud barking. I'm sad to see anyone go, but give me a choice... he was only 49. A mere lad.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Usually they yank commercials right away when somebody in them dies---given how ubiquitous Billy Mays was, I thought there'd be some slipups somewhere, but I haven't seen any so far.

(This is only if they're easily identifiable in the commercial. When Phil Hartman was shot to death by his wife, I kept hearing his very recognizable voice in commercials for about six months or so after.)

snapper
Member # 7299

It is very, very hard to eat marshmallows through a ski mask.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a balaclava I could sell you.
Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Maybe if you slice them first...
Jeff M
Member # 7828

- posted      Profile for Jeff M   Email Jeff M         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It is very, very hard to eat marshmallows through a ski mask.

Elementary. Just sublimate the marshmallows and inhale the yummy marshmallow vapour through the ski mask.

Done and done.

Posts: 159 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
You might need a straw.
Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Wacko Jacko is dead, the king of pop will live forever.

I wonder who the next "King" will be It went from Nat Cole to Elvis to Micheal Jackson. Personally I think there is some fairy work going on there.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

quote:
Elementary. Just sublimate the marshmallows and inhale the yummy marshmallow vapour through the ski mask.

Anyone know the best way to clean gooey marshmallow vapours out of a ski mask?

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

There is no future King...the industry and the media are too fragmented to allow this sort of thing to happen. A convergence of factors might bring someone into this place...but I can't predict what they would be.

If you want to get marshmallow goo out of a ski mask, I'd recommend washing it.

philocinemas
Member # 8108

quote:
Anyone know the best way to clean gooey marshmallow vapours out of a ski mask?

Cut out a mouth opening, but that would have also been the easiest way to eat the marshmallows. Better late than never.

Unwritten
Member # 7960

I was trying to explain to my 11 year old what it was like when I was her age and Michael Jackson was everything. There really hasn't been anything like that in her lifetime. The closest I could think of was Miley Cyrus.

Now that I think of it, if you look at all the industries put together, Harry Potter has been that iconic. Funny that the internet would bring readers together but split music apart.

However, Lady Gaga has that solved. You just have to hear Pokerface once and the tune will be seared into your brain and it will stay there forever.
Melanie

[This message has been edited by Unwritten (edited July 01, 2009).]

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

There's been a fair amount of coverage on the great joy Michael Jackson brought to millions...but I don't think it excuses the great pain he brought to a certain few.
wetwilly
Member # 1818

The man was acquitted of every crime of which he was accused.
Natej11
Member # 8547

- posted      Profile for Natej11   Email Natej11         Edit/Delete Post 
Well what celebrity isn't?
Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
check this out i thought it was funny as hell.

Winnie the Pooh meets Apocalypse Now (Apocalypse Pooh)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj_YPJvia8A

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Last I heard, Scotland has something on the menu besides "guilty" and "not guilty." "Not proven." I wish this were available in the United States, 'cause Jackson's crimes and acquittal both fall into that category.
Jeff M
Member # 7828

- posted      Profile for Jeff M   Email Jeff M         Edit/Delete Post 
This morning as I was leaving for work, I turned the corner and saw a heavy-set man, say late-50's, not particularly overweight and not particularly muscled, but somewhere in between. He had wavy salt-and-pepper hair and a broad nose, with rough but clean shaven skin the colour of faded leather that made him appear Greek or at least of some other Mediterranean heritage. He was wearing a light grey suit and a white shirt, open collar, no tie.

He was standing on the sidewalk talking to a hedge.

Now that's grist.

Posts: 159 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DWD
Member # 8649

- posted      Profile for DWD   Email DWD         Edit/Delete Post 
I should say so! The guy was clearly off his rocker.

Any sane person would know that hedges are nocturnal.

Hope he didn't rouse it--there'd be hell to pay.

Posts: 88 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Yesterday, at the Barnes & Noble, I was standing in the SF section when, a row over, this woman started yelling at her kid. The kid was crying. I mean, I've heard moms yelling at their kids before, and this kid may have been been misbehaving...but, man, she used language and words I wouldn't have used to an adult. (The "F" word was prominently represented, and she said a certain backsided piece of anatomy would be hers when they got back to the car.)

I wonder right now, and may wonder for some time, whether I should have gone with my feelings and said something to her.

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Tasteless Joke Warning:

What's black and white and comes in little cans?

Zombie Michael Jackson.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Robert, often when people do say something to a mother who is swearing out her crying kid, what they say is likely to make the situation worse.

I've heard that the best thing to do is approach the woman as if she is the victim, not the kid. "Can I help you? Are you all right? It's hard doing any shopping with a kid. Would you like to sit down for a minute?" And so on, because that kind of response is less likely to put her on the defensive and lead her to really take it out on the kid later.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh, and ready yourselves for all the conspiracy-theorists who are going to say he is not really dead and this has all been staged. (We're going to hear about this for the next 40 years)

Sounds like you know something I don't. Were you actually present at his 'death'?

Hey! *calls to everyone else*

Philocinemas was actually present at Michael Jackson's death and can confirm he didn't die!

(let the chinese whispers begin!)

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited July 02, 2009).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate when people whisper, I can hear it along with the stupid little rasp, the spit pooling and slurping in their mouths. I'd rather they yell in Chinese.

I agree that saying something in the store might make things worse. Chances are the mother will feel a "see! you embarrassed me!" type of thing.

Dude I just saw a sheep on a ship shave a man hanging from from a cliff with a telescoping razor. You see the sheep had cotton in his ears and misheard "Save me!"

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

I have been on the phone waiting for tech support for 36 minutes and 11 seconds now. When I got on the phone they said the current wait time was 10 minutes. Do you think I've been put in neverland and ought to hang up and try again, or do you think I should wait it out????

37 minutes and 6 seconds now....
Melanie

This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.